SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : overcoming sin?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: overcoming sin?

What came into remembrance to me is:
read about Peters' life before he recieved the Holy Spirit
(his weakness in the flesh) and his life after after
he was filled with the Holy Spirit of the Living God.
He was raised in POWER.
I only saw one thing after this and that was when Paul
was corecting him of some hipocrisy.

Is there also a FULL and then not staying FULL
enough that has it's efect on us?
I'm asking ! I know I have not arrived,as yet ,but desire to.
Thank you Lord for all this beauty You have created in this beautifull day.

And YOUR mercy that is NEW every morning.
Just to breath a breath of Your air Is Your MERCY.
OH, My thoughts kept running.
Blessed day to you.

2010/12/7 9:26
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

I really appreciate the responses given.
I think of Jesus when He said “Woe to the world for temptations to sin!b For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes! 8And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire. 9And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hellc of fire. Matthew 18:7

He sounds very serious

I think of Paul when he cries,
O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 25I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Romans 7:24

Jesus appears to be the source for change

In 1 Corinthians 9:24 Paul appears to be somewhat proactive

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. 25Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable. 26So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. 27But I discipline my body and keep it under control,b lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

2010/12/7 9:46Profile
TrueWitness

Re: On overcoming sin

I think what was essentially being asked by the original post was this: is it possible to live a life of perpetual sinless perfection?
Nothing forces the Christian to commit any sin any longer because of the life-giving Spirit we now have in Jesus. Overcoming sin and walking in the Spirit is a moment-by-moment walk of faith. We as Christians live in bodies of sin which constantly seeks to gain control of the will in order to express sin. We can become weary of well-doing and be distracted to give place to the flesh. Paul talks about the constant battle between the flesh and the spirit. In this battle, in order for the spirit to prevail, one needs only to yield, submit and surrender to the Spirit of God who puts to death the deeds of the flesh. Life is a never ending series of choices between self/flesh and God/Spirit. Christians may enjoy victory in this area most of the time, but I do not believe that a Christian will have the victory 100% of the time. I am not saying that there is anything that forces a Christian to sin, just that human nature being what it is, we are weak and easily distracted from perfectly trusting the Spirit.

2010/12/7 9:57Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Full and "not full enough"

Hello Ebeth

You asked an important question if I may paraphrase, "can a Christian be half-full of life and therefore compromised in his fight against sin? Peter (Gal 2:18) was clearly wrong, did this indicate that he was now compromised or half-full?

My take on it is that there is no half-life even as is the case biologically. Something is either alive or dead, although I understand the perspective that someone can be so sick they can be considered half-alive or half-dead. This is where the analogy of biological life with spiritual life falls apart. In Spirit, Jesus is the Life (John 14:6) and He is a 1) a person and 2) above any kind of sickness. For our spiritual Life to be half, it means that Jesus is half a Person, that is not possible. For our spiritual Life to be sick it means that Jesus must be sick, that too is impossible.

So you are either completely in an aspect of the Life or you are completely out of an aspect of the Life. That does not mean you're not saved or even completely defiled, it only means that there may still be aspects of your soul that stil need sanctifying and that will always come with revelation.

So what happened with Peter? Peter was an Apostle to the Jews and Paul was an Apostle to the gentiles. It is because of this that Peter was not well versed in the revelation of how to interact with gentiles as Paul was. It was not as common as it is now for non-Jews to believe in a "Jewish" God. Peter's failure was not like adultury or anything like that. It was a failure due to simple ignorance, which he admitted and repented of. So we see that ignorance of certain revelations can result in certain sins in our lives.

2010/12/7 12:16Profile

Re: Full and "not full enough"

Jimm,
Do you not think that at times we are fuller of the Spirit,
than at other times? The Lord said, `If ye will draw nigh to Me ,I will draw nigh to you.
I was thinking on the scriptures in Act4:23-31where Peter and John `returned to their`Own company'(Acts 2:44-46) (who had already
recieved the Holy Spirit),it may have meant they had previously been filled or ? they were so filled to the full that
the place where they were standing literly shook.?

Does not the Lord always give man a choice?Life/death
He said He has come to give us life,and that more abundantly.Our will/His will.Keep our life or die to
`our will'the flesh,or do His will'the Spirit'
(Paul said `For as many,as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God)..to be carnally(fleshly minded)
is death,but to be Spiritualy minded is Life .
If we will eat the Spiritual Bread that He offers to give us, then we can live forever.But can we just let it fall
to the ground?
also I wanted to talk a little about being sickly.
I believe if we are a believer, we protake of the Lord' body,and blood daily.(in protaking of Him).
It says,I believe maybe in John that we must eat and drink of His Body/blood in order to have Life in us.
It goes on to say ,if one protakes of of Him
unworthly...that is why there are so many sickly among us.

Ihave got such a limited amount of time ,I do not know if I am doing this replyenough justice.
Please sift it with my best intentions.

Lovingly,

2010/12/7 15:37
knitefall

Re:

a carnal fleshly understanding of the Gospel is thinking that we have something to do to make God be "closer" to us.

This is not so.

We are either repented of our own abilities to "please" God or not.

perhaps you would like to clarify what you are implying before you lead a little one back into the Law?

2010/12/7 16:15Profile

Re:

Knitefall,

The scriptures say the Gospel, is the Gospel of the Kingdom.
And where there is a kingdom isn't there a King?
And are we not to be the King's subjects?
The King has come to live inside of us,(in our very heart)
through the Spirit.

Lovingly,

2010/12/7 18:14

Re: Peter

What I was tring to say about Peter:
He was weak before he recieved the Holy Spirit w/Power.
He denied Jesus when Jesus was going to be killed.
He was thinking fleshly when Jesus told him, he was going to have to go away,and Peter enjoyed Jesus on earth.
What Jesus wanted was a Spiritual mind.
When he recieved the Holy Spirit w/power he became very bold
in speaking the Truth.

Blessings,

2010/12/7 18:52
Earendel

Central Alberta, Canada

Re:

Quote:
Is there also a FULL and then not staying FULL
enough that has it's efect on us?
I'm asking ! I know I have not arrived,as yet ,but desire to.

Leonard Ravenhill once said: "There is no such thing as one filling with the Holy Ghost that is going to last you from here to eternity."

But for anyone reading this, the baptism of the Holy Ghost is just as real, and just as tangible, and just as necessary in today's church as it was in the beginning. God is not a cessationist! ...and for that I am truly grateful!

listen to Leonard Ravenhill on the subject:

Anointing - Leonard Ravenhill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BeO-iCqxvI

2010/12/7 19:02Profile

Re:

Please! I beg you both to consiter something:
God spoke to Abraham,and Abraham heard God and
Believed (to know God) it was God speaking to him.
and he obeyed. Isn't that true Faith?..Abrahams
faith? Was not this the works of Abraham?
And also,I am not tring to cut you or be ugly but It is the Word (Truth that I wish for you to see.
Look at John 8:36-39

We are all desirous and always in need of more Truth,
and desirous for Him to work that Truth in us.
He sas `To Know Him,Is Eternal Life.

Deeply Careing,

2010/12/7 19:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy