SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Esteeming the Presence - Art Katz

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re: Roadsign's question ...

Roadsign said, "I think I missed the light. Can you explain?"

My Response:

I have a curious mind, I like to know what other people think. (smiling)

I like to hear the perspectives of others.

Why?

Because they may say something that I may had never thought of.

We can learn some things by asking questions.

2005/7/3 20:17Profile
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re: Chambers being too harsh?

Dorcas wrote: "I think it's a little harsh of Chambers to suggest an either of other scenario, but maybe that's a device he used to spur his students on to higher aspirations."

My Response:

Why do you think he was being too harsh?

2005/7/3 20:41Profile

Re: only 'a little harsh'

Quote:
'Why do you think he was being too harsh?'

'..to spur his students on to higher aspirations'.

I mentioned it because it is something to beware of in one's thinking.

Sometimes, harshness is justified, but, the 'either-or' way of talking can be justified only if it's a description of the real choice at the time.

Undoubtedly this was the case when he said those words. I'm anxious they are not taken to heart inappropriately. If God speaks them to you though, better not [i]not[/i] take them to heart! :-P

2005/7/3 21:29
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re: Presences of God

To Compton: Thank you for your post.

Because of something you said in your post= "I wish I knew more about the presences of God?"

I have come now to want to ask you a question.

"When do we come closest to God?"

2005/7/3 23:03Profile
Compton

Re: Like a child...

Quote:

Jake,

Just some thoughts...I hope they answer your question...

Do you remember that first time you discovered the difference between studying the Bible and hearing the Word of God?

Have you ever been in a noisy resturaunt trying to have a conversation with a good friend? That is what the consciousness of religion is like today…too many people talking on too many frequencies.

How hard is it for the Christian to quiet the soul…so many voices bouncing in our heads.

It seems lately I am having to rediscover what I had known as a younger Christian boy, before I got so busy as an adult…that the Lord likes to abide in me. I'm finding I like to abide in Him! (It seems somehow irreligous to state it so bluntly...)

In considering the presence of God, I invariably consider the state of my heart. (On this matter let me be as honest as I can in a public forum read by countless strangers!) We know that God has called us to holiness. The word "holiness", in my own local circles, has been associated with so much unhappy religous cantankerousness that I find little practical inspiration from it...for the time being I have thought of another word for the kind of heart that could bear God's presence..."innocent."

Brother, that I could be innocent of envy, strife, fear, and other impurities of the heart! Oh precious is the flow that washes white as snow! When I think on innocence, I do indeed thirst after more of God's presence.

Now let me ask you this...can a heart that has known sin, regain it's innocence? (Forgiveness is one thing...but purity is another matter altogether) To answer this question let me call attention to perhaps the most important quality of the word "innocence"...it describes the heart of a believing child that knows the Father will supply every need...

I believe this is when we come closest. As a trusting child.

Blessings,

MC

2005/7/4 3:13Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re:

Quote:

You are closest to God, after you respond to His Grace, in the form of repentance, thereby we SURRENDER to His will. It amazes me that in the church across America today, many believers think they can choose to obey the Lord. The only choice we have, my friends is to say..YES LORD! Proving we are True believers, Jesus said in the Gospel of John..

John 8:31 Jesus therefore said to those Jews that had believed him, If you abide in my word, then are you truly my disciples;
John 8:32 and you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

and also along with this Truth..

John 15:7 If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatsoever you will, and it shall be done unto you.
John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit; and so shall you be my disciples.

May I define "fruit" here in these scriptures? The lord is not speaking about the works of ministry, but of the Character of God, the like-ness of Christ, being birthed in the believer, resulting in a heart that is being pure, and Holy before God, Our Father.

When I'm the closest to God is when He sees me living and Abiding in the Living Word, that is "Christ in us"- to the Glory of God. We must surrender ourselves to death in order to become His disciples, and live a life "Approved unto God" acceptable before Him, where He is welcomed to Abide in us and…Be the closest, living out through us.
Blessings

2005/7/4 8:24Profile
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re: God's Presences

Compton, thank you for your post.

You said, "I indeed thirst for God's presence."

Yes, I can see you do.

David said it this way, I came to think you may would appreciate it. Therefore, I have chosen to share it with you.

Psalm 63:1-2,6 (NIV) says,

"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
I have seen you in the sanctuary
and beheld your power and your glory.
On my bed I remember you;
I think of you through the watches of the night."

How important it is for us to have our own personal revelation of God! Not just to rely on what somebody else has told us, or what we have heard in church. All that may be good, but it is not sufficient. There must come a time when we experience God for ourselves --- when we come to know Him firsthand, when we have such a revelation of God that nothing less than God Himself can ever fully satisfy us.

David had that kind of revelation.

He says to God, "I have seen You in the sanctuary; I have beheld Your power and Your glory. And now I am in a dry and thirsty land, but my soul longs for You more than it does for water. Even when I lie on bed at night, my meditaion is of You. You fill my heart and mind, my imagination, my longing. All the day through I am taken up with You, my God. There is no other source of true satisfaction. My soul does not find rest in any other way. I have seen You and I have known You is a way I can never forget. It has forever determined the course of my life."

One day in 1983, I met God revealed in Jesus Christ. That encounter totally and permanently transformed my life. Today, more than twenty years later, I have the same thrist in my soul that David describes --- a thirst that can be satisfied by nothing less than God Himself.

I believe you do likewise, and it is because of having received your own personal revelation of God that is why you thirst for God's presences.

If anyone were to pray, O God, fill my whole being with the revelation of Yourself. I believe that is a prayer God is very happy to answer, and He will do it.

Compton you wrote: "Can a heart that has known sin, regain it's innocent (forgiveness is one thing ... but purity is another matter altogather) To answer this question let me call attention to perhaps the most important quality of the word "innocence" ... it describes the heart of a believing child that knows the Father will supply every need."

Well, said.

There long since has been much teaching on how God will supply all our needs. However, I can't help but to think that somehow we should come to get past being focused so much on that.

What do you think?

The reason I say that is because only a fraction of the Gospel is really about what God can do for us, and is more about what we can do for God.

What do you think? (smiling)

Compton you wrote: "I believe this is when we come closest (to God), as trusting child."

I know what you saying.

For my part, I have discovered that the closest we come to the Lord --- isn't when we read the Bible or even when we pray. I find the closest we come to the Lord is when we partake of the Lord's Supper. That is, if we fully understand what we are doing when we partake of the Lord's table we do.

However, it was only after I had came to fully understand the Lord's table that I discovered this. In fact, I was a Christian for many years before that had really came to be a revelation to me.

I enjoyed reading your post.

2005/7/4 11:51Profile
JakeforJesus

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Joshua99, I thank you for your post.

You spoke of abiding in Him. I agree.

I have a question.

How do we stay connected? (smiling)

2005/7/4 12:09Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
There long since has been much teaching on how God will supply all our needs. However, I can't help but to think that somehow we should come to not be so focused on that. What do you think?

The reason I say that is because only a fraction of the Gospel is really about what God can do for us, and is more about what we can do for God.

Good point to bring out Jake...

I think the kind of teachings you are speaking about are focused on those things we need (or want) for this life...

If you look at the context of my earlier statement, it was in reference to the new heart that God gives. (edit:I feel this is also along the lines of what Josh99 was looking at.) In that area He we do indeed look to him to supply our every need. I'm thinking of Jesus' words, "Apart from me you can do nothing."
Quote:
For my part, I have discovered that the closest we come to the Lord --- isn't when we read the Bible or even when we pray. I find the closest we come to the Lord is when we partake of the Lord's Supper. That is, if we fully understand what we are doing when we partake of the Lord's table we do.

When you say that don't feel closest to the Lord, as a matter of course when you read the bible...well I can understand that. When you say that you aren't closest to the Lord when you pray, I become curious as to what prayer is in that sentence. Is it incorrect for me to believe that I can "pray always"? (If only I would...) I sometimes wonder if there is such a great distance between abiding and prayer.

Regarding the Lord's Supper, there is much renewed interest in this subject these days...Perhaps you could expound on this abit more from your perspective.

Thanks Jake,

MC

2005/7/4 12:27Profile
Joshua99

Austin Tx.

Re:

Quote:
I have a question.

How do we stay connected??

We are to simply Abide in His word, because we love Him, its not a duty of the law. This is a relationship, meaning you may at times not spend anytime in the written Word of God, BUT if indeed you have been abiding in Christ, His Word resides in you. Many times I can recall the Lord speaking to me , reminding me what I have read, that which is of His Spirit, deep in my heart. The more we are accustomed to handling the Word of God, The Holy Spirit has substance to speak to us. He will not affirm anything of the Kingdom of God without it being proved from the Bible. A lot of the resources found (written /audio/video) here at this website, are excellent tools to show the consistency of the Word of God and His Spirit speaking to His Church. Such as Oswald Chambers, D.L. Moody and our own Keith Daniels. With that being said, I REST in the assurance of God's Word planted in my spirit..

Col 2:6 As therefore you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,
Col 2:7 rooted and builded up in him, and established in your faith,(by the Word of God) even as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

and this..

Col 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; in all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts unto God.
Col 3:17 And whatsoever you do, in word or in deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Paul is speaking first to come to know Christ -is to know spiritual rest, for we know God loves us and we rest in His provision from the cross!
Second, as we mature whether or not the Lord reveals himself to us, We are not to get disturded or moved away from that which is the TRUTH!! These are the marks of a True Believer and a maturing Christian. Therefore, we walk by Faith standing firm on His Word, and enjoy His Peace, His Rest and we are able to give an account to the Hope that is being seen within us--We are His witnesses. I hope this will help and bless you.

:-) :-) :-)

2005/7/4 15:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy