SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Catherine was a feminist?? :) this makes me chuckle

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
StarofG0D

United States

Catherine was a feminist?? :) this makes me chuckle

Catherine shared William's commitment to social reform but disagreed with his views on women. Catherine was an avowed feminist. On one occasion she objected to William describing women as the "weaker sex". William was also opposed to the idea of women preachers. When Catherine argued with William about this he added that although he would not stop Catherine from preaching he would "not like it". Despite their disagreements about the role of women in the church, the couple married on 16th June 1855, at Stockwell New Chapel.

It was not until 1860 that Catherine Booth first started to preach. One day in Gateshead Bethesda Chapel, a strange compulsion seized her and she felt she must rise and speak. Later she recalled how an inner voice taunted her: "You will look like a fool and have nothing to say". Catherine decided that this was the Devil's voice: "That's just the point," she retorted, "I have never yet been willing to be a fool for Christ. Now I will be one."

Catherine's sermon was so impressive that William changed his mind about women's preachers. Catherine Booth soon developed a reputation as an outstanding speaker but many Christians were outraged by the idea. As Catherine pointed out at that time it was believed that a woman's place was in the home and "any respectable woman who raised her voice in public risked grave censure."

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Wbooth.htm

2010/7/15 21:06Profile

Re: Catherine was a feminist?? :) this makes me chuckle

Quote:
As Catherine pointed out at that time it was believed that a woman's place was in the home and "any respectable woman who raised her voice in public risked grave censure."

I wonder why, hmmmmmmmmmmmm O_0

2010/7/16 5:12
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Catherine was a feminist?? :) this makes me chuckle

Quote:
Catherine's sermon was so impressive that William changed his mind about women's preachers.

I daresay it was the Lord who changed his mind!

I would like to add this, when you hear a woman preach by the "Spirit" and even man preach by the "Spirit," nothing else will do!

There is difference between those doing it themselves and who expound on the word by the power of the Holy Spirit! Big, huge difference!

God bless,
Lysa

2010/7/16 10:36Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Quote:
I wonder why, hmmmmmmmmmmmm

nope not really sure why paulmcg...why?

even Jesus was "censured" and ridiculed by the Pharisees

2010/7/17 9:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net