SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : We need to cover head covering

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

We need to cover head covering

I admit that this is not the first post and perhaps not the last about this topic.

In this audio verse-by-verse bible study Zac Poonen explains the head covering in 1. Cor 11 1-16 in a masterful way.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=16268

I recently convinced my wife and daughter about it and they practise it since. It caused me and my wife to take a deep look into these issues, and I too had closer look into my responsibility as the head of the household under Christ. It was quite a discovery for me.

Our church does not practise head covering although some women do. For me head covering is the outward display of an inward conviction about godly authority. The reason we have so many objections and find this commandmend so difficult to introduce in our churches is I think is because of the confusion Satan has caused in the perception of true manhood and womenhood in the world and in the church. Head covering seems to be a small and "nasty" commandment to obey so that many think it is not that important. If you practise it you may quickly be branded as legalistic and narrowminded. I think our attitude to head covering reveals a lot about our understanding of godly authority.

Poonen debunks the typical 2 arguments against it which are the believe that the women's natural hair is her covering during the worship service and the other argument that this was only for the first century (Another form of cessationism, isn't it?)
Paul ends this teaching with a strong statement:
1. Cor 11:16 If anyone is inclined to be contentious, we have no such practice, nor do the churches of God.

Philip

2008/2/10 19:54Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: We need to cover head covering

All I can say is let battle commence.

God bless.

2008/2/11 7:22Profile

Re:

Oh boy... I can see already whats on the menu this week... [b]legalism[/b].

I posted the following just a few minutes ago on the Sabbath thread... and it applied here too, since your relying more on Poonen than scripture:

[i]Just an observation here... but why dont people on here argue their points using scripture anymore? Everyone quotes Spurgeon, Pink, Pratney... etc... as tho their words were God breathed.

I love Spurgeon, but if something he said doesnt jive w/ scripture, I'll dump Spurgeon in a heartbeat.[/i] (Same is to be said for Poonen or whoever your favorite teacher is)

[i]This is the same type of mentality that got me caught up in the Charismatic/WOF movememnt when I was first saved. I listened to mens opinions about the Bible instead of studying to show myself approved. But then... I was newly saved and very immature in the faith.

Just wondering...[/i]

Krispy

2008/2/11 9:54

Re:

Quote:
Oh boy... I can see already whats on the menu this week... legalism.

Yep, the curse of Christianity.

2008/2/11 9:56

Re:

I do want to point out that if someone is wholly convinced in their heart that they should wear a head covering, then I say God bless you. By all means, wear it! If you were convinced you should, and you didnt, then you would sinning against your own conscience.

The trouble comes in when we try to convince others that they should as well, and we make a law out of it... which I have seen happen over and over and over again with subjects such as this.

Krispy

2008/2/11 9:59
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: We need to cover head covering

We practice head coverings as well, although I have to admit it is for a totally different reason. It was -15f with a -35f windchill yesterday. It is now a balmy -7f out. :-) :-) :-)

In all reality, if this works for you and your household, go for it. If yo uare doing this to show a reverence for the Lord, great. If your doing this to show your reverence to man, not so great. Regardless, I am sure that you understand that you and your family are not bound by headcoverings in order to be a believer.

2008/2/11 10:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
In all reality, if this works for you and your household, go for it. If yo uare doing this to show a reverence for the Lord, great. If your doing this to show your reverence to man, not so great. Regardless, I am sure that you understand that you and your family are not bound by headcoverings in order to be a believer.

And thats pretty much what I was trying to say as well. Amen.

But the title of this thread hints at legalism... "We [b]Need[/b] A Head Covering".

And scripture clearly says "no we dont".

Krispy

2008/2/11 10:54
davym

Re:

Can I just say briefly that head covering and 1 Corinthians 11 has to do with headship. i.e.

[i]3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
(1 Cor 11 v3)[/i]

This principle is the key in my opinion. It ties in with Paul's other teaching about a woman's position in the church. In fact it goes back to the Garden of Eden.

[i]11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

(1 Tim 2 v 11-14)[/i]

In my experience this teaching has become unpopular which is unfortunate because it is the way God has it and His way is obviously the best way for all of us. There has been many reasons for this namely

1. Abuse of position by men.
2. The intrusion of liberal thinking in churches.
3. Picking and choosing scriptures we like.

I could go on but don't mean to bore you. This is not a sexist argument. Men and women are equal. It's all about our [b]position[/b] in the Body of Christ.

[i]11Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
12For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

1 Cor 11 v11-12[/i]

Should women wear hats (or other form of head covering)? I think for a born again believing woman she could consider this a privilege and not a sign that she is beneath her male counterparts.

2008/2/11 10:58Profile

Re:

Amen Krispy.

If I might add as well.

If your doing it because you think it will make you righteous before God, our righteousness is not obtained by what we do, but WHO we trust in. If any righteousness comes from us, it's a result of what He is doing in us, and not by our will.

But regarding "head covering". Your wife's headcovering is YOU. As men, our head covering is Christ, and Christ head is God.

It was Eve who stepped out of line in the garden, therefore she needs to submit to her husband. It has nothing to do with clothes, it all has to do with a submission. A wife can put on all the clothes to "act" the appearance of a submitted woman but in her heart she might be rebellious.

"The Letter killeth but the Spirit giveth life".

If she can wear it without attaching righteousness to it, by all means, be blessed. If not, then you've fallen from grace.

Somethings to consider carefully.

Quote:
Galatians 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Quote:
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Quote:
1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Quote:
Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

2008/2/11 12:00
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

Recently, my wife and I were discussing the concept of physical "head coverings" by various individuals. We don't believe in or practice such a thing, but we were interested in the rationale behind such a practice.

Are there any other verses, outside of the single passage in I Corinthians, upon which this doctrinal persuasion is based? Are there any examples from the Bible (old or new Covenants) in which we see women required to wear such things?

Anyway, thanks (in advance) for the help!

:-)

2008/2/11 12:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy