Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Calvary Road - Roy Hession

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

The Calvary Road - Roy Hession

This book really opened my eyes to the definition of Revival.

Brokeness

We want to be very simple in this matter of Revival. Revival is just the life of the Lord Jesus poured into human hearts... We have only to get into right relationship with Him, and we shall see His power being demonstrated in our hearts and lives and service, and His victorious life will fill us and overflow through us to others. That is Revival in its essence.
If, however, we are to come into this right relationship with Him, the first thing we must learn is that our wills must be broken to His will. To be broken is the beginning of Revival. It is painful, it is humiliating, but it is the only way. It is being "Not I, but Christ, and a 'C' is a bent 'I'. The lord Jesus cannot live in us fully and reveal Himself through us until the proud self within us is broken

2004/7/9 13:27Profile
ZekeO

Re: The Calvary Road - Roy Hession

I don't know if anyone who visits has read this book, but as far as getting to the heart of where we need to be I highly recommend it.

Happy Reading

2004/7/9 13:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I don't know if anyone who visits has read this book, but as far as getting to the heart of where we need to be I highly recommend it.

Yes I read this book partially, Roy Hession is a great man of God and I am actually going to be getting a few tapes by him so audio sermons should be up on here soon ;-)

2004/7/9 13:31Profile
ZekeO

Re:

I must admit before I read this book, I always saw Revival as something that 'swept the whole community and hundreds swept into the kingdom.'-Duncan Campbell

Reading this though brought the whole thing home to a personal level. The cost involved in having the life of Christ manifested in our lives. Brokeness, Dying to Self, Picking up the cross, bringing our hearts to be cleansed by Christ. Naked and unashamed, letting the searching eye of his word and spirit examine every dark ally of hearts. Truely within ourselves we revile not others, like a lamb before it shearers we do not open our mouths.

To be like him and to follow him to a public display loving obedience that may cost the death of all our little insecurities to which we cling to so dearly.

On that Road

2004/7/9 13:40Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: An interesting acquaintance

We are certainly fond of reading material of this kind. It was standard reading in the Jesus movement – at least here in Sweden – some 30 years ago when I became a Christian. I have returned to Hession’s little book over and over again.
I must also comment on your address - Pietermaritzburg. I have visited and worked with quite a few churches in the area, even Ladysmith, Madadeni and Durban. I often refer to Swaziland as my second home.
Every blessing,
Lars

2004/7/9 13:41Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

I would like to bump this thread and highly recommend this book.

This is a beautiful work. I just started reading this, and can already see how much light it brings. Even if everyone read and obeyed the truth in the first chapter, Christianity in all places would cease to be weak, atrophied or dead, and would begin to thrive in the love and grace of God and spread His love and grace to the ends of the earth.

Please get a hold of this book and dont just read it, but obey the light God gives you from it. I wouldnt recommend (with any book) moving on until the Lord has taught you how to obey the light you have. It will only produce condemnation, bondage to the law and death. But, if you through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the flesh, you will live abundantly in the light that this book brings to your life!

2006/6/27 23:45Profile

Hi Zeke,

I read the book [I'm guessing here] 40+ yrs ago. I guess I should read it again because back then it didn't/couldn't have a "lasting" effect on me. But now that I know that a strong carrying out of the great commandment is the key perhaps I should read it again with that in mind instead of with the mind of the old me that was always on the lookout for a good "self help" book.

Someone [I think Oswald Chambers] has said: Why pray for revival? If the thing we experienced worked it wouldn't have to be revived, it would still be active in us....... God doesn't send revival anyway, He sends Himself.

Ormly

2006/6/28 7:15
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Yes! I'm glad to see this come up again. This book and the follow-up, We Would See Jesus, have been a tremendous blessing to me, highly recommended. This is true revival in practical terms, you will be challenged!

In Christ,

Ron

2006/6/28 9:56Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

Quote:
But now that I know that a strong carrying out of the great commandment is the key

I was just wondering what you mean by this.

Thanks,
Joe

2006/6/28 20:57Profile

Re:

Quote:

JFEdgar wrote:
Quote:
But now that I know that a strong carrying out of the great commandment is the key

I was just wondering what you mean by this.

Thanks,
Joe

The great commandment is the beginning to anyones success when overcoming spiritual obstacles. It is the motive that says "I will"; I will because I love Him. No other reason/motive will suffice. Thats how the Kingdom of God functions.

Orm

2006/6/28 21:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy