SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : KJV - yes, thats the version for me!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

BlazedbyGod wrote:
Me to Krispy, I am soley in favor of the Word of God KJV.

God is one God, thus he only has one Word.

Hi Bro/Sister Blazed.

I am solely in favour of the Word of God too! Not a translation, not even the KJV, not the words on the page, but what God [i]meant[/i] by the written word when He caused it to be written, and preserved to the present day. And what He's writing on our hearts [i]through[/i] the words when we read them. As well as the central facts about Him and His work of salvation upon which the whole of our faith hangs.

John 6: [i][color=000033]63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
65 And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
67 Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
68 Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
[/color][/i]

in His Truth

Jeannette

2007/8/23 12:40

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Jeannette... I'm not against people discussing politics. Heck, I listen to Glenn Beck most days. I'm just saying that getting into "party politics" is not what this forum is about.

I was saying that too - weren't you listening?

Quote:
No doubt there will be some discussion of government over the next year as we head toward another election... oh boy. I just pray we all keep our heads about us.

You seem to have completely missed the point. This isn't about elections or politics (not even American politics) but of [b][i]discerning the signs of the times through world events, and being ready for what is to come[/i][/b].

Quote:
...But now that I'm older (I'll be 40 next month)...

Krispy lad, I'm old enough to be your mother!

What a thought :-( :-P

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/8/23 12:51

Re:

Quote:
Krispy lad, I'm old enough to be your mother!

Wow... you [i]are[/i] old! When you hiccup, does dust fly out of your mouth?

:-P

Krispy

2007/8/23 13:10
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
Wow... you are old! When you hiccup, does dust fly out of your mouth?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :-P :-D 8-)

Krispy, just picturing this in my mind makes me laugh so hard I don't think I'll be able to get anything done!!!

2007/8/23 13:15Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I am wondering what everyone thinks of the ESV? Also, the Geneva Bible is a very good translation, and thankfully it is available now for affordable prices.

I use a KJV, and find it to be a wonderful translation, yet nothing beats being able to look at the Greek and see what is "really" being said.

2007/8/23 13:18Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I recently bought a copy of the ESV journaling bible and have had fun writing all over it, since that's what it was made for.

You know, sometimes it's hard for me to put a pen to the page of one of my oxford or cambridge bibles... DL Moody would say that unless you're willing to write in a bible you shouldn't buy it.

Anyways, ESV is very good for studying the word, since it's editor was JI Packer it has a very strong reformed bend (words like propitiation might as well have been highlighted). I think JI Packer has a very strong affinity for the KJV so it shows in the final edit of the ESV.

ESV claims to be in the line of KJV and not a 'new' translation as such, I haven't run into anything that has made me think badly of it as of yet.

I traded an extra cambridge bible that I owned directly to RL Allan publishers for a copy of their ESV1. Now that's customer service -even accepting trades!

The ESV1 from RL Allan has a wonderful binding, but the typesetting and paper didn't meet my expectation.

I've heard that crossway bindings are mostly crummy, and the journaling bible's font is microscopic, but I have young eyes.

I think that ESV is a good alternative for the NIV, but not a replacement for the KJV.

2007/8/23 13:30Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
I am wondering what everyone thinks of the ESV? Also, the Geneva Bible is a very good translation, and thankfully it is available now for affordable prices.

I don't even know what they are but would like to find out. Perhaps someone here could tell me?

Quote:
yet nothing beats being able to look at the Greek and see what is "really" being said.

I have Jay P. Green's interlinear Bible which I enjoy using along side my KJV. It is of great benefit to have the greek and hebrew there to reference. Although it took me awhile to remember that with the hebrew you've gotta read backwards! :-P

2007/8/23 13:31Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

ESV is the English Standard Version. You could probably liken it to the conservative evangelical response to the NRSV.

ESV claims that they stand in the line of bibles that come out of the KJV, you can read more about that here: http://www.esv.org/about/kjv

More information here:
http://www.esv.org/
http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Standard_Version
http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/index.php?action=getVersionInfo&vid=47

2007/8/23 13:39Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Another way that I've described it is 'like the NASB, but prettier... and reformed.'

2007/8/23 13:46Profile

Re:

I just read the suggested website concerning the ESV. They are being a little bit dishonest... or they are at least not telling the whole story.

The ESV is NOT in the same vein as the KJV because it is not based on the same underlying manuscripts as the KJV. It is based on the exact same underlying text as the NIV, the NASB, the Message, etc etc etc.

It is not a Textus Receptus Bible... and they leave that out. They dont tell you that part. Instead, they make it appear to the reader that all that has changed is the language has been updated. However, when they say "[b]and significant corrections were made in the translation of key texts[/b]", that is code for "where the TR (KJV) doesnt agree with the Alexandrian Text (NIV, NASB, etc)... we went with the Alexandrian."

It does not mean they fixed translation errors... it means they superceded the TR with the AT.

While it may be in the same vein as the KJV in that they used the same translation techniques... they are [b]not[/b] translating the same thing. I could translate a John Grisham novel into French using the same translation techniques... and rightfully claim that it's in the same vein as the KJV. But it isnt the same book.

And this is why I reject the ESV. It is an excellent translation of the Alexandrian. But I reject the Alexandrian Text... so to me, that means nothing.

I found that web page to be dishonest and deceitful. They are not giving you all the facts. That to me is a red flag. Why cant the publishers just come out and tell people "Look... this is not based on the same thing the KJV is based on." They refuse to do that. And the average Christian is ignorant that there is even an issue.

But why do they hide these facts? Makes one wonder.

Krispy

2007/8/23 14:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy