SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : ADHD - What could be the Spiritual roots/cause of ADHD

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jochbaptist

ADHD - What could be the Spiritual roots/cause of ADHD

Does anybody have a testimony of overcoming the spiritual/soulish/fleshly causes of having this condition? Or any opinion or revelation on it? Was there a previous post on this topic?

Blessings

2011/10/10 5:03Profile

Re: ADHD - What could be the Spiritual roots/cause of ADHD

Regeneration.

Krispy

2011/10/10 8:37
jochbaptist

Krispy ....

Very true! That is the answer to every single post on this forum. But it does not really make me feel blessed, encouraged, or helped in this matter..... Only corrected in a blunt, insensitive, shallow way.

Blessings

2011/10/10 10:09Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Jochbaptist

One of boys struggled with these kinds of issues when he was younger. He had a difficult time concentrating and this would lead to bouts of anger for him. It has taken a lot of prayer and patience working with him and helping him to see that in all things even in this he had to turn it over to the LORD. My husband and I did not go the medicine route with our son because I home schooled and I felt that was not what the LORD would have us do. Also little boys on average tend to be a bit unfocused and I think that doctors can run to pills when they are not needed. I can tell you that there were days when I just sat and cried for my son because I was sure he was never going to be able to get his emotions or his anger under control.(under GODS authority and control) For him his lack of being able to focus made him feel stupid or like he was a failure. These feelings of failure are what lead to the anger he struggled with. He is grown now but there are still days when he has a hard time staying focused, he still struggles with feelings of inadequacies so he spends a lot of time in prayer. He said it has helped him to see that he needed to relinquish everything to the LORD, even his feelings of frustration and anger, to realize that he could not do anything on his own. He also said it helped learning to mediate on the things of the LORD, this helped calm his mind and enable him to focus on task he had.

Not sure if any of this helps but I will pray for you.

God Bless
maryjane

Edit to hopefully be a little more clear.

2011/10/10 10:37Profile

Re:

Quote:
Very true! That is the answer to every single post on this forum. But it does not really make me feel blessed, encouraged, or helped in this matter..... Only corrected in a blunt, insensitive, shallow way.

Ditto!

I was actually going to go somewhere with my "regeneration" response... but I was expecting a different response. So nevermind.

Krispy

2011/10/10 11:17
jochbaptist

Re:

MaryJane-

It helps a lot, thank you. And it is perfectly clear.

Blessings

2011/10/10 11:24Profile

Re:

Many researchers are finding this is also a "dietary" problem. Our food is not what it was 50 yrs ago.

2011/10/10 11:28
jochbaptist

Re:

Krispy

I am sorry about that last sentence, it was unnecessary and reactionary. Please accept my appology.

Where were you planning to go with this?

Joch

2011/10/10 11:34Profile

Re:

Apology accepted, friend.

When God regenerates a heart He recreates it. All things are made new. This means our desires change too. It does not mean that we dont go thru dry spells because we all do.

Now, in regards to ADHD please keep in mind that I am not a doctor and have no business giving medical advise.

Schools are very quick to label a child (the vast majority of which are boys) as ADHD. It's not that they actually have some sort of problem... it's that the schools are geared for girls, and boys are not girls... and they behave differently. It is not normal for an 8 year old boy to sit still behind a desk all day. Hey, I'm a 44 yr old man and I cant sit still for that long!

So what passes for ADHD is not really ADHD. It's society (and parents) not wanting to deal with an active boy.

Now, discipline comes into play here too... and thats where the regeneration part comes into play. God can take an unruly and rebellious human being with no desire to be disciplined or display any amount of self control... and He can change them.

Once a person is truly saved (and I emphasize "truly") God then begins to do a work in that person's life. Some people grow at an accelerated pace, others not so much. But God does grow them spiritually. Thats called "sanctification". Out of the process of sanctification that child of God will begin to show the fruits of the Spirit in his or her life.

What are the fruits of the Spirit? Galations 5:22,23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, SELF-CONTROL; against such things there is no law."

Another word for self-control is self-discipline. That should be one of the results that will eventually show itself in the life of a truly regenerated Christian. And this is not something that will magically take place... we put some effort into it as well. The difference maker is that the Holy Spirit ENABLES us to do this.

And thats what it takes for someone who has trouble focussing or whatever the issue is: self discipline.

Actually, for a lot of children the cure for so-called "ADHD" is not only the Lord... but also some good old fashioned (and Biblical) parental discipline! The parents need to step up and discipline and punish the child. Too many are not.

So... thats where I was going with this. I am NOT saying there is no such thing as ADHD! Please do not misunderstand me. But what I am saying is that my opinion is that most people classified with ADHD do not seriously have some sort of medical disorder. They have a self-discipline problem, and tho they can learn to be more self-discplined without God... true godly self-discipline comes from the Holy Spirit thru regeneration.

Krispy

2011/10/10 12:18
Lysa

East TN for now!

I had ADHD as a child and my mother has later said, “If there was a pill for what you had, I would’ve put you on it.” About 20 years I was going down a list of 100 statements to find if a person was ADHD, I found that I could have said yes to 96 of them but in reading through them I saw where the Lord had helped me with about 1/3 of them.

As an adult woman, has it gone away magically? No, and the Holy Spirit is still helping me with the rest of them. Though, you need to know that I would not take back being ADHD for anything. But I do know my ex-husband would take back my having ADHD; but I wouldn’t take it back, not even for him. I say that because the things he fell in love with about me... in the end were the same things he absolutely hated about me (but that was his cross to bear and learn to submit them to the Lord).

We all have things we must submit to the Lord with our spouses because every person ever created is not perfect in so many ways and learning to live with ANY one after the lovey dovey feelings are gone... therein lays the true test of love!

My final statement... do NOT put any child with ADHD on any type of medicine, please!

God bless,
Lisa

2011/10/10 12:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy