SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : DO NOT RESPOND - unless you have victory over sin!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Here's a quote from Matthew Henry's concise commentary on Matthew 22:14 (For many are called, but few [are] chosen.)

Quote:
Many are called to the wedding-feast, that is, to salvation, but few have the wedding-garment, the righteousness of Christ, the sanctification of the Spirit. Then let us examine ourselves whether we are in the faith, and seek to be approved by the King.

2006/4/27 7:45Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Brothers and Sisters,

I have read all the posts on this thread and I fell MeAgain has been vilified without cause.

If my posts were said to be inspired by the spirit of the antichrist I would probably want to defend myself. And so would the rest of you want to defend yourselves if the same claim was made about your doctrine or theology.

God bless you all.

Murray

2006/4/27 9:31Profile
TheophilusMD

New Jersey

Re: On being "defenseless"

Quote:
If my posts were said to be inspired by the spirit of the antichrist [u]I would probably want to defend myself[/u]. And so would [u]the rest of you want to defend yourselves[/u] if the same claim was made about your doctrine or theology.

I think herein lies the problem. When we learn [b]NOT[/b] to defend [b]ourselves[/b] but only our doctrinal positions or beliefs then the tendency to get personal will be taken cared of. When things (which is everything here) that need to be spiritually discerned are forced unto others, it's definitely not the Spirit at work. Aren't we all after truth? May we all learn the mercy of the Lord. As Bro. Ron B. and others have repeatedly said: Play the ball, not the man!

2006/4/29 11:05Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re: DO NOT RESPOND - unless you have victory over sin!

I just wanted to say that I am somewhat sickened and saddened by the majority of responses. I really appreciated the first few (especially what Josiah and MeAgain wrote, thank you)but after delving into a bit of the rest i really just couldnt even read on. Im sure there may have been a few other good posts as well, and I thank those of you who spoke honestly, from a pure heart and genuine motives of love.

But I am just overall very saddened by the overwhelming number of posts that are here that were posted with a spirit of pride, arrogance, slander, and "intruding into those things which he has not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind, and not holding fast to the Head"

Again, I wanted to thank those who are really in a position to help someone to be free, who gave experienced, wise answers and not just opinions or theories about victory. I want to thank those of you who answered with a pure motive of love and a desire to help.

Ive been very dissatisfied with SI's message boards lately :-(
I hope something can be done to prevent this from happening. It seems like this is what happens to u]every single post[/u] anymore.

2006/4/30 21:51Profile

Re:

Victory over sin, is when your living and walking in the Presence of God. When you walk and ABIDE in TRUTH, LOVE, FAITH you are NOT walking in sin.

::Edit:: Sorry, I didn't say how to do this. By SERVING everyone that you meet. Being honest, but gentle.

2006/5/1 0:14
W_D_J_D

Re:

JFEdgar.....

(2 Timothy 4:3)
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears"

(2 Timothy 4:4)
"They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths"

Do you want to hear the truth? Or do you want the tickling or your ears?

I believe everyone posted out of what they thought was correct...

My response to your claims...is simply read the bible....

PERFECT......
(Mt 5:48). (Mt 19:21). (Joh 17:23). (Rom 12:2). (2Co 13:11). (Eph 4:13). (Php 3:12). (Col 1:28 ). (Col 4:12 ). (1Th 3:10 ). (2Ti 3:17). (Heb 7:19). (Heb 12:23). (Heb 13:21). (Jas 1:4). (Jas 3:2). (1Pe 5:10). (1Jo 4:17).

(Rom 6-8) (6. dead to sin.) (7. old life of flesh = death.) (8. life in the spirit = life)

HOLY.........
(2 Cor 7:1). (Eph 1:4). (Eph 5:27). (Col 1:22). (1Pe 1:15-16). (2Pe 3:11). (Rev 22:14)

PURE.....
(Mat 5:8). (Jas 1:27). (1Jo 3:3).

(And there is much more than those scriptures given....) And there is nothing contrary to that abundance of scriptures...

Brothers and sisters.....reading these scriptures is proof... away from any of your doctrines or theologies that have origins outside of the bible.

.....Grace does not teach us that it is ok to sin and the law is gone....
(Titus 2:12)
"Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;"

....rather......
(Romans 3:31)
"Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law."

May God bless u all!

2006/5/1 2:00Profile
W_D_J_D

Re:

This has to be one of my favorite quotes ever....

"Repentance is to leave
The sin we loved before,
And show that we in earnest grieve
By doing so no more."
-Charles Spurgeon

and this one goes hand in hand with it....

"What we mean by salvation is this—deliverance from the love of sin, rescue from the habit of sin, setting free from the desire to sin."
-Charles Spurgeon

2006/5/1 2:08Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
(And there is much more than those scriptures given....) And there is nothing contrary to that abundance of scriptures...

These scriptures given us a very good picture of what holiness and victory over sin looks like, but it is another thing to show what the source of holiness and victory are.

If it is ourselves, then it is self rightousness. And this is even a greater evil than un rightousness because it excludes us from the rightousness of God, puffs us up and makes us believe we are something when we are not.

But the Source of Victory is Christ Himself who is the Victorious One and the Holy One. And any holiness or rightousness which is not the fruit of His indwelling Life expressed in us and through us is just ourselves and our natural religious nature.

Indeed the scriptures give us many pictures, illustrations, encouragements, and commands in regard to holiness and victory of sin. But from where does this proceed? What is it's source? Our own nature? Our own will power? Our own ability to muster up the determinination to do what we believe is right?

Or is holiness and victory over sin the result of contacting Christ, of abiding in Christ, of being filled with Christ, of faith in Christ? Are we the Source or is the Spirit of the Living, crucified and resurrected Christ the source of our Victory and holiness?

"That I may be found in Him, not having a rightousness of my own derived from law, but that which comes through faith in Christ. The Rightousness which comes from God on the baisis of faith. That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of HIs sufferings, being conformed to His death... (Phil. 3)

I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ lives in me, and the life I now live in the flesh, I live in faith, the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me (Gal. 2:20)

The just requirement of the law is continually fulfilled in us who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

For the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8)

I suggest we need to apprehend the Bible, study it, understand it, enter into it's meaning, and seek the Lord for His Light on it. Then we can know the proper distinctions between law and grace, Faith and works, Self effort and Christ as our indwelling overcomming all victorious Life.

Then the Bible ceases to be a book of law but becomes a book of Life. And we cease to stive and enter into His rest, then we cease to look to ourselves and look unto Jesus, the author and finnisher of our faith. Then we will experience the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus setting us free from the law of sin and of death.

Graftedbranch

2006/5/1 11:28Profile
Scroggins

Dallas, TX

Re:

Amen Brother, AMEN!

That is a wonderful explaination.

Jesus Christ our Lord and GOD is great! Do not seek the "sinless perfection" Brothers and Sisters, seek the living GOD, seek Christ.

Freedom from sin is provided by Jesus Christ, not by our own means.

How amazing, how sweet.
HIS GRACE.

In Love of Christ,
Scroggins

2006/5/1 12:02Profile
linda7

West Sussex, England

Re: DO NOT RESPOND - unless you have victory over sin!

OBEDIENCE!

2006/5/1 15:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy