SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : NT and Dead Sea Scrolls

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
free

NT and Dead Sea Scrolls

I was in Jerusaleum and remember seeing Isaiah and some other OT books among the Dead Sea Scrolls. Can anyone tell me if any part of the New Testament was among the scrolls?

2006/3/17 11:34Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: NT and Dead Sea Scrolls

The Dead Sea Scrolls, to my understanding, is material dating before christ.

2006/3/17 14:22Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: NT and Dead Sea Scrolls

Hi free...

Actually, the Dead Sea Scrolls were probably scribed between C. 50-100 A.D. They were decidedly Jewish in origin. Hence, there are not any New Testament scrolls. Interestingly, there are extra-Biblical scrolls, including scrolls concerning Jewish customs -- as well as scrolls from the [i]Book of Enoch[/i] and [i]Jubilees[/i].

You will find a wealth of information by performing a simple Google search. But be careful -- there is alot of "questionable" information out there, as is true with all info on the WWW.

Hope this helps.

:-)

2006/3/17 14:33Profile

Re:

Very right Chris,

I found the Extra-Biblical writings published on the Net from the parts of the scrolls that the vatican held.

Apparently for a while or maybe still ... they were split up between Israel, Rome, and somewheres else.

But the parts that were on the Net that I read were extremely New Age writings with no basis in Scripture whatsoever.

Thanks for bringing that up. Blessed are those who have not seen (needing any "proofs") and yet still Believe.

8-)

2006/3/17 14:40
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The Dead Sea Scrolls, to my understanding, is material dating before christ.

Although there have been challenges, the Dead Sea scrolls are usually associated with the Essenes; a separatist ascetic sect which functioned around the time of Christ. They seemed to have had a community close to the Dead Sea in the vicinity of Qumran where the scrolls were found.

They were 'messianic' (ie the predicted the coming of the Messiah) but their views were pretty much rejected by orthodox Judaism and there is some evidence that they pretty much rejected orthodox Judaism.

The archaeologists, who love to create theories which make them newsworthy, sometimes make absurd statements. They have declared that John Baptist was really an Essene. There is absolutely no evidence for this but they are often driven to these peculiar conclusions by the prejudice against the gospel records. If the Bible says it, it must be wrong; what are the other alternatives?

Prior to the discovery of the Qumran texts the oldest OT manscripts were several hundred years younger than the oldest NT manuscripts. But these texts were a great discovery, although originally they were declared to be fakes. The texts included an almost complete scroll of Isaiah.

Wikepedia is often a useful place to start, but watch for their biases. Try [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_sea_scrolls]Dead Sea Scrolls[/url]

2006/3/17 15:46Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

On a side note, it is interesting to note that the Dead Sea Scrolls are on exhibition here in Charlotte, NC through mid-may at "The Discovery Place." They have a lot of special lectures being offered on them as well, though sadly, all of them are only offered on the night I have Greek class! I do look forward to taking a day and going to see them, as many say it's a once in a lifetime opprotunity unless you plan on making regular trips to Jerusalem.

2006/3/17 22:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy