SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : John Murray

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
bereangirl

Toronto, Canada

John Murray

Does anyone know anything about John Murray?

I've just listened to "Work Out Your Own Salvation" and it was very good. I looked around to try to find a bit of bio material on him and found the following:

Born in Sutherland, Scotland in 1898, John Murray was educated at Dornoch Academy and, after service in France in World War I, at the University of Glasgow. A decision to prepare for the Christian ministry took him to Princeton Theological Seminary for three years in 1924. Thereafter, while studying in Edinburgh, he was invited by Caspar Wistar Hodge, Professor of systematic Theology at Princeton, to join him as assistant in 1929. He thus entered directly into the succession of the Hodges and Warfield. On account of the struggle then taking place between historic Christianity and Liberalism in the Presbyterian church in the USA, Princeton Seminary was passing through the greatest upheaval in its history and the outcome was that in 1930 Murray followed Gresham Machen, O.T. Allis and R.D. Wilson to the newly-formed Westminster Theological Seminary, Philadelphia. Here he was to teach systematic theology to successive generations of Students until his retirement in 1966.

Is this the same John Murray who's sermons are on SermonIndex?

Thanks!

Bereangirl

2006/11/25 14:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy