SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Anyone Else Have This Problem?

Today my landlord was over to repair something. And what does he do in the middle of a conversation? He took the Lord's name in vain. Right in front of my face! Now people, I have scripture verses pasted up all over the place, from the time you enter my front entryway they are visible. I also have them in the bathroom, the kitchen, and the office. He KNOWS my beliefs. Nonetheless, I don't think he is doing it on purpose, i really think he doesn't think about it first; it's a habit.

Anyway, every time he or anyone else does this, I am SO shocked and taken aback that I fail to even respond. Nor do I know WHAT to say. I am not quick on my feet like some people. And I never see it coming. NEVER. So i am left standing there in shock with no rebuke or reply or anything. Then when he leaves I fret that God will be angry at ME for not having said something but I don't even know what to say! If i were to get angry and rebuke such people they then can turn around and start doing the behavior even more, just to try to provoke me. Someone did in fact do that at my workplace back many years ago when one woman I DID confront numerous times about this received my GENTLE rebukes with offense. In addition to this, so many people talk like this that I am very tired of policing other people's behavior! I don't feel it should be my job to police other people's speech or behavior. I also don't think that most people realize what they are saying nor do they mean any offense to me and if i were to rebuke them they would be hurt and driven further away from Christianity. Plus, I cant expect lost sinners to behave like anything but lost sinners.

What should i do? What should i say? Anything? I am horrified.

2011/5/27 17:48
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re: Anyone Else Have This Problem? (His Name in vain)

This happened to me yesterday and I was thinking similar thoughts.

You said, " I cannot expect lost sinners to act anything but like lost sinners".

I would agree with This fully. What good will it do me to appeal to the correction of certain behaviors if there is no internal change driving it. This should an area where our discernment antenna should go up and we should be very sensitive to the one before us. Super large chance that there is one in our midst that we should look for the opportunity to minister to. We would also realize if this be the case that we have a new addition to our prayer life. We can see the things that offend us and try to stop them. It is good that we are offended for we should be sensitive to sin. However most we come into contact are the walking condemned, just as we were before Christ. I can see no good in asking one to clean the outside of their cup when the inside is filthy and empty.

Another couple thoughts maybe worth talking about might be the ways that We take his name in vain.

2011/5/27 18:22Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

I have had this to me on numerous occasions. Some times I say something, some times I do not. Sometimes they hear, some times they do not. I have one lady that I correct her often (I work with dementia residents in a nursing home), and every time she says it she looks at me. It is funny the things they remember and the things they do not...

2011/5/27 18:28Profile
Know-Him

Re: Anyone Else Have This Problem?

I know a man who is bold in his witness for Jesus. When someone uses the Lord's name in vain he uses it as an opportunity to witness by saying something like this - "So you know my friend then?" To which he normally gets a confused response of "Who, what friend?" He will reply "My best friend, you just mentioned his name." He uses the fact that they have used the name of Jesus to open a conversation about Jesus. Just a thought.

2011/5/27 20:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
I can see no good in asking one to clean the outside of their cup when the inside is filthy and empty.

Well said. But even John the Baptist rebuked Herod for taking his brother Phillip's wife.

I just need to know whether God is going to be angry at ME for not saying something to that person. But i never know what to say! And being that it is my landlord,he might just say right back to me, "It's my property and I will say anything i like!!" I mean, legally it is his property.

I have scriptures taped up all over my apartment but they are mostly for my own benefit and memory. If i were to tape up the scripture verse about taking the Lord's name in vain it might be viewed as nothing more than self-righteous, so i havent done that.

2011/5/27 20:36

Re:

Quote:
I know a man who is bold in his witness for Jesus. When someone uses the Lord's name in vain he uses it as an opportunity to witness by saying something like this - "So you know my friend then?" To which he normally gets a confused response of "Who, what friend?" He will reply "My best friend, you just mentioned his name."

Good idea, but i never get the chance, being frozen in shock. Like i said, i am really slow to react to things, i am not quick on my feet. The guy is already continuing talking by the time i regain my balance. Also, if i embarrass him or anyone else with something like this they will just take offense just the same as if i had rebuked them; people see through stuff like this.

2011/5/27 20:41

Re:

I would let the spirit lead you in this, but ephesians 5 says that we are to reprove the works of darkness. My wifes family purposely uses the name of the Lord in vain in front of me especially when many of them our around and they mock God, in my case I try to not let them get to me. I even stopped going over their as much because of it. If you read in Psalm 1 and even with jeremiah they said to not sit with the mockers and to avoid them to honor God. In your situation, let the Spirit lead you and take examples from the prophets and apostles and Jesus and how they approached it. They had no fear of the mockers and guess what if they mock you back or make fun of it or do it more remember that is suppose to be the normal reaction of the ungodly.

2011/5/27 21:00

Re:

Probably my first three words were curse words, and after that I could strip wallpaper with my tongue. THEN someone got my attention.

I have worked in very tough environments, and have heard all that I had spoken before myself. Most times now though people just don't swear around me when they get to know me. The most interesting is to see a person with the foulest of mouths talking, and then I walk into the room, and say nothing.

I have said various things to people (examples below), but my life is probably the biggest testimony.

"I used to speak like that until I learned I was going to hell, so I decided to do something about it." I only say this to people who know from where I came.

"Isn't it amazing that God is so powerful even those who despise Him can't refrain from using His name. Why do you think that is?"

"Buddha damn it, doesn't work so well, huh?"

"If you ever want things to work out better, a good place to start is to stop asking God to damn things. Enough will be damned without asking for more."

When people apologize to me:
"Don't apologize to me, I am just a man like you, take your apology to the God who you have just offended. That is what I had to do."

Remember: In general, lost people are like crocodiles, if you sit above them and poke them on the back, you will learn they are pretty hard on that side, and about all you will do is annoy them; BUT if you come from underneath, their soft belly is exposed so that you can more easily get to the heart. I admit though that it takes more courage to come underneath a crocodile than it does to just poke him on the back ;-)

OJ

2011/5/27 21:00
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

There is only One that will convict the dead heart.

John 16:7-13 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now. Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

We can ask for the reproof and conviction, and lead our life by what they see. We don't take the Lords name in vain, and no silly or course jesting.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/5/27 21:04Profile

Re:

Cyan

Ultimately, you have to remember that you have no right to be offended at the sin of another. All offense is against God. Once that is thoroughly worked through you, it will be easier to care those who used to offend you.

OJ

2011/5/27 21:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy