Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Raising hands in worship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Raising hands in worship

This is admittedly a somewhat random question but I was wondering 1) if you are a person who raises your hand(s) during worship, why? And 2) if you are not a person who raises your hand(s) in worship, why not?

2018/2/14 15:15Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Raising hands in worship

Brother Todd,
It may have a lot to do with the church circles I grew up in, spiritually speaking, where we were taught to be expressive in our worship and that true worship involved spirit, soul and body?
So yes, I certainly do more often than not. Paul even refers to wanting men to pray " lifting up holy hands"
I see it a a sign of giving praise and worship " up" toward God in the heavens, also a sign of surrender and openness to His Spirit.
Lifting hands signifies receiving from Him even while giving honour to Him.
Also a sign of waiting on Him for strength and a fresh in filing of the Spirit.

I know this is my personal experience but when I lift my hands and open up I immediately " sense" His presence more tangibly.

Blessings,

2018/2/14 15:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Thanks William!

2018/2/14 16:47Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I agree with everything StirItUp said. And I would like to add that it comes naturally now to raise my hands in honor and worship to Him. When I first started, I thought everyone was staring at me and just put my hands turned up in front of my stomach!!!

Then I got my hands up around my shoulders but my elbows were firmly planted at my sides!! Then one day, I didn't care anymore and up went my hands to the ceiling!! :)

I do believe the enemy hates seeing us in submission to our Lord and Savior and does his best to make Christians feel this act of submission is irrelevant.

God bless,
Lisa

2018/2/14 17:22Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I fought putting my hands up for about 4 years. I mean I fought tooth and nail. I am not an overly emotional or expressive person and I quashed the Spirit good.

Then finally we went to a night of worship called “the wave” at a neighboring church at which time I could resist no longer. Even though literally everyone else had their hands up or were prostrate or whatever, I still thought everyone was looking at me.

I raised my hands at the last church we attended but not as often as previously.

Now we started attending a more conservative church that is very strong in preaching and teaching the word but where worship is less expressive (but very good). Hardly anyone raises their hands. I feel like I should but once again I am quashing. Hopefully that will come to a stop.

2018/2/14 17:40Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Todd, can you feel the presence of God in the church you attend?

2018/2/14 18:18Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

When I was first saved back in 1995, they made me wear an asbestos suit to church, and they seatbelted me in my seat, “just kidding” but that’s how on fire I was. I still have that fire on the inside, but I still have episodes to where it jumps to the outside, every now and then. :-)

2018/2/14 19:00Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Nigel wrote: “Todd, can you feel the presence of God in the church you attend?”

Yes, very much so. When tears start to flow I am feeling the Spirit. It is a more “reverent” feel than the church we had recently left, which was very loud and too glitzy in my estimation.

The church we currently attend has a more contemporary service with a band etc then another much more traditional service with organs and hymns.

The pastor does raise his hand during worship; it seems like everyone else who does is a woman (including my wife). Regardless it likely won’t be long before I lift my hand. Maybe I’ll start a trend!

2018/2/14 19:50Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Bill- There are definitely times I feel like running a lap around the sanctuary especially with certain songs but so far I have been able to contain myself.

2018/2/14 19:52Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

It is scriptural to raise your
hands during worship:

“I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.”
(1 Timothy 2:8)

Psalm 63:4
So I will bless You as long as I live; I will lift up my hands in Your name.

Psalm 134:2
Lift up your hands in the sanctuary And bless the LORD.

Psalm 141:2
May my prayer be counted as incense before You; The lifting up of my hands as the evening offering.

2018/2/14 20:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy