SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : IHOP Prophecy Room

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

IHOP Prophecy Room

How are ihop's prophesies so accurate? I listened to about 8 people I know and the % of them being is correct is all but one?

2010/4/12 18:14
mguldner

Kansas

Re: IHOP Prophecy Room

I have actually been to the Prophecy Rooms in Ihop, and from what I have seen the prophecy do at Ihop are not for telling you your future or anything of that nature, their prophecy rooms are for encouraging the saints. They did say some pretty awesome things that I am starting to see manifest in my heart and life, also in my wife as well. Spirit lead and since they use the word of God most of the time its quite awesome.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/12 19:13Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi codek...

Quote:

How are ihop's prophecies so accurate? I listened to about 8 people I know and the % of them being is correct is all but one?

Can you be a little more specific? Which prophesies are you speaking of? What was said?

To be honest, I have heard so many "prophets" who use vague words about hopes, dreams, concerns or spiritual aspirations -- and then call it "prophecy." I have been to churches where the "prophets" gave people "words" about how the target of their word was having "concern" over finances, the condition of loved ones, ministry or ministry opportunities, etc... I would just think to myself that those same words could be said to 90% of the people in such a meeting. How many times do we need to hear a "prophetic" message directed at musicians/singers who are told that they will "heal the sick" when they play music/sing?

I suppose that one thing that is missing in most "prophecies" is real specificity. Most words spoken in modern churches are so ambiguous that they could be spoken over almost any person, any pastor or any congregation. Paul said that real prophecy would make manifest "the secrets of the heart" (I Corinthians 14:24-25).

I guess that I can't determine how "accurate" the prophecies truly are if we don't know which ones you are speaking about. However, I would also remind you that there are plenty of scammers out there who seem almost "supernaturally" accurate.

My sister and her husband attended a meeting where the "prophet" picked them out of the crowd, told them their license plate number, and a few other things (like the fact that my brother-in-law was working outdoors). After the meeting, I went to my sister's house. She said that the preacher (or someone who worked for him) saw my sister and her husband get to church late from the windows of their Winnebago. The person watched my brother-in-law as he placed his hard hat in the trunk of the car and discuss a few things that the preacher elaborated in the meeting. Yet, the preacher put on a show as if God was speaking through him.

I don't know what would cause a well-meaning person to incorrectly attribute his words as being from God. Maybe they just don't know God well enough to make certain that his words are not from God? However, there are books available that highlight many of the specific false prophecies that have been uttered by well known preachers. While Benny Hinn might be able to tell one weeping person at a meeting that they are "concerned about a loved one" or are "concerned about finances," it is amazing that he could falsely prophesy that the state of Florida would be under ocean water in the 1990s.

So, again, we don't know the specific "prophecies" that you are referring to. Thus, it would be difficult to comment upon those words specifically. However, you have already born witness to the idea that 1 out of 8 are [i]incorrect[/i]. That is a flat out admission that 12.5% of those prophecies are false. As the old saying goes, "[i]A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump[/i]" (Galatians 5:9).

2010/4/13 1:01Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

There isn't a specific set of prophecies he is speaking of, the prophecy room at Ihop isn't for foretelling but for encouragement, they don't give ministry direction, People come in sign up for prophecy, are lead to a smaller room that connects to the main room and two or three people seek the leading of the Lord to speak encouragement lead by the Holy Spirit.

2010/4/13 1:10Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

If it is for encouragement, why not say that?

Why call it prophecy when it isn't?

Confusing.

Basically, it just seems like counselling.

2010/4/13 2:15Profile

Re:

I'm not feeling IHOP to be honest. The only thing I thought they had going for themselves was the Prophecy Room.

To be honest, my gut says there is something off about IHOP.

And Bob Jones who is the mentor of Mike Bickle reinstating Todd Bentley is heresy.

Bob Jones I might add is no saint either having admitted that he sexually abused two ladies at vineyard by making them undress themselves in front of him during a prophecy.

I don't know how this guy can have any credit.

I'm just wondering how mine was so accurate.

2010/4/13 9:21
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Quote:
If it is for encouragement, why not say that?

They do say that, they use prophecy as a means to encourage.

Quote:
I'm not feeling IHOP to be honest. The only thing I thought they had going for themselves was the Prophecy Room.

If you felt that they are being dishonest then why did you go for prophecy? And Ihop has a lot of different things 24/7 prayer which has been going on for 10 years, they are soon to start 24/7 Works of Justice here coming shortly.

I don't know a whole lot about the Ihop past but I do know that just because there are some shady things doesn't mean that the Spirit of God can't move and so its very possible for to be accurate on your said prophecy.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/4/13 11:03Profile
elanham

Maryland

I have seen many give accurate details about the life of other people when they where living in adultery. The reason why someone can do this is because the gifts of the spirit are not conferred on the basis of character. They are Gods free gift. Which is the reason why we should not be blown away and get stars in our eyes when someone gives us information about us that is accurate. That will always lead to deception. I cant speak for the person who spoke over you. They may very well be genuine before the Lord.

Yet I will say that there is an insidious preoccupation among many of Gods people with things that purport to be prophetic or supernatural. This I believe is due to the grayness in many of our lives. So we need and reach for something that will liven up our otherwise boring and predictable Christianity.

Whenever I see a ministry seeking to get Gods people to have a sort of euphoric hunger and expectation for something spectacular I get concerned. Jesus will never do the sensational for the sake of livening up a meeting or our lives. That is sensual and the Lord rebuked that yearning when he saw it in the people of His day. It needs again to be rebuked today for many Christians, mostly young are by the thousands signing up a brand of Christianity that offers them excitement and rapturous experiences with God.

These christians have no stomach for the quite, unassuming ways in which God deals with and leads His people. Elijah did not find God in the mighty wind, or the earthquake. He found God in the still small voice. So boring. So humdrum. So ordinary. Yet God was and always will be found in that place as was evidenced by the coming of God in the manger 2000 years ago.

Accurate words are good. I also recieved a detailed accurate word from the prophecy room at IHOP years ago.
Yet lets keep our eye on Love, character and reality which has somehow been missing in much of what has been labeled prophetic over the years.

2010/4/13 11:56Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

So, is it [i]prophecy[/i] or is it [i]encouragement[/i]? Or is it supposed to be both? Is this congregation and its leadership literally setting up "prophecy rooms" where would-be prophets speak "supernatural words from God" over the people who walk in? As someone mentioned earlier, 1 out of 8 (12.5%) might be flat out "false."

Quote:

I have seen many give accurate details about the life of other people when they where living in adultery. The reason why someone can do this is because the gifts of the spirit are not conferred on the basis of character.

I strongly disagree. Consider the words of I Corinthians 13:1-2, "[i]Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, [u]I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal[/u]. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, [u]I am nothing[/u][/i]." Who wants to go to some "prophecy room" and listen to some sinful person (like, as you said, a person currently living in adultery) give out a "prophetic word?"

Moreover, who wants to go to some room filled with people who would like to be prophets utter unspecific words of "prophecy" to people seeking those things?

Quote:
These christians have no stomach for the quite, unassuming ways in which God deals with and leads His people. Elijah did not find God in the mighty wind, or the earthquake. He found God in the still small voice. So boring. So humdrum. So ordinary.

I think that you are missing the point. The "still small voice" was NOT boring or "humdrum" to the prophet Elijah. It was EXACTLY what he needed to hear at the time that he needed to hear it. Elijah was unmoved by the fire, wind and earthquake. How many people walk into a "prophecy center" and are moved when someone supposedly utters something about them? If I had a nickel for every time I heard a "prophet" utter some ambiguous nonsense (that is typically true for 90% of believers) with his own intellectual prowess (or lack thereof), well, let's just say that it would feed a lot of hungry people.

However, I do think that you make an interesting point. Believers are so easily moved by the appearance of the supernatural. Believers should NOT be moved by such things -- even truly supernatural things -- unless they are first tested. Paul even instructed us to test the words of "an angel from heaven" (Galatians 1:8). After all, the "spirit of the prophets are subject to the prophets" (I Corinthians 14:32). I have heard so many people who directly or indirectly consider themselves "prophets" -- but their "words" are ambiguous at best (or flat out false at worse). I have heard "prophets" who pride themselves on the fact that many people did not like them and attribute it to being a "prophet." I once told a self-proclaimed prophet who told me this that people actually didn't like him...because he was rude and mean.

I suppose that I would caution anyone headed to the "chamber of prophets" at IHOP (or any congregation) to TEST EVERYTHING that they are told (I Thessalonians 5:21). What's more, I would tell them to SEEK GOD FIRST. If a believer is walking firmly in the hands of God...then they don't need to go around "chasing the wind" (including the type of spiritual wind that Elijah saw from the cave). I do believe in prophecy...and I even believe that it is for today. I just haven't met too many modern "prophets" who truly acted or operated in the gift itself. I believe that any true prophet would welcome someone to test their words (to see if they are truly from God). But don't tell other "prophets" this -- less you face the verbal "prophetic" rhetoric and psycho-babel directed at "doubters" who "lack faith."

2010/4/13 13:44Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

So, is it [i]prophecy[/i] or is it [i]encouragement[/i]? Or is it supposed to be both? Is this congregation and its leadership literally setting up "prophecy rooms" where would-be prophets speak "supernatural words from God" over the people who walk in? As someone mentioned earlier, 1 out of 8 (12.5%) might be flat out "false."

Quote:

I have seen many give accurate details about the life of other people when they where living in adultery. The reason why someone can do this is because the gifts of the spirit are not conferred on the basis of character.

I strongly disagree. Consider the words of I Corinthians 13:1-2, "[i]Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, [u]I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal[/u]. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, [u]I am nothing[/u][/i]." Who wants to go to some "prophecy room" and listen to some sinful person (like, as you said, a person currently living in adultery) give out a "prophetic word?"

Moreover, who wants to go to some room filled with people who would like to be prophets utter unspecific words of "prophecy" to people seeking those things?

Quote:
These christians have no stomach for the quite, unassuming ways in which God deals with and leads His people. Elijah did not find God in the mighty wind, or the earthquake. He found God in the still small voice. So boring. So humdrum. So ordinary.

I think that you are missing the point. The "still small voice" was NOT boring or "humdrum" to the prophet Elijah. It was EXACTLY what he needed to hear at the time that he needed to hear it. Elijah was unmoved by the fire, wind and earthquake. How many people walk into a "prophecy center" and are moved when someone supposedly utters something about them? If I had a nickel for every time I heard a "prophet" utter some ambiguous nonsense (that is typically true for 90% of believers) with his own intellectual prowess (or lack thereof), well, let's just say that it would feed a lot of hungry people.

However, I do think that you make an interesting point. Believers are so easily moved by the appearance of the supernatural. Believers should NOT be moved by such things -- even truly supernatural things -- unless they are first tested. Paul even instructed us to test the words of "an angel from heaven" (Galatians 1:8). After all, the "spirit of the prophets are subject to the prophets" (I Corinthians 14:32). I have heard so many people who directly or indirectly consider themselves "prophets" -- but their "words" are ambiguous at best (or flat out false at worse). I have heard "prophets" who pride themselves on the fact that many people did not like them and attribute it to being a "prophet." I once told a self-proclaimed prophet who told me this that people actually didn't like him...because he was rude and mean.

I suppose that I would caution anyone headed to the "chamber of prophets" at IHOP (or any congregation) to TEST EVERYTHING that they are told (I Thessalonians 5:21). What's more, I would tell them to SEEK GOD FIRST. If a believer is walking firmly in the hands of God...then they don't need to go around "chasing the wind" (including the type of spiritual wind that Elijah saw from the cave). I do believe in prophecy...and I even believe that it is for today. I just haven't met too many modern "prophets" who truly acted or operated in the gift itself. I believe that any true prophet would welcome someone to test their words (to see if they are truly from God). But don't tell other "prophets" this -- less you face the verbal "prophetic" rhetoric and psycho-babel directed at "doubters" who "lack faith."

2010/4/13 13:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy