Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Struggling with Gluttony

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Brotheralechenu

Lagos, NGR

Struggling with Gluttony

Pls , Any suggestions on how i can deal with gluttony?? My appetite for food is very strong. I don't know why. And it often hinders my prayer life. It makes drowsy, heavy and dull. I tried on my own to curtail my eating. It would seem for a while like i am getting it right but after sometime i would go back eating more than the necessary quantity of food again. Definitely not the quality of a serious Christian.

2016/5/7 14:10Profile
SteveHale

NSW Australia

Re: Struggling with Gluttony

Rather, I toughen my body with punches and make it my slave so that I will not be disqualified after I have spread the Good News to others. 1Corinthians 9:27

Brother, it may seem like I am over simplifying things, but you need to fast once a week to bring your body under control. Once you can fast a whole day once a week then fast one meal (eg.breakfast)at least five times a week.

In love Steve

2016/5/7 16:08Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The key to combatting gluttony is to stop eating.

That sounds ridiculously simple and perhaps stupid.

You don''t, and I don't, WANT to stop eating.

I need to drop 15 lbs. if I simply chose to eat less it would be a breeze, but right now I don't want to lose 15 lbs enough to stop eating what I want. Maybe next week I will want to. But not today.

My point is that no one is shoving food down your or my throat. We are voluntarily picking up the food and eating it.

I don't believe in food addiction. It is simply a matter of choosing not to eat.

I agree with the fasting advice. Fasting, in my view, teaches us that we are in control, not our desire. Our flesh says "feed me or I will die." Our mind says "nice try- but I am not eating and you are not going to die."

2016/5/7 17:21Profile

Re:

Is it for all food, or just for carbohydrates?

Cravings for high carbo foods or sugar filled foods can be cured by a paleo diet which is low carb, high fat.

2016/5/7 17:27
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Decide not to care if you are hungry. It matters. If you out fruit and veggie based nutrients into your body, all but eliminate meats and dairy and processed grains, you will get all you need and your stomach will learn in time to behave. The issue resides mainly in the mind and your own heart.

With you in the struggle. I feel you. But I have made huge strides with God's empowerment. I had to have a wake up moment with my health and pain and the cost of living as I was.

2016/5/7 18:05Profile
Brotheralechenu

Lagos, NGR

Re:

It is for all food

2016/5/8 9:14Profile

Re:

I believe in looking at the physical before the spiritual. When no answer us found in the physical then it is likely spiritual.

It could be that the body is not receiving sufficient nutrients because of poor quality foods, lack of variety or genetic defects that require extra by way of nutrients in food or supplements. It will make your eating out of control due to cravings if you are deficient.

Our bodies are so important in our service to God that we must only eat what will benefit them and if our diet is sufficient on all counts, it is not hard to discipline the appetite.

Intermittent fasting is very good that is to stop eating around 5 pm till the next morning. I do that every day, having my main meal at mid day.

2016/5/8 9:28
Brotheralechenu

Lagos, NGR

Re:

Guys thanks for taking time to comment. I do and enjoy fasting i.e when it is time for corporate church fasting.but to declare a fast for myself i find that hard to do..And i think it's becos i see it as a punishment. Anyway i will have to do it.

2016/5/8 15:01Profile
Jasmine

Re:

You may want to cover all your bases and see about getting a physical and talking to a nutritionist. Would you consider counseling maybe a couple of sessions? Sometimes it's not only what you're eating but what is eating you. Are you an emotional eater? You may want to consider what you're bringing in to your home and why. I found that if I don't bring certain foods/snacks in my home then it's easier for me. To get those foods I have to make an effort to go get them and by then I lose interest. Do you eat enough vegetables and drink enough water? You have to do your part.

Spiritually you need to pray but also pray for others. Many times I've found it helps to pray for others who are facing the same challenge. You may need to ask prayer from those you trust. Do you have a prayer partner?

This may sound odd but have you really taken the time to understand what gluttony is and its spiritual underpinning of fear (at least that's the one I know of)? Have you taken the time to study fasting biblically so that you can have a sound/solid understanding of its purpose?

I know at times things may seem like their out of control but self control is a fruit of the Spirit and God is more than able to help us. Do your part and watch God do His.

2016/5/8 16:53Profile
Brotheralechenu

Lagos, NGR

Re:

I do not have a prayer partner. And how do i know if i am an emotional eater?

2016/5/8 17:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy