SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Amy Wilson Carmichael - If

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Amy Wilson Carmichael - If

Amy Carmichael gathered together some challenging thoughts in a little book called [i][b]'if'[/i][/b].

[i][b]If[/i][/b] I belittle those whom I am called to serve, talk of their weak points in contrast perhaps with what I think of as my strong points; if I adopt a superior attitude, forgetting "Who made thee to differ? And what hast thou that thou hast not received?" [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/i][/b]

2005/1/4 15:06Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

No. 2

[b][i]If[/b][/i] I find myself taking lapses for granted, "Oh, that's what they always do," "Oh, of course she talks like that, he acts like that," [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/i][/b]

2005/1/5 3:18Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Quote:
[b][i]If[/b][/i] I find myself taking lapses for granted, "Oh, that's what they always do," "Oh, of course she talks like that, he acts like that," [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/i][/b]

That one hits close to home. Among unbelievers, particularly some of my coworkers whom I've gotten fairly used to, I'm sometimes in an awkward position when one of them blasphemes or says something vulgar or otherwise sins gratuitously. I can confront them, albeit in as prideless a way as possible, not necessarily kind, but not in such a way as to provoke them to think I'm claiming to be better, as that is not the issue, or I can ignore it (typically praying silently or in a nearly inaudible voice). In justifying the latter, I sometimes think along the lines of "They're unbelievers, that's what unbelievers do," not as a means of excusing the behavior, but as a reason for not taking them before the Judgment seat for every manifestation of their sin.

How ought a Christian conduct themselves in such an environment?

2005/1/5 4:39Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

No. 3

[b][i]if[/i][/b] I can enjoy a joke at the expense of another; if I can in any way slight another in conversation, or even in thought, [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/i][/b]

2005/1/6 4:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

No. 4

[b][i]If[/b][/i] I can write an unkind letter, speak an unkind word, think an unkind thought without grief and shame, [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/b][/i]

2005/1/7 3:48Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

No. 5

[b]If[/b] I do not feel far more for the grieved Saviour than for my worried self when troublesome things occur, [b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/b]

2005/1/8 4:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hi Keith,

Thought you brought up an excellent question and started a post here:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4199&post_id=28326&order=0&viewmode=thread&pid=0&forum=35#28326] 'Christian' conduct[/url]

2005/1/8 7:57Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: No. 6

[i][b]If[/i][/b] I can rebuke without a pang, [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/i][/b]

2005/1/9 6:04Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: No. 7

[i][b]If[/b][/i] my attitude be one of fear, not faith, about one who has disappointed me; if I say, "Just what I expected" if a fall occurs, [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/i][/b]

2005/1/10 3:02Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: No 8

[i][b]If[/i][/b] I am afraid to speak the truth, lest I lose affection, or lest the one concerned should say, "You do not understand," or because I fear to lose my reputation for kindness; if I put my own good name before the other's highest good, [i][b]then I know nothing of Calvary love.[/b][/i]

2005/1/11 3:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy