SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What is the witness of the Spirit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is the witness of the Spirit?

"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God" (Romans 8:16)

"And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, Abba! Father!” (Galatians 4:6)

"By this we know that we abide in him and he in us, because he has given us of his Spirit." (1 John 4:13)

Question:

What exactly is meant by the witness of the Spirit in these verses? Is it an inner impression on the soul, or something else? How does it relate to salvation?

I'd be grateful to hear people's thoughts. While I am also interested in sermons and teaching on this (I have read John Wesley's sermons on it), the main purpose of this post is to get all your thoughts on this. It is a subject I personally wrestle with a lot.

Many thanks in advance.

2016/8/16 13:48
forrests

Re: What is the witness of the Spirit?

I have experienced the witness of the Spirit in a few ways. One is the inner peace of mind and conviction ("assurance of faith") that I had in a number of matters. Another is confirmations through words and signs in matters. And another is the Spirit doing in and through me what the Word says will be the experience of the believer, confirming to me that I am His - one of these is the cry in the heart ("Abba, Father!") to be holy and well pleasing to Him. This is the witness of the Spirit in me. That is not a part of me in myself, but is the result of Christ in me by the Spirit.

I have also experienced the witness of the Spirit through the revelation of Jesus Christ - Divine Light cast on the word, opening my eyes to the truth of God in a new way which testifies of Christ and His Mind in a matter...

Just thought I'd briefly throw those out there. :)

2016/8/16 14:04Profile

Re:

I think the HS witnesses 2 ways to me.
1. The word of God (Bible) is true. All that is written about Jesus is true.

Matthew 16:16-17King James Version (KJV)

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

2. I am a child of God. This is personal, I can not tell if others are born again, but I have assurance about myself.
I can't remember a scripture verse about this personal witness but perhaps someone can point me to one.

2016/8/16 15:24
forrests

Re: Scripture for personal witness of the Spirit.

Sister, I believe one is in the OP - Romans 8:16.

2016/8/16 16:13Profile

Re:

Thanks forrests somehow I overlooked that.

2016/8/16 16:17
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

1 John 4 verses 13  "This is how we know that we remain in Him and He in us: He has given assurance to us from His Spirit.
14  And we have seen and we testify that the Father has sent His Son as the world’s Savior.
15  Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God —God remains in him and he in God. "

The above verses explain it quite well.

The witness is the assurance the Spirit brings when He comes to dwell in us when we have come to faith in the Son of God.

2016/8/16 16:23Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Rev 19:10c
For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

I've found that those who feed on Christ are (by nature) prophetic. Not to say that they occupy the office of a prophet with "thus sayeth the Lord of hosts". Rather they will speak words (which they themselves are often unaware of) that speak to the heart of a matter pertaining to our inner dialogue that they could not have knowledge of, as such we know that it is God (the Spirit) speaking or bearing witness to us through these yeilded vessels.
Also these same individuals are very unlikely to "throw rocks" at unbelievers but are very merciful and of course the fruits of the spirit are manifest in them as needed.

2016/8/16 22:36Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Fletcher, I think you're spot on. Personally speaking, I know I'm connected to God through the Holy Spirit, and I also feel that I'm connected to other believers through this same spiritual connection. I can't count the times I've had someone come up and just start talking to me about Jesus Christ, like they knew I was going to be receptive. The body of Christ is connected through the same spirit, because there is only one, right? I can so relate to what you said about words being spoken, and not knowing we're they come from, happens to me a lot. I know this might sound strange to some, but I still feel I'm connected to the family members that have gone home ahead of me, through the spirit. I haven't lost them were still connected through the spirit, and always will be. Nothing can ever break Gods spiritual connection to believers. I may have gone off subject here a bit, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

2016/8/16 23:06Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1 John 5:10-13 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

The fulfillment of the Word of God;

Colossians 1:25-29 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God; Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

The record of the dispensation of God by the fulfillment of The promise, "Christ in you the Hope of Glory".

WOW!!!

In Christ: Phillip

2016/8/18 18:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Fletcher wrote:

"I've found that those who feed on Christ are (by nature) prophetic. Not to say that they occupy the office of a prophet with "thus sayeth the Lord of hosts". Rather they will speak words (which they themselves are often unaware of) that speak to the heart of a matter pertaining to our inner dialogue that they could not have knowledge of, as such we know that it is God (the Spirit) speaking or bearing witness to us through these yeilded vessels."

This is so true. It is hard to explain exactly but you know it when you see it. I have known a few men and women with this gift. When they speak, and often they don't speak a lot, I am on the edge of my seat.

2016/8/18 19:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy