SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Renewed ~ Day By Day ~ Devotional

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Renewed ~ Day By Day ~ Devotional

[b]January 15[/b]

[u]The World Changes—But Not the Human Race[/u]

[i]That ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind. Ephesians 4:17[/i]

TO A CHRISTIAN, CONDITIONED AS HE is to observing life from above and judging all things in the light of eternal values, the modern feverish devotion to the newest invention and the latest happening seems more than a little ridiculous!

One thing seems to be quite forgotten: the world moves and times change but people remain the same always. Just as a pendulum remains fixed at the top while it swings back and forth from one extreme to another, so the human race remains basically unchanged while it moves through its limited arc.

No responsible person will deny that some changes made by the race over the years have been improvements and so may have represented progress and advance. However, just what we are supposed to be advancing toward has not been made very clear by our leaders!

It would seem humanly difficult, indeed, to show that we are moving toward an end when we do not know what or where that end is, or even if such an end exists at all.

The only parallel we can think of at the moment is that of a deadly-serious and fanatically determined dachshund chasing breathlessly after its tail—a tail, incidentally, which is not there because it has previously been removed. Add a large number of other dachshunds, bespectacled and solemn, writing books to prove that the frustrated puppy’s activity is progress, and you have the picture!

2004/1/15 6:26Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 16[/b]

[u]The Grace of God Cannot Be Extinguished[/u]

[i]And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. 1 Timothy 1:14[/i]

BRETHREN, WE SHOULD BE KEENLY AWARE that the living God can no more hide His grace than the sun can hide its brightness!

We must keep in mind also that the grace of God is infinite and eternal. Being an attribute of God, it is as boundless as infinitude!

The Old Testament is indeed a book of law, but not of law only. Before the great flood Noah “found grace in the eyes of the Lord,” and after the law was given God said to Moses, “Thou hast found grace in my sight.”

There never was a time when the law did not represent the will of God for mankind nor a time when the violation of it did not bring its own penalty, though God was patient and sometimes “winked” at wrongdoing because of the ignorance of the people.

The great source and spring of Christian morality is the love of Christ Himself, not the law of Moses; nevertheless there has been no abrogation of the principles of morality contained in the law. The grace of God made sainthood possible in Old Testament days just as it does today!

God has promised that He will always be Himself. Men may flee from the sunlight to dark and musty caves of the earth, but they cannot put out the sun. So men may in any dispensation despise the grace of God, but they cannot extinguish it!

2004/1/17 8:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 17[/b]

[u]Man’s Fall Created a Perpetual Moral Crisis[/u]

[i]For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous. Romans 5:19[/i]

THE FALL OF MAN HAS CREATED a perpetual crisis. It will last until sin has been put down and Christ reigns over a redeemed and restored world.

Until that time the earth remains a disaster area and its inhabitants live in a state of extraordinary emergency.

Statesmen and economists talk hopefully of “a return to normal conditions,” but conditions have not been normal since “the woman saw that the tree was good for food and pleasant” and “to be desired to make one wise” and “took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.”

It is not enough to say that we live in a state of moral crisis. That is true, but it is not all, for the Fall has affected every part of man’s nature, moral, intellectual, psychological, spiritual and physical.

Man’s whole being has been deeply injured; the sin in his heart has overflowed into his total life, affecting his relation to God, to his fellow men and to everyone and everything that touches him.

To me, it has always been difficult to understand those evangelical Christians who insist upon living in the crisis as if no crisis existed. They say they serve the Lord, but they divide their days so as to leave plenty of time to play and loaf and enjoy the pleasures of the world as well. They are at ease while the world burns; and they can furnish many convincing reasons for their conduct, even quoting Scripture if you press them a bit.

I wonder whether such Christians actually believe in the Fall of man!

2004/1/17 8:41Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 18[/b]

[u]The True Christian Is the Practicing Christian[/u]

[i]According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue. 2 Peter 1:3[/i]

THE SUPREME PURPOSE OF THE CHRISTIAN RELIGION is to make men like God in order that they may act like God. In Christ the verbs “to be” and “to do” follow each other in that order.

True religion leads to moral action. The only true Christian is the practicing Christian. Such a one is in very reality an incarnation of Christ as Christ is the incarnation of God; not in the same degree and fullness of perfection, for there is nothing in the moral universe equal to that awful mystery of godliness which joined God and man in eternal union in the person of the Man Christ Jesus; but as the fullness of the Godhead was and is in Christ, so Christ is in the nature of the one who believes in Him in the manner prescribed in the Scriptures.

Just as in eternity God acted like Himself and when incarnated in human flesh still continued in all His conduct to be true to His holiness, so does He when He enters the nature of a believing man. This is the method by which He makes the redeemed man holy.

The faith of Christ was never intended to be an end in itself nor to serve instead of something else. In the minds of some teachers faith stands in lieu of moral conduct and every inquirer after God must take his choice between the two. We are presented with the well-known either/or: either we have faith or we have works, and faith saves while works damn us. This error has lowered the moral standards of the church!

2004/1/18 5:09Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 19[/b]

[u]Obedience: The Final Test of Love for Christ[/u]

[i]He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me. . .and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. John 14:21[/i]

THE FINAL TEST OF LOVE IS OBEDIENCE, not sweet emotions, not willingness to sacrifice, not zeal, but obedience to the commandments of Christ!

Our Lord drew a line plain and tight for everyone to see. On one side He placed those who keep His commandments and said, “These love Me.” On the other side He put those who keep not His sayings, and said, “These love Me not.”

The commandments of Christ occupy in the New Testament a place of importance that they do not have in current evangelical thought. The idea that our relation to Christ is revealed by our attitude to His commandments is now considered legalistic by many influential Bible teachers, and the plain words of our Lord are rejected outright or interpreted in a manner to make them conform to religious theories ostensibly based upon the epistles of Paul.

The Christian cannot be certain of the reality and depth of his love until he comes face to face with the commandments of Christ and is forced to decide what to do about them. Then he will know!

I think we should turn for a while from fine spun theological speculations about grace and faith and humbly read the New Testament with a mind to obey what we see there. Love for Christ is a love of willing, as well as a love of feeling, and it is psychologically impossible to love Him adequately unless we will to obey His words!

2004/1/19 7:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
will to obey His words!

Do I?
Do we?

Yes, a thousand times YES!
Let the rest of everything else, die!
Have mercy on me Lord, on us.
We are unable to do anything in our own strength, only by You, through the Holy Spirit working in and through us.

No shortcut's, Dear God.
Do a thorough work in me, in us.
Purge us of all that hinders.

2004/1/19 7:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
[b]No shortcut's, Dear God.[/b]
Do a thorough work in me, in us.
Purge us of all that hinders.

God is not in a rush.. He wants us day by day to be more captivated and attentive to His ways, and His words. We have to cast our eyes off ourselves and even others and put them on Him. Let us see you, we want to stagger under a revelation of your Holiness and Majesty. We want to be filled with you.. consumed Lord. Give us an holy dis-satisfaction today and help us set our life and purposes on a crash course towards eternity. Let us be soldout for you.. "May the Lamb that was slain recieve the reward of His sufferings"...

2004/1/19 8:52Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 20[/b]

[u]Wisdom: Knowing the True Fear of the Lord[/u]

[i]The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge Proverbs 1:7[/i]

A TRUTH FULLY TAUGHT IN THE SCRIPTURES and verified in personal experience by countless numbers of holy men and women throughout the centuries might be condensed thus into a religious axiom:

“No one can know the true grace of God who has not first known the fear of God!”

The first announcement of God’s redemptive intention toward mankind was made to a man and a woman hiding in mortal fear from the presence of the Lord.

The Law of God was given to a man trembling in terror amid fire and smoke, quaking at the voice of thunder and sound of the divine trumpet.

Even the famous annunciation, “On earth peace, good will toward men,” was given to shepherds who were “sore afraid” by reason of the sudden overwhelming presence of the heavenly host.

The presence of the divine always brought fear to the hearts of sinful men, a terror having no relation to mere fear of bodily harm.

I do not believe that any lasting good can come from religious activities that do not root in this quality of creature-fear. The animal in us is very strong and altogether self-confident. Until it has been defeated God will not show Himself to the eyes of our faith.

It is sad but true that the love of God affects a carnal heart not at all; or if at all, then adversely, for the knowledge that God loves us may simply confirm us in our self-righteousness!

2004/1/20 6:29Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 21[/b]

[u]Unsung but Singing: The Unappreciated Christian[/u]

[i]Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. Ephesians 5:19[/i]

TO VALUE THE ESTEEM OF MANKIND and for Christ’s sake to renounce it is a form of crucifixion suffered by true Christians since the days of the apostles. It cannot be denied that the way of the cross is unpopular and that it brings a measure of reproach upon those who take it.

The learned historians tell of councils and persecutions and religious wars, but in the midst of all the mummery were a few who saw the Eternal City in full view and managed almost to walk on earth as if they had already gone to heaven. These were the joyous ones who got little recognition from the world of institutionalized religion, and might have gone altogether unnoticed except for their singing.

Unsung but singing: this is the short and simple story of many today whose names are not known beyond the small circle of their own company. Their gifts are not many nor great, but their song is sweet and clear!

John Milton lost his sight and mourned that loss in the third book of his Paradise Lost. But in spite of his affliction he refused to be desolate. If he could not see, he could still think and he could still pray. Like the nightingale he could sing in the darkness
“ as the wakeful bird
Sings darkling, and, in shadiest covert hid,
Tunes her nocturnal note.”

We are never sure where a true Christian may be found—and the busy world may actually not even know he is there except that they hear him singing!

2004/1/21 6:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

[b]January 22[/b]

[u]Getting Glory for God—or for Ourselves?[/u]

[i]Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31[/i]

I THINK THAT WE OUGHT TO BE MATURE enough to confess that many have been converted to Christ and have come into the church without wrestling with that basic human desire for honor and praise. As a result, some have actually spent a lifetime in religious work doing little more than getting glory for themselves!

Brethren, the glory can belong only to God! If we take the glory, God is being frustrated in the church.

The work of the ministry which the saints are to do will bring about the edifying of the Body of Christ—and this is not just in reference to the ordained ministry as we know it. It is the ministry of all Christians to have some share in the building up of the Body of Christ until we all come into the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God unto a perfect man, with a measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ.

Surely in this sense God desires to use the Body of Christ for doing His final work—His eternal work.

But Christian believers and Christian congregations must be thoroughly consecrated to Christ’s glory alone!

This means absolutely turning our backs on the modern insistence for human glory and recognition.

Natural gifts and talents are not enough in God’s work. The mighty Spirit of God must have freedom to animate and quicken with His overtones of creativity and blessing.

You can write it down as a fact: no matter what a man does, no matter how successful he seems to be, if the Holy Spirit is not the chief energizer of his activity, it will all fall apart when he dies!

2004/1/22 6:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy