SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Televangelicalism - Robert Wurtz II

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Thanks everyone for the input. It has been very helpful.

Quote:
Bro. Mike's: The topic is for anyone wanting to follow the Holy Spirit in a century when every waking second the human mind is bombarded by dissonant voices and perspectives without rest.

I had a thought that it seems that people are getting so consumed with communication that there may well be a point when they reach a sort-of "full saturation" where they are unable to absorb what God is saying to them. There is simply so much information passing around that nothing has time to set in the mind or rest on the heart long enough to make any kind of lasting impact. Why? Because the next thing comes and its a different thought process. Almost like in C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters. The sheer volume of information is becoming the means by which people are being completely distracted from God. The boy yelling and selling newspapers or the city bus belching out smoke is replaced by the volumes of information as the means by which the heart turns its thoughts away from God. It is like a huge tophet session.

2013/1/23 0:13Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Brother Robert,

I agree with you that there is an information overload going on. There is a mental search for more information, and now with the internet, this knowledge is right at our fingertips. The problem is that just getting information can be dangerous because it can put us in a false postion of thinking that we know God but in reality it is really mental assent. We need to get quite before God, hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, and allow the Holy Spirit to open our eyes and give us revelation.

Mike

2013/1/23 9:45Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
The sheer volume of information is becoming the means by which people are being completely distracted from God.

Perhaps this is why we are seeing a chilling dismissal of critical thinking in the West. People are exhausted or overwhelmed. Or perhaps we no longer believe there is a truth to be found at the end of all our thinking.

300 years ago the Enlightenment began as a critical thinking project in which the collective focus was to liberate society from the "enthusiasm" of uncritical religious thought.

Now we are seeing the emergence of the post-modern project in which the collective focus is to liberate society from the burden of critical thinking.

The West turning is turning back to uncritical enthusiasm, but this time for their concept of man, not of God.

And so, just as religious enthusiasm did 300 years ago, there is a new kind of humanist enthusiasm that will protect itself violently from critical thinking. I call this a "new kind" of humanist enthusiasm, because it no longer believes in the universality of humanity held together by the idea of a final model of the world, but rather in a fragmented humanity, divided by fragmented ideas in group or individual identities. The New Humanism has replaced the old, by replacing rational criticism with Identity Criticism.

The Evangelical, who previously managed to synthesize their faith in scriptural revelation and the critical thinking of the enlightenment into a rational biblical faith, finds themselves in a world makes no sense to them. The reason the post-modern era doesn't make sense to the modern evangelical is not because Western thought has abandoned historical Christian belief in biblical revelation, but because it has abandoned historical Enlightenment belief in rational truth. In this context, the "televangelist" they had supported 30 years ago only adds to the absurdity. They have also abandoned critical thinking years ago, and become so aesthetically or economically preoccupied, that they can offer little spiritual or intellectual content or to the urgent conversations of our day.

MC

2013/1/23 9:52Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Thanks again to everyone for the input.

Quote:
The reason the post-modern era doesn't make sense to the modern evangelical is not because Western thought has abandoned historical Christian belief in biblical revelation, but because it has abandoned historical Enlightenment belief in rational truth. In this context, the "televangelist" they had supported 30 years ago only adds to the absurdity. They have also abandoned critical thinking years ago, and become so aesthetically or economically preoccupied, that they can offer little spiritual or intellectual content or to the urgent conversations of our day.

I am focused on this point because I think it may be a lot of the reason why teaching can almost become a waste of time in some cases. If folks are not thinking rationally about the subject you lay out before their minds, what hope do we have of ever teaching truth. Could some of this be what theologians refer to as the noetic effects of sin? I'm not sure who all understands the concept, but it deals with how sin can corrupt our ability to think rationally.

2013/1/23 14:36Profile

Re: Televangelicalism - Robert Wurtz II

Gredo House Ministries has listen noetic theology as its theological word of the day. The meaning isn’t really a very difficult one to lay hold of from a theological perspective. It has been summed up simply as the effect of sin on the mind and postulates that this effect amounts to the mind being robbed of its power of reason to such an extent that the mind (man) suffers loss as a consequence. Nee’ book The Latent Power of the Soul speaks into that profoundly. Whist reading Mike Compton’ contribution to the thread regarding the Enlightenment of Europe and later, by reason the USA, I was struck by the seeming positive context in which this term was used. Specifically the context of post modern believers drawing back into a noetic or superstitious way of thinking about truth and the extent to which reason and effort play a part in acquiring it. In fact the very idea of it has been on my mind from that moment so that in the end I have to say something to it.

What I have to say is this:

The so-called noetic effect of sin without the exercise of faith, produces a reality of axiomatic outcomes being manifestly understood on the one hand as occult and on the other as enlightened reason. If you want to study a man whose mind perfectly demonstrates this then study Isaac Newton who is often presented as a sound christian as well as a scientist, mathematician and philosopher. Apart from the obvious great intellect and reason evident in his scientific endeavours one should look to his occult endeavours as well. Especially the thousands of papers which the Economist Keynes purchased at auction in London from Newtons niece' descendants. If reason and effort were of themselves going to produce an outcome of true enlightenment then Newton would have been your man. Yet Newton had as much interest in looking backwards as he ever intended to look ahead. No doubt as ignorant and ill informed as this will be seen, the so-called noetic effect is nothing more than the fallen condition of man. Likewise truth is no more than being renewed in your thinking.

Faith may be reasonable to a reasonable and inquiring mind. But in the end it is in truth a gift of God which if exercised produces the most reasonable outcome. Hope this does not interfere with your efforts Robert.

Edit Added Link URL Re Above comments on Newton the man of enlightenment. Please see the very last comment by Keynes.

http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Extras/Keynes_Newton.html

2013/1/23 17:43
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Could some of this be what theologians refer to as the noetic effects of sin?

Certainly I believe sin dumbs our minds down by harming our sense of cause and effect. Even a Christian may be clear on what the correct "result" of their life should be, but if they estrange themselves from the correct principles and process that produce their correct product, all of life will seem to them as an irrational mystery.

I've experienced this firsthand!

MC

2013/1/23 17:46Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Hi Andrew,

Quote:
Faith may be reasonable to a reasonable and inquiring mind. But in the end it is in truth a gift of God which if exercised produces the most reasonable outcome. Hope this does not interfere with your efforts Robert.

I don't think it does. I see faith as response to revelation. God, by His grace, brings revelation to the mind and heart and then leaves us to respond in faith. When I think of the noetic effects of sin, I am thinking primarily on man's ability (or willingness) to agree with the revelation they are given. To me it is irrational not to believe God exists based upon the revelation (light) we have all been afforded; but what I believe is in play is summarized in Romans 1:21:

“For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.” (Rom. 1:21).

There is a sense in which a person, desiring to break the tension between their evil heart and their conscience, is prepared to entertain a lie. Once the heart is determined to believe that lie the conscience begins to sear. Over time the person will believe that lie in such a way that it despells any truth related to the same subject. They have simply "believed a lie". This is their contribution to the problem and constitutes part 1 of the noetic effect.

We then have the enemies contribution. He has solicited a lie to replace the truth of God, the person has believed that lie, and are moving in it as if it were truth. This brings about part 2 of the noetic effect.

In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. (2 Cor. 4:4)

If the person refuses to respond to the dealings of God; or as the writer to the Hebrews says, "Today if you will hear His voice harden not your heart", then we move into part three of the noetic effect and I suggest, the most dreadful.

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness. (2 Thess. 2:10-12)

Although I recognize the eschatological implications of this passage, I believe the principal is always in play. The person refused to receive the love of the truth, being deceived by unrighteousness (the deceitfulness of sin that hardens the heart towards God). The consequence is that God adds the final delusion in order to give the person what they want.

Although God in His grace must speak to us in order for us to have faith, I believe our response to that "revelation", that is to say, "the hearing of His voice" has a direct effect on how we reason out spiritual matters. I'm not so sure it is a matter of understanding truth in an intellectual sense, but rather the mind can become so fixed on a lie(s) that it will not acknowledge truth. Why? It loved unrighteousness.

Blessings,

Robert

2013/1/23 20:37Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
[Certainly I believe sin dumbs our minds down by harming our sense of cause and effect. Even a Christian may be clear on what the correct "result" of their life should be, but if they estrange themselves from the correct principles and process that produce their correct product, all of life will seem to them as an irrational mystery.

This is another vital truth. I want to come at it from a different direction though to make a point. Many people today have learned how to "play the part" without going through the process of truly being born from above. Leonard Ravenhill deals with this in his interview. Although different from your experience, I have seen the emptiness of folks that are trying to imitate faith, but are devoid of the inward reality.

Blessings,

Robert

2013/1/23 20:42Profile
Compton

Re: American Religion as a Failed Synthesis

It may seem we are detouring more then the subject of the thread should be stretched, but there is a reason here to dig a little deeper into the history of American religous thought. The idea or scheme I would like to lay out here is that American Evangelicism was really a synthesis between prior church doctrine and new Enlightenment doctrines.

I think Armkelly has pointed out the difficultly of talking about ideas like enlightenment and post-modernity, while at the same time putting her finger expertly on the essence of the matter in bringing up Isaac Newton. Newton is, in my little scheme, a perfect example of someone who tried to synthesize scientific thought with elements of faith...albeit some of his faith was directed outside of Christian doctrine, to such subjects as Alchemy.

Perhaps this seemed "reasonable" to him because ultimately he believed that, with enough diligence, all types of human knowledges, both natural and revealed, could be unified into one body of human truth.

So, again in my scheme, this belief or assumption in the certainty of knowable truth was what allowed 18th century emerging evangelicalism to cherry pick from the Enlightenments natural knowledges, without feeling an insurmountable contradiction in their own faith. The common link was belief in truth.

Much of this synthesis between natural and revealed truth was achieved by learning from science but not adopting scientism. An example of this synthesis can be found in Wesley, who cultivated himself with a broad reading habit, and Jonathan Edwards, who to this day is regarded as the colonies first true naturalist.

Evangelical Christianity could make good use of enlightenment political theory as well, sharing a mutual appreciation for religious tolerance, as well as a disdain for unchecked government power.

This synthesis culminated politically in the Constitution of the newly formed United States, where for almost 200 years, various evangelical forms of Christianity from Methodism to fundamentalism, to Pentecostalism, could exist with historically relatively low tension as part of the fabric of the nation...more or less. This is how many American Christians today have come to feel their nation was more or less founded on Christian principles,...because it partially was...And this is how liberals today feel America was founded on the idea of secular liberty...because it partially was...

Yet even after taking onto consideration the Enlightenments athiestic conclusions, it's philosophies still offered religion a more genteel posture of disagreement when compared to the barbaric persecutions of kings and popes in prior centuries. This tolerant temperament also invited synthesis between Christian belief and Enlightnement Philosophy.

Consider this gospelesque quote from the Enlightments exemplar book, the Encyclopédie...
"Reason is to the philosopher what grace is to the Christian... Other men walk in darkness; the philosopher, who has the same passions, acts only after reflection; he walks through the night, but it is preceded by a torch. The philosopher forms his principles on an infinity of particular observations. He does not confuse truth with plausibility; he takes for truth what is true, for forgery what is false, for doubtful what is doubtful, and probable what is probable. The philosophical spirit is thus a spirit of observation and accuracy." (Philosophers, Dumarsais)

By the early 19th century the synthesis of christianity and enlightnement produced a millennial theology in which the gospel and science would go hand in hand in bringing the light of Christian civilzation to a dark primitive world. Reason and Grace became the single shared light.. Americans both religious and non religious were enthralled as Sameul Morse successfully tested hisscientific invention of the telegraph with the enthusiastic expression "What hath God Wrought!"

But after the horrors of the American Civil war, and Darwin's Origins, the synthesis became strained. Evangelicalism entered into the 20th century disenchanted with "progress" and became stretched to the breaking point between two poles. And soon after, by the latter half of the 20th century everyone else was also growing disenchanted with "progress"

And so, having first been disenchanted by religion, and then by scientism, modern western man became "post-modern." convservative Evangelicals are of course mostly disenchanted with the ideologies of science, but not disenchanted with their own biblical faith...and in that sense we are not fully post-modern....but we feel adrift in our own age and culture..

If I seemed positive about either the enlightenment or post-modernism, I apologize; I was trying to affect ambivilance. These things simply are as they are. However, if there is one thing in Post Modernity to be positive about, it is the disenchantment with unreasonable faith in mans own self certainty.

Part of what I saw Robert achieving, with his review of the history of televangelism, was to help the last few remaining practitioners in the experiment of mass evangelism to face the music, and finally accept the spiritual impotence of technology and political connections. The synthesis Is over.

Blessings,

MC

2013/1/23 21:13Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

I think that's a word there bro. Mike.

2013/1/23 22:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy