SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is It Really That Important????

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Is It Really That Important????

I know this thread will be quickly archived. These threads never last that long? But saints I ask. Is the Bible really that important to us? Please do not quote the pat answer. Just be honest. How important is the word to us?

I read of restricted nations where believers go to great lengths to own a copy of this blessed book? Even in places like N. Korea where one caught owning a copy of the word would bring instant death or imprisonment or death.

I recounted in a past thread how imprisoned believers in Eritrea treasured verses on scraps of paper. Saints how important is the word to us? Do we treasure it? Are we like Jeremiah who finds the words of life and eats them? They are the joy and delight of his heart?

There was a thread that was posted where Keith Daniels shared how Moody was transformed by reading chapters of the Bible. Sometimes for days on end. This was a man who had about the equivalent of a 6th grade education. Yet we regard him as one of the greatest soul winners in history. Yet this was a man God used to bring revival to America and Scotland. All because he found great faith through continually immersing himself in scripture.

Question. If that same book can change Moody. Will it not change us? I may not be the brightest bulb in this forum. I am a 61 year old blind man. I have no theological education. Compared to many of you my intellect is lacking? So I ask those of you who know Christ far more better than I ever will. Is the Bible really that important? Am I wrong to want to spend more time reading or listening to it?

Bearmaster.

2012/9/28 7:49
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Is It Realky That Impirtant????

Rather than start with my own opinions, I'll start with scripture.

Romans 10:17, 'So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.'

Matthew 24:35, 'Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.'

God's word is eternal, and for our faith to grow, we should be desirous and willing to spend time in God's word.

We read in scripture that man cannot live by bread alone, but by every word of God...

It also tells us in the Psalms of eating God's word, liken it to the honeycomb etc.

If we really delighted in God's word, and loved Him as we say we do, then, we won't have a hard time reading the word. And God will increase our understanding of His word.

I have seen things like the one minute Bible, and I wonder, what kind of person who professes Christ as Lord of their lives, can only manage one minute of 24 hours in His word?

God sees and knows all, so let Him see that we love Him and His word.

God bless.

2012/9/28 9:15Profile

Re:

Enid I too have seen the One Minute Bible. For someone to spend one minute in the glorious word is like someone eating only a nutrition bar once a day and surviving. They would become weak and anemic. For sure that is what the church in America and even England is.

I am finding even in my own walk with Jesus I need more and more extended times in his word. And it seems it is never enough. But knowing persecution is coming. We need the blessed word to sustain us in the rocky times that lie ahead.

Bearmaster..

2012/9/28 9:50

Re:

I will answer your question this way.

Luke 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus listening to every word that proceedeth out of His mouth.

This is the word of God that I cherish. It's what God is speaking right now. When He speaks it's always in connection with the written word, but it's the word made alive by the Spirit and not just by reading it because faith cometh NOT by reading, but HEARING and hearing by the word of God.

When we see the words, "Word of God", we automatically assume the bible. But that is not what the Word of God is. The Word of God is Spirit.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

It doesn't say the "Bible" became flesh.

Now don't go the other way and think that the bible is not important, the bible is MOST important. But if a believer doesn't have one, than he has the Word to speak to Him and teach him.

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

It's important that we hear God speaking to us, so that when we do read or hear the bible we will know that the same voice that is speaking to us is the same One who spoke to the characters in the bible.

And it's no wonder that those in distant lands that obtain a page or a fragment from the scriptures why they rejoice, the same God they serve speak to them through what they read and hear. They will hold on to every whip stitch, unlike us today who can get a bible now from the Dollar Store for a buck, we do not see it as important as those who can't get a bible because we need to come under some hardship. We need some persecution. Persecution is our glory.

2012/9/28 9:54
stevet83

Re: Is It Realky That Impirtant????

Amen bro! Thats a good place to be. Truth, truly does transform. It ain't wrong to believe that, but you'll get a lot of flack from others. Stay strong.

2012/9/28 16:12Profile
mama27

Re:

I thank you for your words, Bearmaster. I do not love the Word like I ought to, I do not love it like I WANT to....I pray that God would make me hungry. I am thankful that I am convicted - it means there is LIFE....

2012/9/28 16:42Profile
RuthJames

United States

Re: mama27

I feel like im kind of in that same stage... mainly because of school, im a high school student that doesn't want to lose my faith..and with home work, unsaved students, and more homework, it seems to get more complex reading my Bible, even though it shouldn't be that way and i feel so bad for hurting Him, because HE is my creator, the lover of MY soul. I pray for God to open my eyes to the importance of His word.

2012/9/28 18:46Profile

Re: Is It Really That Important????

the Bible enriches me and empowers me to fight the devil. he sure hates it. psalms, gospels, epistles... I read, I seek, I find grace, I worship, I thank Him, I grow, I learn. What a wonderful gift that God preserves His truth. Amen!

2012/9/28 21:19

Re:

Ruth just start giving it 15 minutes a day. Say spend 15 minutes reading New Testament in the morning and 15 minutes reading Old Testament at night. In one year you would have gone through the Bible which is something mist adults have not done.

The thing is you establish solid Bible reading habits when you are young. They will reap great benefits when you reach adulthood.

Sister will be praying God makes a way for you to be in his word.

Bearmaster.

2012/9/28 21:23
onemite

Re: Is It Really That Important????

I know the first bible that I read seeking God, I was given in one of those countries that bibles are forbidden. It sat in my closet for over a year before I heard the Lord's call. Since the Word became life to me, I cherish having a bible. I usually have it with me at all times.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not thinking the book itself has mystical powers, no. Even the words themselves can remain lifeless. Jesus said, "you search the scriptures taht you may find eternal life, and these are which testify of Me."

Once the Holy Spirit began teaching me and leading me to see Jesus in the words, well that WORD became ALIVE!
Hebrews 4:12 says, "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." This Word, coupled with the Holy Spirit, transforms us through the renewing of our mind, conforming us to the image of the Son.

His Word washes me!

Now I have to say, that sometimes I read and it's blah.
They are just words and I can't seem to get deeper than the words. The memory, however, of seeing them come to life, seeing Jesus in the O.T, and seeing the character of God causes me to persevere and search out my heart and draw near to God asking for what is hindering. I believe God is always willing to reveal Himself to us through His Word. Sometimes it takes time and perseverance to push through my own pride but God IS a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

2012/9/28 21:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy