SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : We Need to Talk About Peace

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: We Need to Talk About Peace

"SAVE WHOSE CHILDREN?"

"I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell."

[Be Angry and sin not - Leonard Ravenhill]

"Men are now so occupied with getting to the moon that they have forgotten how to get to heaven. They are so bent on inventing new ways to liquidate cities that they have lost sight of living. Some scientists spend their lives inventing death."

[Paralysis of Preoccupation - Leonard Ravenhill]

2008/2/10 18:57
pastorfrin

Re: "There is a generation"

Proverbs 30:11-14
There is a generation that curseth their father, and doth not bless their mother.

[12] There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness.

[13] There is a generation, O how lofty are their eyes! and their eyelids are lifted up.

[14] There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men.

2008/2/12 4:40Profile

Re:"There is a church"

Rev 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eye salve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Rev 3:21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
Rev 3:22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

2008/2/12 18:13

Re: "there is another Church"

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
Rev 3:6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
Rev 3:7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
Rev 3:8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
Rev 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
Rev 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
Rev 3:11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
Rev 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Rev 3:13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

2008/2/12 18:15
destinysweet

Re:

He Reigns..speaking of overcoming..I am treated offhandedly all the time and usually I just ignore it or if it stings particularly sharply I ask God to help me to forgive and go on,trusting Him to make this real for me..He is so faithful in this..when there is a holdup in the process ..sometimes it is due to misunderstandings that simply need to be explained as two people in Christ ought to be able to due without adding insult to injury..not always but we can and should make the effort when we are not simply given the grace to move forward graciously..I have been finding as I have come back to the sermonindex site upon seeing your comments that perhaps in this case it might help if I actually spoke up and told you what has been causing me difficulty.

I never understood the problem you had..or if you actually had a problem with what I wrote(on a post you started about a warning from Paul) a few months back concerning the vision/word I had been given about having your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace..you said that you didn't want to comment on it because of this thread on war and peace..I got the impression you were weary of the discussion about war vs peace.It seems you've gotten your second wind in that you seem to be regular contributor on this thread..I would like to share it with pastor frin..I believe it would be something he could bear witness to..perhaps he would be able to appreciate...perhaps give me some real feedback I realize that the way I write leaves alot to be desired but it is what I believe Jesus has been saying to His people who support earthly war...could you find it for me and repost it here?..you would be better at this as I do not have the computer skills yet to do this.If not..perhaps we can direct him there..if he is interested...I remember you were not very interested at the time...skimmed it you said.

I have realized that your attitude(or what I assumed to be your attitude) towards me helped to play a role in my withdrawing from this site..I have found that I am unwilling to allow the devil to get in between us due to differences in style and experience in our walks with Jesus.I feel that if we were to understand one another better and see where the real problem was ..well this would be wonderful. Thank You..I appreciate your kindness in this.
I need to post the rest of this message concerning this private matter between us..and the Lord...will you assist me with finding out how to post a private message..this PM? I'm certain it is simple once explained.
May the unity of the brethren be preserved..may our love be genuine and without hypocrisy.

2008/2/16 2:06Profile

From the thread and post you requested.

Quote:
HE_Reigns wrote:

I was just reading this article if it helps at all.

http://www.crossroad.to/Victory/names/shepherd.htm

I'm sorry I hadn't posted to your first post.
I had those two sites in my 'copy' ready to just paste and just pasted them when coming back on here.

I have very deep thoughts on this whole "war" thing and it would take a lot of rehashing of things that I've already posted elsewhere to answer.

I suppose on this particular thread, I just couldn't go there - but on the thread "We Need to Talk About Peace" on the General Section we have.

Welcome by the way and welcome to computer interaction. It's difficult - that's my experience - but pray one for another.

I'll try to find more pages that may answer your questions - but as for myself - I do believe in the gifts - as long as they point away from ourselves and unto Him and the doctrine of the one having these experiences is sound.

I understand what you're saying and I also feel Sites that expose the counterfeits of what you're asking about are much needed in these days.

I think you'll enjoy the link from the one Site above.

All His Best to you

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=20920&forum=36&start=10&viewmode=flat&order=0

2008/2/16 2:52

Re: 2 Tim 1:7

2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

[b]The Necessity of a Sound Mind [Excerpt]

We live in perilous times. Times which call for a sound mind. The following is an excerpt from a sermon by J.C. Philpot, preached in 1857, and pertinent to today.[/b]

"We are often reproached with being fanatics, enthusiasts, and people of a wild imagination, carried and led away by airy flights, without any sobriety of judgments or soundness of mind. I consider that no charge was ever more false or more misdirected. I consider that those of us who know the truth of God by divine teaching are eminently people of a sound mind eminently free from superstition, fanaticism, enthusiasm, or wild imaginations and delusive fancies. I never had sounder mind in my life than I have at this moment, and I am sure my religion has not made my mind unsound. It has made my mind sound naturally as well as spiritually, for it has cured me of a thousand airy fancies and wild ambitious desires, and given me sobriety in natural things as well as in spiritual.

To possess, then, the spirit of a "sound mind" is to have a sound judgment in the things of God– not to be drawn aside by every passing opinion– not to be allured by every novel doctrine– not to be charmed by every fresh device of the wicked one– not to be caught by every one of his flesh-pleasing snares; but to have that sobriety of judgment and holy wisdom in the things of God, with that fixedness of heart upon the Lord Jesus, and that solid experience of his Spirit and grace, as shall keep us from errors and delusions on the right hand and on the left.

Unless we have this spiritual sobriety, this ripe and matured judgment, and this firm establishment in the truth of God, we are almost sure to be drawn aside into some error or other. Satan will somehow deceive us as an angel of light. He will impose upon us some of his heresies and present them to our minds with such plausibility that they shall appear to be in accordance with the scriptures; he will puff us up with pride and presumption; he will draw us off the firm and safe ground of spiritual experience, to entangle us in a maze of confusion and error; he will beguile our minds with some of his subtle deceits, and lead us off that foundation which God has laid in Zion, and upon which all his saints have ever stood; and by working upon our Pharisaical or Antinomian mind, withdraw us away from the glorious truths that all the preachers of righteousness have ever taught. If we have not the spirit of a sound mind, we shall mistake a false experience for a true one– natural feelings for spiritual– the workings of pride and self-righteousness for the workings of the Spirit of God– and the deceits of the devil for the teachings of the Holy Spirit.

But where there is a sound mind– and that there ever will be, more or less, where there is spiritual light, divine life, gracious feeling, and a conscience made tender by God's fear– there will be a sound faith, a sound hope, a sound love, a sound repentance, and a sound work of grace upon the heart from first to last. To have a sound mind is to have a mind deeply imbued and vitally impregnated with the truth of God; and as that truth is the only really solid and enduring substance under the sun, it follows that those who know it experimentally for themselves are the only people really possessed of soundness of mind; for they only take right and sound views of all things and all events, natural and spiritual, and have, as the apostle says, "the mind of Christ."

The material above was excerpted from: "The Spirit of Power, of Love, and of a Sound Mind," Preached at North Street Chapel, Stamford, on Oct. 4, 1857, by J. C. Philpot, and based on the following Scripture: "For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." 2 Timothy 1:7.

To read this sermon in its entirety visit: http://www.gracegems.org/Philpot/spirit_of_power.htm

2008/2/24 2:32
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Quote:

pastorfrin wrote:

I'm proud that our country has been gracious enough in providing the opportunity for conscientious objection in recent times. I?d like to talk to anyone who is now considering going into the military, whether or not they are a Christian. If they are a Christian, we can study the biblical teachings. I encourage them to not sign up until they have had time
to give it some thought and prayer. Even if someone is not Christian, I'd like to talk to them before they go. Even if I don't talk them out of it, I can at least give them some warning about what it is really like.

I think that our Mennonite churches need to stop being so quiet about peace. If we all are God's children, then we need to stop following what
politics and TV tell us. We need to concentrate within our congregations and communities to be a witness like Jesus Christ asks us to be.

pastorfrin

Rom 12:18 If it be possible, as much as in you lieth, be at peace with all men.

Yet, history and headlines provide ample proof that "peace" cannot always be the Christian response to the evil that people and nations perpetrate.

Yes war is bad it's terrible but our countries would not be the way they are today without men laying there life down.

John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

--------------------------------------
Duncan's Campbell Bio

http://www.lwbc.co.uk/OnlineBooks/duncan_campbell_bio.htm

Like most young men of his generation, Duncan was enlisted in the armed forces, and in his case he was trained as a machine-gunner in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and then sent to France. His regiment was involved in many battles, including the attack at Passchendaele in 1917 when massive casualties were suffered. The brutality of army life and the senseless slaughter on the battlefield sickened Duncan until he could hardly bear any more, and it was only his faith in Christ that sustained him through the horrors of those months. Eventually, he was transferred to the Cavalry Corps and took part in the battle of Amiens in April 1918 where he was seriously wounded. As he lay on the ground, he prepared to commit his soul into God's hands when he was struck by the hoof of a charging horse whose rider heard Duncan give a loud groan. After the attack, the rider returned to recover Duncan and carry him to safety in a Casualty Station. During the journey, Duncan believing himself to be dying, uttered M'Cheyne's prayer, "Lord, make me as holy as a saved sinner can be", and he was promptly aware of a sense of great power bearing him up. While being treated for his wounds, a nurse began to sing in Gaelic, "There is a fountain filled with blood", and Duncan responded by repeating Psalm 103 also in Gaelic. A strange stillness and peace came upon the whole Casualty Station and several of the wounded soldiers were deeply convicted of their sin and trusted in Christ. In his weakness, Duncan praised God for His wonderful goodness and felt an overwhelming desire to see His power displayed in such glorious acts of mercy.
----------------------------------------------

2008/2/25 10:19Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Just a note murrcolr, and to others.

There are two differnt "quote" functions that can be used. The one at the bottom of the reply box, just above the 'smileys' will present the quotes as;

_____ wrote:

Followed by the text. The other "Quote" tab, above the reply box will capture just the text that is placed with it's parameters.

The reason for this mention is that in the former case, it can imply that the one being quoted is actually the one who wrote something when it is just as often an excerpt from an article that the person presented.

This is the case here in this instance as an example. pastorfrin is "quoted" as having written the excerpt but in fact it is from a section that he did not write in his own words.

2008/2/25 23:04Profile

Re:

Thank you Brother Mike. Learn something new everyday. :-)

Colin, forgive me, I know you were posting to pastorfrin, but do you see all those Anonymous posts on this thread - the one who actually did talk too much - well, that was me. As I downloaded this thread - I saw I did talk too much - thus interrupting I believe and I don't mean to do that now neither.

Brother - you and I know what's coming soon enough. I for one have benefited greatly by Pastorfrin's posts.

I was a pacifist of sorts before I met him, almost around the time this thread started, 28 pages ago - but he showed us the difference between pacifism and "Christian Non-Resistance".

Somewhere I posted the "affects" that knowing the difference between those two had on my thinking regarding what is Coming.

Besides there being no resistance from the first Church - looking at the Revelation, we see no resistance at all. In "those days" we see that there are no more so-called "just" wars, if you're into the last days at all.

Brother, I thank Pastor Frin for this, because looking at our martyrs from then up onto today - that "mind set" does not come 'naturally'.
And also why I interrupted this thread with the "sound mind" post. That's where it all starts brother - as you well know - with our minds/thoughts/passions/hatreds.

Pastor has been preparing me/us for what is coming. He's not some anti-war nut. He has the bullet wound and affects of Viet Nam still with him - but he brought home something more valuable through all that he went through and that is THE MIND OF CHRIST. "As a Sheep to the slaughter."

If someone so much as bumps us with their shopping cart from behind at the Grocery, or cuts in front of us on the highway, we get 'mad'. Jesus said, hatred is equivalent to murder. Anger is as close to hatred as we can get - so it starts there - regardless of where we're at.

So this whole thread and the others can help us to prepare to not hate our enemies when we see them possibly killing our own.

It's the "mind set" that matters here most. It takes a LOT to come to a true Mind of Christ, like that of a Richard Wurmbrand and so on, to deal with what's coming upon this earth.

For that, I am eternally grateful to Pastor Frin.

Pacifism is not 'Christian' non-Resistance and maybe we should just pray for each other to get through, Faithful unto the End and learn it here by not fighting with each other. That's our first test - both for how we'll treat our enemies and our witness to the world. "By this...."

Thanks Brother and thank you for the vision of Scotland you've shared. :-)

2008/2/26 0:34

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy