It is good or bad?

Why should we have the fear of God?

Grace,
Doug ;-)

2004/6/18 14:18Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: The Fear of God

Proverbs 8:12 tells us that the fear of the Lord is to HATE evil.

So, to fear God we are to hate all sin, as sin destroys the intimacy we have with God. If I were to break into your house at night, and try to take your spouse from you, you would loathe that, and do everything in your power to keep that from happening. So it must be with us and God. We must hate sin, repudiate sin, and not sin. That is the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord takes no delight in evil.

2004/6/18 15:45Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re: The Fear of God

That is very true, KingJimmy!

To add to that, I think to fear the Lord means to have respect and reverance for God. It's not a fear like God's going to punish us or hurt us. It's like when you don't do something cause you know your dad would ground you if you got caught. It's a healthy respect and acknowledgment that he has authority and power over you. We are to fear the Lord, and if we do this we will be less likely to go out and commit the sins we want to do, cause we know God is watching us. If we fear the Lord, we won't want to do those sins, cause we know God detests them. We will actually hate those sins like KingJimmy was talking about before. The fear of the Lord is a good thing.

2004/6/18 17:36Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Fear of God

Here is a tape series from Richard Owen Roberts on the Fear of the Lord:

In Isaiah (8:13 and 66:2) God declares, "It is the LORD of hosts whom you should regard as holy. And He shall be your fear, and He shall be your dread... But to this one will I look, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My word." Throughout the Bible one finds copious references to the fear of God. Strangely though, most modern pulpiteers seem reluctant to urge this essential and fundamental matter upon their congregations. In these messages, Mr. Roberts explores three intrinsic aspects of the fear of God and how they should affect us.

FOG.1 - The Fear of God, The Beginning of Wisdom (Psalm 111:10).

FOG.2 - The Fear of God, The Only Preservative against Evil (Exodus 20:20).

FOG.3 - The Fear of God, The Only Guarantee of Justice (Nehemiah 5:15).

FOG.4 - The Fear of God, It's Nature.

FOG.5 - The Fear of God, It's Necessity.

FOG.6 - The Fear of God, It's Notable Effects.

[url=http://www.intl-awaken.com/tapelist.htm#Fear]Order[/url]

2004/6/18 18:14Profile
moreofHim

Re: fear of God

My first thought is that the fear of the Lord brings WISDOM. I have counted over 48 verses so far that have "fear the Lord" or "fear of God" in them. I am sure there are more. With that many verses, it must be very important! Most of the church today has lost this fear of the Lord- Which is why they don't obey Him.

Wisdom-

And he said to man, 'The fear of the Lord--that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding.'" Job 28:28

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise. Psalms 111:10

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

The fear of the LORD teaches a man wisdom, and humility comes before honor. Proverbs 15:33

He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure. Isaiah 33:6

To Be Kept From Sin-

Moses said to the people, "Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning." Exodus 20:20

The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, turning a man from the snares of death. Proverbs 14:27

Through love and faithfulness sin is atoned for; through the fear of the LORD a man avoids evil. Proverbs 16:6

The fear of the LORD leads to life: Then one rests content, untouched by trouble. Proverbs 19:23

Good Life-

Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever! Deuteronomy 5:29

These are the commands, decrees and laws the LORD your God directed me to teach you to observe in the land that you are crossing the Jordan to possess, so that you, your children and their children after them may fear the LORD your God as long as you live by keeping all his decrees and commands that I give you, and so that you may enjoy long life. Deuteronomy 6:1, 2

The LORD confides in those who fear him; he makes his covenant known to them. Psalms 25:14

How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you. Psalms 31:19

But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love, Psalms 33:18

The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. Psalms 34:7

Fear the LORD, you his saints, for those who fear him lack nothing. Psalms 34:9

Surely his salvation is near those who fear him, that his glory may dwell in our land. Psalms 85:9

For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; Psalms 103:11

As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; Psalms 103:13

But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord's love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children's children-- Psalms 103:17

He provides food for those who fear him; he remembers his covenant forever. Psalms 111:5

You who fear him, trust in the LORD-- he is their help and shield. Psalms 115:11

he will bless those who fear the LORD-- small and great alike. Psalms 115:13

A song of ascents. Blessed are all who fear the LORD, who walk in his ways. Psalms 128:1

Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil. Proverbs 3:7

The fear of the LORD adds length to life, but the years of the wicked are cut short. Proverbs 10:27

Humility and the fear of the LORD bring wealth and honor and life. Proverbs 22:4

Yet because the wicked do not fear God, it will not go well with them, and their days will not lengthen like a shadow. Ecclesiastes 8:13

They do not say to themselves, 'Let us fear the LORD our God, who gives autumn and spring rains in season, who assures us of the regular weeks of harvest.' Jeremiah 5:24

"Did Hezekiah king of Judah or anyone else in Judah put him to death? Did not Hezekiah fear the LORD and seek his favor? And did not the LORD relent, so that he did not bring the disaster he pronounced against them? We are about to bring a terrible disaster on ourselves!" Jeremiah 26:19

I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them. Jeremiah 32:39

I will make an everlasting covenant with them: I will never stop doing good to them, and I will inspire them to fear me, so that they will never turn away from me. Jeremiah 32:40

His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. Luke 1:50

Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace. It was strengthened; and encouraged by the Holy Spirit, it grew in numbers, living in the fear of the Lord. Acts 9:31

By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith. Hebrews 11:7

and there are many more....
----------------------------

Mike Yaconelli: "I would like to suggest that the Church become a place of terror again; a place where God continually has to tell us, "Fear not"; a place where our relationship with God is not a simple belief or a doctrine or theology, it is God's burning presence in our lives. I am suggesting that the tame God of relevance be replaced by the God whose very presence shatters our egos into dust, burns our sin into ashes, and strips us naked to reveal the real person within. The Church needs to become a gloriously dangerous place where nothing is safe in God's presence except us. Nothing--including our plans, our agendas, our priorities, our politics, our money, our security, our comfort, our possessions, our needs.

"Our world is... longing to see people whose God is big and holy and frightening and gentle and tender... and ours; a God whose love frightens us into His strong and powerful arms where He longs to whisper those terrifying words, 'I love you.'"

In Him, Chanin

2004/6/18 18:18Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

There is a hymn we frequently sing in our meetings written by Wesley which begin with the words Thee will I love, my strength, my tower.... It includes the phrase 'filial fears'. (see verse 6)

6 Give to mine eyes refreshing tears,
Give to my heart chaste, hallowed fires,
Give to my soul, with filial fears,
The love that all heaven's host inspires;
That all my powers, with all their might,
In thy sole glory may unite.

Wesley distinguished between 'filial' meaning 'of a son', and 'servile' meaning 'of a slave'. His writings make reference to filial fear, filial faith and filial love. I think he was right in this. The 'fear' of the Lord is not 'servile' but 'filial'. It is the same kind of 'fear' reflected in Peter's first letter; In like manner, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, even if any obey not the word, they may without the word be gained by the behavior of their wives; beholding your chaste behavior coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be the outward adorning of braiding the hair, and of wearing jewels of gold, or of putting on apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in the incorruptible apparel of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner aforetime the holy women also, who hoped in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection to their own husbands: as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose children ye now are, if ye do well, and are not put in fear by any terror. (1Pe 3:1-6 ASV)

It is "fear without terror". "filial fear not servile fear".

The sense is captured in the Lord's quotation from Deuteronomy in Matthew Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. (Mat 4:10 KJV) The original in Deuteronomy has Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name. (Deu 6:13 KJV)

This transposition from 'fear' to 'worship' is very instructive. All true 'worship' has 'awe' in it and the 'fear of the Lord' leads not to terror but to willing surrender.

just my thoughts.

2004/6/18 18:32Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Okay I see

Philologus

I just read your post which you must have submited seconds before me...thanks

James

2004/6/18 18:33Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Okay I see

Quote:

I just read your post which you must have submited seconds before me...thanks

Hi James
I have just added another little piece to it.

2004/6/18 18:43Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Fear=worship

Philologos

I think I am beginning to come to grips with the term “holy fear”. If fear is the same as worship, we can fear in spirit and in truth. Is fearing in Spirit what makes it Holy?

James

2004/6/18 18:55Profile
DelightedInU

Escondido, CA

Re: Fear=worship

Hey Jimm,

I suppose you could say that. I've never really thought about it like that. But I guess if you're living your life obeying God, hating sin, loving Him, respecting Him, then wouldn't that be a life of worshiping Him?

Hmmm...So maybe when God says to "Fear Me!" He could also be saying to "Worship Me!" That could make sense.

2004/6/18 19:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy