SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : New Calvinistic song

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Hi Jeannette,

Quote:
But Katy, surely it was worth the shock and pain on that occasion, to see the pastor repent and begin to live and preach more nearly according to Truth! Wow! All because you had the courage to approach him on the matter, and he the humility to listen!

Yes, many things are worth the shock and pain, and even persecution one may receive in speaking out.

The hard core Calvinists left and started their own church. So I would say even the Pastor went through some serious soul searching....yet what I have come across is:

Many who do believe in their eternal security are many times (I hate to use this word, but I will).. *Brainwashed* by certain doctrines of men, not realizing how hurtful many of those doctrines are in the end to souls. I know this Pastor was truly saved, and the Lord did a mighty work in him, (not over night...it never is).

He now has a Church that is so rich in the LOVE of God, and God blessed his obedience.

That's what I call AMAZING GRACE!!!

Never be afraid to speak out, especially when the Lord puts something on your heart ( obedience )to do so. You won't be popular for doing so, but the Lord will show you now and again the fruit of that obedience that far outweighs the pain.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

2007/12/29 9:06
davyman

Re:

I think there is a huge misconception by Arminians on this thread that Calvinist ascribe to the doctrine of saying the "sinner's prayer" is a ticket to heaven. This is not what the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints teaches. Rather, Perseverance of the saints teaches that once God has renewed the heart of a sinner through the application of the redemption wrought by Christ upon the cross, He will continue to be saved and show forth the fruits of that salvation. The sinner perseveres because of Christ, but he continually shows himself as one who has been changed by Christ. God has saved the individual and will sanctify him until the end when he is ultimately glorified, and in heaven. It does not mean man has a license to sin. 1 Peter 1:23, "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." In other words when God changes a heart of stone to a heart of flesh, cannot be revoked. It is a deposit of an incorruptible seed that cannot be taken away. Romans 11:29, says, “For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.” If the promises of God cannot be revoked, then perseverance is a biblical and logical necessity. “I am surely convinced that neither angels, nor powers, nor principalities, nor death, nor life, nor things present, nor things to come…will separate us from the love by which the Lord embraces us in Christ” [Romans 8:38-39].

2007/12/29 10:03Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Here is what one Pastor actually experienced, in regards to [b]brainwashing[/b].

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=582&commentView=itemComments]Communist brainwashing techniques (Video) by Richard Wurmbrand[/url]

2007/12/29 10:33Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi again Jeannette and thank you for the response :-)

I hope it will be alright if I do not respond directly to the things you suggested, at least not right away. The reason is I had something specific in mind and was hoping to look at that in particular.

I was thinking of all of this in regards to our asking how can God hold us accountable to do things that we cannot perform, and this be just.

So I was thinking of these things in that context.

What do you think, is there anything that we may have lost that would have made us accountable to do things we cannot render or attain?

Hi again Chris

The only Scriptural clue I can think of at the moment is that the OT sacrifices included one for sins a person didn't know he'd done! So it seems we are liable for unintentional sins too!

But that's because there is a Sacrifice for sin provided.

As Adam should have known when God made them garments of skin (from a slain animal).

Quote:
is there anything that we may have lost that would have made us accountable to do things we cannot render or attain?

We [i]are[/i] accountable if we refuse His provision for forgiveness and removal of sin. Which is probably why God refused Cain's offering.

But something lost??? When man sinned first he gave himself over to Satan's control, so he was unable to regain that simple innocent trust in God, to walk with Him as before.

So maybe we can say that the thing lost was childlike faith?

But are we liable because of its lack?

I don't think this is the answer you were looking for, but found it good to meditate on all the same...

in Him

Jeannette

2007/12/29 16:37

Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:
As I said before I am Calvistic to a degree. I was telling my Mother yesterday saying, "One thing that I hope that I will begin to know and that is that I am saved".

Brother, I had those same agonies of doubt of salvation at first. That's why I'm mostly grateful for starting my Christian life under Calvinist teaching. Being chronically lacking in confidence and full of doubts about myself, there was a [i]need[/i] of that assurance that a strongly Calvinistic outlook gives.

Just as there is [i]need[/i] for someone who lives carelessly to be warned that he might be lost in the end if he doesn't repent.

Quote:
It would be great to know that with full assurance of faith, but when you sin, you don't sense that belonging.

If I, as a child, wilfully disobey my father is he any less my father? If I fall down in the mud and get filthy as a result of my disobedience, so he has to pick me up and clean me up, is he any less my father?

Quote:
Though I agree with Calvinism or I should say I agree with the Bible when it speaks of predestination, but to say that I am saved, your guess is as good as mine. My problem is not the bible, my problem is a matter of believing that He has cleansed me from all unrighteousness. When I think of past sins I think of the foolish decisions that I have made, even though the LORD has forgiven me, I am having a hard time forgiving myself. The people that I have wronged and the wickedness of my actions towards them, I literally hang my head in shame. When I see them, I go thru the same ritual I did the last time I saw them, "Will you forgive me". Their answer is always, "I have forgiven you, don't let it bother you".

But the fact that you have these doubts, and are so very distressed when you fail, shows you [i]are[/i] indeed saved. If you weren't it wouldn't worry you so much!

John Bunyan went through two years of such torment, even imagining he'd committed the unforgivable sin (as he writes in "Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners"). But the Lord brought him through it in the end.

What was your experience in first coming to Christ? Maybe it would help to make things certain...

It honestly sounds as if the real problem is guilt, not sin!

Please, Brother, stop beating yourself up!

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt!

Quote:
When Calvinist sin, do they still believe that they are saved no matter what? If you died in a backslidden condition, the wages of sin is death, is heaven awaiting for him or is hell?

Good question. As long as you don't imagine [i]you[/i] are backslidden, because it's obnviously not true!

Love in Him

Jeannette

2007/12/29 16:52

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:

In case anyone else is considering this question also, to narrow the consideration, I'm looking at Genesis chapter 3 and verse 7. This may be compared with chapter 2 verse 25.

Only just seen this, Chris. Commentators usually seem to think that what they lost there was the glory of God, in which they were previously "clothed". Of course they must have instantly lost this when they sinned.

Jeannette

2007/12/29 16:57

Re:

Quote:

broclint wrote:
This thread is truly amazing!!

It demonstrates the utter futility and foolishness to which people can go to defend a "position" rather than to merely take what the Word of God says and be done with it.

So what does the Word of God say? Isn't that what some of us are seeking to know in more depth?

What amazes me about this thread is that it is, as Michael said, wonderfully good natured.

Which isn't always the case with this topic! I too have been weary of the ding-dong arguments on "predestination" etc, but this thread seems different.

Another thing I find amazing is that new thoughts, blessed insights into the Word, keep cropping up when discussing a subject that has been debated over and over again.

As long as we are willing to lisen to each other, rather than use the Bible to beat each other with, that will always be true.

As Paul says, when speaking of another subject:
Romans 11:

[color=990000]33 ¶ O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.[/color]

Amen

Jeannette

2007/12/29 17:06

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
...Ultimately, I believe one may only take confidence in one thing... that he has trusted himself to the mercy of God in Christ, and not in works...

"Not in works" - that says it all. That is why both pride in our own righteousness and despair at our lack of it are [i]both[/i] sins!

Quote:
Have you considered the words, "slave of righteousness"? It occurred to me, suddenly and powerfully, to ask myself, "why do you keep coming back to the Lord, after so many failures and embarrassing faults? Why do you keep reading your bible and praying, when at times you hit a brick wall of doubt and ignorance? Why do you keep looking for ways to improve your obedience, when for a season you look for ease in vain things and find none? Because YOU'RE A SLAVE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.

Exodus 21:
[color=990000]5 And if the servant [= slave]shall plainly say, I love my master...I will not go out free:
6 Then his master shall bring him unto the judges; he shall also bring him to the door, or unto the door post; and his master shall bore his ear through with an aul; [b]and he shall serve him for ever.[/b][/color]There comes a point when we have "pierced ears", and are no longer free to stray from our Master!

Amen!

Praise Him!

Jeannette

2007/12/29 17:15

Re:

Quote:

davyman wrote:
I think there is a huge misconception by Arminians on this thread that Calvinist ascribe to the doctrine of saying the "sinner's prayer" is a ticket to heaven.

While there are several partial or non-Calvinists, (such as myself), I'm not sure who the Armenians are on this thread! Could you point them out? :-P

And did anyone say or suggest that Calvinism teaches that "the sinner's prayer is a ticket to heaven"? If so I haven't noticed.

Quote:
This is not what the doctrine of the perseverance of the saints teaches. Rather, Perseverance of the saints teaches that once God has renewed the heart of a sinner through the application of the redemption wrought by Christ upon the cross, He will continue to be saved and show forth the fruits of that salvation. The sinner perseveres because of Christ, but he continually shows himself as one who has been changed by Christ. God has saved the individual and will sanctify him until the end when he is ultimately glorified, and in heaven.

I don't know if anyone disagrees with this. So does that mean we are all Calvinists after all?

Quote:
It does not mean man has a license to sin. 1 Peter 1:23,

No indeed!

Quote:
"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." In other words when God changes a heart of stone to a heart of flesh, cannot be revoked. It is a deposit of an incorruptible seed that cannot be taken away. Romans 11:29, says, “For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable.”

This quote is often used, but it is actually out of context. It originally speaks of the Jews' place in God's plan, that even though they were become, for the most part, enemies of the Gospel, yet they are still His "beloved for the fathers' sakes". In other words it is talking about those who are not saved, yet have received the Scriptures, and the promises and from whom Christ came.

Quote:
If the promises of God cannot be revoked, then perseverance is a biblical and logical necessity. “I am surely convinced that neither angels, nor powers, nor principalities, nor death, nor life, nor things present, nor things to come…will separate us from the love by which the Lord embraces us in Christ” [Romans 8:38-39].

In essence I agree with you. But other Scripture does allow for the [i]possibility[/i] of someone who, having been truly born again, yet still in the end turns his back on the Lord. As I think has already been shown.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/12/29 17:31

Re:

Quote:

Katy-did wrote:
Hi Jeannette,

Quote:
But Katy, surely it was worth the shock and pain on that occasion, to see the pastor repent and begin to live and preach more nearly according to Truth! Wow! All because you had the courage to approach him on the matter, and he the humility to listen!

Yes, many things are worth the shock and pain, and even persecution one may receive in speaking out.

The hard core Calvinists left and started their own church. So I would say even the Pastor went through some serious soul searching....yet what I have come across is:

Many who do believe in their eternal security are many times (I hate to use this word, but I will).. *Brainwashed* by certain doctrines of men, not realizing how hurtful many of those doctrines are in the end to souls. I know this Pastor was truly saved, and the Lord did a mighty work in him, (not over night...it never is).

He now has a Church that is so rich in the LOVE of God, and God blessed his obedience.

That's what I call AMAZING GRACE!!!

Never be afraid to speak out, especially when the Lord puts something on your heart ( obedience )to do so. You won't be popular for doing so, but the Lord will show you now and again the fruit of that obedience that far outweighs the pain.

Thank you Katy, this really spoke to my heart personally...

Blessings

J

2007/12/29 17:36

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy