SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Christianity is not a religion

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Christianity is not a religion

“Suppose Christianity is not a religion but a way of life, a falling in love with God, and, through Him, a falling in love with our fellows. Of course, such a way is hard and costly, but it is also joyous and rewarding even in the here-and-now. People who follow that Way know beyond all possible argument that they are in harmony with the purpose of God, that Christ is with them and in them as they set about His work in our disordered world. If anyone thinks this is perilous and revolutionary teaching, so much the better. That is exactly what they thought of the teaching of Jesus Christ. The light He brought to bear upon human affairs is almost unbearably brilliant: but it is the light of Truth, and in that light human problems can be solved.” (J. B. Phillips (1906-1982), When God Was Man [1954]

I'm reminding once again that JESUS is a person, HE is alive and walking with HIM is not about rules and regulations or formulas worked out by men, its about loving and obeying, its about submitting and serving, its about taking up my cross and following, its about HIM!!

God bless
maryjane

2013/11/21 10:00Profile

Re: Christianity is not a religion

"Christians have always tended to transform the Christian Revelation into a Christian religion. Christianity is said to be a religion like any other or, conversely, some Christians try to show that it is a better religion than the others. People attempt to take possession of God. Theology claims to explain everything, including the being of God. People tend to transform Christianity into a religion because the Christian faith obviously places people in an extremely uncomfortable position ­ that of freedom guided only by love and all in the context of God's radical demand that we be holy. Jacques Ellul

(Senior devil Screwtape in a speech at the Annual Dinner of the Tempter's Training College for Young Devils) "It will be an ill day for us if what most humans mean by 'religion' ever vanishes from the Earth. It can still send us the truly delicious sins. The fine flower of unholiness can grow only in the close neighbourhood of the Holy. Nowhere do we tempt so successfully as on the very steps of the altar." C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters, "Screwtape Proposes a Toast

"When the Gospel began its course in this world, it was not at all to be expected that it would found a religion among other religions. On the contrary its first hearers were shaken by it in their pious convictions, customs, and practices. They were thrown into conflict with their elders, teachers, and synagogues. Therefore they could, if they became disciples of Jesus, be killed or be expelled from the community. Whoever does not grant that such a battle is described in the New Testament and whoever does not personally become involved in this battle has not grasped the real origins of Christianity." Ernst Kasemann

2013/11/21 11:58
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

I like what this scripture says

Acts 17:22 (AMP) So Paul, standing in the centre of the Areopagus [Mars Hill meeting place], said: Men of Athens, I perceive in every way [on every hand and with every turn I make] that you are most religious or very reverent to demons.

You are most religious meaning very reverent to demons.

2013/11/21 15:10Profile

Re:

That's good, Colin. Demons counterfeit Christ, the Holy Spirit, Truth, etc, etc, so that you think you are reverencing Christ.

2013/11/21 15:44
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Religion

Religion is a way to keep God off your back, a way to keep the Almighty in a safe place, tricked and deceived by the Real God- Me.

Tucked neatly into His special box, ready to be pulled out in case of emergency, God is kept preoccupied mulling over all the nice things I have said about Him. He is just so impressed with my fine attributes, He lets me just go do as I wish.

Maybe in my zeal for religion I should call Him Saint Bernard, my lovable fuzzy, invisible servant/friend. Nice quart of Brandy around His neck too...

So, so different from Christianity!

2013/11/22 0:09Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Religion is a way to keep God off your back

The word “religion” has somehow taken on a pejorative use. Now see how Jonathan Edwards used the word "religion" in this quote:

“He that has doctrinal knowledge and speculation only, without affection, never is engaged in the business of religion.” Jonathan Edwards

May God give us all a deeper religious affection
.... from that perspective!

Diane

2013/11/22 12:10Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Christianity becomes a religion when one begins to point out the do's and don'ts related to it because the bible says so. This can be seem in the More Conservative churches such as no tv, styles of dress, certain beliefs because what they read in the bible.
It becomes a relationship when those do's and don'ts become something more alive within you in that you can authentically explain and demonstration how they become alive as a result of God. You demonstrate it and people see it and want it rather than you having to preach it so much. It become relational rather than preachy.

John

2013/11/22 12:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy