SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : When was the New Covenant made available to the human race?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

When was the New Covenant made available to the human race?

The bible makes it very clear That the New Covenant or Testament could not even start until after Christ's Death.

Heb. 9:16-17, "For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth."

Now I do believe that the New Covenant or Testament took place on the day of Pentecost.

Even Christ told his Disciples that He must die before the Holy Spirit could live within and abide in them.

John 16:7, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you."

This fact is an extremely important aspect of truth that needs to be understood and embraced.

To have a good understanding of the New Covenant we need to know when it was established and made available to the human race.

* edited spelling and title.

2012/8/23 5:43
PQ

Europe

Re: When was the New Covenant established and made available to the human race?

The Christian is the fruit/result of the Covenant.
A man and a woman enter into a marriage covenant, and the children are the fruits or result of the Covenant.

Our LORD's death redeemed the human race. Our LORD's resurrection justified the human race, but also brought into existence a new race. If any man be in Christ...

pq*

2012/8/23 5:59Profile
passerby

Re: When was the New Covenant made available to the human race?

Quote:
Now I do believe that the New Covenant or Testament took place on the day of Pentecost.

Do you mean to say that the New Covenant is only made available on the Day of Pentecost?

How about the old testament saints, under what covenant were their salvation granted?

Was it not written that we are saved apart from the law?

2012/8/23 7:55Profile

Re: the New Covenant is only made available on the Day of Pentecost

I am saying that before the day of Pentecost that no one had the possibility of being indwelt by Christ Himself or The Holy Spirit.

Now the Holy Spirit was given out to certain individuals at certain times but even then He was never a permanent resident within anybody.

Heb. 11:39, "And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect."

Before the day of Pentecost it was impossible to receive this promise.

Even the Disciples themselves did not truly become Christians till the day of Pentecost.

2012/8/23 8:21

Re: the Disciples themselves did not truly become Christians till the day of Pentecost.

Consider the fact that Judas Iscariot had also been given power to heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead but there had clearly been no change in his nature.

Look what Jesus said to Peter.

Luke 22:32, "But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren."

It was impossible for even them to experience the New Nature as the result of Christ Himself living and abiding in them before the day of Pentecost.

2012/8/23 9:27

Re:

"I am saying that before the day of Pentecost that no one had the possibility of being indwelt by Christ Himself or The Holy Spirit."

actually, that's not correct. This scripture shows the disciples received the Spirit BEFORE Pentecost. The disciples where "filled" here, and "baptized" on Pentecost.

On the evening of that day, the first day of the week, the doors being locked where the disciples were for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said to them, "Peace be with you." When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, "Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, even so I am sending you." And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit.
(Joh 20:19-22)

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=46378&forum=34&0

2012/8/23 11:36

Re:

Christ did give them the Holy Spirit so they could do miracles in His name.

They still did not receive the promise of the ever present Holy Spirit dwelling within them. It was also impossible for them to have Christ truly dwelling within them.

They could not yet participate in Christ's divine nature. Like all old testament saints their sins were only covered, not yet totally taken away.

They did not yet have a new heart or a new Spirit and where not yet converted. They where not new creations in Christ until the day of Pentecost.

Only after Christ death and resurrection was the New Covenant enacted. Until Pentecost they all lived under the old Covenant.

2012/8/23 11:52

Re:

Actually, the verse I posted where Jesus breathed on the disciples to receive the Holy Spirit in John 20, happened after Jesus was resurrected. It's quite clear that this is when they were indwelt with the Holy Spirit.

You said: "They could not yet participate in Christ's divine nature. Like all old testament saints their sins were only covered, not yet totally taken away.

They did not yet have a new heart or a new Spirit and where not yet converted. They where not new creations in Christ until the day of Pentecost.

Only after Christ death and resurrection was the New Covenant enacted. Until Pentecost they all lived under the old Covenant."

I can't find any scripture to support what you are saying.

2012/8/23 12:09

Re:

I disagree with you on this.

"What Jesus said in John 20:22 was simply a promise of the Holy Spirit; the disciples did not receive the Holy Spirit at that moment…The statement was a pledge…that would be fulfilled on the day of Pentecost." (John MacArthur)

The arrival of the Holy Spirit was predicated upon Christ’s glorification. "But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified" (John. 7:39). The completion of Christ’s earthly work, the Ascension (which had yet to occur) was on Jesus’ mind when He prayed in John 17 (verses 1-5, 24) to regain the glory He had with the Father before the world began.

If the Holy Spirit was fully given in John 20:22 as some believe, the results are disappointing. Little spiritual change appears to occur as the disciples are still meeting behind locked doors in fear, they are found in their old employment playing their old comparison games. Furthermore, Jesus still needs to restore Peter from his sin of denial and Thomas’ faith is predicated on his sight, not the internal witness of the Spirit. This is a far cry from the events recorded in Acts after the arrival of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost which includes, by contrast, suffering for Christ, great boldness and unceasing proclamation of the Gospel.

2012/8/23 13:06

Re:

"What Jesus said in John 20:22 was simply a promise of the Holy Spirit; the disciples did not receive the Holy Spirit at that moment…The statement was a pledge…that would be fulfilled on the day of Pentecost." (John MacArthur)

And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit. (Joh 20:22)

It doesn't say "receive a pledge of things to come". It says "Receive the Holy Spirit". We should take Jesus at His word.

What the disciples and other believers received in Acts was what John spoke of when he said:

I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit." (Mar 1:8)

In the book of Acts, each time a disciple received the Holy Spirit, it was evidenced by a visible outward sign; most notably tongues and prophesying. So are you saying that when a believer is converted they should manifest one of these outward signs as evidence of their salvation?...because that is what happened in Acts when someone received the Holy Spirit.

2012/8/23 13:40

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy