SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is Church?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is Church?

A long time ago the "Church," was redefined by men as something separate from the people. They created a building and a system and they called it their own. This is always the folly of men. Consider this, consider what men would do with this. Say, we had in our possession , the bush that burned and the sand that surrounded it when Moses encountered the Lord.It would be venerated and visited by the masses of people and it would be worshiped. Yet all it would be would be a bush and some sand. It is the presence of God that makes the ground Holy, whether it is a bush, some sand, a building , a living room, a basement. God dwells within His people. They are the Church. They are living stones, built upon the chief stone, the cornerstone. When two or three of them gather together, then He is there in the midst of them.

Two or three brothers and sisters. Not one, for one can worship and pray alone and come before the throne, but to the two or three there lies the promise. This corporate presence of God is unique and beautiful and Holy and majestic. It cannot be compared. It cannot because it was created that way, praise the Lord. Now if I know that and you know that then the enemy of our souls knows that too. This, I would charge, would become one of his greatest tasks, to destroy genuine gatherings of the saints. He has had much success but has ultimately failed. Just when he thinks he has down a wonderful job, then God begins to call all His children all over the world, His remnant children to come together for these, the final days.

What seems like the enemy's greatest victory will become his ultimate defeat. As the saints begin to gather in defiance of his works, then he will reveal himself and come against them with hell and all of it's fury. And then, in the midst of all of that, the Bridegroom returns for His bride. The lion of Judah returns and He rides, not on a donkey but on a stallion. Not now as the Lamb but as the Lion. He comes to bring justice and judgement. There will be a fire in His eyes and a two edged sword in His mouth, glory to God, glory to God............bro Frank

2017/3/25 12:11
beekpr

Re: What is Church?

You expressed the cry of my heart, Frank. I long to meet with brothers and sisters collectively and above anything else, sense the Presence of God in our midst. We are so tragically satisfied with "church services" of our own personal agendas and traditions that we fail to realize that our gatherings are to be to worship Him in spirit and in truth rather than with intellect and theology.
For many years I have been praying for revival - now I am discovering that God is putting a hungering into the hearts of younger people for a reality in God that the Church has largely failed to offer. As a much older person I am greatly privileged to have the opportunity to mentor some of these dear souls. Years ago, God in His gracious mercy wrenched me out of the "system" to reveal Himself to me as a Father Who desired a very intimate relationship with me as a son. Now I can encourage these seeking souls in their quest for this same blessed reality that Jesus came to restore. The fellowship which I enjoy with these young people is what I desire would be the experience in Church gatherings.

2017/3/25 20:52Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
A long time ago the "Church," was redefined by men as something separate from the people.

What I have a hard time doing is following this logic as the word "Church" is used in the New Testament multiple times as the corporate gathering of believers under Apostles and Jesus Christ, or rather to put it better "above" them as the foundation is said to be the Lord Himself and the Apostles. Also the Apostles teachings and traditions are the foundation of the Church.

Acts 11:22 - News of this reached the church in Jerusalem, and they sent Barnabas to Antioch.

This means that there was a unimamous association of believers in Jersusalem where apostles were guiding the choices made. "they" are presumably the Elders and Apostles?

Romans 16:1 [ Personal Greetings ] I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae.

1 Corinthians 7:17 [ Concerning Change of Status ] Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them. This is the rule I lay down in all the churches.

It seems clear the Apostle is stating that the same rule, tradition or command was being applied to all churches, meaning there was leaders guiding all the churches in certain ways.

1 Corinthians 11:16 If anyone wants to be contentious about this, we have no other practice—nor do the churches of God.

Some practices were binding to all churches.

1 Corinthians 11:22 Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in? Or do you despise the church of God by humiliating those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I praise you? Certainly not in this matter!

the church is spoken as something "outside" the people.

1 Corinthians 16:19 [ Final Greetings ] The churches in the province of Asia send you greetings. Aquila and Priscilla greet you warmly in the Lord, and so does the church that meets at their house.

2 Corinthians 11:28 Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches.

Galatians 1:13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it.

1 Timothy 3:5 (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?)

1 Timothy 5:16 If any woman who is a believer has widows in her care, she should continue to help them and not let the church be burdened with them, so that the church can help those widows who are really in need.

The Church is spoken as a coporate entity that has rules and helps widows.

1 Timothy 5:17 The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.

3 John 1:10 So when I come, I will call attention to what he is doing, spreading malicious nonsense about us. Not satisfied with that, he even refuses to welcome other believers. He also stops those who want to do so and puts them out of the church.

We are correct to say the Church is the people of God but it is also the Church is
the intention of God which has rules, structure and a way it should run or behave. It is a structure, institution. A country, nation or any other term we can use to classify it in someway.

Paul speaks of it as a "race" where he says Jews, Gentiles and the Church of God. Meaning it is a new race of humanity on earth.

Quote:
What seems like the enemy's greatest victory will become his ultimate defeat. As the saints begin to gather in defiance of his works, then he will reveal himself and come against them with hell and all of it's fury. And then, in the midst of all of that, the Bridegroom returns for His bride. The lion of Judah returns and He rides, not on a donkey but on a stallion. Not now as the Lamb but as the Lion. He comes to bring justice and judgement.

Brother Frank, do you mean that "his works" is what is called the "Church" whether denominational or other forms of Church associations?

2017/3/25 21:13Profile
docs

Re: Seven pictures of the church from Ephesians

1) The assembly - 1:22

2) The body - 1:23

3) The workmanship - 2:10

4) The family - 2:18-19

5) The temple - 2:20-22

6) The bride - 5:25-32

7) The army - 6:10-13

2017/3/26 5:55Profile

Re:

A short reply to bro Greg is ..........

Church, as expressed in the Word, is a community of believers which are indeed governed by elders with varying giftings. What it is not is four walls on a Sunday morning. Did this community of believers gather? Yes indeed, but one town, one community one church. Too many to gather in one house? Gather in many houses in one town, but one community, one church. Special speaker coming, say the Apostle Paul, all gather in a field because no house could hold the many from the one Church who were one community governed by one body of elders.

Can you give a single example of anywhere in the west where there is one town, one community, one church? No, there are theifdoms and kindoms of men, each little kingdom with their own officials and who are goverened, typically by the theologies of a man or group of men from the past. My home town of Greenock has over 40 different " churches," of every denomination/stripe/color/creed you can imagine, and that is just in a small town of 40,000 people, which, by the way, less that 3% go to "church." Church was never something that you went to in the Scriptures, it was something that you were apart of, the community of believers.............bro Frank

2017/3/26 14:59

Re:

Beekpr,

Our hearts and souls in this matter are in perfect alignment. This is the testimony from saints around the world as the "Christendom," crumbles all around them into a morass of compromise and systematized programming...........bro Frank

2017/3/26 15:02
Eleazar3

Colorado

Re: What is Church

I like this; however, I don't see the Body of Christ as bride (No. 5) in that passage, but instead a wife according to the context.

2017/3/27 9:26Profile
Sree

Re:

Church is a mystery, its meaning has to be revealed. A person who does not meet with local Church does not have its meaning revealed at all. If it was truly revealed to him, then he will not be a lonely person anymore. He will long to be part of a local Church, even if it is humbling enough for a person of his age to sit and learn from someone younger to him!

A person unmarried cannot teach others how to live a married life. Nor does he have any moral qualification to criticize the marriage that he sees in society. Same way a person who is unwilling to be part of a local body of believers has no moral qualification to criticize other churches. It is easy to criticize a system that appears fallen, but what do we do to correct it? Are you meeting with a local body of believers that is a true representation of body of Christ? Are you seeking a committed relationship with other believers in your locality? If the answer is NO then it should self explain the lack of qualification.

Everything posted in this thread is all pattern. A local Church is not characterized by pattern, just like how a pattern does not represent a tabernacle but the presence of God. For example quoting Matt 18:20, to cite that every gathering of 2 or 3 believers is a Church is absolute lie. The verse has to be read in the context. One cannot take just verse 20 as the only condition. What about verse 18, where Jesus mentioned about binding on earth in a committed fellowship of brothers. Not just a lose gathering where no one is willing to be committed to other.

Matt 18:18- Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

If Matt 18:20 is unconditional promise of the presence of Jesus then why was Jesus standing outside the Laodicea Church (Rev 3:14-22)?

This clearly means gathering in Jesus name has lot more conditions than what we think. It is not a generic promise that any 2 believers gathering can proclaim to be true.

Quote:

Yes indeed, but one town, one community one church.
Can you give a single example of anywhere in the west where there is one town, one community, one church?

This is exactly what I call observing the pattern. If a person observes marriages from outside, without any understanding of marriage. He will consider only a grand wedding is a sign of marriage. It is not wedding that defines a marriage. Same way it is not a community that defines a Church. One has to really be married to understand that marriage is more than wedding. Same way one has to be part of a committed local fellowship to understand what a Church is.

I can easily prove via scripture that even in early Church there were divisions. Apostle Paul in fact says that divisions are good.

1 Cor 10:19- For there must also be factions among you, so that those who are approved may become evident among you.

If being factions was fine in early apostles time, then how is it different even now? If there are multiple denominations and if they are unwilling to gather together then it is good. I am myself will not unite my Church with another just because a person whom they call apostle is visiting. Unless I have a confidence in the person visiting, I will not allow my church to gather with another in the locality for any reason. Such things are human unity and wisdom. God never demands them.

Important thing in a Church is the divine binding inside the Church. Every members of a local body should be committed to one another. United in one spirit within a Church.

If a person is not binding in a committed fellowship with other believers in his locality then he has serious risk of being unbound in heaven.

2017/3/27 12:05Profile

Re:

Sree,

Your premise is wrong therefore your comments are off. I was part of a local body for over 20 years, probably a lot longer than you have actually been saved I would imagine. Again, youth versus maturity is always an issue. God bless you brother, my piece was not an invitation for a intellectual debate, it was written for the mature saints who has spent decades in what we call " the local church." So, your own premise, wrong in this case, could be turned around and it is you who observe the community that has left what is called " the local church," from the outside.

On a fellowship note. After having observed and been part of what is called fellowship among men in " local churches," for over two decades, I would almost guarantee that I have more actual fellowship with other saints in my community in one week, than most men in a " local church," would have in a year. Sitting in a pew for one hour a week, or maybe two hours if one goes on a Wednesday night, is not the fellowship of the saints..................bro Frank

2017/3/27 12:36
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I would almost guarantee that I have more actual fellowship with other saints in my community in one week, than most men in a " local church," would have in a year. Sitting in a pew for one hour a week, or maybe two hours if one goes on a Wednesday night, is not the fellowship of the saints.

Frank, with all respect, if all the 20 years of being in local Church, if this is your understanding of local Church fellowship, then you are totally wrong. This is exactly what I have pointed out in my post. A true fellowship in local Church is not characterized by sitting around 1 or 2 hours. You look only at pattern since your eyes are not trained to discern the inner spiritual meaning. No matter how old you boast to be, it is very evident here by your own post. Spiritual discernment comes with closer walk with God not with age.

It is the committed fellowship that characteristics a local fellowship. You might have never observed one, but I have been and being part of such fellowship every single week. Where one is willing to lay down his life for another.

If this commitment is taken out, then it is not a body of believers, no matter how many hours one sits and talks with them!

2017/3/27 12:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy