SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What Happened to The Evangelist?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Just on a personal note, I believe if anybody here feels called as an evangelist, Biblically speaking, I believe your primary preaching is going to be done outside of the Church, very likely on the streets. The ministry gift of evangelist for the Church, I believe will ultimately be in provoking others to do evangelism. It seems Biblical speaking, itinerant ministry within the Church seems to be areas primarily for apostles and prophets.

2005/7/28 20:18Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

KJ,

It seems that we are both basically thinking alike, but are both splitting hairs of minor points, which I suppose what this site is all about.

Concerning open-air, I couldn't agree more. My witnessing buddy and I have been doing one-on-one street evangelism, and both want to warm up to street preaching at the local square. After reading the open-air preachers on this site, I have thought about starting Sunday morning meetings there before going to my own church. So there we agree.

We also agree about evangelism. I think saints, every last one of us, should be instructed around the fact that we are all commanded to be fishers of men. Which, by the grace of God, is underway at our church, via an evangelism ministry.

Concerning traveling "church" evangelists, I know where you are coming from. I know that salt will not cure a wound, but only preserve what is good. However, during an awakening, as I have heard from the likes of Charles Finney, J Edwin Orr, Duncan Campbell, etc, that these sleepy, backslidden Christians are brought to repentance during these revivals. I understand there is not a Biblical program for the traveling evangelist, but I don't limit it to the open-air, any more than I limit it to the inside of a church building. This type of evangelist could light a spark in one heart that could later become an spreading inferno in time.

Wesley preached only 6 times in churches out of his last 600 sermons, but he did preach in churches. I don't think you would dispute the work of Leonard Ravenhill. He was certainly open-air, but he also got around in churches. I have ran into three people lately who had him come to their church. One of which catered to him during his visit, the other had Brother Len come to his house.

Since God is not concerned with brick and mortar in reference to where revival starts and ends, I see that people on both sides of the church walls need an awakening alike. And as J Edwin Orr says, "May God grant it."

2005/7/29 0:18Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

It seems that we are both basically thinking alike, but are both splitting hairs of minor points, which I suppose what this site is all about.

To some degree, I think we both firmly believe evangelists travel and that they preach :) I think where we differ is concerning their target audience. Regarding Finney, Wesley and the like, while their primary gifting might have been as evangelists, I think they probably had other giftings as well. Wesley seemed to be quite the avid teacher as well. Many ministers seem to have several giftings.

However, I think it quite sad that one somewhat large church near me sponsors one of our denomionational evangelists, and on their web site they put this evangelist as their "outreach" minister. Yet, all he does is go from church to church to preach "revivals." Granted, there are likely some unsaved people at the Churches he goes to, but this is hardly what I'd call outreach.

2005/7/29 12:15Profile
Lawevangelis

Justin, TX

Re:

According to Eph. 4:11, an evangelist's gifting is for the church to train them to do the work of the ministry of evangelism. An evangelist is not someone like Charles Finney or anyone else who goes out to preach the Gospel. An evangelist is someone in the church who has the purpose of training others how to share their faith.

People who go out to seek and save the lost have another name. I have come to this conclusion after much in depth research and personal experience. The Greek term that is used for this person is the much used but little understood term...wait for it...

CHRISTIAN.

Christians share their faith. As Spurgeon said, if a professing Christian has no concern for the lost, then they are not saved themselves, be sure of that.

To get equipped, check out www.livingwaters.com and www.thegreatnews.com

lawevangelist

2005/7/29 15:11Profile
Slow2Speak

Re:

Thanks,

We have established that there are two different types of function for or of an EVANGELIST,

According to Ephesians Chapter 4

There are three things the Evangelist must keep in mind, that

1. First, to walk worthy of their calling;

2. Second, the spirit in which they were to do so;

3. Third, diligence in maintaining the unity of the Spirit by the bond of peace. It is important to observe, that this unity of the Spirit is not similarity of sentiment, but the oneness of the members of the body of Christ established by the Holy Ghost, maintained practically by a walk according to the Spirit of grace. Amen

I am very interested in this, and will diffently look into the links you have provided. I just love that NAME

8-)

2005/7/29 16:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy