SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why does a Christian sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Why does a Christian sin?

Many times a person who embraces Christ and experiences a true born again experience gets the idea that he is responsible to keep and obey the law. They do not really know that God in Christ has already totally set them free from the law. They think that the ought's / should's and the ought not's / should not's apply to them. Then they act independently from Christ and put forth many efforts trying to do good things while avoiding bad things.

Av they go about doing this they find out that the harder they try, the worse their own situation comes. They found out what Paul found out when he tried do this.

Rom 7:15-16, " For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

Rom 7:19, "For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do."

They find out that only that they can not do the "good things" but they actually end up doing the "bad things" they are so desperately trying to avoid.

They also find out Like Paul that they have the will and desire but lack the power to perform these desires "for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."

Why couldn't Paul do the good things and avoid the bad things that he truly desired?

Rom 7:23, "But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."

Now a law is just something HOW A THING WORKS or how a thing functions. Law is the governing principal by which a thing or person functions properly or "the law of its being." While under a law a person CAN NOT function any other way. This is IMPOSSIBLE because this person is governed and ruled by this law

Now when you try to do good or avoid evil by applying the should's and should not's you will bring yourself under the Law of sin and death.

God never intended us to keep the law it was a only a teacher to bring us to Christ

Gal 3:24, "Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith."

Do you see yourself alive but separate from Christ? Then you will make a law out of most anything. That is why freedom only comes when you know you are "dead" and crucified with Christ and you are no longer alive. Then and only then we can know it is Christ living in us and manifesting Himself as us.

When we think that we have a separate life from Christ we will automatically be under the law of trying to be good. Romans 6:11; "He that is dead is freed from sin." A dead person can't try to do anything. If we are under the law of trying to be good, we are acting as if we are not dead; we are acting as if we are alive apart from Christ, producing our own goodness or righteousness.

Likewise, if we are condemning ourselves for not being good, we are really expecting to have the power to produce goodness and are condemning ourselves for failing. That is a false expectation, because it is impossible for us to produce any goodness apart from Christ. There is no "good you," nor is there any "bad you." Christ is living and expressing Himself through His human branch, vessel, temple, wife, and body. Think about it. If we humans can produce our own evil, then there is a strong possibility that we can produce our own good, and if that is the case, then why would we ever need a Savior at all?

The Law of Moses is "I should not," and is called the ministry of condemnation. The law of Christ is "I Am," and is called Spirit and Life.

I think we would be surprised to know how much law we are unknowingly under. Personally, I tried to fix, change, and rearrange myself and anyone around me, although I attempted to be very passive about it. This kind of behavior seems nice, but ironically it is not. I never thought that I was a controlling person, per se, but I really was. I was what today's psychologist would call, "passive aggressive." I had a victim complex, being self-righteous and judgmental. I accused everyone of doing me wrong, because it was always the other person's fault, and never me.

If it is not personal laws we put on ourselves, we put religious laws on ourselves, as well. One huge law is trying to have enough faith. Actually we put "faith in our own faith" rather than in the Lord (which actually makes trying to have more faith just another law). We think if we give more money, we will be more successful. That kind of "if, then" mentality is conditional and not freedom, it's just another law. Sometimes we idolize our pet doctrines instead of the Person of Christ, making our way of interpretation, law. Sometimes our particular kind of spiritual jargon becomes law. Sometimes the uniformity of our dress or church affiliation is law. Sometimes our political persuasion is group law. Any demand on our human self to conform to church, politics, or a group mentality can be nothing but law. Do we realize that, "For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse" (Gal. 3:10)? We are actually under a curse when we try to keep all these laws.

The "Outer Law" was my "PERSONAL TRAINER"... training me that I am weak and need a Keeper. So, by the mighty keeping power of my Lord, I am a "KEPT PERSON", and perfectly maintained by my permanent "MAINTENANCE MAN". Now I free from trying to change or even maintain myself. I can rest in HIM!

The New Covenant has but one law. The Bible calls it the "Royal Law," the law of love: love God, love neighbor, and love yourself. When all this responsibility to love unconditionally falls on us, our hearts sink; for we honestly must admit to failure. We simply cannot love. Yet, why did we think we should try to be like Christ anyway? We would have to be God to love that way. That is the point! Only God Himself can selflessly love.

What we don't understand is that our human vessel hasn't the capacity to love unconditionally. We were created to contain Mr. Love, Himself; but we were not created to produce it. Love is not a commodity to get, it's not a "how to" self-improvement program or an earned achievement. LOVE is a Person. We humans contain, not produce. When we discover that we are radically replaced by Christ, that "We don't live any longer, Christ lives in us," then we know we live by receiving, and not by achieving.

Freedom means that we are free to, or free not to, because we are led by the Spirit of God. "For as many as are led by the Spirit are the sons of God" (Rom. 8:14); therefore, all the "I should's" and "I ought to's" of the law have no more claim on us. We are "dead to the law" in order that we can be married to another who raised us up from the dead, even our Lord Jesus Christ (Rom. 7:4).

Our freedom from sin and death is not a result of finding a new way or method of functioning, or another learned behavior. No, that is back to self-effort again. It is a result of leaping by faith into the arms of our Savior and trusting in His work at Calvary that sets us free from this bound-up life. Jesus did it for us. He condemned "sin" and "death" in the flesh (Rom. 8:3).

So are you truly enjoying freedom in Christ?

If not just ask God to show why - it must be some law or idea that you have to make yourself better or to do better.

Are you struggling to get faith?

Basically, Christians are trying to get what they already have in Christ. They are trying to get into a room that they are already in. Christians are striving to improve themselves instead of resting in the power of His resurrection life. If we understood what the Bible declares to be true, then there is no self to improve. For a "dead man" can't be improved. "You are dead, and Christ is your life..." (Col. 3:3-4). God doesn't want improved nor recommitted people. He wants dead people. Why? You can't be raised with Christ if you are not dead.

The way for the Spirit's transforming power to be activated in us is by simply believing what God says instead of striving to become who we already are. Once we lay hold of the truth, the Truth (Jesus) will lay hold of us and by His Holy Spirit transform us into the new persons we already are, thereby causing us to spontaneously manifest righteousness.

We need a change of minds renewed to the sanctifying truths of the Gospel. Our carnal minds are polluted with lies from the Fall. Deep in our consciousness, redeemed man is still wearing the grave clothes from his former owner. We are like Lazarus coming alive out of the tomb. He was alive, but after four days, Lazarus's grave clothes stunk with death. As long as we live from these lies, we too are living with the stench of dead grave clothes. Take off your stinking grave clothes and put on Christ, who is your sanctification, your righteousness, and your glory.

Are you trying to add Jesus Christ to your life? Are you trying to apply His teachings to your life?

This is NOT TRUE CHRISTIANITY!

You do not apply Him or His teachings to your life at all. You have died and you have His LIFE.

He applies HIS Life to you and in you - it was an total exchange. You died - He lives. You no longer have a life - He is your LIFE!

Gal 2:20, "I am crucified with Christ: neverthless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me."

Now look at this part, "yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." the I was replaced with the person of Christ.

If you are involved with any self effort He can show exactly what it is,

It is simple - just ask God to show you the reason and He will!

2016/5/17 7:11
Pnutty

Branson, MO

Re: Why does a Christian sin?

Thank you for this good writing Tuc.

What you have written I learned from Joseph Prince. And the more I read my Bible the more it becomes my own and I see it.

I try not to try which is still trying. Then Spirit brings to mind Faith in the finished work. I died. I am the righteousness of God in Christ.

A desire for holiness is far different from a trying to keep holiness.

Trying shows your continuing unholy ugly parts.
Desire activates faith for God to finish the work once begun.

Trying to be holy bad
Desiring to be holy good.

Maybe Im off here and what you wrote.

2016/5/17 8:02Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Why does a Christian sin?

100% of the time a Christian sins because they want to do so. Not that in their heart of hearts they would rather not sin, but for whatever reason they choose to sin over not sinning. My point is that there is not accidental sinning.

Your post explains why there is a battle. But bottom line we do have the power to choose not to sin. The question is whether we are willing to walk in the Spirit or step off that path.

2016/5/17 8:05Profile

there is no such thing as accidental sin

Sin is rebellion - defiant acts, an attitude not subject to God. So, there is no such thing as an ignorant, nonwillful, or an accidental sin ( hamartia) under grace.

When we turn away from Christ as our true source of Life to self effort we will sin.

2016/5/17 8:22

many try to adjust their behavior through discipline and behavior.

Because you believed Christ came into your life to fix and improve it, you take on the task yourself and try to adjust your behavior through discipline and behavior changes to live a more Christ like life.

You cannot make your life more like Christ. You only need to take His life as your own and you and all around you will see the difference. It is the gift of God lest any man boast. We can't fix ourselves. Ourselves will not cooperate! We have to reckon ourselves dead and we are now experience his life of resurrection and power.

2016/5/17 9:17
makrothumia

Texas

Re: many try to adjust their behavior through discipline and behavior.

James left us a very simple answer for why someone sins. ...."they are drawn away of their own lusts and when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin."

If we will simply abide in Christ, we will be kept safe and the evil one will not touch us. So Paul writes "walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

We will suffer being tempted, just like Jesus, but He was perfected through the things He suffered and once made perfect became the source of eternal salvation for all those who obey Him.

Those who obey Him abide in His love, just as He obeyed the Father and abode in the Father's love.

This is the obedience of faith, the faith that is the victory that overcomes the world.

No one abiding in Him sins. In other words, abiding in Him never results in sin. Sin happens by being drawn away and fulfilling our own lusts.

Mak

2016/5/17 13:17Profile
Sree

Re:

Do Nothing Christianity is absolute lie of a Devil. Jesus clearly said in Matthew 11:28:-

Come to Me, all [z]who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is [aa]easy and My burden is light.

There is a yoke that every Christian should take. No one will put a yoke on top of another and ask him to do nothing.

The people who preach such do nothing Christianity also believe that Sermon on the mount and all teachings of Jesus as Old Covenant, not applicable for us. Such a big lie.

The proof should be in life, I am sure people who preach such do nothing Christianity will themselves live in open sin. They will have ugly married life, cannot have fellowship with anyone and hence not part of a Church at all.

Apostle Paul struggled with his flesh in Romans 7 because he did not have power of the Holy Spirit. He was given the power in Romans 8 life. That is why Romans 8 is life lead by Spirit.

Only person who is dead is the Old Man who lived how ever he wanted. The new man is born of God's word. He wants to please God by keeping every word of God. But the new man will be weak without the power of God. The habits of Old Man can easily over power the New Man if he is devoid of Power of God. That is why we need God's Holy Spirit to face everyday.

Everyday we have to abide in the death of Christ, take up our cross. Otherwise we can fall into sin anytime.

2016/5/17 14:24Profile

“the desire of the righteous man is always good.”

Temptation is being drawn away by evil lust that we falsely think is our lust. Sin occurs when we believe it and take it. Jesus said to the unsaved, “You are of your father the devil, AND THE LUST OF YOUR FATHER YOU DO.” Unsaved people don’t have their own evil lust, and neither do Christians. We humans are three levels of desire, body, soul and spirit. Without desire in body we wouldn’t desire to take care of ourselves nor eat, without desire in our soul’s we wouldn’t want friendship and fellowship, and without desire in spirit we wouldn’t want God. In the Christian it is not evil desire, Proverbs says “the desire of the righteous man is always good.” Satan projects his evil lust on us and entices us to believe it is our own evil and strong desire. When we believe the lie, then we take it and it takes us. Thus birthing sin.

We are not independent evil lustful persons, but we can act like it, if we go for the enticement, but it is not who we are.

2016/5/17 15:35
Sree

Re: “the desire of the righteous man is always good.”

As Brother Alan Martin pointed out from James 1-16:-

But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by HIS OWN LUST. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.

There is no deception here. The Scripture is very clear here. It is our own Lust that tempts us. Let God alone be true and every man a liar.

We all have a flesh that we inherited from Adam. This flesh does not die at all. As long as we live on this earth we will be tempted by this Flesh. When we are born again, we receive a new Man who still lives inside the old Flesh. Flesh does not change. It will always like things that are against God's word. We have to resist the flesh and put to death on the Cross each and everyday.

It is spiritual immaturity to put all our sins on Satan. Satan is not responsible for all our temptations. He can create an environment to tempt us, but he has no authority inside us to put anything inside us.

2016/5/17 15:56Profile
makrothumia

Texas

Re: “the desire of the righteous man is always good.”

Dear Tuc,

Here is an opportunity to test your own words with the specific grammar of the text we believe is inspired.

Please look again at the Greek grammar used for "his own lusts" and you will see that James chose this very specific wording.

The question then is why have your own thoughts led you to an expression that is not supported by the New Testament. I appreciate your earnest desire to lead believers to experience Union Life in Christ.

However, I hope that you will see that by making statements like the one you have set forth, you have not worked out all the intricacies of your belief in a way that fully harmonizes with the writers of the New Testament.

By the way, neither have I, so I can appreciate those parts of what you share that are sound. Please be careful about statements like this that are not fully developed.

Mak

2016/5/17 16:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy