Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Lazy Bones

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Lazy Bones

So as I was sitting at work today I generally have time to read but as I got started on my devotionals I found that I was being distracted and unfocused. I see this as me being lazy and undisciplined. So I was curious as to what you all do to refocus yourselves and motivate yourselves to dive back in the word? Just kind of curious because it seems lately that I have been battling this and really need some prayer and possible guidance on breaking this. It seems just recently that I started doing this like three days or so ago and before that I was fired up to read the word and study diligently, anyone else ever exprience this? If so how did you break it? Any comments or input will be appreciated because I hate this feeling and am really seeking God for some answers on how to break this lethargy.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/30 1:08Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Lazy Bones

It always helps me to be honest with God, and tell Him that I am being lazy, not in a rote way, but in a real honest prayerful fashion. And I ask for His grace to overcome my weakness. I cannot remember it ever failing. Because God only gives grace to humble people 1Peter 5:5, James 4:6, Proverbs 3:34. The prideful tendency in us is to try to work up a bit of strange fire.

Humility, honesty, and Grace are a three-fold cord, never broken. It helps to recognize it as a sin, not as a "mistake" or something pettily less than what it really is. Adam is trying to re-fill your vessel. And when we know what is right and do not do it...then it is sin. Therefore, humble yourself under the mighty hand of God and ask for the grace of Christ.

God allows the valley of the shadow of death to lure us in, that he might take us out again. So that we know He is our Good Shepherd. It is for our greatest good, and for His greatest glory.

On a practical level, try pacing or walking while you read. This helps me immensely. And I am of the persuasion that it helped Paul through some rough times too, Acts 20:13. God Bless Matthew.

2010/4/30 1:31Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Thanks Jeremiah those are some great words of wisdom and they are taken into great consideration. I think a part of my problem (not to justify my laziness) is I am physically tired. I will definitely need the Grace of Christ to overcome this and I agree the Valley is a place that many don't like being but I find that its the place where faith and perservance grows the most. Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice they are appreciated. :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/30 1:47Profile

Re:

Gen. 16:13

Numbers 24:
2 And Balaam raised his eyes, and saw Israel encamped according to their tribes; and the Spirit of God came upon him.

3 Then he took up his oracle and said:
“The utterance of Balaam the son of Beor,
The utterance of the man whose eyes are opened,

4 The utterance of him who hears the words of God,
Who sees the vision of the Almighty,
Who falls down, with eyes wide open:

If God wants to reveal Himself towards His specific purpose, he might even use a donkey.

If we continue to seek Him, He will search us in like manner.

Recognizing that God is always watching and present in and about me has always helped this human to keep a proper perspective. Keeping eyes open to God, Who is always there, helps to maintain constant vigilance to hearing His voice. Quite contrary to what most think, He is ever speaking. He is not silent.

Whether devotions or ALL the various daily happenstances, with this perspective, you cannot help but be filled with wonder and fascination as to this One who controls the big picture, as well as knowing and revealing -if affections just shut up and you listen- your best next step.

Prov. 3:6,12,21-24

Psalm 139:
1 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

Meditate on these scriptures til they sink deep becoming predominant thought.

Then begin to pray the same.
You will be shocked how vibrant God makes life become, (not just devotions).

Also, you just might wonder how you could have had held such indolent attitude towards His testimony: a love letter to all the members of His family.

Letting feelings get in the way is following the senses = sensual. What you understand already and what you feel are not the same thing.

Agapeo,
g
Acts 20:32

"The kingdom then is not for weaklings, waverers, and compromisers... It is not for Balaam, the rich young ruler, Pilate, and Demas... It is not won by means of deferred prayers, unfulfilled promises, broken resolutions and hesitant testimonies. It is for strong and sturdy men like Joseph, Nathan, Elijah, Daniel, Mordecai, and Peter... Stephen... and Paul. And let us not forget such valiant women as Ruth, Deborah, Esther, and Lydia"
~William Hendrickson~

edited towards better understanding

2010/4/30 7:55
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

Quote:
I think a part of my problem (not to justify my laziness) is I am physically tired.

Sorry, twas not my intention to call being physically tired a sin. Just laziness :).

A little sleep...a little slumber...a little folding of the hands.

One of my old bosses used to always say, "There is no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need none..."

I always thought that was funny, though a bit off, and somewhat self-righteous.

2010/4/30 12:14Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Oh I didn't take your words as calling being physically tired a sin, I know that I a great portion of me was simply being lazy and I have repented of it and have asked for the hunger and thrist for the Righteousness of God to return in me. I love the No Rest for the Wicked quote I tell that to my dad when I call him in the mornings in a joking manner. I don't say the Righteous don't need none because that seems inaccurate as to human ability we need some kind of rest. :)

2010/4/30 12:52Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Lazy Bones

At times when i find none or little passion for the scriptures, i usually go to this message and its back again :)

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4633

2010/4/30 13:08Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Wow thanks that sermon was awesome and very convicting to my spirit.

2010/4/30 14:31Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I believe I have found my weakness, when I read at work there are many things that are worldly flying around me ie a worldly talk and television when I work by myself I keep the television off for the most part however when I work with another person they generally turn the TV on and turn it up and the television is very distracting to me and I can't stay focused distrubing my study time. I have a few option to prevent this One is stop studing at work and study more at home which I run into the same kind of problem but not as bad or find a better way to block out the television and pray for strength to not turn my head to see the things coming from the screen. My coworker is also a talker and she likes to talk about everything that goes on at the work place in a gossiping fashion I tend to just ignore her but it is still a distraction. So if you want to pray for me to have a guard on my eyes and grace to overcome this I would appreciated it!

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/5/1 1:41Profile

Re:

Matthew

No wonder you are having problems when you allow your co-worker to gossip in your prescnce without saying that you do not like to hear gossip. Take a stand on this and see what happens.

But the root of the problem is due to falling out of love with Christ. When we are in love, we are thinking of our love all of the time and nothing can distract us from that. The sleepiness is spiritual deathness and what we need is to be revived.

Brenda

2010/5/1 3:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy