SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

In my reading today I was very moved by this verse.

1Ti 5:6 [b]But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth. [/b]

and when looking at the words used

[b]she that liveth in pleasure4684[/b]

G4684
σπαταλάω
spat-al-ah'-o
From σπατάλη spatalē (luxury); [b]to be voluptuous: - live in pleasure, be wanton.[/b]

[b]Voluptuous[/b](websters)
Given to the enjoyments of luxury and pleasure; indulging to excess in sensual gratifications.
Soften'd with pleasure and voluptuous life.

[b]wanton[/b](websters)
Wandering from moral rectitude; licentious; dissolute; indulging in sensuality without restraint; as men grown wanton by prosperity.

More appropriately, deviating from the rules of chastity; lewd; lustful; lascivious; libidinous.
Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton. James 5.
Disposed to unchastity; indicating wantonness. Isa 3.
Loose; unrestrained; running to excess.
Luxuriant; overgrown.
Extravagant; as wanton dress.

I also noticed this is the same word used in this verse

Jas 5:5 [b]Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter. [/b]

quite a verse!

been wanton;4684

and when reading this verse in its context it is even more powerful

Jas 5:1 Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
Jas 5:2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.
Jas 5:3 Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
Jas 5:4 Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
Jas 5:5 Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.
Jas 5:6 Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.

the following is an outtake from MH commentary

[i]God does not forbid us to use pleasure; but to live in them as if we lived for nothing else is a very provoking sin; and to do this on the earth, where we are but strangers and pilgrims, where we are but to continue for a while, and where we ought to be preparing for eternity - this, this is a grievous aggravation of the sin of voluptuousness. Luxury makes people wanton, as in Hos_13:6, According to their pasture, so were they filled; they were filled, and their heart was exalted; therefore have they forgotten me. Wantonness and luxury are commonly the effects of great plenty and abundance; it is hard for people to have great plenty and abundance; it is hard for people to have great estates, and not too much indulge themselves in carnal, sensual pleasures: “You have nourished your hearts as in a day of slaughter: you live as if it were every day a day of sacrifices, a festival; and hereby your hearts are fattened and nourished to stupidity, dulness, pride, and an insensibility to the wants and afflictions of others.” Some may say, “What harm is there in good cheer, provided people do not spend above what they have?” What! Is it no harm for people to make gods of their bellies, and to give all to these, instead of abounding in acts of charity and piety? Is it no harm for people to unfit themselves for minding the concerns of their souls, by indulging the appetites of their bodies? Surely that which brought flames upon Sodom, and would bring these miseries for which rich men are here called to weep and howl, must be a heinous evil! Pride, and idleness, and fullness of bread, mean the same thing with living in pleasure, and being wanton, and nourishing the heart as in a day of slaughter. (4.) Another sin here charged on the rich is persecution: You have condemned and killed the just, and he doth not resist you[/i]

This is from Gill's Commentary

[i]Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth,.... This is said of other rich men; for all that is here said is not to be understood of the same individuals, but some things of one, and some of another; some made no use of their riches, either for themselves, or others; some did make use of them, and employed the poor, and then would not give them their wages; and others lived a voluptuous and luxurious life, indulged themselves in carnal lusts and pleasures, and gratified the senses by eating, drinking, gaming, and so were dead while they lived. The phrase suggests, that their pleasures were but short lived, but for a season, even while they were on earth; and that hereafter they would not live in pleasure:

and been wanton; through the abundance and plenty of good things, their delicious way of living, and the swing of pleasures which they took; the allusion is to fatted beasts, which being in good pastures, grow fat and wanton:

ye have nourished your hearts as in a day of slaughter, when beasts were slain for some extraordinary entertainment, or for the solemn festivals and sacrifices the Jews, when they lived more deliciously than at other times; and then the sense is, that these rich men fared sumptuously every day; every day was a festival with them; they indulged themselves in intemperance; they ate and drank, not merely what was necessary, and satisfying, and cheering to nature, but to excess, and gorged, and filled themselves in an extravagant manner: the Syriac version, instead of "hearts", reads "bodies" and one copy reads, "your flesh": and the last phrase may be rendered, as it is in the same version, "as unto", or "for the day of slaughter"; and so the Arabic version, "ye have nourished your hearts, as fattened for the day of slaughter": like beasts that are fattened in order to be killed, so were they preparing and fitting up by their sins for destruction.[/i]

2007/12/7 16:55Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: the word of the Lord!

What a word, what a thoughts!

[b]Jam 5:5 Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.[/b]

The word of God simply lashes and crashes! And there is not leaving much space for interpretation. Just the poor word! Divides the inner parts!

Jer 23:29 [b]Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces? [/b]

2007/12/7 17:11Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

This is from the NLT

Isa 2:6-22 The LORD has rejected the people of Israel because they have made alliances with foreigners from the East who practice magic and divination, just like the Philistines.Israel has vast treasures of silver and gold and many horses and chariots.The land is filled with idols. The people bow down and worship these things they have made.So now everyone will be humbled and brought low. The LORD cannot simply ignore their sins! Crawl into caves in the rocks. Hide from the terror of the LORD and the glory of his majesty. The day is coming when your pride will be brought low and the LORD alone will be exalted. In that day the LORD Almighty will punish the proud, bringing them down to the dust. He will cut down the tall cedars of Lebanon and the mighty oaks of Bashan. He will level the high mountains and hills. He will break down every high tower and wall. He will destroy the great trading ships and all the small boats in the harbor. The arrogance of all people will be brought low. Their pride will lie in the dust. The LORD alone will be exalted! Idols will be utterly abolished and destroyed. When the LORD rises to shake the earth, his enemies will crawl with fear into holes in the ground. They will hide in caves in the rocks from the terror of the LORD and the glory of his majesty. They will abandon their gold and silver idols to the moles and bats. They will crawl into caverns and hide among the jagged rocks at the tops of cliffs. In this way, they will try to escape the terror of the LORD and the glory of his majesty as he rises to shake the earth. Stop putting your trust in mere humans. They are as frail as breath. How can they be of help to anyone?

2007/12/8 14:00Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.

I was just reading James 5, what a sobering thoughts! Brethren, this is the word of the Lord, that is like hammer and breaks the rocks!

[b]James 5[/b]

Go to now, ye rich men, [b]weep[/b] and howl [b]for your miseries[/b] that shall come upon you.

[b]Your riches are corrupted[/b], and your garments are motheaten.

[b]Your gold and silver is cankered;[/b] and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.

Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.

[b]Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth,[/b] and been wanton*; [b][u]ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.[/u][/b]

Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.

[b]Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord.[/b] Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

[b]Be ye also patient;[/b] stablish your hearts: [b][u]for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.[/u][/b]

Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.

Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, [b]for an example of suffering affliction, and of [u]patience.[/u][/b]

Behold, we count them happy [b]which endure.[/b] Ye have heard of the [b][u]patience[/u][/b] of Job, and [b]have seen the end of the Lord;[/b] that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.

*G4684

σπαταλάω
spataláō; contracted spatalṓ, fut. spatalḗsō, from spatálē (n.f.), luxury in eating and drinking. To live in luxury or pleasure, be self-indulgent. Paul counsels Timothy about the widows that "live in pleasure" or "in self-gratification" (a.t. [1Ti_5:6]). In Jam_5:5 the rich men are warned against being "wanton" in their lifestyle.

2007/12/31 19:10Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

σπαταλάω
spataláō; contracted spatalṓ, fut. spatalḗsō, from spatálē (n.f.), luxury in eating and drinking. To live in luxury or pleasure, be self-indulgent. Paul counsels Timothy about the widows that "live in pleasure" or "in self-gratification" (a.t. [1Ti_5:6]). In Jam_5:5 the rich men are warned against being "wanton" in their lifestyle.

2Th 2:11-12 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. ~ NKJV

2008/1/1 4:04Profile
Lowly

Re:

This is an amazing post! Oh how we need to be aware of these things.
This is also described in 2 Peter 2: 13

"And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to RIOT in the day time. Spots they are and blemishes, SPORTING themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;"

Riot:
truph?
Thayer Definition:
1) softness, effeminate, luxurious living

Sporting:
entrupha?
Thayer Definition:
1) to live in luxury, live delicately or luxuriously, to revel in
2) to take delight in

Verse 14
"Having eyes full of adultery, and that cannot cease from sin; beguiling unstable souls; an heart they have exercised with covetous practices; cursed children;"

ADULTERY - those who relapse into Idolatry
COVETOUS
pleonexia
Thayer Definition:
1) greedy desire to have more, covetousness, avarice

VERSE 15
"WHICH HAVE FORSAKEN THE RIGHT WAY, AND ARE GONE ASTRAY...................following the way of Balaam the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;"

Oh how we need to be watching and praying. And to heed what Peter said, that he would not be negligent to remind us of these things, though we know them, so that we can continue to be established in the present truth.

In His amazing love,
Lowly

2008/1/1 8:50Profile

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
σπαταλάω

2Th 2:11-12 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. ~ NKJV

That's the key verse Brother.

Read in context from verse 1, you see where this is leading.
Rev. 17, 18, Jer, 50, 51, etc..

Thank you and Brother Kire. Sobering thread.

2008/1/1 12:09
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I have latley been very blessed by NLT and comparing with the KJV to dont err in understanding, but I think sometimes NLT just hits it right on and i want to post this passage from the NLT

2Th 2:5-12 Don't you remember that I told you this when I was with you? And you know what is holding him back, for he can be revealed only when his time comes. For this lawlessness is already at work secretly, and it will remain secret until the one who is holding it back steps out of the way. Then the man of lawlessness will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will consume with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. [b]This evil man will come to do the work of Satan with counterfeit power and signs and miracles. He will use every kind of wicked deception to fool those who are on their way to destruction because they refuse to believe the truth that would save them. So God will send great deception upon them, and they will believe all these lies.hen they will be condemned for not believing the truth and for enjoying the evil they do.[/b]

2008/1/1 12:41Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Eze 7:19 They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity.

2008/1/1 12:53Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I have latley been very blessed by NLT and comparing with the KJV to dont err in understanding, but I think sometimes NLT just hits it right on and i want to post this passage from the NLT

I'd like to back-up Christian's assessment of the NLT and say that I also use it alongside the KJV in parallel form. There are quite a few passages I feel it hits with dead-on accuracy and opens whole new vistas of thought.

I think the NLT is unduly stigmatized, underrated; it can be very helpful to an unbiased student of God's Word who wants to soak in as much as he or she can - by any means necessary. But this thread isn't about NLT, so I'll leave it at that.

:-)

Brother Paul

2008/1/1 13:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy