SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Home Fellowship Help

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
washad

arkansas

Home Fellowship Help

I am waiting expectantly for the gospel fellowships book to become available. However there is a group of believers that I know who would like to begin meeting together and they do not want to wait for a "how to" book to start. My question is along the lines of what do these gatherings look like? Are they miniature versions of what these believers have come out of? That is one fear that we have that we will just do what we know (i.e prayer,song,offering,song,sermon, invitation, eat) and not really be centering on Jesus just changing venues. I have heard of services where there is no leader and song, testimony, even preaching is spontaneous. Most are afraid of this and in informal talk wonder if we wouldn't just sit there looking at each other. Many are afraid to speak as they are not sure if it is the Spirit moving them or their flesh. The greatest fear is that the meeting just be an exercise in the flesh. We are all just so steeped in tradition that we question what is Biblical and what is from man. How organized should we be? How spontaneous? Is there a constant like a sermon at every service or is teaching and discussion amongst all more productive? Are these things mutually exclusive? So just for some insight. How do you "do" house fellowships? Any scriptures and practical insight would be appreciated.

2013/3/16 19:29Profile

Re: Home Fellowship Help

Dear brother,

One of the idea's behind Gospel fellowships is that passionate people, people who love the Lord and hunger for His presence and genuine fellowship would come together for that, fellowship. I think there is such a false view of what fellowship is because for years in many institutional churches, gatherings were something formed as a ministry and then expected to be " successful," meaning growing numbers. Yet, the very essence of fellowship, is just even two or three people gathering to talk about the passion of their lives, Jesus and how He is moving and leading and guiding them. Out of the abundance of our hearts our mouths speak. In the Gospel fellowships that we envision, there will be brothers who will go out and visit with different groups and give some guidance as to these meetings, but most importantly, these groups will be lead by the Holy Spirit. I and another brother will be holding some meetings in July in OK and we will be testing out some meetings to see how they will work practically. Loosely, we will have some subjects that we will talk about, which will be known in advance. Brothers and sisters will be encouraged to study and pray and read the Word to see if the Lord would not speak to them. At these gatherings we will start of the discussions and see where they lead. At appropriate times, we will worship as felt led by the Lord, then pray perhaps, then back to discussions. In the midst of these " discussions,' people will testify of the truths they have learned in their lives through their walk and share. There will be some leadership in order to keep roughly to the discussion at hand. We are looking for something organic. Over-arching all of these discussions will be the context of the times in which we live and how the Lord is calling on His remnant people to gather together for fellowship and all the more as we see that day approach. I hope that was of some help brother, I am sure Greg will also reply. We do have a good brother down there in Arkansas, in Little Rock, brother Blaine...............bro Frank

2013/3/16 20:42
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

"That is one fear that we have that we will just do what we know (i.e prayer,song,offering,song,sermon, invitation, eat) and not really be centering on Jesus just changing venues."

But what is wrong with these things, if they are centered on Jesus?

andy

2013/3/16 22:08Profile
Sree

Brother, I attend a Gospel based fellowship in Atlanta US called atlanta christian fellowship. Brother Greg attends this fellowship as well. We have close to 9 families that are committed. The meeting is well organized. Paul says the to Corinthians (1 Cor 14-33)
For God is not a God of disorder but of peace—as in all the congregations of the Lord’s people.

The meeting should be in order and not like anyone can speak at anytime. We have songs time, followed by prayer where anyone moved by Holy Spirit can pray. There is no order prayer and no big pause. Then the Sermon shared by one brother who is asked to share by elders (preplanned, hence the brother sharing is well prepared). If you do not have brothers with Grace to share more than certain time then 2 or 3 brothers can share short sermons. After that people can terify and confess their hope (based on Sermon) not taking more than 3 mins. Final prayer for the Chruch needs and then meeting ends. Followed by fellowship lunch and Sunday school.

Brother Zac Poonen has some sermons on New Covenant Fellowship and they could be of great help. I don't think there is any other minister today who has the light that Brother Zac has on new Covenant fellowship.

2013/3/16 23:25Profile
washad

arkansas

Re:

Andres, Thank you for pointing out my lack of clarity. I am sorry, I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with those things as they are beautiful expressions of Christian love and worship. It is just that in the churches we have been a part of these things were done seemingly without thought to their meaning. I was really trying to get across the rigid "these things, in this order, in this way" without room for the Spirit to move a brother because "we must stick to the program." I do believe that all of these things will occur if Jesus is the center. We just do not want to fall back on a pattern that is more tradition than Biblical. In all things Christ must have preeminence.

2013/3/17 0:45Profile
washad

arkansas

Re:

Appolus, I thank you for your timely reply. The idea about the group having preplanned study so all are prepared for the discussion is wonderful. Each person could bring some fresh insight that would really speak to all. Also the way the service can flow from one "type" to the next i.e prayer,discussion, worship and back is kind of like I picture the Spirit leading those early services in Acts. I can also see the concept of the times being interwoven as that would of necessity call us to action, repentance towards the Lord, love for the brethren, and a burden for the lost.

2013/3/17 0:53Profile
washad

arkansas

Re:

Sree, The concept of order is strong on our hearts. Thank you for that reminder. Also the fact that there is not one "preacher" who is the constant source of sermons is most refreshing. Question. The elders then may give messages but they are not like the typical "pastors" who are the only ones who preach? No laymen as it were? Also the time limit to respond is another thing we have discussed as the more talkitive of us would be tempted to monopolize the time. A clear and concise answer or testimony to a given message would be powerful as it would show us how the Lord applies His Word to our hearts. I have not listened to Brother Poonen and will do so at the earliest opportunity.

2013/3/17 1:00Profile
davidc

France

Re: starting fellowships

My heart sinks when I read these things

David

2013/3/17 5:03Profile
davidc

France

Re:

Are you not just creating another denomination?

2013/3/17 6:44Profile

I hope this helps in understanding the spirit behind the Gospel Fellowship initiative as I understand it, which some brethren have shared from their hearts in other posts over the last year.

I believe at the heart of this move of the Lord lies three things.

The first has to do with seeking to address a specific issue of the disintegration of liberties in North America for those believers who are truly desirous to live a holy and sanctified life before the Lord, without hinderance or compulsion from authorities other than the Lord. It amounts to a kind of "being prepared" for North Americans.

The second is more specifically an issue of facilitating the fellowship of like minded believers, based on a true godly desire for personal sanctification before the Lord. Not always an easy thing to achieve even when we desire it without the support and ministry of likeminded brethren.

The third is a matter of obedience and faithfully doing that which is on the hearts of a few brethren according to the Lord.

Of course I cannot say this is true. I have no part to say it. I can only share that I believe it is true. I am personally aware why this move of the Lord is becoming visible, as were many believers from every age, who found themselves grieved by the difficulties which they faced in churches which increasingly are driven by too many motives "not of the Lord". This was not always judgementalism in the past, but simple reality in many many places. Today is no different, save for the hour.

There are inherent dangers in any gathering of believers. Not least any one individual having too much influence. Yet there is also a clear need to have elders and ministers of the word of Christ. As long as there is a least one or two brethren who put the well being of the flock before themselves I have no doubt that any gathering of believers who truly want to know Christ in the midst will be blessed and grow in faith and faithfulness. Though it may be foolish to say it, if I lived in North America I would have no hesitation to join in this move of God. In the spirit I really do join in so real does it seem to me, in the flesh alas I live in England.

The difficulties which will come have all to be worked out, and the Lord is to be trusted to make His church according to His own desire. In that there must be some clear guidance from those who have the burden, or how else can anyone serve the Lord, if they do not in fact serve the Lord according to their calling and conscience. Beyond that there is always an opportunity to minister to one another with a song, an encouragement or any number of other ways appointed by the Holy Spirit to make us in visibility one body, even as we are in spirit, one body also. Whether there is sufficient time for a new denomination! I rather doubt that no matter how ill or well intentioned we may be.

2013/3/17 7:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy