SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : God save us from Scanners and OCR software!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
CyberCarbon

God save us from Scanners and OCR software!

Write more scan less?
Use quotation marks.
EDIT EDIT EDIT!

What do you think? Are those a good hook? I hope you read this and know it is offered with love and respect, many of you are much more educated and wiser than myself. I have tried to follow some of the huge quotation and very long threads and I have to confess I have had a very hard time wading through pages of scanned quotations, in doing so loose the original thread of discussion? Worse, loose interest and surf on. Now before you all get upset with me, I would like to offer this. The average web user will read about 20 seconds of text unless it really hooks them; they get bored, there gone. If you want people to read your postings, I think it would be a very good thing to read them TWICE before you post them. The reasons are twofold, first corrections and editing; the second is to double check if it is too long. Now if you think that is too much of a hassle or takes too long. Then you can bet everybody else will agree with you and not read it. I hope this does not seem too abrasive or offensive to you, it is offered in a spirit on love.

God Bless you all, I have put on my helmet and have fasten my seatbelt.

2005/12/31 14:06Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: God save us from Scanners and OCR software!

Quote:
Now if you think that is too much of a hassle or takes too long. Then you can bet everybody else will agree with you and not read it. I hope this does not seem too abrasive or offensive to you, it is offered in a spirit on love.

I personally think that writing more and also using quotations is a good thing. Just having flashy thread titles and short abreviated discussion posts leaves people with very many questions and an opening to mis-interpretation. Also the quality is important of the posts on this site and thats why I propogate the idea which is not practiced much in discussion forums to post prayerfully and take discussions seriously. So therefore we have many meaningful conversation threads going on which are good and suitable for reference and research work. And my prayer is that these discussions will add to the site and not take away from the site.

That was my initial problem with the forums I was scared that they would lessen or damage the site being beside such audio sermons of quality and audio sermon text writings. I personally think for people to spend more time in posts and make them more descriptive, "even using quotes" will add profitability to the discussions.

Catering to the "normal web user" that was an fast food type Christianity and gathering of information is not wise in my mind. There are enough individuals that hold to the conviction to use these forums for benifit and not for quick bite-size grabbings.

I think we need to all slow down and spend more time on fewer things. This "speed" that people go at even with religious things could be the bane of society and the quality of Christianity in our day, or at least one of them.

You have a right to your own opinion but I would rather promote what I have alluded to in this post for the method of discussions on this site.

2005/12/31 15:18Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I actually miss and covet those long discussions and posts that used to happen back at the beginning of the site. Overally the discussions seem more rushed in these days right now.

Such as this discussion:

[b]Did you attend church today?[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=206&forum=35&32

2005/12/31 15:21Profile
CyberCarbon

Re:

Thank you for taking the time to write a thoughtful answer. The reason I post those threads are to draw people into the discussion, I have to confess in many cases I am not wise enough nor educated enough to write a good answer so I post a thought provoking thread title. I have learned much on these forums, good books, different takes on ideas I had on things. I read a lot more than I post.
Really, do I always pray? No not enough like most. However, I have prayed my way out of posting many things that might of hurt, or insulted someone. Now I try to ask myself what does Jesus think of this or how would He say it.

2005/12/31 15:37Profile
brentw

Ohio

As a newbie, I'm encouraged greatly by these posts. It helps me spiritually too.

I'll confess when the post is in great length I'll scimm through it. I read alot though. I love deep thoughts and straight to the point. I really try to post as I'm lead....
"A fool utters all his mind"
Greg, Your doing a Great job!

2005/12/31 15:38Profile

Re:

What is a scanned quotation??? Im just an ignorant fisherwoman. Is that a word??? :)

2005/12/31 15:59
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Of length and endurance

Well....

I too long for those days often times, there is always a bit of flux I guess with newer members coming in and often moving on, but praise God for that, it is refreshing to just know that there is new life blood coming in and partaking and sharing.

It does require some restraint and prayer, which I also believe is a great idea and should precede our thoughts, have 'reams' of stuff that I have found to be better shelved for any number of reasons not the least of a certain prompting to "Don't" ;-)

One way of helping things is really kind of a trick of the subconscious somewhat, that is to break up long postings into parts and if we really have some patience would be to carry them over into consecutive days. A brother that used to frequent here was masterful at this, it would keep one fixed in suspension often forcing you to dwell on the text for awhile before the next section would come along. But even then, just to break them up a bit seems to 'fool' your brain a little and can make it easier to come back to as well, knowing where you left off.

One of the things that would often drive me a little nuts was to hear a message\sermon where the speaker never finished his thought, it seemed to be leading somewhere and then .... left you feeling cheated, sometimes it's by necessity to cause one to reflect but just as often it would seem to be but a dead end.

2005/12/31 16:07Profile
CyberCarbon

Re:

Some people who post lengthy posting use OCR software and scanners to capture large amounts of text, they cut and past it into their postings. A tell tell sign is when the "ë" and the "a" are confused by the scanner and software.

Happy New Year

2006/1/1 13:58Profile

I partly agree with you Greg about lengthy posts.

As long as the post is not boring, and not saying the same things over and over for example, "Like I said", "I repeat", or "let me reiterate".

I remember hearing about a talk show host in the states who used to hang up on people who'd say, "like I said", he figured that if it was already spoken why speak it again. I laughed my head off when I heard that. *click*

I like reading Philogos material he seems to keep your attention thru detail.

Since you mentioned that the posts are short due to a hurried lifestyle, I figured that those who write such long posts, pack your posts with details, avoid long paragraphs break them up so it can be easily read and so the reader can breath.

Just some thoughts.

LS

2006/1/1 14:09
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: English and Grammar Lessons at SI

Quote:
Since you mentioned that the posts are short due to a hurried lifestyle, I figured that those who write such long posts, pack your posts with details, avoid long paragraphs break them up so it can be easily read and so the reader can breath.

Great suggestions brother.

2006/1/1 15:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy