SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Holy Hip-Hop Music

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re:

Now this may seem unspiritual. But let's just be honest here. Style of music is important to most of us. Usually you don't find folks who like the SOUND of Kirk Franklin listening to Point of Grace. On a positive note, Christian music has grown so much in quality. So praise the Lord for that.

To be honest with you, if Steve Camp was still the rage I wouldn't listen to him. Because I don't like him personally or his message? No. Because I don't really enjoy his style. Same goes with Keith Green.

Now I'm not so worked up about Gangsta Rap "style" (we're talking about style here folks). But Hip Hop? Fa sho. (Pray for the interpretation if you don't talk like that ever) :-P

Now I just have to say that the non-sensual hip hop music and beat is just plain cool. It has an "up" to it. (As opposed to death metal that has a definite "down") It makes me happy. In the words of Kirk Franklin's song "Stomp": "Makes me clap my hands, makes me want to dance..."

Now I don't approve of worldly sensuous gestures and club style dancing. I'm against that. But the music is great. Does anybody agree?

Before I quit, please don't respond to this with some pious attitude about the negatives of hip hop (That is if you are responding to what I have written). You can save it. I already agree with you. You're preachin' to the choir.

But anyone else love hip hop gospel music?

RT

2005/6/30 3:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
To put it into context, I work for a secular company, does that mean I'm "compromised." Christian athletes may play for pro teams, does that mean they're "compromised?" I doubt it.

Ken...

The difference is that CCM artists consider themselves to be ministers. The Bible speaks of Christians having a good reputation in the marketplace (meaning where they worked and did business), and so certainly you are correct that Christians can work for secular employers.

Where CCM misses the boat is that they are yoking together with secular companies in order to "reach the lost with the gospel of Jesus Christ". That is forbidden in scripure. We can not couple together with Satan in order to advance the Kingdom... that would make no sense. We are to have no fellowship (meaning spiritually) with darkness.

Krispy

2005/6/30 5:50

Re:

[b][size=small]Hey Compton...[/size][/b]

Very funny, dude... I cracked up when I hit that link... LOL

Krispy

2005/6/30 5:51
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re:

personally speaking, i used to be very into rap music. i was a rapper. i have preformed in churches and even in Compton's home town of Coloumbus---(can't remeer the name of the Park but it was next the childrens hospital)i'm coming out of it though. in fact i've kind of baced away from alot of CCCM. i work in a Christian bookstrore (believe me it is harder here somedays spiritually thanit was all the years in the factories) I see this CCM insdustry and every other Christian industry from behind the scenes. like anyting there are some things that are real and some that are not. it is a fact that secular bands that cannot cut it in the main stream START in the christian relam and then end up in the world after creating a fan base, when they start playing in bars and Ozzfest, there are christians that go to support thier "minisrty" in these places. (POD, Dashboard Confessional, Ghoti Hook, ReliantK, Slick Shoes, Evanesence, Amy Grant, and the list goes on)My question to this debate is...why do we even listen to music, is it to worship God or to inspire us or is it so we can dig the beat and be entertained. I refer back to Ezk. 33:31-33. Holy Hip Hop? Christain Punk Rock? Church Punks? WE are reaching into the world for inspiration instead of reaching out to the world in desperation. Maybe I'm off base maybe this is just what God is speaking to me. I'm not totally trahshing rap or hip hop, again this is just me personally, i think that there's a fine line. as for the whole "secular record label thing" that is a fine line too. even if a band or person stays away from secular record monguls, even if they never sign with a label like Word, EMI, or Provident (which sometiems when buyhouts occur, they but thier contracts)--all the stuff get shipped either UPS or FedEx-->not trying to be smart----> which are secular.

2005/6/30 9:24Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re:

Des,

I agree with what you said. Passionless, hypocritical music for the purpose of "entertainment" is pointless and degrading to the life of a true believer. This is one reason why I advocate K2S (as I spoke about before) so much.

They truly have a passion for God, and their lyrics inspire and challenge. I don't know if they have any "pointless" songs that are meant as entertainment, all of them have wisdom and scripture in them, and make you think... make you want revival.

Just my .02 cents...

2005/6/30 11:07Profile
Zapthycat

Livermore, CA

Re:

Des,

I agree with what you said. Passionless, hypocritical music for the purpose of "entertainment" is pointless and degrading to the life of a true believer. This is one reason why I advocate K2S (as I spoke about before) so much.

They truly have a passion for God, and their lyrics inspire and challenge. I don't know if they have any "pointless" songs that are meant as entertainment, all of them have wisdom and scripture in them, and make you think... make you want revival.

Just my .02 cents...

2005/6/30 11:07Profile
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: K2S

Sad to say that because they DO advocate more than entertainment--they've probably been neglected by many retailers as well as listeners.

2005/6/30 12:15Profile

Re:

CCM... 30 years ago it was about ministry because there was NO money in it whatsoever. Zip, zero... nadda.

Now there is money involved and it has become entertainment. A few bands preach a little... but they are far and few between. And thats a fact. Otherwise, they are there to rock the audience.

Krispy

2005/6/30 12:19

"Holy Hip-Hop Music"

"Holy Hip-Hop Music", I thought this was something that Robin said to Batman.

2005/6/30 16:09
inotof

Morehead, KY

Re: "Holy Hip-Hop Music"

Quote:

freecd wrote:
"Holy Hip-Hop Music", I thought this was something that Robin said to Batman.

heheheh....."holy Hip Hop Music Batman! The Joker's got a 2 turntables and a mic-ra-phone"

2005/6/30 16:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy