SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Carter Conlon Exclusive: Why Your Prayers May Not Yield Results

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Carter Conlon Exclusive: Why Your Prayers May Not Yield Results

Prayer isn't just another box to be checked off at the end of the day for Pastor Carter Conlon. It's his entire ministry—and lifestyle.

His radio broadcast "It's Time to Pray" reaches the nations with quick, 60-second devotionals, and if believers put his words into practice, his upcoming book by the same name could shift the spiritual atmosphere. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mnqlssg0AY

Conlon is the pastor of Times Square Church on Broadway in the heart of New York City. David Wilkerson started TSC, and Carter became pastor in 1994.

"I believe just as Esther was prodded by Mordecai to approach the throne of the king for the sake of her people, I'm hoping that this book, It's Time to Pray, is going to prod many people to go back to the throne of God to find, as the Scriptures say, grace and strength to help in this present time of need," Conlon tells Charisma. "I believe that the lives of many people are now hanging in the balance, spiritually speaking, and if we will start to pray again, as the people of God, we can know a spiritual awakening again in America. It really is a very short window the Lord has set before us."

His book, set to release on Nov. 6 with Charisma House, addresses the who, what, when, where, why and how about prayer.

CLICK HERE TO PREORDER THE BOOK
http://itstimetopraybook.com

Where may Christians miss the mark, he says, isn't that they don't pray, but that their prayer is self-focused.

"Realistically, we've reached out as a nation for the Holy Spirit for all the wrong reasons," Conlon says.

"The spirit of the Lord was upon him for those reasons. There was a clear reason why God's Spirit was upon the physical man Jesus Christ. Then he said to us, 'As the father has sent me, now I send you.' In other words, the calling on my life and yours is no different than His. Now obviously, we're not the Savior. Don't misunderstand me. But the calling is the same. The calling is to the oppressed, the addicted, the marginalized, the afflicted, the spiritually blind, the hopeless, the captivated and certainly to God."

He continues: "So the question that comes to mind is, are we willing to be the church again? Are we going to get back to our identity? Are we going to figure out what our purpose is? Are we going to have the guts to take a look at ourselves and say do we really look like the church in the book of Acts, or have we become something else? What are we as a people? What goes on in our conventions? What's our focus when we need to worship together? Are we just into this constant goofiness, or are we really going to go with God and do the work he's called us to do on the earth? You can understand I'm passionate about this because I've lived it, I've seen it, I've walked in it, I've tasted in it."

For people who pray and don't see results, Conlon says they may not understand the power behind their prayers.

He believes this is something the modern church has lost. In Acts 2, Conlon says the early church was prepared to die as soon as they stepped out of the upper room.

They refused to live in seclusion or self-preservation. Instead, they acted in power. They're prayers were not self-focused, like much of what Christians ask of the Lord in the modern church.

"Today, we look for the power, but if we don't understand the purpose of the power of God, then we just end up seeking this sensory delusion, from one place to another to another," Conlon says. "It's not leading us to the work of God that he wants to do through us on earth. Then we just end up seeking another experience and another experience and another experience. My observations over the years are those experiences become more and more and more absurd as time goes on, because it's not leading to the reason for why we're seeking that power."

In his personal life, Conlon says he is praying for the Lord to open his eyes to the cry of his city and to give him the ability to respond.

"'Would you help me, Lord, to put a trumpet to my lips and call your church back to prayer? Would you give me the grace, O God, to live the kind of a life that makes a difference for somebody else?'" Conlon will pray. 'Deliver me from self-focus and from any pursuit of You that's not really related to Your kingdom.'

"That is the cry of my heart every day, all day. It's not just in the morning when I get alone with God, but it's throughout the day I find myself praying again, 'Lord, just have mercy on this generation and use my life somehow to make a difference for these people. There's just so many who need help, and they need hope now.'"

Amen.

from: https://www.charismanews.com/opinion/73141-carter-conlon-exclusive-why-your-prayers-may-not-yield-results

2018/9/14 20:37Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re: Carter Conlon Exclusive: Why Your Prayers May Not Yield Results

Why is this being published by Charisma? I find that a bit odd unless Carter is selling out somehow. If you look at Charisma it is a parade of false teachers and prophets. Maybe Carter looking to use tha publisher to also draw people out of charismania or pull them more into
sound doctrine or sound exhortation? Just thinking out loud on that.

This quote below speaks to the charismatic mindset but then again Carter is pastor of a pentecostal church so it could very well be speaking to his congregation as well.

"Today, we look for the power, but if we don't understand the purpose of the power of God, then we just end up seeking this sensory delusion, from one place to another to another," Conlon says. "It's not leading us to the work of God that he wants to do through us on earth. Then we just end up seeking another experience and another experience and another experience. My observations over the years are those experiences become more and more and more absurd as time goes on, because it's not leading to the reason for why we're seeking that power."

In the end what do you suppose this book is going to do for the average person who reads it besides pondering what Carter is saying?

2018/9/17 11:43Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

dear brother,

I do not see it as a problem as charisma house has gotten quite large and publishes many books including as you have mentioned less desirable ones. I personally am a contributing writer on their website (they have published over 5 articles I have written). I feel in no way I am selling out to anything.

EDIT: I also am a contributor to ChristianPost.com ChristianWeek and other online periodicals. My policy is to take opportunities in most whatever form to share the gospel and truths of the Word of God.

Quote:
In the end what do you suppose this book is going to do for the average person who reads it besides pondering what Carter is saying?

The book will impact lives as I am sure carter conlon has spent time nad prayer to write it for the benefit of the larger body of Christ. You have taken a small quote from the whole book, I am sure you have to read more to understand his heart and what his message is.

2018/9/17 12:48Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

I didn't know you are a contributing writer to charisma. How did you get involved with that?

2018/9/20 9:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

For charisma it came through the experience when Youtube shut down our channel with no explanation and some things were happening that I felt was clearly spiritual warfare, they liked this and picked up on it.

Afterwards they allowed me to share a few articles. Though there are some questionable things there are also some solid contributors on there.

Shane Idleman, Micheal Brown and others.

2018/9/20 19:37Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Hmmm
I am always have a raise eyebrow regarding charisma because a majority of those writers are pentecostal and charismatic people who make alot of noise with no substance to their articles. Anything for prophecy to a vision to a word to a spirit of this a spirit of that and so on but nothing grounded in the Word. I would hope that your writing is grounded in the Word and not in mystical hoopla.

Do you know why Carter is having them publish his book?
That causes me to step back and bit and wonder why he chose them...........OR was it that they were the only publishes who would publish him? If the later then it causes me to wonder why.

I intend to look for the articles you have written for them and see what you have to say.

Godspeed
John

2018/9/21 14:26Profile
Gloryandgrace

Snoqualmie, WA

Re: judging a book by its cover

Hi John:

When you take some time to peruse the many quotes, and articles that Greg has posted, you will notice a solid biblical centered man. People post what they believe or what others have expressed that they agree with, Greg is solid.

When it comes to Charisma...so many Pentecostals/charismatics wonder why the conservatives (Baptist, reformed, Lutheran etc) are so dead. They wonder why with so awfully low numbers of conversions and little more than church hoping do any of their congregations grow?
Of course the non-charismatics wonder why the Pentecostals/charismatics are so loony, no discerning and hold to teachers that are full blown heretics?

The answer is not going to be found in categorizing a group of believers into the "off-the-mark" characterization.
Why because...as I observe on a regular basis those who categorize other believers that way are unforgiving, self-righteous, mean spirited, judgmental, evil speaking and walking in the flesh. Both sides do this and neither side even tries to ask forgiveness for blatant sinning, blatant evil speaking of their own brothers in the Lord.

So, you can pick your sin...visit the reformed Facebook websites and you will see endless mockery of Pentecostal/charismatics without even a blush. Visit the Charismatic websites and you will see endless memes that depict non-charismatics as dead as a doornail.

I wonder which sin among them is more suitable?

2018/9/26 14:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy