SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Denominations – Biblical or not?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Denominations – Biblical or not?

Are they biblical?

A have noticed that a lot of folks that belong to a certain denomination believe that that denomination is preaching the truth of scripture. I listened to this Paul Washer Sermon [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=442&min=160&orderby=titleA&show=20]The Meaning of the Cross - Paul Washer[/url] where he makes a good comparison between two people who use the Bible as their authority, one being a believer and the other a deciver. He states that both use the Bible as the main authority of why they believe the way they do (I'll give you two guesses on who he is talking about :-) ).

IMO, all denominations, including non-denominationals, tend to use scripture to back their own fleshly beliefs about the Lord. If we cannot stand on the Word of God for what it says and what it is, then we stand on the words of men instead. As many of you do, I as well choose God.

How do we as a body of believers continue to spread the gospel to others without slanting it towards our own personal religiousity? Do we continue to stand on the backs of denominations (solid denominations included) because there is great men that have been and still are a part of them? Or do we put aside the denomination business and become sons and daughters of the most high God regardless of what man teaches us about Him?

1 Corinthians 2 comes to mind a bit for both sides of the for and against answers.

I do want to point out that I am not against teachers, pastors, elders etc...as long as they meet the biblical criteria, but only disagree with the man-made denominations. Thoughts?

2008/10/16 15:22Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: Denominations – Biblical or not?

When we get to glory and stand before the Throne;
we will find God is not concerned about which
church you belonged to; He only wants to know
that you know the LORD and loved Jesus and
followed Him faithfully and served Him with
your life. Denominations are the cause of much
discord and strife that should not be found in
the Body of Christ. One faith, One God, One
Body, One Spirit that should bind us together
as one!!

2008/10/16 17:11Profile
live4jc

Hi Miccah,

In my opinion, denominations are neither biblical nor unbiblical. I believe there are good denominational churches and good non denominational churches. How a particular body of believers functions, in accordance with the Word of God and the direction of the Holy Spirit, is probably most important.

I see both advantages and disadvantages to having denominations. One advantage, would be that if you were wanting to find a new church and knew that a particular church was Baptist or Pentecostal or Reformed etc etc, then you would have a good idea of what the basic beliefs of that church would be, which would aid you in making your decision. However, on the other hand, a church which subscribes to a particular denomination, generally follows a fairly well defined set of beliefs or doctrines. Again, I think this can have both pros and cons about it.

For me, it comes down to the degree to which a particular church body is following God's Word and the leading of the Holy Spirit. I believe that Christians from all churches should be encouraged to fellowship with those who attend churches of all stripes, provided they are true to the Word of God.

In Jesus,
John

2008/10/16 18:11Profile
LiveforGod

Quote:
.....but only disagree with the man-made denominations.

I totally agree with you brother. Oh i just wonder how deeply saddened must our Lord be when he looks at all this strife, division, and at times rivalry we have created . All Children of God make up the Lord's bride. It is only one, and it belongs to him. It is his Church, his people. I do not want to be part of anything else that is not God's Church.

Quote:
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body’s sake, which is the church.” Col. 1:24.

The church is the body of Christ. And its being the body of Christ, necessarily includes all His members. Therefore to call an earthly building the church is ridiculous, and to call an organized division the church is subverting the truth. No sect contains all the body of Christ, therefore, no sect is the church of God. Then as honest men, who expect to be judged by the Word of God, let us never call anything the church but the body of Christ; i. e., all the saved, either universally, or in any given locality. D.S.Warner

Oh that we would just obay God in everything his word says. If we only accepted it as it is. We tend to make things so complicated, why? Just trust the Lord, trust in his word, and leave the rest to him, he will give you the understanding.

God bless you

2008/10/16 18:35Profile

Following Jesus is the only way there can be unity in the body of Christ today. Let me paint a picture of modern day denominationalism. Is there anything wrong with this picture? Let’s say a preacher comes to hold a revival. He seems to be an Apollos (eloquent speaker). The first night of the service he declares that salvation is by faith only, but the next night he contends that salvation is by faith exercised in obedience to the gospel rather than by faith alone (Rom. 10:16-17; 2 Thess. 1:7-8; James 2:24). The third night of the meeting he declares that either sprinkling, pouring, or immersion constitutes baptism. Then the fourth night, he plainly shows that immersion only is scriptural baptism (Rom. 6:3-4). That isn’t all! The fifth night of preaching, he tells the people that they ought to baptize their babies, but at the sixth service he says that penitent believers are the only scriptural subjects for baptism (Acts 2:38; 22:16). Are you following me? He has more to say. At the seventh service he preaches "once saved, always saved," but the eighth, he tells the people that they can be lost through unbelief "after" they have been saved (Heb. 3:1-12). To top that off, the next night he says that it is all right to have a human creed, but during the last service of the meeting, he affirms that we should take the Bible as our only guide in religion (2 Tim. 3:16-17). Friend, how long would you listen to that preacher? Is it wrong for ONE preacher to preach that way? Sure it is! (1 Cor. 4:17). Do you know that the majority of people are perfectly willing for TEN preachers to preach these conflicting ideas? They call it denominationalism! That is division! That is NOT the unity Christ prayed for! (John 17:20-21). God is NOT the author of such confusion! (1 Cor. 14:33). It DOES make a difference what we believe and preach! If we don’t abide in the doctrine of Christ, we do not have God (2 John 9). Examine these Scriptures to see if this is the truth (Acts 17:11). If we reject the words of Jesus, we will be judged by Him in the last day (John 12:48).

the above was printed in a newspaper

2008/10/16 22:44
repentcanada

They are not good. You have whole denominations who are sick with sin and error and those facts are then transferred to every local church within their denomation.

2008/10/16 22:55Profile
A-Run

India

[url=http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/topical_bible_study.php#A_Six_Fold_Freedom]http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/topical_bible_study.php#A_Six_Fold_Freedom[/url]

Hi

I think this teaching by Zac Poonen (pls follow above link and listen to "Freedom From Denominationalism" under the topic: 'A SIX-FOLD FREEDOM' ) is beneficial and does throw some light on the subject of denominations.

2008/10/17 7:19Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Reply to all

Peace is not found anywhere in the world but only in the body of Christ. We have to stay focused on God and not become part of the babel of men and women, who are the authors of confusion. Religious confusion is the spirit of the world. We are one in Christ Jesus, saints of New Jerusalem that accept Him and His peace and love. Peace is a gift from God to the Body of Christ Jesus, but not the world.

All that are in Christ Jesus are not part of the pit of tribulation and confusion. We don’t walk in darkness but in light, we separate from them and gather in our Lord. We walk in Light not in man’s wisdom and its darkness. When you seek power and authority then the part of you that is a sinner is in charge. When we are humble, we are as a child putting our trust in God our Father and putting God in charge of our lives.

God loves us and is able to preserve us even in a world with the lost that are under His wrath. So please let us walk before God in light and peace praising His Holy Name togather as neighbors and members of one body. He is near that justifieth us.

KJV
Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book? When I cry unto thee, then shall mine enemies turn back this I know; for God is for me. In God will I praise his word: in the Lord will I praise his word. In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. Thy vows are upon me, O God: I will render praises unto thee.
For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living? Psalms 56: 8-13

KJV
The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him. John 3: 35-36 KJV

Eddie

2008/10/17 7:47Profile
LoveGodsWay2

Ohio, USA

The church I attend is part of a denomination. Overall our church is fairly healthy, but not perfect. I have attended other churches in the same denomination that are clearly unhealthy.

[b]The point I'm making is that many churches' problems are not with their denomination, but with their local leaders.[/b]

For example, some major denominations are giving their appoval to homosexuality. And the healthier local churches of that denomination are breaking away from them.

2008/10/17 8:12Profile
RevBenjamin

Re:

Quote:
How do we as a body of believers continue to spread the gospel to others without slanting it towards our own personal religiousity?

Paul simply stated this:

God forbid that I should preach anything but Christ and Him crucified.

I believe this is the Good News, the Gospel reconciling sinners to God through Jesus Christ.

R.G. Benjamin

2008/10/17 13:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy