SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Churchgoers have joined the ranks of cohabitating couples

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Churchgoers have joined the ranks of cohabitating couples

One of the first things Mike Mobley did as a new believer in Christ was move in with his girlfriend. After hearing the gospel at his girlfriend’s church, he left behind his pursuit of an acting career in Hollywood, and the couple moved from California to Tennessee. They found a two-bedroom apartment and planned to sleep in separate rooms and save money for marriage.

Mobley and his girlfriend began visiting congregations. They visited one a couple of times and sought membership. But Mobley stormed out of a meeting with church leaders when they denied the couple’s application without explanation: “I didn’t understand why.”

Mobley’s girlfriend said the reason was that they lived together. Over the course of a year—one that included a seven-page letter from Mobley’s stepmom, many conversations with Christian friends, and a growing discomfort he now says “was the Holy Spirit convicting me”—Mobley ...

read more: http://www.worldmag.com/2016/04/waiting_till_the_wedding

2016/4/12 7:03Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re: Churchgoers have joined the ranks of cohabitating couples

Why do you think this is, Brother? Even in my church, I know of a co-habitating couple. But I have always been at a loss of what to do, since I am not in any kind of position of authority.

2016/4/12 10:01Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

If “living together” means living in the same house, that is perhaps a different issue. Ultimately, there is nothing wrong with a man and a woman living in the same house, if there is nothing immoral taking place. The problem is that there is still the appearance of immorality and it could be a temptation for immorality. The Bible tells us to flee immorality, not expose ourselves to constant temptations to immorality.

Then there is the issue of appearances, a couple who is living together is assumed to be sleeping together, that is just the nature of things. Even though living in the same house is not sinful in and of itself, the appearance of sin is there. The Bible tells us to avoid the appearance of evil, to flee from immorality, and not to cause anyone to stumble or be offended. As a result, it is not honoring to God for a man and a woman to live together outside of marriage.

2016/4/12 10:24Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

I think it is far deeper than that. Let's say a couple decides to live together but not sleep together. What is their motivation for that decision? It certainly isn't Jesus Christ. It certainly isn't to be godly examples to anyone.

The issue is not that it looks bad. They are dishonoring their parents by living together. A girl belongs to her dad and he is responsible for her according to the Scriptures. She has absolutely no business submitting herself to or placing herself under the protection of someone else. Same for the boy.

2016/4/12 12:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Ahemmmmmm.....a couple living alone in a house and not get involved sexually? If anyone would tell me they are not sexually involved I would call them a liar in a heartbeat! So they do not sleep together but have sex otherwise - is this it? Sleeping together and having sex are not the one and same.

I had a client one time who told me she and her boyfriend read the Bible together before they go to bed together ...SIGH

I get uptight when this issue is discussed - it seems to happen to folks who have worked in a crises pregnancy center who were required to do chastity counseling.

Sandra

2016/4/13 11:03Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

If you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas. If you live with a gal that you aren't related to or married to you may not have sexual relations --- she may just not be that into you as they say --- but it is at the very least a snare for the heart. Plus it just makes no sense as a general rule. Not to say few unusual exceptions may exist. They probably do. But the exception can't define the rule and as a rule it is bad news.

2016/4/13 13:03Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

I'm not ashamed to admit, my wife and I lived together for 6 months before we got married,was in right? of course not. At that time we were not living for the Lord, or had not invited Christ into our lives. During our 40 year marriage we both accepted Christ into our lives, and went on to live for Christ, she passed in 2012. I don't regret for a moment what we did, why? because we were forgiven. We loved each other, and I still love her although she's gone home, I think about her all the time. My guess is I don't have any patent of what I did, there is probably a couple more Christians out there that did the same. I might have laid down with the dogs and woke up with the fleas, but God cleansed me of the fleas. I'll say it again, you haven't been beat up until you've been beat up by a Christian.

2016/4/13 13:39Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

The difference now is we have baptist pastors and others saying it is fine to their people or basically never addressing it as a sin or issue. I have heard Jim Cymbala multiple times in his sermons confront this sin and wrong decision of believers. When pastors condone these things it is just another way that fornication and other sins are being allowed to be practiced and they are saying in reality it is not sinful, we are all sinners, etc. God help pastors and leaders in the body of Christ teach the Scriptures in love and mercy and take a stand for righteousness.

2016/4/13 13:45Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Brother Greg I understand, but the sensitivity level we sometimes see here for folks and what they did before inviting Christ into their lives, is sometimes off the charts. Yes! you're right, we are all sinners, but if we have invited Christ into our lives, no one should be keeping score now, right? You know when I was a child I was raised up in the baptist churches, and the pastors preach on fornication and adultery many times, but I made a bad decision, but as long as God forgave me, it really don't matter what the world thinks, unless they hold the keys to Hell and Heaven.

2016/4/13 13:59Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Churchgoers have joined the ranks of cohabitating couples

I lived with my husband (as husband and wife) for about 8 months before I married him because... well, never mind because, it's just an excuse. I visit churches with my grandma and one Sunday we went to "one" church and the woman preacher preached on Christians living in sin, all types of sin, it crushed my heart and we were married within two weeks!! :)

God bless,
Lisa

2016/4/13 19:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy