SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Predestination and Free will

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

A legalist may want faithless law, and a licentious may want lawless faith, but the only kind the Bible speaks of is the oxymoron one

2010/10/27 21:12Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Alive-to-God,

The argument I was trying to make is accumulative in nature. That means, if we don't agree on point 1, I can not proceed to point 2 and that seems to be the case.

I was going to suggest that all who are interested would read Romans about 10 times or so without any commentaries or helping materials and pray the Lord would open our understanding. It will only take about a week.

What do you think.

2010/10/27 21:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
A legalist may want faithless law, and a licentious may want lawless faith, but the only kind the Bible speaks of is the oxymoron one

ROFL, lol

2010/10/27 21:27

Re:

Quote:
It is the very nature of faith that produce a desire to live the law of God.

Ezekiel 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

2010/10/27 21:34

Re: Predestination and Free will

Hi UntoBabes,

Possibly you're making more work for yourself than necessary. I'm familiar with the content of Romans, and the exercise you're proposing seems unnecessary (imho).

In particular, I asked the question of you, because there is no need for us to use guesswork with each other, when plain speech will work wonderfully for communication ;-)

As a reminder from p9, your question:

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you have in mind when you ask, 'Why did he have to emphasize on things such as election, predestination, grace, and faith,…to the Gentile believers?'

I don't understand why you pick out the Gentile believers. How is it that 'election, predestination, grace and faith' apply more or less to them than to Jews?

Surely the beauty of Romans is that Paul shows how Abram was a Gentile before God's covenant with him, and so his faith before he was circumcised, could be counted as righteousness? The physical circumcision was a sign of the spiritual reality already established; just as under the New Covenant, circumcision of the heart is all that's required, God sending the Holy Spirit after our faith in Christ, in recognition of our new relationship through Him with the Father.

2010/10/27 22:15
RainMan

Re:

Quote:
The argument I was trying to make is accumulative in nature. That means, if we don't agree on point 1, I can not proceed to point 2 and that seems to be the case.

If i interpret what you are saying correctly your conclusion of truth (exegesis) is based on cumulative arguments (similar to Pauls scholarly and methodical approach).

My question to you and to all on this thread is this
Do you believe that the bible is complete and amply able to instruct us? What ever our conclusions are does the bible explicitly in an exegetical sense support our conclusions as such conclusions can be found in scripture ("Therefore", "verily i tell you") or are our conclusions eisegetical and result of inferring meaning. In the path to truth we must be able to discern which arguments are exegetical and those that are eisegetical and do so in love and peace without contention. Many people on here will challenge the validity of the use of scripture simply because of the eisegetical nature and hermeneutical content of many of our arguements (myself one such culprit) and we should all do this in studying the word as this helps us to "RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD" but most importantly as a body we need to go back to holy spirit inspired teaching and not repeat the same mistake of early churches such as corinth that lusted for earthly wisdom even though they were supposed to be "Spiritual" people they acted and thought like fleshly people.

I have actually enjoyed reading this thread as seeing different perspectives forces me to scrutinise scripture closer holding on to that which is good and of the spirit and discarding that which was from my own carnal mind.

God Bless

Food for thought
Jude

7 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires."

*****19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.****

20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

22Be merciful to those who doubt; 23snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

2010/10/28 5:04Profile
jiyouk

Re:

Wow, such a long thread that I only read the first and the last parts.
I've been thinking about this subject as well and want to organize my thoughts (even though I should be doing my university homework :)

I actually lie much more to the free will part and think that Armenians especially John Wesley knew more of what they were talking about.
Our church empahsizes free will as well.
You'll have to stick with me till the end cause I'm not actually leaning to one side.
I was more on the free will side because I saw so many christians using God's will for everything that happened. If they get into a good university, oh god led me there. Oh god gave me such a good spouse, God lead me to this place and so on. Such religiousness, yet these brothers would not really think about what REALLY was God's will, for exammple to give our all to Him as a blank page as a living sacrifice, to be always saying yes to his Great commision. So I was against all the religious god's will predestionation abusing that was going on in the church.
So I was sort of more on the free will side.
But in our church, which emphasis free will (more so on the unconscint level) the negative side effects were that we began to see ourselves as having done the "right" choice that was in line with the word of God rather than really believing that it was God who was working and leading us!
SO then every decision was checked with the bible and then made in line with the Bible, but my decision had so much to do with the outcome of events in the future, that there was great pressure. It felt like I was responsible for the right outcome by deciding "correctly" and if I did choose according to Gods word, I would feel like it was me who obeyed instead of God who lead. More ephasis, thus, was put on me instead of God.

One thing that christians struggle with is the feeling of inadaquetness. I'm not enough for GOds services. Is really leading me? Or maybe I'm not enough.

THus the idea that I was chosen by God, the confidence of being his one and only adopted son began to go down...

In other words, we weren't really obeying GOd, just making the right decisions...

Anyway.. So these days, I'm really think that there is a mix of these two. God is leading! He has a plan! He has destined us. But we have do decide "combine the word with faith"

In the end it is actually God who has chosen us. I have replied to his invitation. It is the will of these two parties that meet.

But unto unbelievers..
Who haven't been predestined..
I don't believe that.
I believe that we are to preach the gospel,
and that some respond and some don't by their free will.

I don't think that Calvin meant when he said we have been predestined, to refer to unblievers.
It's actually when you look back at your life and you can say.. Wow.. GOd has lead me towards Him! But this is regarding my life. not for an unbeliever.
He isn't destined for hell (by Gods will) cause God wants everybody to be saved.

John wesley in the end just knew that he had to preach to everyone and give them a chance to reply to the God's calling to these people.

God calls.. and we obey.
The rest, he deals with.
He calls us by his message of the gospel.. and we reply with our free will..

2010/10/29 11:19Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

A word about the will.

(I) Man ‘s will to chose God is not a liberal idea. While in the world’s economy to be Pro-choice is to demand human rights. In this case: the right of the woman over her own body to aboard her baby. We find the biblical idea of the will quite the opposite.

Eze 33:11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked TURN FROM his way and LIVE: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Choosing God is a way of life and not of death.

(II) Choosing God is not only for the righteous. The Bible is so clear on this point.

The man who divorced his wife, committed a murder, robbed the bank reaches a breaking point in his life crying in his prison cell. Where are you God? Please save me if you exist. Overwhelmed by his depravity, yet able to make the cry of faith, indeed will not be turned down by God, but his cry will be heard.

It is his very depravity that lead him to make that cry, it his very desperation, it is the brokenness of his will that gave rise to another kind of will. The will to seek God.

Psalm 107 is a perfect illustration of that truth.

(1) In verses 4,5 we see God pursuing man through affliction.

4They wandered in the wilderness in a desert region;
They did not find a way to an inhabited city.
5They were hungry and thirsty;
Their soul fainted within them.

(2) In verse 6a we see man’s cry for salvation.

6Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble;

(3) In verses 6b,7 we see God’s response to their cry by saving them.

He delivered them out of their distresses.
7He led them also by a straight way,
To go to an inhabited city.

(4) In verse 8,9 we see man praising God for salvation

8Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
9For he satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness.

This scene repeats itself throughout the whole Psalm.

Again:

(1) In verses 10-12 we see God pursuing man through affliction which were cause by man’ sin against God.

10Such as sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, being bound in affliction and iron;
11Because they rebelled against the words of God, and contemned the counsel of the most High:
12Therefore he brought down their heart with labors; they fell down, and there was none to help.

(2) In verse 13a we see man’s cry for salvation.

13Then they cried unto the LORD in their trouble,

(3) In verses 13b, 14 we see God’s response to their cry by saving them.

and he saved them out of their distresses.
14He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.

(4) In verse 15,16 we see man praising God for salvation.

15Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
16For he hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder.

Again:

(1) In verses 17,18 we see God pursuing man through affliction which were cause by man’ sin against God.

17Fools because of their transgression, and because of their iniquities, are afflicted.
18Their soul abhors all manner of meat; and they draw near unto the gates of death.

(2) In verse 19a we see man’s cry for salvation.

19Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble,

(3) In verses 19b,20 we see God’s response to their cry by saving them.

and he saves them out of their distresses.
20He sent his word, and healed them, and delivered them from their destructions.

(4) In verse 21,22 we see man praising God for salvation.

21Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
22And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing.

Again:

(1) In verses 25-27 we see God pursuing man through affliction which were cause by man’ sin against God.

25For he commands, and raises the stormy wind, which lifts up the waves thereof.
26They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.
27They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.

(2) In verse 28a we see man’s cry for salvation.

28Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble,

(3) In verses 28b-30 we see God’s response to their cry by saving them.

and he brings them out of their distresses.
29He makes the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.
30Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he brings them unto their desired haven.

(4) In verse 31,32 we see man praising God for salvation.

31Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!
32Let them exalt him also in the congregation of the people, and praise him in the assembly of the elders.

The lesson of the psalm:

That the righteous may see this, and rejoice: and all iniquity shall stop her mouth.

Whoso is wise will observe these things, and shall understand the mercies of the LORD.

Now ask this,

When man is his misery which is caused by his own sin cry unto the Lord.
Is this the cry of free will, or the cry of end of the will.

I think it is both. It is free in the sense that God does not force man to make the cry. Although God will use judgment upon man to compel him to make the cry, He certainly does not coerce it, for we know that some will not make that cry even when judged by God.
In Revelations 9: 20 we see man in his highest degree of depravity, manifested in hatred, and rebellion towards God that he will not make that cry no matter the pain, misery, and torment that God uses to get him to repent.

Rev 9:20 And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Rev 9:21 Neither repented they of their murders, nor of their sorceries, nor of their fornication, nor of their thefts.

2010/10/29 16:05Profile
RainMan

Re: UntoBabes psalm 107

After reading your post i will beg your indulgence a little as i feel your exegesis of the 107th psalm is very catastrophically misleading.

1. The psalms as you know are allegorical and we have to understand them in proper context.

a:) The people crying out to the lord in the psalm are obviously his elected people who were in distress at the hand of their foes which was brought about by the continual disobedience of the children of Israel. There is no presidence for "Man" in the 107 psalm crying out as being a reference to humanity. "Man" in this context was isreal who where in distress.

b:) 11 for they had rebelled against the words of God
and despised the counsel of the Most High.

12 So he subjected them to bitter labor;
they stumbled, and there was no one to help.

13 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
and he saved them from their distress.

as i re-iterate it was Israel in distress caused by disobedience

c:) The 107 psalm is not talking about salvation. It is talking about God "saving" or delivering them (Israel) from the hands of their oppressor and troubles.

d:) The Ezekiel verse you quoted was also refering to Israel and not to humanity.

Please consider prayer before you post such ideas as these sort of thinking is not Holy spirit Inspired exegesis. We should carefully study and pray over scripture.

God Bless

2010/10/30 12:22Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Quote:
There is no presidence for "Man" in the 107 psalm crying out as being a reference to humanity.

Yes there is.
Verse 8.
8Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

If the phrase "children of men" is not general enough in your opinion to include all the children of men. Going to the original tongues reveals the right translation to that phrase. The exact translation is: "Sons of Adam".

I don't think it gets any more general than that .

The same phrase "Sons of Adam" repeats itself again in verses 15, 21, 31.

I agree that the first part sounds very similar to the history of Israel, and that may very well be the case, but if you take an honest look at the whole psalm, you must admit that it speaks of the whole of the human race. Otherwise, you have to provide evidence from the history of Israel to explain verses as 23-27.

23They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

24These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.

25For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.

26They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.

27They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end.

Also the conclusion of the psalm that "All transgression may shut its mouth" is a word to all the sons of Adam to heed.

I believe the Psalm includes the experience of all mankind.

Verses 1-9 speaks of deliverance from wandering and lostness v.7 ( The experience may be taken from the history of Israel. I don't mind that.)

Verses 10-16 Speaks of deliverance from bondage and oppression v. 16.

Verses 17-22 speak of deliverance from bondage of death and destruction v.20.

Verses 23-32 speak of deliverance from confusion and turmoil v. 29-30.

2010/10/30 13:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy