SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The decline of Secular AND Christian music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Words do mean something. So say what you mean and mean what you say.

2006/11/9 16:41
mamaluk

Re:

Quote:
So are you saying that just because I love Christian rock music, that my hearts desire for revival and the fact that I and a buddy constantly pray to see it come, is a bad fruit? Wow! Such harsh judgement! You know not my heart but that I am a sinner. I know not that it is wise to base your judgement upon your intrepretations! We could go on and on in arguing what God sees as edifying and holy worship, because of the Scripture you present and the Scriptures I present! We are all right to a degree, but ultimatly, thank God, it isn't up to you to interpret my heart in worship, it is up to God!

BenBrockway,

Please don't be so sensitive, my post was mainly in response to Ormly and Krispy, because I agree with both of them in some ways. As for you, I don't even think I read your posts.

Rock and roll music is fine, classical music is fine, for enjoyment purposes, but for worship, one must comply to those verses in John. If rock and roll music brings your heart and mind to Christ, indeed, God alone can judge. One can not be too careful nowadays, for there are so many false jesus out there and so many false preachers and teachers out there..you know..

No harsh judgment at all, it is GOD who said that we MUST worship Him in spirit and in truth. Someone else brought out a great point, is music even necessary? In fact, that's my take on this.

I listen to great hymnals throughout the day, but I don't worship with music at all. For I too, have long left the church buildings for quite some time now.

Ben, normally I'm always prone to apologizing to whomever I offend, but I wouldn't to you in this case, because I had no clue that you would take this so personally. Meaning, I had no intent to offend you at all.

I don't suppose I need to apologize to all those who worship with rock and roll music, for if that's the case, then they will have to apologize back to me for worshipping with no music.

sigh.. makes no sense !?

EDIT: No, I won't ever throw out any part of the Bible, I did mention the Word, worshipping in God's Spririt and God's Truth ( Word )! :)

2006/11/9 16:42Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Quote:
These modern musicians, do they radiate the love of Jesus and his peace? I have never seen them do this. They all look so sad, afraid, angry...and you say they love Jesus? Sorry....I do not see them filled with the joy of the LORD...and their music (sound) reflects this frustration with life.

Ginnyrose, excellent observations!!

2006/11/9 17:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
Rock and roll music is fine, classical music is fine, for enjoyment purposes, but for worship, one must comply to those verses in John.

...wish I had a dime for everytime I have said that in just this thread alone! (But then Ormly would accuse me of greed and being a money changer... LOL)

Krispy

2006/11/9 17:11

Re:

Quote:
I have never seen them do this. They all look so sad,

Be careful with this... one thing I tell married couples in counceling is "Never say never, always, everyone and all" because it's hardly ever true.

Krispy

2006/11/9 17:13

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Quote:
I have never seen them do this. They all look so sad,

Or angry

Quote:
Be careful with this... one thing I tell married couples in counceling is "Never say never, always, everyone and all" because it's hardly ever true.

Krispy

Hardly ever can readily be applied to the worship music being worshipful.... hardly ever is it.

2006/11/9 17:35

Re:

You really enjoy being provocative, dont you Ormly.

While you're busy throwing judgement around, perhaps you should check your own heart and attitude. You might be surprised by what you find.

I certainly come against many things on this forum, but the arrogance you are demonstrating on this thread is really over the top.

You've ruined a perfectly good thread about music and creativity by diverging completely away from the topic.

As the originator of this particular thread about creativity and music, I'm asking you politely to refrain from posting on it anymore. I cant make you, I'm not a moderator... I'm just asking... one brother to another.

If you want to argue (and that seems to be all you want to do) please start a different thread.

Krispy

2006/11/9 17:45
PTywama3

Tacoma, WA

Re:

Hey Krispy,

It's my turn to be provocative! Um... ok.

Well, in any case, I wanna know something. When you are listening to music, do you generally go for style or content? I have to ask, because it really does make a bit of difference. I know you've stated that when you're at home (aloneish) with your wife, you might put on jazz, and I get the impression that an acoustic guitar or piano might be the extent of the "band" in the Sunday services you normally inhabit if someone's feeling overly zealous. Totally not sure on that one, but that's my impression. Aside from that, I really don't know if you've discussed much, really.

I know you mentioned one hold-on band from the decade or so before I was born. Don't get me wrong, here, but its my generation's parents (the same ones who say "you call this noise music?") who keep them up and running by and large. I don't think it necessarily fair to pin that on "today's" popular musicians.

And maybe I'm nuts, but does anyone else note a growing trend in the popularity of music with the word "God" in it? Or just bands who actually do put Christian lyrics (and emphasis) into music "all the kids" buy?

I mean, I've heard it. I've seen it. We may be seeing a force of the word "God" from everything that thinks its political, but for some odd reason it's creeping back into an understood popular media.

Still nobody has answered me, though, on the point of style (except for maybe Compton... sorta). Consistency within cycles of sound is usually there, and it always has been. Everything I've seen so far has been an issue of personal taste, and the "decline of music" seems as much an issue of personal forbearance as anything else. I think we believe the world is just getting dumber.

Ya buy 'em books, ya send 'em to school... and what do they do? Think they can write music.

....Thanks, ma.

And 'fore you chime in with "music played badly is still bad music..." Ormly, try to think of it this way: words read poorly are not poor words, books written poorly for an audience do not necessarily connotate unimportant concepts, and water poorly cared for is what most people still rely on for nourishment. Aside from that, a great deal of it is personal taste. I've met people who can't stand Mozart... people older than GenX, for all those of you who have to wonder.

2006/11/9 18:38Profile
Compton

Re: from the culture wars?

Quote:
We may be seeing a force of the word "God" from everything that thinks its political, but for some odd reason it's creeping back into an understood popular media.

So much for the cultural and political wars...I suppose if politicians and entertainers of all stripes start competing for the religous consumer then it must mean we have successfully pursuaded the politicians and the culture of our 'force." Isn't that a victory?

Great news...we have increased economic and political power with the republicans, democrats and hollywood...but spiritually we are irrelelvant to them.

Goodness gracious we've been sold a bunch of ketchup popsicles by our evangelical leaders...cultural war indeed!

The only war that matters is the battle against spiritual principalities...and getting a politican or a movie studio exec to wink at us is hardly a spiritual victory. In fact, the devil is not only a pretty good theologian...he's also pretty good at political divisiveness and cultural amusement. (I wouldn't be surprised if he wears a Christian t-shirt too.)

Some tried to tell us we were Nehemiah rebuilding the wall...when it's more accurate to say we are Lot being called out of Sodom.

Dont look back!

MC

2006/11/9 20:49Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Krispy,
Perhaps you should relax a bit, don't you think? Ok, so I used the word 'never' in my post and you took exception to it and to you it discredits whatever I said.

Whenever I go into a Christian bookstore and they have all these CDs on display with the performers pics on it, I do not see the joy of the LORD radiating from their faces. Do you? Do they look like they are at peace with God and the world? I haven't seen any...there may be some but not the last time I looked. In fact they look so bad I ignore them and buy my music elsewhere. So I am lumping all the CCM musicians together. Fair? I do not know. Maybe not. But it is not my style to look among junk to find a treasure. It is too depressing.

Mind if I tell you how I have had these kind of performers as clients at CPC? (They were single...should never had to come to us...)And would you know my clients will go to church just to listen to their music? I asked my clients why do you go to church? Every last one said to hear the music. Krispy, if you know anything about the history of revivals, music played a very important role in bring about conviction to the persons attending. What kind of music is this that keeps people comfortable in their sins? This is a serious question that needs to be carefully considered.

Now if you like it, that is between you and God. Just do not play it when I come around! 8-)

ginnyrose

2006/11/9 21:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy