SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Counterfeit or Genuine Tongues?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
brothagary

Re:

thats how i feel too brother

i dont pray in toungs much ,it doesnt just come on

but i make my self then nomlay with in afew minutes

i start to feel edafied and like im flowing in prayer

most of the time i now what im praying for

maby becasue iv asked to interpreat my prayers

but i still doubt weather this is the gift of toungs

because iv herd of other descriptions of what toungs are

if it wasnt for the edafication i get when i pray like this , i would say with out doubt it is not real

i dont pray much maby 1 every 2,3 months

but i notice some thing going on in my spirit

and something in me refuses to reject my experance of edafictaion

2011/10/31 23:55Profile
savannah

Re: Counterfeit or Genuine Tongues?

Michael Liao,

You ask,

"If anyone can help me here please?"

Maybe I can, maybe I can't.

I'll try.

Can you please tell me what tongue(s)/language(s) you've spoken in when,as you put it,"tongues just shot out of my mouth"?

I ask this in the Light of His Word in Acts 2:4-11,

"And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in other languages, as the Spirit gave them utterance. And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because every man heard them speak in his own language. And they were all amazed, and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these who speak Galileans? And how do we hear every man in our own language, wherein we were born? Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and Proselytes, Cretes and Arabians we hear them speak in our languages the wonderful works of God."

In the verses above note the word language(s)is used 4 times.

Adam Clarke comments on verse 4 thus,

"To speak with other tongues - At the building of Babel the language of the people was confounded; and, in consequence of this, they became scattered over the face of the earth: at this foundation of the Christian Church, the gift of various languages was given to the apostles, that the scattered nations might be gathered; and united under one shepherd and superintendent (επισκοπος) of all souls."

And A.T. Robertson comments on verse 4 thus,

"With other tongues (heterais glōssais). Other than their native tongues. Each one began to speak in a language that he had not acquired and yet it was a real language and understood by those from various lands familiar with them. It was not jargon, but intelligible language. Jesus had said that the gospel was to go to all the nations and here the various tongues of earth were spoken. One might conclude that this was the way in which the message was to be carried to the nations, but future developments disprove it. This is a third miracle (the sound, the tongues like fire, the untaught languages). There is no blinking the fact that Luke so pictures them. One need not be surprised if this occasion marks the fulfilment of the Promise of the Father. But one is not to confound these miraculous signs with the Holy Spirit. They are merely proof that he has come to carry on the work of his dispensation. The gift of tongues came also on the house of Cornelius at Caesarea (Acts 10:44-47; Acts 11:15-17), the disciples of John at Ephesus (Acts 19:6), the disciples at Corinth (1 Corinthians 14:1-33). It is possible that the gift appeared also at Samaria (Act 8:18). But it was not a general or a permanent gift. Paul explains in 1 Cor. 14:22 that “tongues” were a sign to unbelievers and were not to be exercised unless one was present who understood them and could translate them. This restriction disposes at once of the modern so-called tongues which are nothing but jargon and hysteria. It so happened that here on this occasion at Pentecost there were Jews from all parts of the world, so that some one would understand one tongue and some another without an interpreter such as was needed at Corinth. The experience is identical in all four instances and they are not for edification or instruction, but for adoration and wonder and worship.

So,again I ask,

In the Light of His Word in Acts 2:4-11 can you please tell me what tongue(s)/language(s) you've spoken in when,as you put it,"tongues just shot out of my mouth"?

Not to "spark a lot of controversy" but rather for "some spiritual discernment."

Thanks Michael.

2011/11/1 0:10Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the problem here is that few if anyone who have not moved in this manner understand that there are two different things we talk about that are understood as one. there is a prayer language and then a gift of tongues;not the same... a dear friend who wrote a masters paper at a prominant baptist seminary on "tonges are not for today" which was accepted was called to pray for his mother who was dying not but a few months afer graduating from sem....he prayed and nothing changed and he went into another room and wept sore over his moms condition and asked God why we did not have the same power that the apostles had to lay hands on folks for healing and as he wept he began to speak in either the tongues of men or angels and went back into his moms room and prayed for her and god raised her up.this is a very misused item that brings confusion on the body as a whole.when you operate in the gift of tongues there must be an inturprtation or it is out of order. when you pray in tongues it is to be done privately so as not to confuse and always as everthing must be done in love,preferring one another.jimp

2011/11/1 0:49Profile

Re:

[Quote] "When you operate in the gift of tongues there must be an interpretation or it is out of order."

Quote:

I find it funny how Baptist talk about speaking in tongues and how things should be done in order but won't allow anyone to give even a peep in their services to those that might have something to say from God for them through this gift.

The tongues of men is not something that a person has learnt. When they speak in the tongues of men, they think they are speaking in tongues because they don't know what they are saying unless it's interpreted. The same goes with the tongues of the divine unless it be interpreted.

Your friend spoke in the tongues of angels because speaking in the tongues of men would have no benefit to his Mother because they both spoke the same language, unless there was some non speaking English fellow/woman standing about to hear it.

Healing the sick is more easier than speaking in tongues.

2011/11/1 6:41
jimp

Re:

hi, it is NOT about tongues bro. approved it is about the Holy Spirit...Jesus told them to tarry in jerusalem until they were filled w/ the Holy Ghost after He breathed upon them and told them to receive the Holy Spirit.the two words for power in the greek enter into this also;they were to tarry till they receive dynamic power rather then the authoritive power they had already. one word describes a police officer the other is the officer with a gun.jimp nowhere does it say you shall receive tongues after that the Holy Spiritcomes upon you...power...dunymos.

2011/11/1 7:29Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, it is NOT about tongues bro. approved it is about the Holy Spirit...Jesus told them to tarry in jerusalem until they were filled w/ the Holy Ghost after He breathed upon them and told them to receive the Holy Spirit.the two words for power in the greek enter into this also;they were to tarry till they receive dynamic power rather then the authoritive power they had already. one word describes a police officer the other is the officer with a gun.jimp nowhere does it say you shall receive tongues after that the Holy Spiritcomes upon you...power...dunymos.

jimp

Re:

jimp

Re:

jimp

Re:

Re:

Quote:
there is a prayer language

I wish just once someone would show me a scripture reference to this "prayer language". Praying tongues, obviously yes, but "prayer language"?

Can someone please enlighten me as to where this is in the Bible because in 17 years of being a believer I've not found it.

Help me out.

Krispy

2011/11/1 7:39

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy