SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why the English Standard Version ?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
That-guy0010

Re:

From my experience, the KJV, for me, is easier for me to understand than a translation that uses today's version of English, but for those who can't understand, or find it difficult to read the KJV, I encourage you to read a translation that makes sense to you. This is just my line of thinking.

2011/4/15 12:44Profile

Re: Why the English Standard Version ?

Edited because I didn't realise I'd deleted the beginning of my post during a correction. end edit.

The ESV does indeed read well, but I think I gain more from a forensic examination of the language in the KJV, than from a modern version where meanings have been narrowed down too far, over-simplified or graded for a new believer.

Gal 1:16 is a (good) test verse for ALL translations, and it should be clear why, to anyone who has been apprehended by Paul's gospel, who therefore understands that Christ dwells IN us, revealing Himself THROUGH us to the world. If Christ remained always outside us, then 'to' would be appropriate.

RSV Galatians 1:16 was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not confer with flesh and blood,

ASV Galatians 1:16 to reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the Gentiles; straightway I conferred not with flesh and blood:

Greg said

Quote:
We have much more clear a picture of the whole of the bible now with manuscripts and see all the manuscripts that 98% all agree.

With respect due to you Greg, while it is true we have more manuscripts, where sound doctrine is significantly altered by the fraction of those 2% differences which matter, they make all the 'difference' to a Church against which hell will not prevail, and a church which falls far short of Christ's intentions for her.

I was shocked to find 'doctrine' mentioned forty eight (48) times in the New Testament (KJV). Paul shed his blood many times for doctrine. Doctrine REALLY MATTERS.

2011/4/15 13:29
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

The sad thing with this discussion is that the ones causing division are the KJV only advocates. The rest of us are not calling you a heretic for using the KJV. If you want to use it fine, but dont condemn others for preferring another translation. Can't you respectfully agree to disagree.

sigh

2011/4/15 13:44Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Quote:
Can't you respectfully agree to disagree.

Should I agree to seeing other believer's led down a dangerous path? NO! It is my duty to warn them of the danger?

If it is the KJV readers who are the division why is it they were here first? (I am not discounting there were other translations before and around the 1611 printing, just that the KJV is the Bible of the common man.) I believe the authors of these newer translations brought on the divisions when they changed God's word.

white stone

2011/4/15 13:51Profile

Re: Why the English Standard Version ?

Quote:
Can't you respectfully agree to disagree.

Disagreement is the essential ingredient of all tolerance. It's usually okay to express that. I haven't noticed any disrespect so far. Division is unavoidable.

2011/4/15 13:53
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Disagreement is the essential ingredient of all tolerance. It's usually okay to express that. I haven't noticed any disrespect so far. Division is unavoidable.

Alive-to-God, maybe I should clarify. If you prefer to use the KJV and do not see it necessary to divide over it, I apologize for my blanket statement. That said, there are some who feel so strongly about it that they disrespect others by stating they have an incomplete or demonized version of the Bible. How can we fellowship if you are going to say that the version of Scripture I use is influenced by satan? Aren't statements like that a cause for division?

2011/4/15 13:59Profile

Re:

Oracio,

Come on man. Many hold beliefs that are influenced by Satan and we still fellowship. For the record, I fellowship with people that use Modern Bible Versions.

Oracio,

Do you think Satan who counterfeits everything from God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus, would attempt to counterfeit God's WORD. Simple question. Yes or No?

A777

2011/4/15 14:06

i agree

Greg, you wrote:

Quote:
I am not condemning anyone that is using the KJV, it is a great translation but I feel for many people especially younger who want to reach this generation for Christ the ESV is a great way to go.

i read the ESV as my main Bible. my mentor, pastor T, was using the NIV, when i first apprehended Messiah, so i bought a copy of the NIV Study Bible, (as well as a KJV, NKJV, NASB, etc) then he started using an ESV.

in no way, did he "force" anyone to make the switch, i did, because i trust his discernment, and my trust was not in vain.

Much Fruit i've reaped from daily devotional Bible study.....and i dont know about you, but i do write in my Bible....notes, revelations, etc....so its a bit beat up.

2011/4/15 14:43
Wordizlife

Re: i agree

I myself started with the NIV @ age 17. I believed in Jesus @ 19 and began devouring the bible in the NIV format and proceeded to memorize certain passages.

Eventually I tried to read a KJV format around the same time (age 19) and i'll just say it was not the same as reading the NIV. I had to look up certain words and get used to the way sentences we're arranged in the older style. Also the KJV I was using didnt have passage titles so it was harder to pick up in the middle of a gospel passage if I wanted to.

Now in days I can read a KJV like any other translation but it took me a bit to get used to.

Zac Poonen reads from "the message" translation, which my friend told me it's the bible in "slang" format, which made me laugh. I been looking into that translation for when I want to quickly go through a passage or something.

2011/4/15 15:22Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
Come on man. Many hold beliefs that are influenced by Satan and we still fellowship. For the record, I fellowship with people that use Modern Bible Versions.

777, good to hear you are not one who feels so strongly about it so as to break fellowship. But by the tone of some of who have posted recently on this issue, including you, it seemed as if you feel that strongly about it.

Quote:
Do you think Satan who counterfeits everything from God, the Holy Spirit and Jesus, would attempt to counterfeit God's WORD. Simple question. Yes or No?

Of course he would try. The same would apply to the KJV. The question to me is, what is the evidence for or against each version and the manuscripts they are based on?. We can respectfully agree to disagree with some of our understandings on the matter without being so condescending toward each other.

2011/4/15 15:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy