SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Does God love or hate sinners?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Does God love or hate sinners?

Psalm 5:5 (King James Version)

5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

Does He hate sinners?

Does He love sinners?

What say you guys...and gals

2007/4/5 21:56Profile

Re: Does God love or hate sinners?

both?

2007/4/5 22:08
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I have never thought about it like that, but I think that 'both' would be correct.

God so loved the world...tasted death for every man...God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

...but also...

I have hated them that regard lying vanities...The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth...I hate them with perfect hatred

2007/4/5 23:20Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Does God love or hate sinners?

How many times have you heard "God hates the sin, but loves the sinner"?

There are scriptures that say he hates sinners.

Has this been preached wrongly?

Does anyone have any good teachings on this issue they could share?

2007/4/6 0:13Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=8309]The Wrath of God by Charles Leiter[/url]

cover some of this issue, not everything but i think this sermon is a great one about Gods wrath and anger and hatred for sin and sinners.

2007/4/6 3:32Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the real question is do YOU love sinners?jimp

2007/4/6 4:01Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

I have to agree with the reply both.

If a sinner is unrepentant, they are treasuring up for themselves wrath in the day of wrath, Rom 2v5.

If repentant, like we have repented from our sins, then God adopts us as his children,
Rom 8v14-17.

How is it possible, scripturally, to destroy the sin without destroying the sinner?

The apostle Paul perhaps?

But somehow, I don't see that as valid. Maybe it is, he was as he says himself, the chief of sinners.

God bless.

2007/4/6 4:04Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:

jimp wrote:
hi, the real question is do YOU love sinners?jimp

Psalms 139:21,22

21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

2007/4/6 8:46Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Did Jesus hate Peter when Peter denied Him? Remember, Peter transgressed the 9th commandment by bearing false witness, claiming he didn't know who Jesus was. Did the Lord hate Him (or love him any less)? Why are so many bent on this "hatred" of God toward sinners; it's almost as if they relish in reminding everyone this, as if they had a personal agenda. There is such a fine line, and one slight shift can find you on the wrong side, grossly misrepresenting God. This is a Biblical concept that has been so twisted and convoluted and man-polluted that it must truly grieve God every time a "hate" scripture is invoked by a tearless pontificator or by a heart that has yet to have a revelation of God's bleeding love for sinners.

I see over and over and over again in scripture how much compassion Jesus had, how gentle and loving and forgiving he was toward adultresses and publicans and thieves. It was the religious hypocrites and the self-righteous who saw themselves right with God and perfect that he had contention with. We really have to be so careful when we deal with the topic of how "God hates sinners" and not be found using it in the wrong spirit.

2007/4/6 9:16Profile
roadsign

Re: love or/and hate

Hi, tj,
I think that this same topic came up recently in another thread. It certainly is a topic worth considering.

There is a book around called, "When You Hate the Ones you Love". (something like that). That title suggests that it is entirely possible to both love and hate at the same time. In fact, I think you can't have one without the other.

We seem to crave putting concepts into catagories - either/or, but, I fear that in doing that we sever balanced truth, and risk forming partial doctrines, or distorted views of God. That would be my fear of this question.

Consider "judgment" and "mercy". They partner together. Mercy is irrelevent appart from judgmnet; and judgment is mere cruelty apart from mercy.

What also makes your question a challenge is the fact that there is a confused understanding of "love" : It can mean almost anything. I think 'hate' is also a fuzzy word.

I realize that I haven't been much help, but, perhaps the only way to understand God's views of mankind is to study the Bible - without extracting any particular verses - just trying to gain a perception of the wider picture.

O the depths of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God!
How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out!
who has known the mind of the Lord? ..."

Diane

2007/4/6 9:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy