SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Death penalty

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Frin
Greetings in Jesus' Name by Whose Blood we are Saved.AMEN.

perhaps our slackness in enforcing law maybe to protect ourselves as we may well be guilty and thus subject to the punishment! all the same God would surely give us the recompense for our iniquity if we don't repent!

as for Christians in war, i would say let each man follow whatever God has decreed and find this out in prayer. Some are to bear the sword and others not according to what God desires. you believe fervently that you ought not take part in it and that's fine and i don't doubt that is God putting you where He wants you to be regarding that matter.

i had wanted to be a naval aviator at one time but God evidently had other plans and that never materialized. i don't see myself in the military unless God has it in mind and hasn't revealed it to me as yet.

Grace and Peace are ours in Jesus.AMEN.

2007/10/21 22:03Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Death penalty

Brethren, what you think of this testimony, could we get something from it, in the light of this subject:

[url=http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=6cfc29378e24829cddba&page=&viewtype=&category=]
Son of Sam/Son of hope - Part 1[/url]
[url=http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=197d28aaf795711fc8f6&page=&viewtype=&category=]Son of Sam/Son of hope - Part 2[/url]
[url=http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=cd1adab3a44996fd6b97&page=&viewtype=&category=]Son of Sam/Son of hope - Part 3[/url]

His site: www.forgivenforlife.com/

2007/10/21 22:14Profile
ThePilgrim

Re:

Thank you for you patience.
Please let me reply.

Those who claim to be: "concerned about an imbalance being represented in my statement." Could it be that you are more concerned for doctrine than Christ himself. This is a very emotive debate and one that we should not seek to be merely doctrinal correct.

It is conceded that Christ is the God of all Judgement, and that he will destroy the wicked.
It is conceded that He is the Law giver!

But the question of life is not a book of facts, figures or doctrines.
What does the law represent?
What do the great doctrines of the scriptures represent?
Are they not there as reveltions regarding the nature of Christ?
And was the revelation of Christ complete in the Old Testament?
When Phillip asked to see the Father, Christ said "Don't you know me Philip"

He is saying to Philip, all you need to know about God, the way He behaves, the way He ministers, the way He loves is seen, and can only be known in Me.

The ideals regarding the death penalty can only be understood in light of the MAN CHRIST JESUS, because we on both sides of the argument can offer conclusive "prooftexts" to enforce our own religious stands. However, the new creastion is compelled to think in light of this man from Nazareth, the one who preached hell to the religious hypocite and mercy to those still bearing the scent of thier sin.

Please let us examine all "truths" in the simple light of what we know to be true in our great God and Savior.

If a condemed and guilt man is to die at the hands of the state, then let him die. However, let the hand that brings death, not be the hand of Christ in His body.

Greater Love Hath No Man.....you know the rest.

The Pilgrim

2007/10/23 13:00Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Death penalty

Dear Crusader,

All passges in the OT refer to theocratic Israel and cannot quite be applied to gentile governments.
In Ro 13:4 says
4For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

This passage acknowledges the right of the pagan and idolatrous Roman Empire to execute judgement including capital punishmentas God's servant or proxy.

I believe that this is true for today and is extended to all governments, regardless to what degree they are opposed to God's will.

narrowpath

2007/10/23 13:49Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

I saw this thread, and I had a couple of thoughts about it.

1. God says that He has set up the governments.

That does not excuse a nation, or say that God ordains every law, but it is just a thought.

2. I have never been completely for or against the death penalty.

While it is the responsibility of the government to intervene, whether they are Christian or not, I have wondered what the government should do should it become a Christian government.

3. Lastly, I'm from Texas, where we execute the most people.

I believe that the punishment should fit the crime.

If you steal, you should pay for what you stole.

If you kill, how is it justice to let you live?

This may sound a bit strange, but if my state would institute public whippings, or floggings for crime, then perhaps I would lean less towards a death penalty, and more towards that type of penalty and imprisonment.
------------------------------------------------------

We must remember that God himself has judged people with death in the new testament for lying.

2007/10/23 18:22Profile
ThePilgrim

Re:

Ben Williams wrote:

I believe that the punishment should fit the crime.

If you steal, you should pay for what you stole.

If you kill, how is it justice to let you live?

Ben, life does not exist because of what you believe. Life does not exist because of what you do. Life is the gift of God. This subject is not about what we believe or what we would do.
The crux of the matter is this. Should a Born Again Christian minister the death penalty? Could you by proxy execute a person for thier crime against God?

Think about it? What would Jesus say to the thief today? What would He say to the Murderer? What would He say to the Adulterer?
What would He say to you?

Where would our theology be if Saul of Tarsus had got his just deserts?

Where would we be if we recieved our true deserts in this life.

Please detach this subject from final judgement. This is about the ministration of Christ in this earth. The only testimony they will have of Him today is what they get from His body. How sick we are when men can claim to be for the penalty of death and still claim knowlege of Christ.

What happens in the Texas jailhouse is no different to what happened out in the field in Genesis 4.

I hope that God will teach me the meaning mercy.
And if He does, this I know, that others will benefit from what God has done in my undeserving heart.

God bless us all

The Pilgrim

2007/10/24 12:51Profile

Re:

Scripture repeatidly allows for civil authorities to carry out the death penalty as a part of civil justice. Jesus did not change, alter or make it obsolete in any way, shape or form.

Many people come to this discussion and say things like "I cant see Jesus condemning someone to the death penalty!" ...yet they [b]choose to ignore[/b] the story of the sheep and the goats that Christ told Himself, and how He himself will seperate the sheep from the goats... and He Himself will cast the goats into eternal death.

If that isnt a death penalty... I dont know what is.

The penalty is godly, scriptural... and not up for debate if you truly know how to divide the Word of Truth. But too many believers believe in a "pollyanny" Jesus, which is not based on reality or truth.

God has ordained governmental authority to carry out justice. Yes, it has been abused, and still is today. Yet that doesnt change the fact that it is the way God Himself set things up. Dont like it? Sue God.

Personally... I believe in the death penalty for child molesters/rapists. Thats a step further than most pro death penalty people go.

Krispy

2007/10/24 13:10

Re:

Quote:
Think about it? What would Jesus say to the thief today? What would He say to the Murderer? What would He say to the Adulterer?

I can tell you exactly what He will say if they do not repent and leave their sins behind...

Matthew 25:41 [i]Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels[/i]

Revelation 21:8 [i]But the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the [b]second death[/b].[/i]

Sounds like a death penalty to me. And those are the words of Jesus.

death penalty = justice

God is a just God. Only an unjust God would let sin go unpunished. It's because of God's justice that He must deliver the penalty of eternal death on those who reject Him.

His mercy is what allows us who believe to escape death.

Most believers today only want to believe in the merciful God, and pretend the God of justice doesnt exist. Thats wrong... thats not the God of the Bible.

And since Jesus IS God... you see what I am saying?

God is love, God is mercy, God is patient. [b]BUT[/b] God is also justice, God is fear inspiring, God is not to be toyed with.

We have to accept the total personality of who God is, or we are not believing in the God of the Bible... we're believing in a fairy tale God that some Hollywood movie has deceived us into believing. Kinda like the God of that TV show "Touched By An Angel"... what a piece of deception that show was.

Krispy

2007/10/24 13:23
ThePilgrim

Re:

Krispy said:
God has ordained governmental authority to carry out justice. Yes, it has been abused, and still is today. Yet that doesnt change the fact that it is the way God Himself set things up. Dont like it? Sue God.

Personally... I believe in the death penalty for child molesters/rapists. Thats a step further than most pro death penalty people go.

Well Krispy, it seem s you are more interested in veangance that mercy.

He does not ordain Government, he allows them to exist.
Christ said His Kingdom was not of this world!

You believe in death penaly for certain crimes. God say that all sin brings death.

Again, what you are doing, sheep and goats, is confusing the Last Judgement with the actual work and nature of Christ in this world today. His work is to minister mercy...for all men.

What did that Angel say: Peace and GOODWILL to ALL men.

Hey why stop at molesters and murderers? Why dont we fry bigots too.

Sue God...I don't think so!

What is it that defines Christians...Oh yes...They Will KNow You Are My Disciples For The Love You Have...One For Another.

Hey! Wasn't that a commandement or something he gave us.

Please read the early post reagrding that young girls murdered by your goverment...and has that death made us more..or less like Christ.

Krispy...time to brake those strongholds.

The Pilgrimm

2007/10/24 13:44Profile

Re:

Quote:
Well Krispy, it seem s you are more interested in veangance that mercy.

Here you are judging my thoughts and my motives... basically whats in my heart. How can you do that? Are you God? I didnt give any reason for why I believe that about child molestors/rapists... so you are assuming things about me that are false.

Quote:
He does not ordain Government, he allows them to exist.

Really? Now I have to question how well you know and understand scripture.

Rom 13:1-4 [i]Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are [b]ordained of God[/b]. Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the [b]ordinance of God[/b]: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same: For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.[/i]

I think that says it all...

Quote:
You believe in death penaly for certain crimes. God say that all sin brings death.

Yes, in the end all sinners who have not repented and accepted Christ's sacrifice will meet eternal death. But as far as here in this life, there is a distinction between crimes and punishment. A simple read thru of Leviticus, Dueteronomy & Numbers will show you that.

Quote:
Again, what you are doing, sheep and goats, is confusing the Last Judgement with the actual work and nature of Christ in this world today. His work is to minister mercy...for all men.

No, I'm not confusing anything. I responded to your statement that Jesus would not condemn a criminal to death... but thats not true. He in fact does! You're just trying to play games with my words, and with God's word.

Quote:
Hey why stop at molesters and murderers? Why dont we fry bigots too.

This doesnt even deserve an answer.

Quote:
What is it that defines Christians...Oh yes...They Will KNow You Are My Disciples For The Love You Have...One For Another.

OK... this is a true statement, and one that I agree with 100%. No problem. However, God is love. Right? Is God the same yesterday, today and forever? Yes. Then you agree that God has [b]always[/b] been love. But according to YOUR definition of love, justice should not be meated out. So how can God be a God of love, yet in Exodus he killed an entire family in the desert for the sin of one man?

See... this is a lot more complex than "Jesus loves everybody... buy the world a coke."

Quote:
Krispy...time to brake those strongholds.

No, brother... it's time to base our perception on the character of God (Jesus) on [i]scripture[/i], and not Veggie Tales. Veggie Tales is fine for 4 year olds, but there comes a time when we must mature and dig a little deeper for the truth.

Krispy

2007/10/24 14:39

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy