SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Thanks everyone for their thoughts! (Could use some thoughts?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
wind_blows

Thanks everyone for their thoughts! (Could use some thoughts?)

I am having such a hard time with my classes this semester. I have been having to read a large number of historical novel(written by all women) for my woman's literature class(required class). The one we are quickly progressing through right now is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It has been a difficult read for me especially because of all the commentary from my professor, a very feminist woman who is also very anti christian. Let me begin by saying I do not really like this book, its depressing, but I have to write a paper on this book and my professor will want all the feminist views explored to an extreme. She has stated clearly her belief that Charlotte Bronte was not a christian and that Jane Eyre was merely a moral character and nothing else. I am so irritated because there are some wonderful well thought out examinations of both the authors life and work that shows other wise. I have share this with my professor but she will not listen to any other point of view but hers. I know if I write my paper based on themes of the authors true religion, faith, and views on work and marriage, I am going to get a poor grade for it. If I write the paper how the professor wants I feel like I am being dishonest. I talked this over with two friends who are Christians and they told me to just write the paper as the professor wants it written. They said it does not mean that I agree or believe what I am writing, that I should just say what she wants to hear so I can pass the class??? I was shocked(and still am) I told them I feel like I am lying if I do that. They told me I am making things to complicated and that its just one paper and doesn't mean anything. That is the problem though, for me it does mean something, my name will be attached to it. One friend told me that when she has to do an assignment that she may not agree with, she just separates her personal beliefs for a time and writes what she knows the professor wants to hear. It doesn't mean she believes it just that she is giving the answer they want. Isn't this the same as compromise though?? They are right in one thing though if I keep getting low grades I won't pass the course. I have already had several discussion with this professor(she does not like me) At this point I am thinking of quitting school altogether, I am feeling very disillusioned this morning...
am I wrong about this?

in Him
ellie

Honestly it seems that most if not all my professors believe that historical figures all had no faith or belief in God. They seem bent to push that view no matter what history really tells us. Everything is subjective and open to being rewritten. Makes me very frustrated!!!

2010/3/26 12:22Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re: Could use some thoughts? What would you do as a christian?

Quote:
Everything is subjective and open to being rewritten.

The biggest problem is that the above comment isn't true at all. It's all been rewritten but is no longer subjective. There is a very rigid structure in academia and if you don't fit that..well you just better fit in.

It is a tough decision. It's one that would require much prayer. If you turn in a paper she doesn't agree with and you get a poor grade you can always challenge her on it. You can take your paper to another professor and have them grade it to prove she is being unfair. But that would turn you into a crusader and that is not something you just want to jump into.

You really have to follow the leading of the Lord and trust Him. Keep in mind Proverbs 21:1. If God can turn the heart of a king, He can direct a professor. I'll be praying for you.

2010/3/26 13:53Profile

God bless you! I will pray for you too. There is such a thing as religious discrimination. I've had to stand up to t before and it wasn't fun but God was with me and it turned around.

So yes, the blessed Holy Spirit will show you what to do, and you can't ignore your conscience. I don't think one could get a good grade by writing a paper that one didn't believe in anyway.

I like that dove picture. May He always fill and hover over you.

Blessings,
Sarah

2010/3/26 15:19

This is a spiritual battle and the way out of this would be to quit. But quitting is not really an answer. When the next problem comes along, how will you deal with it, by quitting? Curling up in a ball and hope that it will go away?. I am sure you know the answer.

The two other posters have offered the best advice for this situation. With prayer read the book and ask the LORD to read it with you. Strange as that may sound but He may just put some life into it as you read it. And give thanks for the book. That too sounds strange, but you see the devil wants you to feel anxiety and depressed. Turn it around and just give thanks for the whole thing. And pray for your Prof, she's a soul that is lost that needs Jesus. One of the things about feminism is that they are determined. Regardless of what you believe, she will have to admit that because of your determination as a woman to express what she does not like to hear or know, she should admire you for that. However, if she gives you a low grade, so be it. Leave it with God and let Him look after it. God has a way of turning things around. He has no trouble humiliating us, but when the world does it, He doesn't forget.

2010/3/26 15:34
alan4jc

Cache Valley, Utah

Hi, Mark Cahill tells a story of a female student at Purdue University who decided not to participate in a professors assignment which would have caused her to write a paper based on the idea of who she would toss out of a sinking boat in orded to save others, ( someting like that )as a Christian this idea conflicted with her beliefs. She was told to leave the class, but returned the next day anyway, and when the professor saw her he ridiculed her in front of the class and then told her to come up front and explain to the class why she believed what she did. So she came down and with Bible open for the next 20 minutes or so she shared the gospel. So I say be bold with what Christ has given and let the chips fall where they may.

2010/3/26 15:54Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Quote:
With prayer read the book and ask the LORD to read it with you. Strange as that may sound but He may just put some life into it as you read it.

Greetings snufalapagus

I am just curious about something would you offer Ellie the same advice to read this book if she had said, I have a friend who wants me to read this book even though I think the book conflicts with my christian values? If she wanted to read it for entertainment would that still be ok? Why does reading it for a college class assignment make it ok? I am not trying to say that you were implying that but wonder if you would have a different view of reading the book for entertainment purposes and what the difference would be in regards to ones christian walk? (this is just my curiosity in asking:)
Ellie I do realize that you have already read the book and that its your professor who is trying to push her views unto you, the class, and even the book itself that is the issue for you. I have read the book and I do tend to share your view of it. Jane is more then just a moral character, she chooses to follow her conviction when she leaves Edward. She is tempted to put her love for him above God but does not give into that temptation, instead she chooses to follow God's law. She leaves Edward and recognizes that if she were to put her love for him above God then she would be making him and idol in her life. In another scene Jane tells Edward that she is no angel and that she can do nothing to save him. He must work out his own salvation, she is not his redeemer. In that dialog you clearly see that Jane sees that both men and woman are equally sinful and in need of a Savior. There are feminist views in this book for the time it was written in, however they are written from a christian point of view and not from the anti christian view your professor is pushing. Write you paper on these themes and trust the Lord for your grade, do not be fearful of the professor.

I do think your friends are telling you to compromise and once you go down that path you will find yourself on a very slippery slop. I think pray over this and seek first the Kingdom of God. He will not lead you in the wrong way.

God Bless
maryjane

2010/3/26 16:34Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Ellie:

When I was in college, I chose the topic of the creation / evolution debate for a paper. I turned in a brief proposal paper with my intended topic and stance. My professor pulled me aside and strongly suggested I choose another topic. I did not. I felt it the topic I should write about and I did. He did not agree with many of the points I made in the paper and said so in his notes as he graded the paper. But because of the way I had presented my arguments and phrased my statements I still received an A on the paper. If you believe you should write the paper a certain way, I think you should. Pray about it and ask the Lord to guide your mind and pen as you write. The Holy Spirit can inspire you to write even such a seemingly mundane paper in a way that captures the attention of your professor.

Travis

2010/3/26 16:38Profile
wind_blows

Re:

Hey
Thank guys for your responses. I am really grateful for what you have shared. This particular professor and I have already had a couple of go around this semester. I know that quitting is not the answer but I am beginning to think that changing my major may be. Lately I am loosing my love for writing and appreciation for some of my favorite fictional works has faded or been tainted by others warped views. Honestly the more I look at what I am "being taught" as required to get a degree the more I wonder what or how is this suppose to help me in my career choice anyway? Maybe I am just being short sited and not looking at the big picture...or maybe for me Jesus has changed that picture so entirely that things that use to be important to me just aren't any more? I don't know.

I do plan to pray about this more. I have until Monday to work it all out. Thank you mj for affirming for me that what I was seeing is there in the book. I think it amazing that I can read this book and see Gods influence in the authors life and my professor wants to take these same passages of the story and turn them into inappropriate scenes and demonstrations of a rebellious and defiant woman fighting against christian men.

in Him
Ellie

Oh I did have some fun today though, my first cooking class. I really enjoyed it and I really had a blast. The teacher let us get right into cooking and I helped prepare a lovely Mango, Shrimp, an Avocado Salad. It was actually really good too:)

2010/3/26 17:28Profile

Re:

Quote:
I am just curious about something would you offer Ellie the same advice to read this book if she had said, I have a friend who wants me to read this book even though I think the book conflicts with my christian values? If she wanted to read it for entertainment would that still be ok? Why does reading it for a college class assignment make it ok? I am not trying to say that you were implying that but wonder if you would have a different view of reading the book for entertainment purposes and what the difference would be in regards to ones christian walk? (this is just my curiosity in asking:)

Actually I was of the impression that this is the book that the Prof wanted to be read. When I was in school we had to do an essay on "The Old Man and the Sea" by Hemingway. I didn't choose the book it was chosen by the teacher and it was certainly NOT an entertaining book. If I wanted to be graded I had to do what I was told.

I was a young Christian and I would rather have had some spiritual application but I wasn't in a spiritual school.

Quote:
Write your paper on these themes and trust the Lord for your grade, do not be fearful of the professor.

I feel the same way Mary Jane. In fact, I thought I had already said that. My bad if if I came off wrong. :-)

2010/3/26 18:44
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings snufalapagus

Quote:
Actually I was of the impression that this is the book that the Prof wanted to be read.

Ellie did say that the professor wanted her to read this book for her class. I was just wondering, some Christians find historical fiction offensive's and sinful if they are read for entertainment reasons. (not saying you feel this way) But these same Christians will say that it is ok to read the exact same books if it is for a college class. I was just wondering what the difference would be or if you had any thoughts about that? It was just me being curious really:)

You did not come off wrong in you post I was just wondering is all.

God Bless you
mj

2010/3/26 18:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy