Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : In God We Trust

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: In God We Trust

Just a thought, if Christians should not be involved in politics, then Christians should not vote, right?

If you vote, then you are being involved in politics, like it or not.

Also, every nation in this world is involved in both politics and religion.

Name one nation in this world that does not follow a religion.

Including communism, secularism, humanism, democracies, these are all religions, godless religions, but religions still.

Muslims do not disassociate their religion from their politics. Do you suppose they would vote for someone who is not a muslim?

Some nations have no voting, so there is no choice as to who you have for a leader.

Like I said, just some thoughts.

God bless.

2007/11/19 10:45Profile

Re:

Quote:

rowdy2 wrote:

How can you know who is speaking the truth in a secular society? Western civilization has lasted in spite of the abandonment of its founding principles, not because of its adoptive secular principles but by the will of Almighty God. Don’t look back, “keep your eyes on Jesus and the things of this world will grow strangely dim”..

You name the three worst presidents in the U. S. A. in my life time, I voted for two of them.

Hi Eddie

That's another good point that deserves to be considered carefully - certainly made me think.

I mentioned on a previous thread, about the experience of a friend, who met a local (staunchly Evangelical) church elder just before a General Election. My home area was very strongly Labour (left wing, but not extreme left wing; though in recent years the distinctions between the two main parties have become very blurred). They naturally spoke of the election. Eddie said, "What are you voting?" The man said, "Labour, of course." Eddie said, "Have you prayed about it?"

And the man looked at him as if he was mad...

All we can do is pray who or what party we, as individuals, should vote for, vote as we believe the Lord wants, (even if it seems a bad idea to us!) and trust Him with the result - even if you turned out to have voted for a disaster!

I quoted 2Timothy, but there are other relevant scriptures. Remember also that Nero was probably in power when this was written!

2Timothy 2:1-4
[color=990000] 1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 [u]For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour[/u];
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.[/color]

In the Old Testament wicked rulers, (and some not so wicked), are seen as being mere tools in God's hand.

Assyria for example:

Isaiah 10:5-7

[color=990000]O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is mine indignation.
6 I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
7 Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither doth his heart think so; but it is in his heart to destroy and cut off nations not a few.[/color]

Daniel 4:17

[color=990000]17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that [u]the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men[/u].[/color]

Maybe the last few presidents, prime ministers etc of our nation could have been qualified as "the basest of men", but they were still appointed by God, and He decides how long their stay in power.

Yet I believe we [i]should[/i] still vote. Although it's sometimes difficult to decide who is the least "base". Without clear guidance, we should obviously vote for the one who seems least likely to make a mess of things...

Maybe this comes into the same category as prayer: If God is in control of all things and does what He wants, then why pray - what's the point? Yet He clearly wants us to. It's the same with voting (if we live in a country where there is still a truly free vote, which might not last as long as we believe and hope)

And sometimes God uses those who don't know him to fulfill His good purposes. A rcent times example was Winston Churchill, through whom God saved us from the Nazis. I haven't heard any evidence that he was ever born again, but God used him.

In the Old Testament an obvious example of this principle is Cyrus. In Isaiah it specifically says that Cyrus didn't personally know God, yet he is called "my shepherd"!

2Chronicles 36:22f
[color=990000] Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying,

Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, All the kingdoms of the earth hath the LORD God of heaven given me; and he hath charged me to build him an house in Jerusalem, which is in Judah. Who is there among you of all his people? The LORD his God be with him, and let him go up...[/color]

Ezr 1:1
[color=990000]
Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the LORD by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the LORD stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and put it also in writing, saying,

Thus saith Cyrus king of Persia, The LORD God of heaven hath given me all the kingdoms of the earth; and he hath charged me to build him an house at Jerusalem, which is in Judah.[/color]

Isa 44:28
[color=990000] That saith of Cyrus, He is my shepherd, and shall perform all my pleasure: even saying to Jerusalem, Thou shalt be built; and to the temple, Thy foundation shall be laid.[/color]

Isa 45:1
[color=990000]Thus saith the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have holden, to subdue nations before him; and I will loose the loins of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates; and the gates shall not be shut...[/color]

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/11/19 13:34
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

enid wrote:
Just a thought, if Christians should not be involved in politics, then Christians should not vote, right?

If you vote, then you are being involved in politics, like it or not.

Also, every nation in this world is involved in both politics and religion.

Name one nation in this world that does not follow a religion.

Including communism, secularism, humanism, democracies, these are all religions, godless religions, but religions still.

Muslims do not disassociate their religion from their politics. Do you suppose they would vote for someone who is not a muslim?

Some nations have no voting, so there is no choice as to who you have for a leader.

Like I said, just some thoughts.

God bless.

Enid,

You brought out some interesting points.

I'm old enough to vote, but I didn't in the last city elections about a month ago. I probably won't be voting in the presidential elections next year either.

Muslims don't disassociate their religion with politics, but their religion also doesn't have any problem with chopping people's heads off, too. :-( It part of their religion to be very involved with politics, the early Christians didn't see it this way. They were of another kingdom, one that was heavenly and that couldn't be mixed with an earthly one.

Jordan

2007/11/19 16:12Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
Quote:

Don't you think that God could also send some into politics [i][u]for a purpose[/u][/i] in these days too?

Yes, I believe God could do that, but I don't think many have been really sent by God.

Jordan

2007/11/19 16:15Profile

Re:

Quote:

HomeFree89 wrote:
Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
Quote:

Don't you think that God could also send some into politics [i][u]for a purpose[/u][/i] in these days too?

Yes, I believe God could do that, but I don't think many have been really sent by God.

Jordan

Sadly, you are probably right :-(

2007/11/19 16:51
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

You can see all through the bible where God and his people had influence in the political life.

My reply to all of this would be easy we don't need a man.

WE NEED GOD. WE NEED TO SEEK HIS FACE.

Then he'll rasie up a man. A man for that hour a man of destiny and for the very religous people in this site maybe even a woman. (I hope that upsets you and get you out of your white washed tomb) Cause it's religion that holds women back.

Having ten comandments on the walls will not help.

Having a bible in the court will not help. To some it is ink and paper.

We need God. WE NEED GOD.

Look at Daniel he sought God.
Look at Nemiah he sought God.

2Chr 7:14 if my people,ho are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land

1.Who are called
2.Humble themselves
3.Seek my Face
4.Turn from there wicked ways.

Who can ascend the hill of the Lord he who has clean hands and a pure. He shall ascend the hill of the Lord.

We are the problem listen we are the problem.

God's people chase signs chase wonders chase blessings chase the things the Heathen chase. Chase false ministers false prophets. We are like Harlots that have no shame.

Jesus said seek first the Kingdom and the right way of doing things.

Lets get back to doing things Gods way. Lets turn again to the author of our salvation.

Lets seek God and he'll heal our land he'll send the rain. He'll turn it around when we humble ourselves pray seek his face and turn from our wicked ways.

Lets us turn back to God. Lets seek the bread, Lets us seek the breaker the one that goes before and breaks open the way. Let seek the Alpha and Omega the all sufficent one the author of our salvation. The life giver the all seeing one. The Bright Morning Star.

Lets turn and keep on coming till we find him.

Lets us be the Generation that seeks God Face

2007/11/22 16:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy