SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Home Schooling

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Home Schooling

Anyone care to share their thoughts on Home Schooling vs. Public Schooling?

Krispy

2005/3/29 9:04
dann

Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Re: Home Schooling

My wife, having worked six years in the public school system, was easily persuaded to homeschool our children.

The Jesuit's have a saying, "Give us a child until he is eight years old, and we will have him for life!" - that is, they understand that the most effective time to indoctrinate a person with one's own moral system is during the early years of that person's life.

The public school system (well, television helps too)is simply the most efficient way to indoctrinate a child into the "world" system.

In the first four or five years of any child's life the child learns social behavior, language, reasoning etc. Some estimate that half of what we know was learned in the first and formative years of our life. Children learn by example, by situational necessity, by experiment etc. - all of which comes quite naturally at home.

Then we take them out of that carefree learning environment where they have already learned so very much more than they will ever learn in school, and we force them to sit against their nature in straight rows, face the front, and 'learn'?? Perhaps I am just a romantic, but this seems quite ironic to me.

Anyway, my wife and I determined to homeschool our children in their formative years - at least till after puberty.

We determined this - that education and intelligence do not make a person happy in life - as these qualities can be fostered, nutured, and grown in a classroom - but these qualities only make a person more likely to have a higher paying job. Our priority was not that our children have high paying jobs, but that they learn contentment, that they should grow to be happy in whatever they end up doing - that we would determine our success as parents and homeschoolers, not on whether our child was the most educated person, but on whether they were happy, and living entirely to God's glory.

To that end, we were not as concerned about scholasitcs as character. Never the less, our children are exceeding far beyond anyone their own age in the public school system. Nothing like one-on-one all day with the first and primary teacher (mom).

Some further, unseen benefits of homeschooling that we have noticed, have been that our children are great friends with one another, and they have unfeigned respect for adults - whom they communicate with as people and not as "the enemy."

We have been blessed by the Lord in that we are able to homeschool. My wife thought there was no way she could ever do it, and there was much fear and trepidation when we started, but now it is easy, and the benefits are so profound that we would never have changed a thing for the world.

I sympathize with those who would like to homeschool but cannot because of financial, or personal considerations. Sometimes when a person gives a positive endorsement of homeschooling, it triggers a very negative reaction in others, who view the positive endorsement as a personal criticism against their own choices or situations. I add therefore this caveat - the Lord called my wife and I to this, and we have been blessed because He did. It is not an indictment against anyone who doesn't want to homeschool, it is not a boast as though I thought I were somehow a better parent because I am a homeschooler - nothing at all like that. The Lord gave us this opportunity and we took it. What was possible for me may not be possible for others, and I don't want to give the impression that I think it is.

Hope that helps

Dan
/\/
\/\

2005/3/29 11:42Profile

Re:

Dann... I have nothing to add to that. You wrote my testimony! Thats plagerism, isnt it? :-P

Especially that last paragraph. I agree completely. I know people who are homeschooling and they really are doing their kids a disservice. Probably because they were not called of God to do it. Christian school would be a better alternative.

Conversly, I know many Christians who dont believe it's possible for them to do it, when it really is... they just have their priorities a little out of whack.

But that was a very gracious response, and right on target. I hope the thread stays this way.

We have 4 boys... and except for the Bible, Dr. Dobson's book "Brining Up Boys" is the most read book by my wife and I. He has some great things to say about the drugging up of boys (by diagnosing them "ADHD", and fixing it with drugs) to make them fit into an educational environment that is suited toward girls. Girls are more capable of sitting and paying attention than boys are at a young age. It's a good book, and I recommend it to anyone who has sons.

I coach youth football (American football... not that sissy soccer stuff! LOL), and I cant tell you how many of my guys are on prescriptions for ADHD. I had one kid come on the team last year, and he was always gazing off. I yelled at him one night and he started crying. I pulled him off the field and asked what his problem was... he said "I'm ADHD." I said "That's just an excuse... I'll help you get over it." 30 push-ups and 30 up-downs later... he was paying real good attention, and I only had to get on him one other time.

Krispy

2005/3/29 11:58
Angyl

[i]*sigh*[/i]

we've all been there...posting a long, juicy reply to a thread and it gets deleted for some reason....

well, suffice it to say I agree with you both 100%

'specially Krispy's point about all the boys being diagnosed ADHD because they don't fit into the new-age public school system and frankly, because of the laziness of teachers, parents, and doctors.

2005/3/29 12:24Profile

Re:

Quote:
we've all been there...posting a long, juicy reply to a thread and it gets deleted for some reason....

ugh... I hate that when it happens.

Krispy

2005/3/29 13:39
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:

It is God testing our patience :-)

2005/3/29 13:44Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Well, we did the public school and for the most part it was an incredibly blessed experience. My daughter who is high functioning autistic received beyond what we could have expected----occupational therapy, speech therapy, etc. We did not have to ask the school for one thing when we moved to our current home. They told us what she needed and gave it to us. What a difference from our Florida public school experience. Another awesome thing is that our current PS is FILLED with Christians and boy can you tell. We totally believe the Lord's Hand was in our move here and that PS was a blessing for us. That was in 1999.

Now my kids(twins) are ready to graduate from elementary school and we have made the decision to homeschool. We are very excited about doing this. Why did we make the decision since our school system seems so good? Well, the middle school years are absolutely HORRENDOUS. Hormones raging, clicks, peer pressure, choice language and behaviors, etc...........only a few of the reasons we feel we need to homeschool to benefit our children. My son (a true ADHD boy, non medicated) is quite a comic........and a follower, unfortunately. My daughter is sweet natured (for the most part), social and would do whatever someone told her to(bad things). Wonderful....my kids just walked in the door from school as I was typing this and my son told me a boy on the bus was teaching my daughter the "F" word, which of course she repeated over and over to this boy's delight.........sigh.........

For us, homeschool is a protective measure for our kids, not to mention a great way to bond even closer to each other. In any case, until we are sure they are able to handle the "world" in a positive manner, we could not in good conscience send our kids out in it, knowing their weaknesses. Thankfully, we are in the position to be able to homeschool.

So, in my opinion, PS can be wonderful or it can be terrible, depending on where you live (I live in a very "Christian" conservative area, so the PS is actually quite good and not real "worldly"). Just my thoughts. Blessings, Cindy :-)

2005/3/29 16:36Profile
iHilam

Florida

We home schooled my daughter from 2nd grade through high school and she is now getting ready to attend college. I think if you have the time and resources to do it, it's great. Would I do it all over again? Yes. Would my daughter do it again? Yes.

2005/3/29 18:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:

For all of you that have lost a post when pressing the submit button I know how you feel. This can happen so I would definetly take the following steps to ensure posts don't get lost! --> Copy and Save! before you press submit.. here is a topic that goes through this precautionary method in detail that brother Mike put up: [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=349&forum=21&2]Help for fellow "Posters" Don't lose your work![/url]

2005/3/29 20:20Profile

Re:

Quote:
My son (a true ADHD boy, non medicated) is quite a comic........

My comments concerning ADHD will probably lead some to think that I dont believe ADHD really exists. This is not the case. We have friends who do foster care, and they recently adopted a young black boy who's mother used crack and other drugs while she was pregnant. He truly is ADHD and needs medication.

On a whole tho, I believe a vast majority of ADHD cases is nothing more than the parents and/or teachers not wanting to deal with an active kid. I believe a lack of discipline is also part of.

I like what Cindy said concerning homeschooling being a means of protecting the child from the world. Some Christians scoff at this, but I believe it is very important. If you're building a boat, do you build it on the water? No, you build it on land and make sure it is waterproof before you send it out to sea. The same is true for children. 5 year old kids are not mature enough to be missionaries. Especially when they are surrounded by the world, and worldy thought and education, 7 hours a day.

Most homeschoolers homeschool straight thru high school. We will... but not necessarily because we want to keep our children from the world. We honestly believe we can give our kids a better education, and that has been proven out by many many studies of homeschoolers compared to puublic school kids.

I think it depends on the individual child as to whether they are mature enough to enter public high school and maintain their faith and be witness for Christ.

Lest anyone think that homeschoolers are afraid of the world... most are not. But we do hold to what the very first chapter of Psalms says:

Psalms 1: [b][i]Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away. Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous. For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.[/i][/b]

Also...

Proverb 13:20 [b][i]He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.[/i][/b]

And...

Psalms 132:12 [b][i]If thy children will keep my covenant and my testimony that I shall teach them, their children shall also sit upon thy throne for evermore.[/i][/b]

Amen and amen...

Krispy

2005/3/30 8:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy