PosterThread
BruisedReed3

Nigeria

THE GODLY MAN DAILY CONTEMPLATION

1st January
THE GODLY MAN DAILY CONTEMPLATION
TOPIC: SET YOUR AFFECTION
TEXT: COL. 3:1-2

'If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God./Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.'

The christian man is one who is crucified with Christ: Gal. 2:25; buried, risen, ascended, and now sitting with Christ in heavenly places: Eph. 2:6; this is the fountain from whence flow all the streams of the saints' comfort, consolation, victory and contentment: ignorance of this fact would undo a man here and in eternity: negligence thereof would set God against him: apprehension of this historical and evangelical fact makes a man have a heaven on earth: hence our glorified apostle Paul was careful to preach nothing but Christ and Him crucified: 2 cor. 2:2. If this be not the top of our theology, then we are but shadow-boxing, gambling and dicing with our precious souls. The saints sit in heaven, but stand on earth; earth is not their resting plane, it is a harbour of spiritual labour for them; they are always on the move; they strive to get rid of loads and weights that tend to slow down their speed: for whatever does not help them in their journey, hinders them. The christian man labours to travel light; for his passage through this earth, he rejoices over a little provision: a daily bread is all he pants for, thus he is always heard praying, 'give me my daily bread; Lord, I wait for my daily manna!' Oh but, witness the earthly minded, how they pierce their hearts with many darts of sorrows, fears, anxieties and desires!

Knowing therefore where this heavenly and gracious man actually resides, the christian man must seek every thing for heaven, by heaven, with heaven and from heaven. He must not want anything for himself, but for heaven's sake--for God's glory--and such that would help him to live more like Christ; the shining of God's image in him; and the loathing of sinful appearances. His native quest is to be a-seeking of things above only. He must, in consequence, sets his affection on glorious things--things above. His affections run to grace instead of gold; contentment not greed; purity of heart not beauty of face; good name not great name: he labours vigorously to set and always a-setting, his affections on things above. The christian man is a glorious and gra​cious man, in that his affection is turned from things base to things precious--the immortal souls, communion with God, gospel mission and heaven. My friends and brothers, exercise yourself today in resetting your affections: set your affections on things above! Recover your love from trifles and baubles to spend it on pearls--things that last for ever.

*Prayer* : Lord, my affection was sold into the hand of things sublunary by my federal head and father, Adam: I moan and cry for earthly things; it is my natural belching and goings: but Lord, help thou me to reset them today by thy grace, so that from hence, they would be set on thee alone! Amen!

2022/12/31 18:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy