SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts :  Gems from John

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

I like that quote by Richard Wurmbrand, Diane. And conversely, what Satan offers is illusion. Like JIG said, he twisted just one thing the Lord told Adam and Eve. He corrupted the communication and truth from God that went forth to Adam. Adam knew nothing about the corruption or perversion of Reality. It was not God's plan for Adam to fall. It was and always is God's plan for us to grow in Him and learn through obedience and not to learn by experiencing sin.

I have spoken to people that said God set Adam and Eve up for a fall. But God does not tempt any man and can never be accused of being complicit in sin. Satan was no accident, either and did not catch God by surprise. Yes, even Satan fulfills purposes of God.........for now.

I posted in Greg's testimony thread about the Pharisees that they "shut up the kingdom of heaven". And I asked a question: How do they shut up the Kingdom of Heaven? And they neither go in themselves.

The clue is the law of first mention. Where is the first time in the Bible that the kingdom of heaven was shut up? The Serpent shut it up. By lying about the character of God. He attacks the truth about God, because he wants us to turn away from God and towards him. He wants us to abide in him instead of abiding in God. There is no other way to turn when you turn away from God. The only other alternative is the Devil.

In essence, Satan the father of lies (lies about God), works through people like the Pharisees to shut up the kingdom of heaven. He transmits his lies through people. They shut it up, by keeping people from the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Because it is the knowledge of God that is the key which the door. Jesus Christ then, is the knowledge of God come to earth.

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

In Jeremiah 9, 24, Matthew 7 and Matthew 25 we have further light regarding God's heart and what kind of knowledge to seek and I submit this is the knowledge that Satan hates for people to have. This is the knowledge that he seeks to twist, pervert and corrupt because this is the knowledge that destroys his work.

Jer 9:23 Thus saith the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches:
Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, THAT HE UNDERSTANDETH AND KNOWETH ME, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Jer 24:7 And I will give them AN HEART TO KNOW ME, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.

Matt 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I NEVER KNEW YOU: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Mat 25:12 But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I KNOW YOU NOT.

So, we see the knowledge that is both the key and the door to eternal life is the knowledge of the HOLY, the knowledge of God in Christ Jesus. All other knowledge will pass away. This is how Satan uses men to shut up the kingdom of God to themselves and others, by corrupting, twisting and perverting the knowledge of God in Christ Jesus.

John is a wonderful Gospel because it reveals much about Jesus Christ to us and how to abide in Him.

As we get to know the "Real Thing", it will be easier to spot the counterfeit.

Pilgrim

2012/2/19 21:00Profile

Re: Of Love and Friendship

John 15:13

Greater love has no one than this, that be lay down his life for his friends.

I once saw a calendar with a picture of a military cemetary on the front. The lawns and the flowers were arranged and landscaprd beautifully. The graves of those who had fallen in combat were there to remind us those who had who had paid the ultimate sacrifice. And the above verse was quoted at the bottom of the picture......

Beautiful but this is not what Jesus meant. He is speaking if his sacrificial love that would take him to this cross. He is speaking of a pure, agape love that would require him to give his life in our place to die for our sins.

Often when the theology of the cross is articulated the focus, and rightly so, is on justification. It is easy to get lost in the forensic aspect of the cross. If we look at this merely from a legal transaction we lose sight of the heart of God. For the heart of God is love from a heart that desires to redeem a humanity lost in sin. This is the motive behind the cross. God's love to not only redeem us, but to bring us into a loving friendship with him.

This is an aspect of the cross, the work of redemption, one does not hear often. To think that God desire us, who once were his enemies, to be intimate friends with him. Yet in the verses of John 15:13-15 this is what is implied. God delights in us and desires our friendship.

Such a reality is not only reserved for saints such as Abraham but for the New Testament child of God. For those who have come to saving faith in Jesus. Friend savor that reality. Let the precious truth resonate in your inmost being. God truly delights in us and desires our most intimate friendship with him.

Precious Lamb. Thank you for your deep and intimate love that brings us into friendship with you. In your blessed Name. Amen.

Posted for your edification.and blessing.

Blaine Scogin
2/20/12

2012/2/20 8:03
pilgrim777

The Book of John is the "I AM" Book.

Hi Blaine,

I like this from Sylvia Pearce's book, "Treasures of Darkness". She says the book of John is the "I am" book.

"Jesus never said that He would give us a little piece of himself called “the way, the truth, and the life.” He didn't say he would give us a little bit of bread and it would be life to us. He didn't say that he would give us resurrection, or life, or living water, and these would help is have more of God. No, what he did strongly and emphatically declare was this: “I am the Word, I am the Light of the world, I am the Living Water, I am the Bread of Life, I am the Resurrection and the Life, I am the Way, I am the Truth, and I am Eternal Life.” God's name always has been “I AM,” not, “I have it to give.” We do not have a distant God, dishing out to us humans, little bits of himself to live on. No, He has given us the fullness of Himself.

Eternal Life is a Person
“He that hath the Son hath (Eternal) Life;” (I John 5:12)

The mystery of the gospel is, “Christ in you, our only hope of glory” (Colossians 1:27). He is the deity in the temple, He is the contents of the vessel, He is the vine of the branch, He is the husband of the wife, and He is the head of the body. He firmly announced to all His creation, “My glory will I not give to another”(Isaiah 42:8). Therefore, salvation is a Person, Love is a Person, the Truth is a Person, Peace is a Person, Righteousness is a Person, and Eternal Life is not just a place we go after death, but it is a Person! His plan from the beginning was to create a family of sons who would freely contain and express His deity nature throughout eternity.

We often forget that we are not the contents of the cup, and we drive ourselves to utter frustration when we try to be the contents.

It takes a great blow to our egos to really know that we are only the clay pots and not the glory of the contents. Christ is the content, it is He that fills the temple. Yet we have been falsely taught that we are the one who should fulfill the law and try to fill our temples with good works. The essence of all idolatry is trying to be what only God is. This too is the essence of legalism. Trying to be good leaves our hearts empty and still crying out for more. For it is Christ who can fulfill the law in us, and it is He that wants the glory. We are His dwelling place, not our own dwelling place.

Could this be why Christians are so miserable? We, of all people, who know that our sins are forgiven and our future destination is heaven, should live in the joy of the Lord most of the time. But do we? I dare say that if we are honest, most of us experience the very opposite. I believe that most of us live condemned and frustrated lives, trying to cope with what we have and wonder why faith doesn't work. That is why so many Christians are crying out to Jesus, “Come quickly Lord Jesus,” as they wait to be relieved from their misery by the second coming of Christ.
Our salvation and entrance into the kingdom of God is wonderful, but it's not good enough to just know that our sins are forgiven. What about now? What about the present tense? Why do we love the Jesus who saves us, but hate the human person that He saved? Did He do only half the work? Maybe we are getting closer to our answer by looking at just that. We think that we are responsible for finishing or perfecting the other half of what doesn't seem complete, namely us. What a job!

We are taught to pray more, read our Bibles more, come to Church more, tithe more, and strive to become more like Jesus. Then there is the problem of the world: we should keep ourselves from worldly thoughts and not overindulge in worldly pleasures such as eating, drinking, smoking, and carousing. Then there are our personal shortcomings: tempers, jealousies, pride, and secret sins. The list goes on forever. But most of all we must look good to the world and keep our reputations and God's reputation respectable because we must be good witnesses. I say it again, “What a job!”

Why doesn't Christianity work? I'm not happy and I'm not satisfied--God is satisfied because He sees his son in me, but I'm not satisfied. I look most of the time like Paul in Romans Seven--“the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not that I do. For the will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.”

Since the problem is exposed in Romans seven, then the whole solution, which is the missing link in Christianity, is hidden there as well. The real problem and hidden sin of the Christian is self-effort. “I ought to. I should do better by self-effort.” It is very subtle, though, for it seems right and good, yet in truth it is the very heart of our problem. The law continually stirs up self-effort because we believe we can and should do it. We are not believing in God, but in ourselves. Colossians 1:27 says, "To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.” The mystery of the Gospel is “Christ in you,” yet we believe more in our own performance than Christ in us. That is why the third person of the Trinity (the Holy Spirit) is the least known to most Christians. We are provided with the life of Christ by the Holy Spirit, yet we strive in our own efforts to be that life.

Paul strongly warned the Galatians against legalism in their church. They began their Christian walk by faith alone, but soon after, added all kinds of laws to live by. Therefore, Paul cried out, “O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth. This only would I learn of you; Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or the hearing of faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now made perfect by the flesh”(Galatians 3:1-3)? Paul’s strong warning “Who has bewitched you,” implies that the devil is at work. It is devilish to try to become what only God himself is.

Let us understand though, that the law isn't wrong in itself, for it is God’s perfect picture of His holy nature. Our problem is not God’s picture of himself, the problem is how to be like that picture. We can never be like God by self-effort, yet God wants us to come to the end of believing that “WE” can do it. The only way that we can come to the end is for us to go right on trying. But don't try half way. Try with all your heart. Try until you’re bloody from trying.

Most Christians settle somewhere in-between; a little bit of Jesus, a little bit of me, a little bit of the law, a little bit of righteousness, a little bit of the devil, a little bit of sin, “Ho hum! God doesn't expect me to be perfect anyway.” On the contrary, Jesus demands perfection, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect” (Matt. 5:48). Jesus says it has to be all or nothing. It is better to try until we can’t try anymore, than to settle somewhere in the middle ground.

That is why Jesus said to the Laodiceian church in the book of Revelation, that because they were lukewarm and neither cold nor hot, He would spew them out of his mouth (Rev. 3:15-16). God wants self-effort to become exceedingly sinful. God wants you to be real desperate, so desperate that you can't try anymore. Then you are more than happy for righteousness not to depend on you. It is a desperate, but thankful heart, that knows that righteousness and eternal Life are both a person, and that person is Christ, who lives in us."

Pilgrim

2012/2/20 10:13Profile

Re: The Book of John is the "I AM" Book.

My Brother Pilgrim,

Such rich, penetrating thoughts come from your post. I delight to read them because you bring to the table the heart and mind of Christ. You seen to express the very heart of John's gospel.

Indeed we are so foolish to think we can live the life that Jesus has already promised. Jesus said apart from me you can fo nothing. This in the context of the vine and branches. Until we realize that the secret is to rest, abide, remain, dwell in his life, we will be miserable.

In an earlier post I shared that the work of God is to believe in the one he has sent. All to often we are like the Jews of of John 6. Asking what must I do to do the works that God requires? We treatt the walk of faith as a performance task. How much time should I spend in the word? How long should I pray? what can I do to be more holy? And so forth. For sure we guarantee ourselves a Roman 7 experience. Also the questions focus on I or me. Not on Jesus.

If we would but meditate on Gal.2:20. If we would but crucify ourselves so that by faith he may live in us. As Paul says we always carry around in our bodies the death of Jesus so that the life of Christ will be revealed in our mortal bodies.

Brother for sure Jesus is the I AM of our lives. For sure Jesus is our All. Paul reminds us that in Jesus are hidden all of the TREASURES of wisdom and knowledge. May we be as David and behold his beauty. May our hearts be captivated by his marvelous attributes.

I know some believe the decalogue is the complete embodiment of God's perfection. But I dare say that Jesus supetcedes even the law. For Jesus, as God's Son, embodies the fulness of everything that is in the godhead.

Why, oh why, after an encounter with the living Word, would one want to go back to their own self-righteousness? For he is our righteousness, holiness, and redemption. It is because of him we are in Christ Jesus. For in him all of the fullness of Derty lives.

Oh, let us be captivated by Jesus. Let us behold his beauty. Oh that his presence will live in us. For surely in his presence is fulness of Joy.

Blaine Scogin

2012/2/20 12:09
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Oh, Hallelujah! What an awesome thread!

It seems like the Holy Spirit is drawing many to the Gospel of John. I just received 20 beautiful Gospels of John to hand out as the Holy Spirit leads. Yesterday I got to share the Gospel with 4 people and watch the Holy Spirit hold them still and work in their lives while I shared it. I know seeds were planted and watered. All glory to God. He will give the increase. Some points were just made clearer to them.

When I first heard the Gospel I responded. Never heard of being born again. But that was the day of Salvation for me. The Holy Spirit revealed Jesus to me. It was a Saul - Paul conversion. Then we were out on the Streets after worshiping & praying lifting up Jesus and handing out the "Gospel of John's". All glory to God.

It is the Gospel that shows who Jesus is. Most powerful. God's plan of Salvation.

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, "this is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent."

Seems like the Holy Spirit is stirring us up again to do the same. Lift up Jesus and hand out the Gospel of John's.

http://www.ptl.org/

This is where I ordered mine from. They have been around over 100 years and they are all about the Gospel of John's and sharing it. They have little lessons too on how to share. So helpful.

May Jesus continue to be lifted up that all men would be drawn unto Himself. May we get filled up with Him so we have Him to give out. Glory to His Name. It's all about Jesus & souls being saved, delivered & filled with the Holy Spirit.

Praise God He is being lifted up in this thread.

2012/2/20 14:45Profile

Re: Joyful_Heart

Such a wonderful testimony, sister. May God bring much blessing to your family through John's wonderful gospel.

Blaine

2012/2/20 17:58

Re: Blessings of God's Friendship

John 15:15

I know no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead I have called you friends, for everything that I have learned from my Father I have made known to you.

It us easy to accept the fact we are servants, even bondslaves of God. But hear Jesus has taken us one step closer in intimacy by calling us friends. As such he says friends have no secrets from one another. For he tells his disciples everything he has learned from the Father he has made known to us. Nothing is hidden from us. He waits to reveal his treasures to us if we woukd but spend time with him.

Therein lies the secret. To learn what he has revealed to us we must spend time with Jesus. This must be a time of intimacy with him. This must be time in the secret place. Jesus speaks of the one who seeks the Father in the inner room and the Father who sees in secret rewards that precious saint. The reward is probably the presence of God himself. And no doubt those secrets whispered to the seeking heart of the child of God.

The scriptures say that God reveals his secrets to his servants the prophets. But now John is saying that God's secrets are revealed to his friends. We are his friends by his redemptive work on the cross. But to find out about a friend you must spend time with that person. A relationship must be cultivated. For our friendship with God to grow we must spend time with him.

May we grow in our friendship with Jesus.

For your edification and blessing.

Bkaine Scogin
2/20/12

2012/2/20 18:30

Re: Growing in Friendshio

John 1:39

So they went and saw where he was staying and spent the day with him.

The whole gosoel of John resonates with relationship. It is primarily intimate relationship of God with his people. It is a relationship of love.

As I was listening to John this morning the above verse resonated in my spirit. And they spent the day with him. John and Andrew, two of Jesus first disciples, saw him. John the baptist declared that he was the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. Something in Jesus attracted John and Andrew that they left John the baptist and followed Jesus. The scrptures say that they spent the day with Jesus.

Saint how does this resonate with us? What does this simple sentence say to us? I have shared in my two previous post God desires friendship with us. He us calling us into greater intimacy with him than even those Old Testament saints did not possess. For sure Abraham, Moses, and David had intimacy with God. But as a hole the Old Testament saints were in the shadow of the law in relating to God. But now because of the work of Christ on the cross we have been brought into greater intimacy with God.

The invitation and access have been granted to us. We need but accept it and act on it. God places no limits how close we get to him. The only limits are what we place on ourselves. Jesus said he would not drive away those who would come to him. We only drive ourselves away, often to shallow distractions.

To know somebofy in friendship you must spend time with that person. Jesus is personal as he lives in us by his Spirit. How much more intimate, real, can that be. Forum can you not grasp the reality that Jesus lives in you. This is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

I know some will object and rather vehemently to my saying that we are not bound to a book but to a Person. Unless the Author gives life to the words in the book then the book, the Bible is only a rule book. There are some who would take even the New Testament and make it a new rule book.

Many of our persecuted brethren in prison are denied access to the written scriptures. Yet their faith is sustained through the living presence of Christ himself. Youcef Nadarkhani, our Iranian brother, who may be executed for his faith in Christ, has not had access to a Bible in over 2 years. Yet his faith remains strong through the presence of Jesus, the living Wotd and the prayers of the saints. Many of us marvel at the faith of Richard Wormbrandt. It was said the inky thing he coukd remember of his Bible was the name of Jesus. This was while be was in prison.

Saints Jesus is real. Again Jesus is real. He is to be experiened in friendship. And that through spending time with him. Let me ask you who are married. Is your spouse some type of a concept or idea or philosophy or bound in a book. I honestly hope not. If you think such then you are in trouble. I pray you experience your spouse in warm, intimate friendship. Spending time with them.

I pray we all grow in loving, intimate relationship with Jesus. I pray we be as John anf James and spend the day with him.

For your edification.

Blaine Scogin
Posted 2/21/12

2012/2/21 9:07

Re:

Definitely agree, Blaine, about "knowing" Him and that the "knowing" should be progressive revelation about Him but how would any of us know Who He is and what HE said and did 'without' The WORD that you're posting about on this thread?

If the New Testament was never written, what would we know about Him and what He said and did and what will come in the future?

It's not just a "rule book" - it an Auto-Biography and Love Letter from our Husband, Father, Friend.

The WORD is Spirit, Jesus said and doesn't merely go into 'the mind' to be remembered - Thank GOD - it goes into our spirit like money in the Bank and it gives "Life" to the spirit that testifies of Him.

If we're "married" we Should want to know as much about what our spouse as humanly possible - and with Christ, His Word brings about what is Not "humanly possible".

We need both, just as much as we need both legs in order to walk. We need to know what His Words are to us and we need to have that intimate and growing one-on-one, give-and-take, listen-and-speak, Living and Loving Relationship with Him.

His Love Letters that He's left for us, mean an awful lot to most of us - because they are 'Life' and not just ink on a page. It's when His Word is read with 'just' someone's mind and not by the spirit, that it gets watered down, twisted and loses it's 'Life'.

Thanking GOD for John's 2 books and his 3 letters. Very much so!!

2012/2/21 10:52
pilgrim777

Re:

Big Amen to that, sista!

2012/2/21 12:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy