SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Please, no more Catholic bashing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
modivarch

Re:

Quote:
You have Billy Graham, Benny Hinn, and Pat Robertson singing the pope's praises calling him a man of God. You can't be pope and be a man of God. You can't preside over blatantly damning heresy

Thats a pretty bold claim man. I'm sure one of your problems with the pope is the fact that catholics think he is God's man main hear on earth, but it seems to me with a claim like that you are now putting yourself in that spot. Lets leave the convicting up to God and do what we are supposed to do in sharing the Gospel.
Let me put it this way. Maybe I have a homosexual non-christian friend. Do I
a) say to him, "hey your gay and because your gay you are going to hell."
or b) share Christ with him and pray for him and let God be the convictor of his sins. My wife's whole family is catholic. I'll be the first to say that alot of these people have a misunderstanding of salvation. But they are good people who have a hunger for God. How about a little love and truth about Christ instead of condemnation?

2005/4/24 12:33Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Maybe I have a homosexual non-christian friend. Do I a) say to him, "hey your gay and because your gay you are going to hell."
or b) share Christ with him and pray for him and let God be the convictor of his sins.

I do understand your example, but it's really not that good of an example, your friend may be effecting only a few lives that are close to him and they are willing to be in his life, Pastors
and people like Benny Hinn, Billy Graham and the Pope what they say and do are effecting millions.

2005/4/24 12:44Profile
modivarch

Re:

There are two seperate points. One being how do we evangelize to people who need to hear the Gospel and two are we in a position to convict other people and state whether they are godly men or not? That 'friend' example was to emphasize the first point. My second point I had no support other than it is biblically unfounded.

2005/4/24 13:26Profile
Heavenlyman

Australia

Re:

[size=xx-small]Quote:[/size]

[size=xx-small]Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, "But Lord, what about this man?" 22 Jesus said to him, "If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me."[/size]

Exactly :-D Amen Chanin.
It's the word of God who convict through the Holy Spirit, let the Holy Spirit do His job and we do our own work as children of the Living God.

2005/4/24 19:13Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I have a few friends who are catholics my housemate and he has checked out this site? He listened to billy graham and liked it? Hopefully I will get him on stronger stuff.
Dont talk about this subject in Ireland you may get shot.

2005/4/24 22:19Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

deltadom wrote:Dont talk about this subject in Ireland you may get shot.

Many have probably been shot all over the world for telling the "TRUTH" :-P

2005/4/24 22:25Profile
solabible

Re:

Quote:
Many have probably been shot all over the world for telling the "TRUTH"

Rev 17:6 And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus...

2005/4/25 8:56Profile
solabible

Re: CJaKfOrEsT

Brother (or sister) Received Text...

Luk 6:22 Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake.

2005/4/25 9:02Profile
Paulus

Celbridge Kildare Ireland

Re: Ireland and shooting

Deltadom

You can talk about any subject in Ireland in fact there are more catholics questioing the whole pope thing than you could imagine.

Now talking about it in an English accent? (joke)

Paul

2005/4/25 9:17Profile

Re: From an Ex-catholic

I was born into a catholic family. I went to catholic school. All I knew was catholic. I despised others who would attack my religion. Furthermore, I was always taught that the catholic church was the only one true church of Jesus Christ. I believed in all the things that evangelicals believed in, ....and more. But I never heard that I needed to be born again.

In line with this thread, I want to share what set me free, if I may.

I went in the Air Force the day after high school, in part to escape the "church". But it was not because of bashers. I was empty inside. I needed something I had not yet found. After my service time I got married and compounded my problems and my emptiness. I could not sin enough to keep up with my carnal appetites, and I took my frustrations out on people who loved me.

I was invited to a retreat by a friend. I refused. But it became as a burr underneath my saddle blanket. Somehow I felt this "force" leading me to go. I finally ageed, but with conditions.

I went before God, you know, the guy with the lightening bolts in His hand that only punished. I said, "God, I'll go, but only on one condition. I want you to reveal yourself to me. If you don't, I'll never darken the door of a church again."

We were in a chapel service on Saturday night of the retreat. All of a sudden in the middle of the sermon, the power and glory of God showed up in my soul. Every thing that was evil and empty floated up out of me. Nobody else was affected. It had nothing to do with the sermon. It was God and I knew it. I began to weep profusely and worship. I never knew such worship before. I ran outside into the parking lot and the sky was filled with a zillion stars. They were all worshipping my God.

I was so changed, that on the following Monday morning, when a friend stopped to pick me up for work, before I could climb in his truck, he had an amazed look on his face and asked, "what in the world has happened to you"? How can you explain it? I suppose I did the best I could. Everybody could see it all over me. I was a new creation. The sad part is all I knew to do was to try and be a better catholic.

Within 6-8 months, I was pretty much back like before, except that I knew I was different. A couple years later, I met some charasmatic catholics who invited me to a prayer meeting. I had never heard of such, so I went. I noticed that practically everyone there was carrying a bible. I asked them why. "Soul food", they replied. Ohhhh. So I bought myself a bible and started to read it for myself.

I read myself out of the catholic church. I finally came to a point where I could no longer harmonize the Word of God with the tradition of the church and I chose the Word of God and dropped the other.

So you see, it was not "bashers" or well meaning evangelicals that set me free. It was the Word of God. If we but speak the truth in Love, that is the truth of what the bible teaches, then the Holy Spirit has good seed for a harvest. But if the seed is sewn with sharp stones, it probably won't survive.

We live in an "instant" society. We want bragging rights on instant conversions. God wants us to build relationships based on His love working through us. Love is patient, love is kind. But wait, it's more than that. It's really charity. Charity implies a benevolent activity with the "love". It means that we must give of ourselves to the others in love. Love will reach deeper into a heart than cold hard facts and statistics. We may be correct in our so called "facts", but the right way is charity. Why? Because it's God's way.

2005/4/25 10:18

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy