SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 5

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Great Quotes 5

New Thread, share your favorite quotes, long, short, one's that don't fit in other categories. Also for reference is the locked topic of the first Great Quotes thread here:

Great Quotes
Great Quotes 2
Great Quotes 3
Great Quotes 4

---

"Let a man set his heart only on doing the will of God and he is instantly free. If we understand our first and sole duty to consist of loving God supremely and loving everyone, even our enemies, for God's dear sake, then we can enjoy spiritual tranquility under every circumstance."
-A.W. Tozer

2005/11/26 14:32Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

Re: Great Quotes 5

"Only when we are captured by an overwhelming sense of awe and reverence in the presence of God, will we begin to worship God in spirit and in truth."
-Alistair Begg

2005/11/26 16:01Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

John Wesley one day walked to his mother and asked: [i]"Mum, define sin for me"[/i]. Her aswer was this:

"Whatever weakens your reasoning, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes away your relish for spiritual things, in short, if anything increases the authority of the flesh over the spirit, that to you becomes sin, however good it is in itself."

2005/11/26 17:13Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi sermonindex...!

I just finished searching through the older [i]Great Quotes[/i] threads, and I was surprised at how blessed I was! There is some wonderfully convicting statements located in those threads! Thanks again for sharing!

:-)

2005/11/27 2:45Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

"Sometimes the greatest thing a Christian can do is take a nap."
[b]Warren Wiersbe[/b]

2005/11/27 3:36Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

"It is not difficult to say what it is that hardens the hearts. The seed sown by the wayside could not enter the soil because it had been trodden down by the passersby. When the world, with its business and its intrests, has at all times a free passage, the heart loses its tenderness."
-Andrew Murray
From the book "The Holiest of All"

2005/11/27 4:05Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Nothing so effectually hinders hearing God's voice as opening the heart too much to other voices. A heart too deeply interested in the news, the literature, and the society of this world cannot hear the devine voice. It needs stillness, retirement, and concentration to give God the heed He claims.
-Andrew Murray
From the book "The Holiest of All"

2005/11/27 4:14Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

"When alone with God, be alone with Him"
-Samuel Chadwick

"There are blessing of The Kingdom that are only yielded to the violence of the vehement soul"
-Samuel Chadwick

(from "The Path Of Prayer" Chapter 9 "The Importunity of Prayer", paragraph "The Cost of Prayer" page 74)

2005/11/27 8:46Profile
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

[i]He (Constantine) changed his name to Silvanus, the companion of the Apostle Paul, and by attaching himself to the believers who rejected the image worship and other superstitions of the Byzantine Church, drew upon himself the anger of those in authority.
[...]
Constantine Silvanus' journeys brought him along the Euphrates valley, across the Taurus Mountains, and into western parts of Asia Minor, where his successful activities attracted the attention of the Byzantine Emperor, Constantine Pogonatus.
This Emperor issued a decree (684) against the congregations of believers and agaunst Constantine in particulair...the Emperor sent one of his officiers, Simeon to put the decree into effect.
[...]
In order to give special significance to the execution of Constantine, Simeon supplied a number of personal friends with stones and ordered them to stone the teacher whom they had so long revered and loved. Risking their own lives by their refusal, they dropped the stones, but there was a young man present named Justus, who had been brought up by Constantine as his adopted son and treated with especial kindness; he flung a stone at his benefactor and killed him.
[...]
Returning (Simeon) to Constantinople, he could find no peace of soul at the court, and after three years of inward conflict, abandoned everything, escaped to Kibossa, and there adopting the name of Titus, took up and continued the work of the man whom he had caused to be put to death.
[...]
Justus, making use of his knowledge of the ways of the brethren, gave to the bishop-and to the Emperor Justinian II- information which led to the capture of a large number of them.
Expecting to terrorize the rest of the “heretics” into submission, the Emperor had these, including Simeon, all burnt together at one time...[/i]

[i]The Pilgrim Church[/i] – [i]E.H. Broadbent[/i]

My apologies for this rather large 'quote'. But I just had to post this.
This all happened in the time that the main 'world-church' was merged with the state, indulging into worldliness, persecuting the real churches and men who refused to deny their Saviour by giving in to wicked state-religion and their ways.

It's so cool to read that this man, Simeon turned to the Lord himself!
It's so sad to hear that Justus traded in his faith for the world.

2005/11/27 9:03Profile
_Disciple_

The Netherlands

[i]"Remember kids, God made you special, and He loves you very much"[/i]
[b]-Veggie Tales[/b]

2005/11/27 11:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy