SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How to Get the Most from Reading your Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Beware of light reading!

from Horatius Bonar's book, "FOLLOW THE LAMB"

Beware of light reading!
Shun novels; they are the literary curse of
the age. If you are a parent, keep novels
out of the way of your children. But whether
you are a parent or not, neither read them
yourself, nor set an example of novel reading
to others. Don't let novels lie on your table,
or be seen in your hand. This light reading
has done deep injury to many a young man
and woman.

The light literature of the day is working
a world of harm; vitiating the taste of the
young, enervating their minds, unfitting
them for life's plain work, eating out their
love of the Bible, teaching them a false
morality, and creating in the soul an unreal
standard of truth, and beauty, and love.

Let your reading be always select; and
whatever you read, begin with seeking
God's blessing on it.

[i][b][font=Georgia].But see that your relish for the Bible be above
every other enjoyment, and the moment you
begin to feel greater relish for any other book,
lay it down till you have sought deliverance from
such a snare[/font][/b][/i], and obtained from the Holy Spirit
an intenser relish, a keener appetite for the
Word of God.

2007/4/10 4:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Here are some of my favourite quotes from the thread, and the reasons why.

The most humorous:
'The Bible is definately infallible, how else could it survive so many years of bad preaching?' Leonard Ravenhill.

The most politically incorrect, (for this day and age that is):
'The Bible itself is intolerant, and true followers of God's word should be as well'

Bob Jones 111

A warning:
'Beware of reasoning about God's word - obey it.'

Oswald Chambers.

The most serious:
Peace is such a precious jewel that I would give anything for it- but truth.

Matthew Henry (1662-1714)

These were just my own observations.

God bless.

2007/4/10 5:08Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

The reading of novels is indeed a snare, but then, they didn't have tv or the internet to contend with as well.

Glossy colour magazines are of no use to the Christian life. They have opinions and articles that oppose the word of God.

Acts 6v4, 'But we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.

God bless.

2007/4/10 5:19Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

some scriptures from scripture about studying the scriptures :-)

Act 17:11 And these were more noble than those of Thessalonica, in that they received the Word with all readiness of mind and searched the Scriptures daily to see if those things were so.

Pro 1:2 to know wisdom and instruction; to recognize the words of understanding;
Pro 1:3 to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and uprightness;
Pro 1:4 to give sense to the simple, knowledge and judgment to the young man;
Pro 1:5 the wise hears and increases learning; and understanding ones get wisdom;
Pro 1:6 to understand a proverb and its meaning; the words of the wise, and their acute sayings.
Pro 1:7 The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge; but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Pro 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of your father, and forsake not the law of your mother;

Pro 9:9 Give to a wise one, and he will be still wiser; teach a just one, and he will increase in learning.
Pro 9:10 The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom; and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

Psa 1:2 But his delight is only in the Law of Jehovah; and in His Law he meditates day and night.

Psa 119:97 MEM: Oh how I love Your Law! It is my meditation all the day.

Psa 119:100 I understand more than the old men, because I keep Your Commandments.

Psa 119:148 My eyes go before the night watches, so that I might think on Your Word.

Isa 8:20 To the Law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this Word, it is because no light is in them.

Isa 34:16 Seek out of the book of Jehovah, and read; not one of these shall fail, none shall lack its mate; for My mouth has commanded, and His Spirit has gathered them.

Luk 16:29 Abraham said to him, They have Moses and the Prophets, let them hear them.

Luk 24:44 And He said to them, These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and in the Prophets and in the Psalms about Me.

Joh 3:21 But he who practices truth comes to the Light so that his works may be revealed, that they exist, having been worked in God.

Joh 5:38 And you do not have His Word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He has sent.
Joh 5:39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life. And they are the ones witnessing of Me,
Joh 5:40 and you will not come to Me that you might have life.

2Ti 3:15 and that from a babe you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise to salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.
2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be perfected, thoroughly furnished to every good work.

1Pe 1:10 About which salvation the prophets sought out and searched out, prophesying concerning the grace for you;
1Pe 1:11 searching for what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ made clear within them, testifying beforehand of the sufferings of Christ, and the glories that should follow.
1Pe 1:12 To them it was revealed that not to themselves, but to us, they ministered the things which are now reported to you by those who have preached the gospel to you in the Holy Spirit sent from Heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.
1Pe 1:13 Therefore girding up the loins of your mind, being sober, perfectly hope for the grace being brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ,

2Pe 1:19 We also have a more sure Word of prophecy, to which you do well to take heed, as to a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the Daystar arises in your hearts,
2Pe 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of the Scripture came into being of its own private interpretation.
2Pe 1:21 For prophecy was not borne at any time by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke being borne along by the Holy Spirit.

1Jn 4:5 They are of the world, therefore they speak of the world, and the world hears them.
1Jn 4:6 We are of God. He who knows God hears us. The one who is not of God does not hear us. From this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

2007/4/10 7:05Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

These scriptures ar not about studying the scriptures, but the results of doing so.

Psalm 119v9, 'How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to Your word.

Psalm 119v11, Your word I have hidden in my heart that I might not sin against You.

Makes you wonder about the end result of not studying God's word.

Scripture does say, but I won't go into that.

God bless.

2007/4/10 7:33Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i love that 119 psalm, one man said to me, every new Christian should read that psalm every day until it is a reality in their life's.

2007/4/10 10:25Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: How to Get the Most from Reading your Bible

"How to Use This Word"

From C. H. Spurgeon, Spiritual Warfare in the Believers Life,

(Lynnwood, Washington: Emerald Books, 1993), pp. 77-83.

Notice first that Jesus used the Word to defend His Sonship. The fiend said, "If Thou be the Son of God," and Jesus replied, "It is written." That was the only answer He needed to give. Jesus did not call to mind evidences to prove His Sonship. He did not even mention that voice out of the excellent glory that had said, "This is My beloved Son." No, but "It is written."

I do not doubt but that you have been already subjected to the infernal "if." How glibly it comes from Satan's lip. It is his darling word, the favorite arrow of his quiver. Satan is the prince of skeptics, who worship him while he laughs in his sleeve at them, for he believes and trembles. One of his greatest works of mischief is to make men doubt. "If "-- with that sneer he whispers this already in the ear. Never let Satan get you away from the solid ground of the Word of God. If he once gets you to think that the fact of Christ being the Savior of sinners can only be proved by what you can see within yourself, he will plunge you into despair.

The reason that I am to believe in Jesus lies in Jesus and not in me. I am not to say, "I believe in the Lord Jesus because I feel so happy," for within half an hour I may feel miserable; but I believe in Christ because it is written, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved" (Acts 16:31). I believe in the salvation provided by Jesus Christ not because it always agrees with my reason or suits my frame of mind but because it is written, "He that believeth on him is not condemned" (John 3:18). Nothing can alter this truth; it stands and must stand forever. Believer, abide by it, come what may. Satan will say, "You know there are many evidences; show me one." Tell him to mind his own business. He will say, "You know how imperfectly you have behaved, even since conversion." Tell him that he is not so wonderfully perfect that he can afford to find fault with you. If he says, "Ah, but if you were really a changed character you would not have those thoughts or feelings," argue not at all with him but dwell upon the fact that it is written, "Jesus Christ came into the world to save sinners" (1 Tim. 1:15).

"It is written." Stand upon it, and if the devil were fifty devils in one, he could not overcome you. On the other hand, if you leave "It is written," Satan knows more about reasoning than you do. He is far older, has studied mankind very thoroughly, and knows all our weak points. Therefore, the contest win be an unequal one. Do not argue with him but wave in his face the banner of God's Word. Satan cannot endure the infallible truth, for it is death to the falsehood of which he is the father.

Our Lord next used the Scripture to defeat temptation. He was tempted to distrust. There lay stones at His feet, there was no bread, and He was hungry. Distrust said, "God has left you; you will starve; therefore, stop being a servant, become a master, and command that these stones be made bread." Jesus, however, met the temptation confidently trusting God's Word. If you are placed by providence where you think you will be in need and are afraid that God will not provide for you, the dark suggestion will arise, "Whatever it takes, I must find a way to put myself in comfortable circumstances." True, the action would be wrong, but many do it, and therefore Satan whispers, "Necessity has no law; take the opportunity now before you." In such an hour, foil the enemy with "It is written, 'Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed'" (Ps. 37:3). In that way only can you safely meet the temptation to distrust.

Then Satan tempted the Lord to presumption. "If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down," said he (Matt. 4:6). But Christ had a Scripture ready to parry his thrust. Many are tempted to presume. "You are one of God's elect, you cannot perish; you may therefore go into sin; you have no need to be careful, since you cannot fall finally and fatally" -- so Satan whispers. If we are at any time tempted to yield to such specious pleadings, let us remember, it is written, "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation" (Matt. 26:41). It is written, "Keep thine heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of fife" (Prov. 4:23). It is written, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect" (Matt. 5:48). Begone, Satan. We dare not sin because of the mercy of God. That were indeed a diabolical return for His goodness. We abhor the idea of sinning that grace might abound.

Then will Satan attack us with the temptation to be traitors to our God by worshipping other gods. "Worship me," says he, "and your reward will be great." He sets before us some earthly object that he would have us idolize, some selfish aim that he would have us pursue. At that time, our only defense is the sure word, It is written, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength" (Mark 12:30). "Ye are not your own, ye are bought with a price" (1 Cor. 6:20). "Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service" (Rom. 12:1). "Little children, keep yourselves from idols" (1 John 5:21). Quoting such words as those with all our hearts, we shall not fall. We must keep from sin. If Christ has indeed saved us from sin, we cannot bear the thought of falling into it. Those who take delight in sin are not the children of God. If you are a child of God, you hate it with a perfect hatred, and your very soul loathes it. To keep you from sin, arm yourselves with this most holy and pure Word of God which shall cleanse your way and make your heart obedient to the voice of the thrice-holy God.

Next our Lord used the Word as a direction to His way. This is a very important point. Too many direct their way by what they call providences. They do wrong things and they say, "It seemed such a providence." I wonder whether Jonah, when he went down to Joppa to flee to Tarshish, considered it a providence that a ship was about to sail. If so, he was like too many nowadays who seek to lay their guilt upon God by declaring that they felt bound to act as they did, for providence suggested it. Our Lord was not guided as to what He should do by the circumstances around Him. Anyone but our Lord would have obeyed the tempter and felt it was providence to turn the stones into bread. It was a providence, but it was a testing providence. When you are tempted to do wrong to relieve your necessities, say to yourself, "This providence is testing me but by no means indicates to me what I ought to do, for my rule is, 'It is written.' " If you make apparent providence your guide, you will make a thousand mistakes, but if you follow "It is written," your steps will be wisely ordered.

Nor are we to make our special gifts and special privileges our guide. Christ is on the pinnacle of the temple, and it is possible that if He had chosen to cast Himself down He could have done so safely, but He did not make His special privileges a reason for presumption. While it is true that the saints are kept by the power of God, I am not to presume upon a doctrine; I am to obey the precept. For a man to say, "I am a child of God, I am safe, and therefore I live as I want," would be to prove that he is no child of God at all, for the children of God do not turn the grace of God into licentiousness. That can only be the devil's logic.

Satan tried to make his own personal advantage our Lord's guide. "All these things will I give thee," said he, but Christ did not order His acts for His own personal advantage but replied, "It is written." Well might He have said, "If I fall down and perform this small act, all the kingdoms of the earth will be Mine! There are all those poor oppressed slaves; I could set them free. The hungry and the thirsty, I would supply their needs. Indeed, that is the very thing I am about to die for, and if it is to be done so easily by bowing the knee to this spirit, why not do it?" Far, far removed was our Lord from the wicked spirit of compromise. Though the whole world would be at His disposal, He would not compromise. "It is written" was His guide, not His usefulness or personal advantage.

Believer, it will sometimes happen that to do the right thing will appear to be most disastrous. It will shipwreck your fortune and bring you into trouble, but I charge you do the right thing at any cost. Instead of your being honored and respected and accounted a leader in the church, you may be regarded as eccentric if you speak straight out; but speak straight out and never mind what comes of it. You and I have nothing to do with what becomes of us or our reputations or with what becomes of the world or of heaven itself. Our one business is to do our Father's will. "It is written" is to be our rule. With dogged obstinacy as men call it, but with resolute consecration as God esteems it, through the mire and through the slough, through the flood and through the flame, follow Jesus and the Word infallible.

Note further that our Lord used "It is written" for maintaining His own Spirit. I love to think of the calmness of Christ. Christ is not the least flurried. He is hungry, and He is told to create bread, and He answers, "It is written." He is lifted to the temple's summit, but He says, "It is written" just as calmly as you and I might do sitting in an easy chair. There He is with the whole world beneath His feet, gazing on its splendor, but He is not dazzled. "It is written" is still His quiet answer. Nothing makes a man self-contained, cool, and equal to every emergency like always falling back upon the infallible Book and remembering the declaration of Jehovah, who cannot lie.

The last thought on this point is that our Lord teaches us that the use of Scripture is to vanquish the enemy and chase him away. "Go," said He to the fiend, "for it is written." You too shall chase away temptation if you keep firmly to this: "God said it, God promised it; God cannot lie, whose very word of grace is strong as that which built the skies."

How Christ Handled the Word

How are we to handle this sword of "It is written"? First, with deepest reverence. Let every word that God has spoken be law and gospel to you. Never trifle with it; never try to evade its force or change its meaning. God speaks to you in this book as much as if He came to the top of Sinai and lifted up His voice with thunder. I like to open the Bible and pray, "Lord God, let the words leap off the page into my soul; make them vivid, powerful, and fresh to my heart." Our Lord Himself felt the power of the Word. It was not so much the devil who felt the power of "It is written" as Christ Himself. The manhood of Christ felt an awe of the Word of God, and so the Word became a power to Christ. To trifle with Scripture is to deprive yourself of its aid. Reverence it, and look up to God with devout gratitude for having given it to you.

Next have it always ready. Our Lord as soon as He was assailed had His answer prepared: "It is written." Have the Scriptures at your fingertips. Better still, have them in the center of your heart. It is a good thing to store the memory with many passages of the Word -- the very words themselves. Our Savior knew so much of Holy Scripture that out of one single book - the book of Deuteronomy - obtained all the texts with which He fought the wilderness battle. He had a wider range, for the Old Testament was before Him, but He kept to one book, as if to let Satan know that He was not short of ammunition. If the devil chose to continue the temptation, the Lord had abundant defense in reserve. "It is written" is an armory wherein hang a thousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men. It is not merely one but a thousand, nay, ten thousand weapons of war. It has texts of every kind, suitable for our aid in every emergency and effectual for repelling every attack. Study the Word of God and have it ready at your side when the father of lies approaches.

Endeavor also to understand its meaning and so to understand it that you can discern between its meaning and its perversion. Half the mischief in the world -- and perhaps more -- is done not by an ostensible lie but by a perverted truth. The devil, knowing this, takes a text of Scripture, clips it, adds to it, and attacks Christ with it. Our Lord did not therefore despise Scripture because the devil himself might quote it, but He answered him with a flaming text right in his face. He did not say, "The other is not written, you have altered it," but He gave him a taste of what "It is written" really was, and so confounded him. You can do the same. Search the Word, get the true taste of it in your mouth, and acquire discernment so that when you say, "It is written," you may not be making a mistake. Texts of Scripture out of context, twisted and perverted, are not "It is written," but the plain meaning of the Word should be known and understood. Read the Word and pray for the anointing of the Holy Spirit that you may know the Word's meaning, for so will you contend against the foe.

And learn to appropriate Scripture to yourself. One of the texts our Lord quoted He slightly altered. "Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God." The original text is, "Ye shall not tempt the Lord your God." But the singular lies in the plural, and it is always a blessed thing to be able to find it there. Learn so to use Scripture that you take home to yourself all its teaching, all its precepts, all its promises, all its doctrines, for bread on the table does not nourish; it is bread that you eat that will really sustain you.

When you have appropriated the texts to yourself, stand by them whatever they may cost you. If to give up the text would enable you to make stones into bread, do not give it up. If to reject the precept would enable you to fly through the air like a seraph, do not reject it. If to go against the Word of God would make you emperor of the entire world, do not accept the bribes. Go as far as the Bible but not an inch beyond it. Though Calvin should beckon you, and you esteem him, or Wesley should beckon, and you esteem him, keep to the Scripture only. If your minister should go astray, pray that he may be brought back again, but do not follow him. Though we or an angel from heaven preach any other gospel than this book teaches you, do not give any heed to us -- no, not for a single moment. Here is the only infallibility: the Holy Ghost's witness in this book.

Remember, lastly, that your Lord at this time was filled with the Spirit. Jesus being filled with the Spirit went to be tempted (Matt. 4:16-5:1). The Word of God apart from the Spirit of God will be of no use to you. If you cannot understand a book, do you know the best way to reach its meaning? Write the author and ask him what he meant. If you have a book to read and you have the author always accessible, you need not complain that you do not understand it. The Holy Spirit has come to abide with us forever. Search the Scriptures, but cry for the Spirit's light and live under His influence. So Jesus fought the old dragon, "being filled with the Spirit." He smote Leviathan through with this weapon because the Spirit of God was upon Him. Go with the Word of God like a two-edged sword in your hand, but before you enter the battlefield, pray the Holy Ghost to baptize you into Himself; so shall you overcome all your adversaries and triumph even to the end.

2007/4/10 14:51Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

The Scriptures
The Book of the Lord,
and the Diligent Study and Search Thereof Recommended
by the
Rev. Thomas Boston

Isaiah 34:16.--Seek ye out of the book of the Lord, and read : no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.

Having considered the divine authority of the holy scriptures, and their scope, I come now to recommend unto you the diligent study and search of these sacred oracles, from the text now read.
In the former part of this chapter, there are most terrible threatenings denounced against the enemies of God and his church, which receive not their full accomplishment till the last day, as appears from ver. 4, 10. In the text there is the confirmation of the whole. And therein we have,

1. An intimation that all shall be accomplished according to the word. Wherein two things are to be observed.
(1.) The study of the word required. Where we may notice, (1.) The hononrable epithet given to it, The book of the Lord. Thus the holy scripture is called, as being of divine original and authority, God himself being the author of it. It is true, that in Isaiah's days, even the canon of the Old Testament was not completed, some of the historical books, and of the prophetical too, not being then written. But the body of the doctrine of the word was comprised in the law, or five books of Moses; and what was afterwards written, was but a building on that foundation, by enlargement, explication, and application; And this prophecy looking as far as the end of the world, the Spirit of God might here have an eye to the complete canon of the Old and New Testament. [2.] The study of it recommended, Seek: out of it. The word signifies to inquire, search, seek out; and imports diligence and earnestness in consulting a thing to learn from it. And so it is emphatically pointed, to denote a vehemency and intenseness of spirit in the study. It does in a great measure answer that word, Acts 7:11--Searched the scriptures. We are not only to seek from it, but out of it, or, as the Hebrew signifies, from in it, or, as in the Greek, to it, and seek from it. [3.] The way to study, read it. Do not satisfy yourselves to hear if, but read it with your own eyes. For the eye makes ordinarily deeper impression than the ear.
(2.) The accomplishment in the most minute circumstance. [1.] Whereas the Lord had named a great many horrible creatures that should possess the dwellings of his enemies, none of then shall fail, they shall all be there.[2.] Whereas he had said they should have their mates, that so their binds might be continued there, none of them shall want their mate for that purpose.

2. The confirmation or reason of this accomplishment according to the word. and it hath two parts, namely, that he has spoken the one, and will effectuate the other.
(1.) Himself has spoken the word: My mouth it hath, commanded. His truth is engaged for its accomplishment. He has commanded, not these creatures, but the word or book, as Psal. 105: 8.--The word he commanded: and God is said to command his word, for that he gives it as a lawgiver, of supreme authority. And so this answers to the first part of the intimation.
(2.) He will effectuate the thing in accomplishment of the word: His spirit will gather these creatures. So his power is engaged to make it forthcoming. There seems to be here a remarkable change of the persons. But I am mistaken if the mouth of the Lord be not one of the names of Christ in the scripture: Thus, Isa. 62: 2. 'Thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name.' Jer. 23:16. " They speak--not out of the mouth of the Lord.' Compare John 1. 18. 'No man hath seen God at any time: the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.' Heb, 1:1, 2. 'God who at sundry times, and in divers manners, spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son.' And so the words run very plainly and exactly according to the original, For my mouth he hath commanded, and his Spirit it hath gathered them.
Two doctrines naturally arise from the words, viz.

Doct. I. 'The holy scripture is the book of the Lord.'
Doct. II. " The scripture is a book to be read, carefully, and diligently searched, consulted, and sought into.'
As it is the last of these doctrines I mainly intend to discourse upon, I shall be very brief in the illustration of the first: and though some things to be spoken upon it interfere with what has been already delivered, I hope it will tend to your establishment in the truth, and the more endear the holy scripture to you.

Doct. I. 'The holy scripture is the book of the Lord.'
All I intend upon this head is to show,

I. In what respects the holy scripture is the book of the Lord.

II.That it is so.

III. Make a short improvement.

I. My first province is to show in what respects the holy scripture is the book of the Lord.
1. The Lord is the subject-matter of that book, as the book of the wars of the Lord. It is the commendation of a book, that it treats of a noble subject; and this book treats of God, the great scope of it being to show what God is, and what his will is. Hence we are commanded to 'hold fast the form of sound words,' 2 Tim. 1:13. If we would know God, and our duty to him, we must turn to this book and learn it.

2. The Lord is the author of it, 2 Tim. 3:16. 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God.' And who was fit to make a book on that noble subject but himself? John 1:18. forecited. It is the product of his own unerring Spirit, and so his own book in a most proper sense. It is for this reason that it is called 'the book of the Lord.' It is true, several hands were employed in the writing of it; but yet all and every part of it was from the Lord.
(1.) The motion to write was from the Lord, by a particular impulse on the spirits of the holy penmen, which influenced them to the work, and carried them on it, 2 Pet. 1:21. 'Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.' Sometimes they had particular express calls, but they had always this motion powerfully determining and inclining them to the work.
(2.) The matter of their writing was from him. He laid it to their hands, 2 Tim. 3:16. 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God.' Some things were matters of pure revelation, that could not be known otherwise; such as things past, whereof there was no manner of record, things to come, things without the reach of men's knowledge, as the thoughts of others. These things they had by immediate suggestion. Some things they might have by other records, their own judgment, or memory. In these the Spirit of the Lord infallibly guided them what to chose and refuse, strengthened their judgment and memories, so that they could not mistake, John 16:13. 'The Spirit of truth--will guide you into all truth.
(3) The very words they wrote were from him. Since the apostles spoke the very words of the Holy Ghost, much more did they write them, 1 Cor. 2:13. And therefore God is said to speak by and in the holy penmen, 2 Sam. 23:2. Luke 1:70. Acts 1:16. He did not give them the matter to put in their own words, but put the words in their hearts too, but in a manner suited to their native style. And truly it is hard to conceive how the inspiration of the holy scriptures could reach the end without it, seeing so much depends on the suitable expressing of matter.

II. I proceed to show, that the holy scripture is the book of the Lord. This is evident from many things, of which I shall only observe a few.
1. This book discovers what no mortal could ever have done, and nowise could be had but by divine revelation, as the history of the creation, what was done before man was on the earth, the sublime mysteries of the Trinity of the incarnation of the Son of God, and the eternal counsels of God concerning man's salvation.
2. The perfect holiness of the doctrine. It commands all holiness, forbids all impurity in heart and life, under the pain of damnation: which shows it could neither be the work of men, being so far above their reach, and cross to their corrupt nature; nor of evil angels, being so opposite to Satan's kingdom; nor of good ones, who could never have put a cheat on the world, making their own words pass for God's.
3. The efficacy of the doctrine in its searching and convincing the conscience, Heb. 4: 12.; converting souls from their most beloved lusts, even when nothing can be expected from the world for such a change, Psal. 19: 7.; rejoicing the heart under the deepest distresses, ver. 8. This is not from any virtue in the letters or syllables, but from the Spirit, whose instrument it is.
4. The miracles wherewith it has been confirmed. These were wrought to confirm the doctrine, Mat. 9:6. These are God's seal, which he will never put to a lie.
5. Lastly, There is an inward sensation of this in the spirits of those that have their senses exercised. For it is not to be doubted, but as the works of God bear the marks of a divine hand, so his word also does. And while there are such manifest differences betwixt one voice and another of men, how can it be thought, but the voice of God has a peculiar signature on it? If that be not discerned by others, it is by his own people that know his voice.

I shall now make a short improvement of this point.
Use 1. For information. It informs us, that,
1. The scripture is the best of books. They who heard Christ, said, 'Never man spake like this man:' and they that see the true glory of the scriptures must own, never did any write like these writings. There we have the true picture of the great Author, in spotless holiness; there the revelation of his mind with respect to our salvation. Whatever other books there be in the world relating to our salvation; they are but dim tapers lighted at this burning lamp.
2. They are enemies to God that are enemies to the scriptures, whether in their principles, as Papists and others, or in their practices. For if men loved God, they would love his word, Psal. 119: 97. And men, by their relish of the word, may know what case their souls are in. For according as they relish the scriptures, so is it with their souls. If they have lost the gust of them, it is evident that either they have no grace, or that it is not in exercise.
3. Woe to those whom the Bible condemns; and these are all wicked men and hypocrites, whatever their stations or professions be. But happy they whom it approves and justifies; and these are all the sincere seekers of God. Seek to be of the number of the latter, and then none of the woes denounced in God's word shall fall upon you.

USE II. Of exhortation.
1. Let us highly prize this book for the sake of the author. The Ephesians thought that they had good ground to be zealous for the image of Diana, because they fancied it fell down from Jupiter, Acts 19:35. Your Bible is a book really come from God; let us be ashamed we do not prize it more, by using it diligently to the ends for which if was given the church.
2. Let us believe it in all the parts thereof; the commands, that we may study to conform ourselves to them; the promises, that we may thereby be encouraged to a holy life; and the threatenings, that we may thereby be deterred from sin. Alas ! though we own it to be the word of God, that we are no more moved with it than if it were the word of man, and such a man as we give little credit to. For compare the lives of the most part with it they say, it is but idle tales.
3. Let us submit our souls to it, as the oracles of the living God. He is the great Lawgiver, and in that book he speaks: let us own his authority in his word, and submit to it as the rule of our faith and life, without disputing or opposing.
4. Lastly, Let us study to be well acquainted with it, and make it our business to search the scriptures. This brings me to the main thing I intend.

DOCT. II. " The scripture is a book to be read, carefully and diligently searched, consulted, and sought into."
If ye ask, by whom this is to be done ? it is by all into whose hands, by the mercy of God, it comes. Some never had it, and so they will not be condemned for slighting it, Rom. 2:12. Magistrates are called to look into it, and be much conversant in it, Josh. 1:8. 'This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth, but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayst observe to do according to all that is written therein. Deut. 17:18, 19. 'And it shall be, when he sitteth upon the throne of his kingdom, that he shall write him a copy of this law in a book, out of that which is before the priests the Levites. And it shall be with him, and he shall read therein all the days of his life; that he may learn to fear the Lord his God, to keep all the words of this law, and these statutes, to do them.' Ministers are in a special manner called to the study of it, 1 Tim. 4:13. 'Give attendance to reading. 2 Tim. 3:16, 17.' All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.' But not they only are so commanded, but all others within the church, John 5:39. 'Search the scriptures.' Deut. 6:6, 7. " These words which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart. And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.'

In discoursing further from this point, I shall,

I. Explain this seeking into the book of the Lord.

II. Give the reasons of the doctrine.

III. Make application.

I. I am to explain this seeking into the book of the Lord. And here I will show,
1. What is presupposed in this seeking.
2. What is the import of a studious inquiry into the scriptures.
First, I am to show what is presupposed in this seeking into the book of the Lord. It presupposes,
1. That man has lost his way, and needs direction to find it, Psal. 119: 176. 'I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant.' Miserable man is bemisted in a vain world, which is a dark place, and has as much need of the scriptures to direct him, as one has of a light in darkness, 2 Pet. 1:19. What a miserable case is that part of the world in that want the Bible ? They are vain in their imaginations, and grope in the dark, but cannot find the way of salvation. In no better case are those to whom it has not come in power.
2. That man is in hazard of being led farther and farther wrong. This made the spouse say, 'Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for Why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions ? There is a subtle devil, a wicked world, corrupt lusts within one's own breast, to lead him out of the right way, that we had need to give over, and take this guide. There are many false lights in the world, which, if followed, will lead the traveller into a mire, and leave him there.
3. That men are slow of heart to understand the mind of God in His word. It win cost searching diligently ere we can take it up, John 5:39. Our eyes are dim to the things of God, our apprehensions dull, and our judgment is weak. And therefore, because the iron is blunt, we must put too the more strength. We lost the sharpness of our sight in spiritual things in Adam; and our corrupt wills and carnal affections, that savour not the things of God, do more blind our judgments: and therefore it is a labour to us to find out what is necessary for our salvation.
4. That the book of the Lord has its difficulties which are not to be easily solved. Therefore the Psalmist prays, 'Open thou mine eyes, that I may see wondrous things out of thy law,' Psal. 119: 18. Philip asked the eunuch,' Understandest thou what thou readest ? And he said, how can I, except some man should guide me ? ' There are depths there wherein an elephant may swim, and will exercise the largest capacities, with all the advantages they may be possessed of. God in his holy providence has so ordered it, to stain the pride of all glory; to make his word the liker himself, whom none can search out to perfection, and to sharpen the diligence of his people in their inquiries into it.
5. That we need highly to understand it, otherwise we would not be bidden search into it. 'Of the times and seasons (says the apostle), ye have no need that I write unto you;' and therefore he wrote not of them. There is a treasure in this field; we are called to dig for it; for tho' it be hid, yet we must have it, or we will pine away in our spiritual poverty.
6. Lastly, That we may gain from it by diligent inquiry. The holy humble heart will not be always sent empty away from these wells of salvation, when it plies itself to draw. There are shallow places in these waters of the sanctuary, where lambs may wade.

SECONDLY, I proceed to show what is the import of a studious inquiry into the scriptures. This holds out the matter and manner of the duty.
First, As for the matter of the duty; it lies in three things.
1. We should be capable to read the scriptures distinctly. Alas ! How shall they study the book of God that cannot so much as read it? Isa. 29:12. It is sad to think that there are among Christians who call God their Father, and cannot read his testament; who say they would be at heaven, and yet cannot consult the directions for the way. And if their parents have neglected to teach them, they have not the grace to make up that by their own industry. Their case is little better that cannot read it distinctly; for without that there can be little benefit got by it. Neh. 8:8.
2. We should acquaint ourselves with the letter of the scriptures, the histories, prophecies, precepts, &c. This Timothy is commended for, 'that from a child he had known the holy scriptures,' 2 Tim. 3:15. That is the sacred field where the treasure lies; the blessed body, where the soul of the scripture lodgeth; the words wherein the mind of God towards sinners is held forth, Mat. 13:52.
3. We ought to labour to understand the mind of God in them, and that savingly and spiritually. Wisdom lies in the book of the Lord; and see what course we should take to get at it, Prov, 2:4, 5. 'If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures: then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord; and find the knowledge of God.' To read the scriptures just for reading's sake, without labouring to understand what ye read, is very unprofitable work. Nay we should search narrowly till we find the sense and meaning of what we read, as one that digs deep, breaks the clods of earth, till he finds the golden ore.

Secondly, As to the manner of the duty; it imports,
1. A high esteem of the treasure to be found in the book of the Lord, Matth. 13:44. People will not be at the pains to seek into what they do not value. If men did not prize gold, they would not rip up the bowels of the earth for it. It is the undervaluing of the scriptures that makes people so little to study and seek into them.
2. A design of spiritual profit by the scripture. No wise man will be at pains but to gain thereby. And he that would aright study the holy scriptures, must design his soul's advantage thereby. We should come to the reading of the book of the Lord, as to a soul-feast, Psal. 119: 131; its to the gathering of spoil after battle, Psal. 119: 162. Some read the scriptures to furnish their heads with notions of the things of religion, and their tongues with talk about them; but read ye for holiness to your hearts, and to rule your walk thereby. Some read them to support their errors, and some for matter of jest and drollery; which are horrible work. But 'search ye the scriptures: for in them ye will find eternal life; and they are they that testify of Christ,' John 5:39.
3. A serious application of the heart to the work; for it will not be a by-hand work, Psal. 1: 2. In the scriptures God speaks to us, as in prayer we speak to God; and when God speaks, we should listen attentively. The angels pry into scripture-mysteries, 1 Pet. 1:12. So should we into the scriptures, James 1:25.
4. Painfulness in the study. Silver and gold are not to be gathered up by every lazy passenger from the surface of the earth, as stones are, but must with labour be digged out of the bowels of it, Prov. 2:4. forecited. This is the gate of heaven; and there must be striving to get in at it. It is not easy to overcome a dark, carnal, hard heart, which unfits us for the study of the scriptures. And indeed many get but little advantage by their reading it; for dig they cannot, and beg they will not; and therefore they go empty from these wells of salvation.
5. Diligence and constancy, 1 Pet. 1:10. It is the hand of the diligent that maketh rich in all cases, while drousiness cloaths a man with rags. See the duty of a Christian with respect to the word, Psal. 1:2. 'His delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.' He suffers not his Bible to gather dust.
Lastly, A thorough search. We should go through every leaf of the book of the Lord, and endeavour to acquire the knowledge of the whole scriptures. For 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,' 2 Tim. 3:16. Some never read all the Bible in their days, but pick out portions here and there only. Searchers do not so, but look into every corner, And we should labour to know more and more of what we have some insight into: for this Bible says one, contains a puncheon that hitherto has not been pierced.

II. The next general head is, to give the reasons of the point, that the book of the Lord should be read, carefully and diligently searched, consulted, and sought into.

1. Because the way of salvation is to be found only therein, John 5:39. forecited. This is the star risen in a dark world, to guide us where Christ is. All the researches of the wise men of the world, all the inventions of men, can never guide us to Immanuel's land, John 1:18. 'No man has seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.' Here, and here only, the counsels of God touching man's salvation are discovered. And so, as salvation is the most necessary thing, the study of the scriptures is the most necessary exercise. To slight it, is to judge ourselves unworthy of eternal life.
2. It is the only rule of our faith and lives, Isa. 8: 20. 'To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them,' Eph. 2:20. 'Ye are built upon the foundation of the prophets and apostles, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner-stone,' Rev. 22:18, 19. 'I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: and if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.' The Bible is the pattern shown on the mount, to which our faith and lives must be conformed, if we would please God. The Lord says to us, as Deut. 28:14. 'Thou shalt not go aside from any of the words which I command thee this day, to the right hand or to the left.' None can walk regularly unless they observe the rule; but how can one observe it unless he know it ? Matt. 22: 29. God has given each of us our post in the world: the Bible is the book of our instructions; and shall we not study it:! The lawyer studies his law-books, the physician his medical books; and shall not a Christian study the book of the Lord ?
3. The Lord himself dictated it, and gave it us for that very end, 2 Tim. 3:16, 17. forecited, Rom. 5:4. 'Whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning.' And has the Spirit of the Lord written it, and will not we read it? Has he given it us to be studied by us, and will we slight it ? This must be horrid contempt of God, and ingratitude to him with a witness. Whose image and superscription is this on the scriptures:! Is it not the Lord's ? Then take it up and read.
4. We must be judged by the scriptures at the great day, John 12:48. That is one of the books opened, Rev. 20:12. This is the book of the Lord's laws and ordinances, by which he will proceed in absolving or condemning us. I own God will go another way to work with those who never had the Bible, Rom. 2:12. But know thou, that seeing it is in the country where thou livest, though thou never readest a letter of it, thou must be judged by it. Is there not good reason then for reading the scriptures:!

III. I proceed now to the practical improvement of this important subject.
USE I. Of information. It lets us see,

1. The necessity and advantage of translations of the scriptures into the vulgar languages, as I have formerly shown.
2. The people not only may without any licence from the church guides, but must read the scriptures, for God has commanded it. The Papists here take away the key of knowledge; for their kingdom riseth and standeth by darkness, and ignorance of the scriptures.
3. The scriptures, whatever difficulties be in them, yet are so plain in things necessary to salvation, that even the unlearned may reap advantage by reading them.
USE II.Of exhortation. I exhort one and all of you to the study of the holy scriptures, to seek out of the book of the Lord, and read. I will lay this before you in several branches, before I come to the motives.
1. Let such as cannot read, learn to read. Ye that have children, as ye tender their immortal souls, teach them to read the Bible. Remember therefore the vows taken upon you at their baptism, and the duty laid upon you by the Lord himself, Eph. 6:4. 'Fathers, bring up your children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord,' 2 Tim. 3:15. Timothy from a child knew the holy scriptures. Ye who got no learning when ye were young, labour to get it now. Alas! some parents, or others that have had some when young with them, have been cruel to their souls, as the ostrich to her young. They have learned them to work, but have been at no pains to teach them to read; so have sent them out into the world a prey to the devourer's teeth, without the ordinary means of the knowledge of God. Thus they are destroyed with gross ignorance. But will ye pity your own souls, though others did not that brought you up? And do not enter yourselves heirs to their sin, by being as negligent of yourselves as they were. Though perhaps they left you nothing to live upon, yet for a livelihood ye have done something for your bodies. And will you do nothing for your souls ? Think not it will excuse thee at the hand of God, that thou art a servant; for thy soul is in as great danger as thy master's, and ignorance of religion will destroy it, Isa. 27:11. There are few but know how to improve the scarcity of servants to the raising of the fee; but will you improve it by getting it in your condition to learn to read, and seek out such families where you may have that advantage, for some such there are, like Abraham's, Gen. 18:10. Nay rather than not do it, give over service for a time, and learn. Neither will it excuse you that now you have a family; for you have an immortal soul still, which gross ignorance of the mind of God in the scriptures will ruin eternally, 2 Thess. 1:8. And the more need you have to read the scriptures, that you have a family, that you may know the Lord's mind yourself, and teach it your family. Such an excuse will no more screen you from everlasting destruction, than covering yourself with leaves will save you from the flames of a devouring fire. Say not you are too old now to learn. It is never out of time to learn to do well for your eternal salvation. If your eyes can serve you to learn, you ought to do it, whatever your age be. But if your sight be so far gone, that you cannot though you were ever so willing; then tremble at the thoughts of the awful judgment of God, that has taken away sight from you, that when you had it would not use it for his glory, and the good of your own soul; and humble thyself, and apply to the blood of Christ, for this thy neglect, lest it prove ruining to thee for ever. And cause others read to you, and beg the teaching of the Spirit, if so be such an old careless slighter of salvation may find mercy.
2. Let such as can read procure Bibles. I dare say one that has a love to the Bible (and that all who love the Lord have) will make many shifts ere they want one. But they must be lawful shifts: for stealing of Bibles, or keeping them up from the owners, is like a thief stealing a rope to hang himself in. But spare it off your bellies or your backs, and procure one rather than want.
3. Let such as have Bibles read them frequently, and acquaint themselves with the book of the Lord. Read them in your families morning and evening; and read them in secret by yourselves; it should be a piece of your duties in secret. Make the Bible your companion abroad and at home, in the house and in the field. It is lamentable to think how unacquainted with the Bible many are, and how little heart they have to it. Ballads and song-books get the place of the Bible with many; and many have no use for it but once in the week, on the sabbath-day, as if it were more for a show with them than the necessity of their souls.
4.Lastly, Not only read it, but search into it, and study it, to know the mind of God therein, and that ye may do it. Be not superficial in your reading of the scriptures, but do it with application, painfulness, and diligence; using all means to read it with understanding; breaking through the surface that ye may come at the hid treasure therein. Reading as well as praying by rote is to little purpose: for a parcel of bare words will neither please God, nor edify your own souls.

I shall now give some motives to enforce this important duty of reading the scriptures.
Mot. 1 God requires it of us, he commands us to do it, John 5:39. 'Search the scriptures The Jews had once the scriptures committed to them; but did God design they should only have them in the temple? nay, in their houses also: Only laid up in the ark ? nay, he designed another chest for them, even their hearts, Deut. 6:6, 7. formerly cited. Let the authority of God sway you, then, and as you have any regard to it, study the scriptures.
Mot. 2. Nay, the very being of the Bible among us is enough to move us to study it, seeing it is that by which we must stand or fall for ever. The proclaiming of the law publicly is sufficient to oblige the subjects; and they cannot plead ignorance, though they get not every one a copy of it. Ignonrntia juris excusat neminem ; for every one ought to know the rule of his duty, and sinners will be condemned by it, if they conform not to it, whether they knew it or not, John 3:19.
Mot. 3. It is an exercise very pleasing to God, so that it be done in a right manner, namely, in faith. For thereby God speaks to us, and we hear and receive his words at his mouth; and obedient ears are his delight.
1. The Spirit of God commends it. It was the commendation of the Bereans, acts 17:11. of Apollos, chap 18:24. of Timothy, 2 Tim. 3:15. And why does the Spirit of God commend others for this, but to recommend the scriptures to us ?
2. There is a particular blessing annexed to this exercise, Rev. 1:3. 'Blessed is he that readeth.' And the children of God in all ages have sucked the sap of it, while they have had sweet fellowship with God in his word, and the influences of the Spirit, to the quickening, enlightening, fructifying and comforting their souls.
Mot. 4. consider what a great privilege it is, that we have the scriptures to read and study, at this day. If Christ had not died for our salvation, the world had never been blessed with this glorious light, but had been in darkness here, as a pledge of eternal darkness. Let us compare our case with that of others, and see our privilege.
1. Look back to the case of the church in its first age before the flood, or the time of Moses, while they had not the written word. The will of God was revealed to some of them by visions, voices, dreams, &c.; but we may say, as 2 Pet. 1: 19. 'We have a more sure word of prophecy.' But that was not the lot of all, but of a few among them; the rest behoved to learn by tradition. Now every one has alike access to the word of divine revelation.
2. Look to the case of the church under the Old Testament. In David's time there was little more than the five books of Moses written; yet how does that holy soul swell in commendation of his little Bible, when little more than the ground-work of this glorious structure was laid! Psal. 119. Take that church at her best in this respect, when the canon of the Old Testament was completed, they saw not the light of the New. Now the whole canon of the scripture is in our hands, this glorious image of God has got the finishing stroke; no more is to be added thereto for ever. The New Testament casts a light upon the types, shadows, and dark prophecies of the Old; And shall we not be sensible of our mercy ?
3. But look abroad into the Pagan world at this day, in comparison of which all that know any part of the scriptures are but few, and the Bible is not heard of among them. That precious treasure is not opened to them to this day, and they can know no more of God but what they can learn from the dark glimmerings of nature's light. O may we not in some sort say, as Psal. 147: 19, 20. 'He sheweth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments unto Israel. He hath not dealt so with any nation: and as for his judgments, they have not known them. Praise ye the Lord.'
4. Look back but a few years hence, when no Bibles were but such as were manuscript, namely, before the art of printing was found out, which was but a little before the reformation from Popery. How rare behoved they then to be ! and how dear, ye may easily perceive. But now how common and easy are they to be had ?
5. Look to the case of those that lived, or yet live, under Popish tyranny, where it is a crime to have or to read the Bible without a special licence. What a struggle had our reformers in this church, ere they could get allowance by the laws of the land to read the Bible in English ? And how is the Bible kept out of the people's hands to this day in Popish countries ? Whereas now ye are pressed to read and study it, a New Testament was very precious in those days of Popish persecution, when one gave a cart-load of hay for a leaf of the Bible. But, alas ! as one says of the French Protestants, When they burned us for reading the scriptures, we burned in zeal to be reading them; now with our liberty is bred also negligence and disesteem of God's word.
6. Lastly, Consider the many helps there are to understand the scriptures beyond what were formerly. Many have run to and fro, and knowledge that way has been increased, both by preaching and writing. And that useful exercise of lecturing, which our church has commanded to be of a large portion of scripture, is no small help. What will we be able to answer to the Lord, if this great privilege be slighted ?
Mot. 5. Consider it has been the way of the people of God, to be much addicted to and conversant in the scripture. So true is it that wisdom is justified of her children. O take heed ye go forth by the footsteps of the flock, and ye will not find them in the way of slighting, but prizing the word of God. Consider,
1. Ye shall find the saints highly prizing the word, Psal. 19. & 119. what large commendations of the word are there ! How sweet was it to Jeremiah ! chap. 15:16. ' Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of my heart.' Peter, who heard the voice on the mount, yet prefers the scriptures to voices from heaven, 2 Pet. 1:19. Paul speaks highly of it, 2 Tim. 3:16. 'All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.' The martyrs highly prized it, and ventured their lives for it. One cast away at sea, and swimming for his life on a mast, having five pounds, which was all his stock, in the one hand, and a Bible in the other, and being obliged to let go one of them, kept the Bible, and let the five pounds go.
2. Ye shall find them much addicted to the study of the word. It was David's companion and bosom oracle, Psal. 119: 97. Daniel at Babylon searches the scriptures of the prophets, Dan. 9:2. So did the noble Bereans, Apollos, and Timothy.
3. Yea, the Spirit of God makes it the character of a godly man, Psal. 1:2. 'His delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.' O how rational is that! The man that is born of God has a natural desire after the word, as the child after the mother's breast, 1 Pet. 2:2. The new nature tends to communion with God; it is by the word the soul has communion with him, for thereby God speaks to us. And therefore it is a sad sign; that there are few true Christians, while there are so few that diligently ply the word.
Mot. 6. Consider the excellency of the scriptures. There is a transcendent glory in them, which whoso discerns cannot miss to hug and embrace them. To commend the Bible to you, I shall say these eight things of it.
1. It is the best of books. They may know much, ye think, that have many good books; but have ye the Bible, and ye have the best book in the world. It is the book of the Lord, dictated by unerring infinite wisdom. There is no dress here with the gold, no chaff with the corn. Every word of God is pure. There is nothing for our salvation to be had in other books, but what is learned from this. They are but the rivulets that run from this fountain, and all shine with light borrowed from thence. And it has a blessing annexed to it, a glory and majesty in it, an efficacy with it, that no other book has the like. Therefore Luther professed he would burn his books he had writ, rather than they should divert people from reading the scriptures.
2. It is the greatest and most excellent of the works of God to be seen in the world, Psal. 138: 2. If the world beautified with sun, moon, and stars, be as a precious ring, the Bible is the diamond in the ring. The sparkling stars, and that glorious globe of light the sun, yet leave but a dark world, where there is no Bible. Were it put to the choice of the saints, either to put the sun out of the firmament, or the Bible out of the world, they would choose the former, but never the latter; for that they cannot want till they go there where they shall read all in the face of Jesus. For that must needs be most excellent that has most of God in it.
3. It is the oracles of God, Rom. 3:2. This was the chief of the Jewish privileges, without which their temple, altar, &c. would have been but dumb signs. The Pagan world did highly reverence and prize the devil's oracles: but we have God's oracles, while we have the scriptures that manifest to us the secrets of heaven, and if we discern aright who speaks in them, we must say, The voice of God, and not of man. Here is what you may consult safely in all your doubts and darknesses; here is what will lead you into all truth.
4. It is the laws of heaven, Psal. 19:7. The Lord and King of heaven is our great Lawgiver, and the laws are written in this book. It concerns us to study it. Hence we must prove our title to heaven, the blessed inheritance, or we will never obtain it. From thence the sentence of our justification must be drawn, else we are still in a state of wrath. Here is the rule we must follow, that we may please God here; and from this book shall the sentence of our absolution or condemnation be drawn at the great day.
5. It is Christ's testament and latter-will, 1 Cor. 11:25. Our Lord has died, and he has left us this Bible as his testament; and that makes his children have such an affection to it. Herein he has left them his legacy, not only moveables, but the eternal inheritance; and his last will is now confirmed, that shall stand for ever without alteration. So all the believer's hopes are in this Bible, and this is the security he has for all the privileges he can lay claim to. This is his charter for heaven, the disposition by which he lays claim to the kingdom. and therefore, if ye have any interest in the testament, ye must needs not be slighters of it.
6. It is the sceptre of his kingdom, Psal. 110: 2. and it is a sceptre of righteousness. It is by this word he rules his church, and guides all his children in their way to the land that is far off. Wherever he hath a kingdom, he wields it; and the nations subjecting themselves to him, receive it. And where he rules one's heart, it has place there too, Col. 3:18. It is a golden sceptre of peace, stretched forth to rebels to win them by offering them peace; to fainting believers, to give them peace. And whosoever will not subject themselves to it, shall be broken with his rod of iron.
7. It is the channel of influences, by which the communications of grace are made, and the waters of the sanctuary flow into the soul, Isa. 49. ult. The apostle appeals for this to the experience of the Galatians, chap 3:2. 'Received ye the Spirit by the law, or by the hearing of faith ? Is the elect soul regenerated? the word is the incorruptible seed, whereof the new creature is formed, 1 Pet. 1:23. Is faith begotten in the heart ? it is by the word, Rom. 10:17. 'Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.' Is the new creature to be nourished, strengthened, quickened, actuated, &c.? Christ is the fountain, faith the mouth of the soul, the word the pipes of conveyance, whereat faith must suck, as the child at the nipples.
8.Lastly, It is the price of blood even the blood of Christ, 1 Cor. 11:25. Had not the personal Word become flesh, and therein died to purchase redemption for us, we had never seen this written word among us. For it is the book of the covenant which is founded on the blood of the Mediator. It is the grant and conveyance of the right to the favour of God, and all saving benefits to believers; for which there could have been no place had not Christ died. And they that slight it, will be found to tread under foot the blood of the covenant.
Mot. 7 Consider the usefulness of the word. If we consider the author, we may be sure of the usefulness of the work. The apostle tells us; that it alone is sufficient to make the man of God perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works, 2 Tim. 3:16, 17. There is no case a soul can be in, but it is suitable to their case, that desire to make use of it. To commend it to you from its usefulness, I will lay these eight things.
1. It is a treasure to the poor, and such are we all by nature, Rev. 3:17. 2 Cor. 4:7. Therefore the Lord bids us search the scriptures, in allusion to those that search in mines for silver and gold. If the poor soul search here, receiving the word by faith, he is made up. He shall find there the discharge of his debt, a new right and title to the mortgaged inheritance. This word of the Lord is a treasure,
(1.) For worth. People make not treasures of any but valuable things. There is nothing in the scriptures but what is highly valuable. There are the eternal counsels of God touching our salvation; life and immortality brought to light; there are the purest percepts, the most awful threatenings, and the most precious promises, 2 Pet. 1:4, &c.;
(2.) For variety. In the scriptures shines the manifold wisdom of God. They that nauseate this book of the Lord, because they find not new things in it after some time perusing it, discover their senses not to be exercised to discern. For should we come to it ever so often, bringing fresh affections with us, we would find fresh entertainment there; as is evident by the glorious refreshment sometimes found in a word, that has been often gone over before without any thing remarkable. And truly the saints shall never exhaust it while here; but as new discoveries are made in it in several ages, so it will be to the end.
(3.) For abundance. There is in it not only for the present, but for the time to come, Isa. 42:23. There is abundance of light, instruction, comfort, &c. and what is needful for the saints travelling heavenward, Psal. 119: 182. And indeed it is the spoil to be gathered by us. Our Lord having fought the battle against death and devils, here the spoil lies to be gathered by us that remained at home when the fight was.
(4.) Lastly, For closeness. This word contains the wisdom of God in a mystery. It is a hid book to most of the world, and indeed a sealed book to those that remain in their natural blindness. Nor can we get into the treasure without the illumination of the same Spirit which dictated it, 1 Cor. 2:10. There is a path here which the vulture's eye hath not seen, which the carnal eye cannot take up, ver. 14. Therefore have we need to seek diligently, and pray, as Psal. 119: 18. "Open thou mine eyes, that I may see wondrous things out of thy law."
2. It is life to the dead: "The words that I speak unto you (says Christ), they are spirit, and they are life,' John 6:63. We are naturally dead in sins; but the word is the means of spiritual life. It is the ordinary means of conversion, Psal. 19:7. " The law of the Lord--converteth the soul;' and of regeneration, 1 Pet. 1:23. 'Being born again of incorruptible seed by the word of God.' By it the soul is persuaded into the covenant, and brought to embrace Jesus Christ. For thereby the Spirit is communicated to the elect of God. Thus it is of use to bring sinners home to God, from under the power of darkness to the kingdom of his dear Son.
3. It is light to the blind, Psal. 19:8. 'The commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.' It is a convincing light, to discover one's state to him, and so to rouse up the soul from its natural security. It pierces the heart as an arrow, and makes the careless sinner stand and consider his way: for it freely tells every one his faults, Jam. 1:25. And while the child of God travels through a dark world, it serves to light him the way, 2 Pet. 1:19. 'a light shining in a dark place ; and lets him see how to set down every step. Hence David says, ' Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path,' Psal. 119: 105.
4. It is awakening to those that are asleep, Cant. 7:9. It is the voice of God which is full of majesty, to awaken the sleepy Christian to the exercise of grace. For as it is the means of begetting grace in the heart, so it is also the means of actuating and quickening thereof, Psal. 119: 90. 'Thy word hath quickened me.' Here the Christian may hear the alarm sound to rise up and be doing. Here are the precious promises as cords of love to draw, and the awful threatenings to set idlers to work.
5. It is a sword to the Christian soldier, Eph. 6: 17. 'The sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.' Whoever has a mind for heaven must fight his way to it: for none get the crown but the conquerors, Rev. 3:21. They must go through many temptations, from the devil, the world, and the flesh; and the word is the sword for resisting them. It is an offensive and defensive weapon. We see how our Lord Jesus wielded it, Mat. 4:4, 7. 'It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.--It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.' And whatever be our temptations, if we be well versed in the word, we may from thence bring answers to them all.
6. It is a counselor to those who are in straits, doubts, and difficulties, Psal. 119: 24. 'Thy testimonies are--my counsellors.' Many a time the children of God, when tossed with doubts and fears, have found a quiet harbour there; and have got their way cleared to them there, when they knew not what to do. And no doubt, if we were more exercised unto godliness, and looking to the Lord in our straits, we would make more use of the Bible, as the oracles of Heaven.
7. It is a comforter to those that are cast down, Psal. 119: 49, 50. " Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope. This is my comfort in my affliction: for thy word hath quickened me.' The way to heaven lies through many tribulations, and afflictions are the trodden path to glory. But the Lord has left his people the Bible as a cordial to support them under all their pressures from within and without. And indeed the sap of the word, and the sweetness of the promises, are never more lively relished, than when the people of God are exercised under afflictions. Then does that heavenly fountain flow most plentifully, when, created streams being dried up, the soul goes for all to the Lord. To sum up all in one word,
8.Lastly, It is a cure for all diseases of the soul, Prov. 4:22. 'My words are--health to all their flesh.' There is no malady that a soul is under, but there is a suitable remedy for it in the word, 2 Tim. 3:16, 17. frequently quoted above, being adapted by infinite wisdom to the case of poor sinners. By it the simple may be made wise, the weak strengthened, the staggering confirmed, the hard heart melted, the shut heart opened, &c. it being the means the Spirit makes use of for these and all other such purposes.
Mot. 8. Consider the honourable epithets given to the scriptures. Amongst which I name only three.
1. The scriptures of truth, Dan. 10:21. Men may wrest the scriptures to patronize their errors, but the whole word of God is most pure truth. Here are no mistakes, no weaknesses, that adhere to all human composures. Here we may receive all that is taught us without hesitation. The hearers of men, or readers of their works, are divided into four sorts: Some like sponges, that suck up all, both good and bad: Some like sand glasses, who, what they receive at the one ear let go at the other: Some like a strainer, that lets all the good pass through, but keeps the dregs: Some like the sieve, that keeps the good grain, and lets through what is not worth. These last are only to be approved; but in the reading of the word we must be as the first sort.
2. Holy scriptures, 2 Tim. 3:15. They are the word of a holy God, from whom nothing can come but what is holy. It consists of holy commands, holy promises, holy threatenings, instructions, directions, &c. And holy hearts will love and reverence them for that very reason.
3.Lastly, The book of the Lord. What can be said more to commend it to us, if we have any regard to the Lord himself? If I could tell you of a book that fell down from heaven, and were to be had by any means, who would not be curious to have such a book and study it ? This is the book that contains the counsels of Heaven, and is given from Heaven to the church, to let men see the way to it.
Mot. last. Consider the danger of slighting the word. It exposes to sin, and consequently to the greatest danger. How can they keep the way of the word that do not study to acquaint themselves with it ? They must needs walk in darkness that do not make use of the light; and this leads to everlasting darkness, John 3:19. If by this word we must be judged, how can they think to stand that neglect it ?

I conclude with some directions for the study of the scriptures.

1. Keep an ordinary in reading them, that ye may be acquainted with the whole; and make this reading a part of your secret duties. Not that ye should bind up yourselves to an ordinary, so as never to read by choice, but that ordinarily this tends most to edification. Some places are more difficult, some may seem very bare for an ordinary reader; but if you would look on it all as God's word, not to be slighted, and read it with faith and reverence, no doubt ye would find advantage.
2. Set a special mark, one way or other, on those passages you read, which you find most suitable to your case, condition, or temptations; or such as ye have found to move your hearts more than other passages. And it will be profitable often to review these.
3. Compare one scripture With another, the more obscure with what which is more plain, 2 Pet. 1: 20. This is an excellent means to find out the sense of the scriptures; and to this good use serve the marginal notes on Bibles. And keep Christ in your eye, for to him the scriptures of the Old Testament (in its genealogies, types, and sacrifices) look, as well as those of the New.
4. Read with a holy attention, arising from the consideration of the majesty of God, and the reverence due to him. This must be done with attention, (1.) To the words;(2.) To the sense: and (3.) To the divine authority of the scripture, and the bond it lays on the conscience for obedience, 1 Thess. 2:13.
5. Let your main end in reading the scriptures be practice, and not bare knowledge, Jam. 1:22. Read that you may learn and do, and that without any limitation or distinction, but that whatever you see God requires, you may study to practise.
6. Beg of God and look to him for his Spirit. For it is the Spirit that dictated it, that it must be savingly understood, 1 Cor. 2:11. And therefore before you read, it is highly reasonable you beg a blessing on what you are to read.
7. Beware of a worldly fleshly mind: for fleshly sins blind the mind from the things of God; and the worldly heart cannot favour them. In an eclipse of the moon the earth comes between the sun and the moon, and so keeps the light of the sun from it. So the world, in the heart, coming betwixt you and the light of the word, keeps its divine light from you.
8. Labour to be exercised unto godliness, and to observe your ease. For an exercised frame helps mightily to understand the scriptures. Such a Christian will find his case in the word, and the word will give light to his case, and his case light into the word.
9. Lastly, Whatever you learn from the word, labour to put it in practice. For to him that hath shall be given. No wonder they get little insight into the Bible, who make no conscience of practising what they know. But while the stream runs into a holy life, the fountain will be the more free.

2007/4/10 14:53Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

A 29-Point Guide to Reading the Bible:

There are certain basic principles that guide all verbal communication. God, in giving us the Bible, has stooped down to our level to communicate His message to us in written form. God does not reveal His will to us through our emotions, but through a book written down by the hands of men. As a result, we must be careful to read the Bible as we would any other book-- we have to read it with certain principles in mind. Of course, the Bible is not merely a human book; it is God's revelation to us, so we must submit to the Bible in a way we submit to no other book. The Bible must be given the role of correcting our beliefs, attitudes, emotions and actions. We must have the proper attitude before the text:

1. We are required to study the Scriptures.

But beyond this, we are given the privilege of receiving the message that God repairs our sin-ravaged souls. Those in darkness need a lamp at their feet. Bible study is both a duty and a privilege. Deuteronomy 29:29; Psalm 119.

2. To misinterpret a Biblical passage is sin.

It is wrong to misrepresent anyone, but especially God. As R.C. Sproul has said: More often than not, when we misinterpret the Bible, it is not because God has failed to do His work, but because we have failed to do ours.

3. We must accept that only the Spirit of God knows the things of God.

We cannot expect to have a satisfactory understand the Scriptures unless we have the Spirit-- unless we are truly Christian. This is why I’m extra-cautious when taking a class or reading a biblical commentary written by an unbeliever.

4. We must be prepared to submit to and obey the Scripture.

Whatever it requires, we must be in submission to God’s word if we are to interpret it correctly. Have you ever changed your behavior in an area simply because the Scripture commanded it? If not, you have some soul-searching to do before God.

5. We must not approach the Bible in an individualistic manner. Ask for help.

God has gifted some Christians with gifts of knowledge, wisdom and teaching to degrees that He has not given to all. God's people read the Scripture together-- do not think you can understand every biblical text alone. Do not despise any spiritual gift. Self-sufficiency before the text is arrogance before God.

6. We may not speculate beyond what the Scriptures teach.

What God has given is enough for us. Don’t make up stuff, even if it sounds neat or makes sense to you. Our speculations must be subservient to the text of Scripture. Deuteronomy 29:29.

7. We must interpret every biblical passage in light of the whole of Scripture.

An interpretation of one biblical passage must “fit” with other passages, and with the overall teachings elsewhere in the Bible. God does not contradict Himself. We can never “pit” one biblical text against another.

8. Always interpret unclear passages in light of clearer passages.

But be prepared to accept the possibility of having misinterpreted previous passages.

9. Don't pretend to be "neutral."

We all have firmly held beliefs which we bring to the Scripture. Be open about what you believe, and be prepared to change what you believe if Scripture requires.

10. Don’t jump off into the mystical deep end.

There is nothing “spiritual” about finding secret, hidden or mystical meanings in biblical texts when they’re not really there. Remember, to misinterpret a biblical passage dishonors God. He has spoken to us in human language, so we understand his word by studying its human language—in a sense, like we study any other book.

11. No “lucky-dipping.”

This is when you pray, “God tell me what decision I should make,” and then blindly drop your finger on a page of the Bible to find out what the answer is. God does not lead us in this manner. Lucky-dipping is an occult form of divinization that seeks to manipulate God into telling us what he has not told us. The Lord does not want usto by-pass our God-given decision-making abilities. God wants us to value what he values, be willing to do whatever he teaches, and discern (with the help of elders) how we can best glorify God.

12. There is ultimately only one correct interpretation.

Two contradictory interpretations cannot both be right. When two people in a small group have contadicting interpretations of a passage, at least one of them must be wrong, even if that sounds intolerant. We have to be concerned with truth. The only proper meaning of a passage is the meaning given to it by God, communicated to us through intelligible human language.

13. Remember to read the Bible as a needy sinner, not as a self-righteous legalist.

We’re not to ask the text, “What do I have to do to make God like me today.” Jesus rejected the Pharisees because they searched the Scriptures, thinking that by them they could gain eternal life. Eternal life is free from Jesus for those who know they’re failures and want peace with God. When we open the Bible, we need to ask “How can God’s grace change me?” “How can I live in Christ’s life?”

The Bible's Main Purpose: Redemption

It is easy to miss the main point the Scriptures teach us, even though we study them carefully. In John 5:39, Jesus rebuked the biblical scholars of His day because they missed the very center of God's communication in His Word. "You diligently study the Scriptures because you think that by them you possess eternal life. These are the Scriptures that testify about Me." Christ the Redeemer is the center of the biblical message. The Bible is not merely a rule book, telling us how we may fix ourselves. We are fallen, broken people, completely unable and incompetent on our own. Christ must save us. Christ must enable us to live the Christian life. Christ, who has brought us safe thus far, must also take us home.

Three Questions to ask of every biblical text:

1. What does this text tell me about my need for grace?

2. What does this text tell me about the God of grace?

3. How does this text tell me to respond in faith to God's grace?

14. We must seek God’s help in applying the biblical text to our lives.

This is often difficult. The biblical books were written to different people thousands of years ago-- how can we apply them directly to ourselves? I’ve heard it said, “Reading the Bible is like reading the mail of people who died 2,000 years ago.” I just can't remember the last time I was tempted to eat meat sacrificed to idols-- and it's been years since I last offered children to Molech in the fire. Bryan Chapell proposes looking at the text's “Fallen Condition Focus” as a key to properly applying a passage to ourselves.

Fundamentally, the question is this: What do Christians at the twilight of the twentieth century have in common with ancient Israelites or first century Greeks? The answer: sin. Sin has infected every corner of our lives, leaving us hopeless and impudent, desperately needing a gracious God to restore us. This is our Fallen Condition, the state we find ourselves in, whereby we need Christ's redemptive work (his help)-- not just His forgiveness, but the ability to obey as well.

To bridge the gap and apply the Scriptures,

FIRST: look for the Fallen Condition Focus in the biblical text. What problem was the Scripture originally addressing in its own historical context? Fear? Immorality? Lack of knowledge? Lack of hope? Lack of faith?

NEXT: look for how you and other Christians share in that same Fallen Condition. What do you have in common with those in the text?

THEN: ask the text, "How does God provide the grace and love (whether encouraging or disciplinary love) necessary for His people then and now?

15. Apply the Scriptures according to their biblical emphasis.

Do not make one element in the Christian life dominant, and do not neglect another aspect of Scriptural teaching. You may be asking for God’s help with the same one bad habit again and again when he’s trying to work on some other area of your character. Don’t become sidetracked onto one concern.

16. Take into account cultural differences.

Give me a holy handshake or a heavenly hug, not a holy kiss. Kissing in the ancient world meant something different than what kissing means now. Sorry, Harry, I’ll offer you my hand instead. Still, be warned: a lot of people mis-use this “cultural” principle. Whatever they don’t like is just “cultural” and not for us today. This is a sure sign of unbelief. Care is needed here, as well as a real heart-submission to the text. Still, even though the principle is often abused, there really are some instances where the application of biblical principles plays out differently in our culture than it did in Jesus’ day.

17. Read a passage in light of its Genre.

There are many different kinds (or “genres”) of literature in the Bible. And each different kind of literature has special rules to follow in interpreting it. When we pick up a children's storybook, we assume different rules of interpretation than when we look at a lab write-up or a law book or a first-hand account of a battle. Is this to be taken as historical fact? Probably not with the storybook. Is this a morally binding command? Probably not with the lab write-up. To interpret a passage correctly, we must know what kind of literature, what genre, we are seeking to understand. There are a lot of specifics that could be mentioned, but here are just a few characteristics of seven biblical genres (adapted from Dan McCartney and Charles Clayton, Let the Reader Understand, 1994. p.210-228.):

A Short Guide to Biblical Genres

A. Theological History:

Most of Genesis through Esther, the Gospels and Acts are theological history. Theological history is just that: both history and theology. It seeks to give an accurate account of events, just like with modern history, but also seeks to interpret those events from God's perspective. Ask:

How has God worked out His purpose with His people in the past?

How has this action established a people for God in the past?

How should we, as God's people today, trust and obey this same God?

B. Law:

The law reveals what God requires of His people. Not simply "commands," the law is more fully understood as God's instruction for His covenant people-- the law does not come against us as our enemy, but rather leads us to Christ and guides us in grateful living in obedience to Christ. In the Old Testament, we must distinguish universal commands, as found in the Ten Commandments ("Do not murder.") from case laws, which show how those universal commands applied to specific situations ("If..., then...."). Further, in this new covenant era, we must distinguish between three aspects of the Mosaic Law:

The Moral Law: This is an expression of God's character, the universal moral norm for all people everywhere forever.

The Ceremonial Law: These regulated the religious ceremonies of ancient Israel, such as the sacrifices, which have been fulfilled now in Christ. The Ceremonial aspect of the Mosaic law has now expired.

The Judicial Law: These were the administrative laws of the state of Israel before Christ came. As no state is now in covenant with God, these too have expired (See Mt. 19:7-9 regarding divorce, for example.)

C. Poetry:

Poetry in the Old Testament is distinguished, not so much by rhyme or meter, but by parallelism. A parallel consists of two or more lines of roughly the same length (in Hebrew) which address the same topic. Look out for how the second line in the parallel advances or alters the thought of the first. See the Psalms.

D. Prophecy:

Most biblical prophecy is not concerned to foretell future events (though prophets did this). Most prophecy is concerned simply to bring God's message to His people-- the condemnation of sin, the warning of coming judgment and the call to repentance are common themes. It was as more forth-telling than fore-telling. Often when long-range predictions were given, they were fulfilled in more symbolic ways than many suppose, and often were not fulfilled all at once.

E. Parables:

Parables, used most by Jesus Himself, are stories which illustrate spiritual truth. Jesus used parables as much to conceal as to reveal (Mt. 13:12-15). Parables often have one point for each major character, though sometimes they make only one simple point. The key to understanding many parables in to look for an unusual detail in the story, for that detail (like a really big mustard tree) often reveals the meaning (the kingdom of God starts out small but gets really big).

F. Epistles:

Most of the New Testament is composed of epistles, or letters. One common problem is that epistles were written to specific people with specific circumstances. The interpretation of certain passages will thus depend on how one understands the historical situation the letter addressed. This urges us to be cautious-- it is easy to "import" a foreign situation into the text so as to yield a desired (and false) meaning. Most passages, however, are not situation-specific.

G. Apocalyptic:

Revelation and portions of Daniel are apocalyptic. Apocalyptic literature describes earthly events from God's perspective, as part of the heavenly struggle between God and the forces of evil. Apocalyptic literature assures us that God will gain victory in the end through His Messiah (Dan. 7:13-14; Rev. 1:12-18). Such literature is highly symbolic, and such symbols must be interpreted in light of what the first readers would have understood (often in light of Old Testament imagery). Another characteristic of apocalyptic is dualism between good and evil, holy and profane, the true God and Satan, the pretender.

18. Analyze large sections of the Bible, not just words & Sentences.

Imagine a Christian man is facing severe trial. Suffering has shown its face at his door, and his world would seem to be crumbling. In desperation, he cries out to God, "Lord, show me what I should do!" The man closes his eyes, opens his Bible, lets his finger drop and... what is God's word for him today? "So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself." What went wrong?

The problem was a failure to study the passage (Matthew 27) as a whole, focusing in on just one verse instead. (Of course, the man erred also in bringing his own question to that text, rather than allowing the text to pose its own questions.) Context is key. Even among those who do show concern for a text's context, Bible study too often gets bogged down in concern over the precise meaning of particular words, or becomes a mere listing off of verses without grasping the overall argument.

It may come as a surprise to learn that words mean nothing by themselves. A word can have any number of meanings. We may speak of being "saved by the bell," or we may speak of saving chairs or of "getting saved." What does the verb "to save" actually mean? Not much, unless there is someone doing the saving, someone or something being saved, and a larger argument from which we can determine which meaning of "to save" is being used. The study of a larger discourse, not merely the study of individual words, is vital to properly interpret a biblical passage. (I just saved this on my computer.)

Dan Doriani suggests "thinking in paragraphs" as one way in which to analyze a larger discourse:

FIRST: Start by reading through a chapter (more or less) two or three times, making mental or written notes on its chief ideas.

NEXT: Try to capture the essential thought of each paragraph in a single sentence.

THEN: As you work on this, keep an eye on preceding and following paragraphs. They will help you remember where you are

on the ‘ladder of ideas.’

Example: Discourse Analysis of Romans 5:1-5

Analyzing a large discourse (studying a longer section) works best in the epistles (letters), where a single argument is being made in any given passage. A formal discourse analysis will look at the relationship between the various phrases in a discourse so as to trace the flow of thought. How does this statement relate to the previous one? And where does it fit within the overall argument the author is presenting? For Romans 5, this might look like this:

v.1 since we have been justified ground for what follows

we have peace with God consequence #1

through Jesus Christ means of peace

v.2 through whom we have access to grace consequence #2

in which we now stand specification of grace #1

and we rejoice specification of grace #2

v.3 rejoice in sufferings consequence #3

because suffering produces perseverance reason

v.4 perseverance, character further reason

character, hope even further reason

v.5 hope does not disappoint final cumulative reason

because God has poured our his love reason for reasons

by the Holy Spirit means of love

Romans 5 in a bigger context:

Looking at the entire letter to the Romans, we can see Romans 5 as part of an even larger argument in Romans 1-8:

Romans 1:1-15 Introduction: God’s gospel

Romans 1:16-17 THEME: "For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed."

Romans 1:18-3:20 The need for righteousness from God

Romans 3:21-31 Righteousness received by faith alone now

Romans 4:1-25 Righteousness by faith alone in the Old Testament

Romans 5:1-21 RESULT #1: Peace with God

Romans 6:1-23 RESULT #2: Righteous behavior

Romans 7:1-25 RESULT #3: Freedom from condemnation of law

Romans 8:1-39 RESULT #4: The indwelling Spirit as assurance

19. Understand that the Bible makes use of some common literary devices.

The biblical authors have used a great many literary devices in composing the Scriptural record. It is simplistic to think that we can just take the "plain and simple sense" of any passage. Was Jesus speaking literally when He said, "I am the door?" Does the Messiah have a door knob? Obviously not. We immediately realize that such sayings are figurative. Jesus was using metaphor; He is like a door in that all must go though Him. Here are a number of literary devices to watch for:

Common Literary Devices in the Bible.

metaphor & simile: a figurative comparison between two things, such as Ps. 18:2, "The LORD is my rock," or Lk. 13:32, "Go tell that fox (Herod)...." Fox in the first century meant "crook" (not "sly"). Herod was not really a big, hairy animal that howled—he was really human.

synecdoche: representing the whole by a part, or vice versa. Judges 12:7, "Then Jephthah the Gileadite died and was buried in the cities of Gilead." Jephthah was not dismembered. He was buried in only one city, but “cities” stands for the one.

metonymy: substituting one word for another, as in "The White House issued a statement today." The house itself didn’t talk, the President’s press secretary actually issued the statement. Similarly, Paul uses "the circumcision" to refer to the Jewish people (the medical practice wasn’t causing problems in Paul’s day, the Jews were).

hyperbole: rhetorical overstatement, as in 1 Kings 10:27, "The king made silver as common in Jerusalem as stones...." Jesus also used this device when he said that if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off, and if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. The point he was driving home was that we need to radically amputate the sin in our lives. He doesn’t want us to mutilate our bodies, though. Blind men can still lust. Handless men can still covet.

irony: the use of words in which the intended meaning is the opposite of the expression, as in Michal's words to David in 2 Samuel 6:20, "How the King of Israel has distinguished himself today, disrobing in the sight of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!"

ellipsis: shortening a phrase without shortening the meaning. In 2 Cor. 5:21, "sin" for "sin offering." Jesus was not actually sin.

anthropomorphism: describing God in human terms, as in John 10:29, "no one can snatch them out of My Father's hand." The Father has no hand, but is a spirit (John 4:24), invisible (Col. 1:15).

personification: giving human qualities to inanimate objects, as in Ps. 24:7, "Lift up your heads, O you gates." Even if the gates actually had heads, they could never lift them up on their own.

20. Watch out for illogical leaps.

Try to find each illogical step in this paragraph:

Why Are Fire Engines Red? They have four wheels and eight men; four plus eight is twelve; twelve inches makes a ruler; a ruler is Queen Elizabeth; Queen Elizabeth sails the seven seas; the seven seas have fish; the fish have fins; the Finns hate the Russians; the Russians are red; fire engines are always rushin'; so they're red.

The next few points will look at some of these wrong ways (“fallacies”) of reading the Bible.

21. Avoid the Root Fallacy.

This is the mistake of defining a word with its etymology—the original meaning the word had centuried earlier. A word used in 100AD may not have the same meaning it had in 300BC. The English word "nice," for example, comes from the Latin nescius, which means "ignorant." Words change meanings over time. When your mother says you're nice, she diesn’t mean that you’re ignorant.

22. Don’t trip over the Totality Transfer.

This is the mistake of pouring all the meanings of a particular word into every use. Often a concordance will list several meanings of a word, just like a dictionary may have several definitions of a word. These are only the possible meanings. The error may sound like this: "We see here in Strong's Concordance that flesh means the body and the sin nature. The body, according to the word flesh, is the fundamental core of sin." Only one of those definitions is correct in any one instance. “Green” for example can mean either the color green or envious. If a guy says his friend who failed the test he aced is green, he does not mean both that he is envious and colorful—just that he is envious. Watch out for totality transfer.

23. Don’t argue from a text’s silence on an issue.

This is the mistake of assuming that silence on a given topic necessarily has theological significance. "If Paul had believed in Hell, he certainly would have taught it in Philippians" Really? Why? His silence in Philippians means nothing.

24. Negative Inferences can be misleading.

This mistake assumes that negative inferences from a true statement are also true. "All Mormons own a Bible. Jessica is not a Mormon. Therefore Jessica does not own a Bible." The problem? Such a statment may or may not be true.

25. Don’t fail to distinguish between apples and oranges.

This mistake assumes that because two things are alike in some respects, they must be alike in all respects. "Since in Christ there is neither male nor female, women can be ordained as elders." Wrong. When Paul says this in Galatians, he is discussing our equality as equally united to Christ in salvation. He is not discussing whether equal men and women always have the same roles to play in God’s design. Equality and interchangeability are different categories.

26. Be on the lookout for the Excluded Middle.

Sometimes people will set two (and only two) options before you when in fact there are more than two possibilities. This is an error I come across all the time, even from the sharpest of people. This mistake sets up a false either-or dilemma, when other options are present. Like this: "What matters about Adam and Eve is not whether they ever actually existed, but the theological significance of their story." Oh really? I agree that the theological significance matters. But I also realize that it matters because it is true—it actually happened. Make-believe fairy tales are not theologically significant because they aren’t real. Both—fact and theological significance—matter. This is the third option that wasn’t mentioned. Watch out for people who say, ”Which is it—this or that?” Ask yourself whether a third (or fourth) option exists.

27. Don’t assume that a biblical term has a technical meaning unless you know otherwise.

Sometimes phrases have technical meanings, sometimes they don’t. If I’m watching a football game, and someone mentions a “super bowl,” I assume their talking about a national football championship game. This use of “super bowl” has a technical meaning. However, if I’m in the crystal section of Dillard’s department store, and someone says, “Look at that super bowl,” I assume that super bowl doesn’t have a technical meaning. Many Word-Faith prosperity preachers on television read the phrase "word of faith" in Rom. 10 as a technical term for "naming it and claiming it,” wrongly justifying their gospel of greed. “Son of man” is another example. In some Old Testament texts, it simply means a “human being”—as opposed to a son of a sheep, which would be a baby sheep. Elsewhere in the Old Testament, “Son of man” refers to the coming messiah who (though divine) would come to Israel as a human being.

28. Remeber: The Bible is ultimately not a book about humans and their religion, but about God and his eternal purpose.

The Bible’s message is not that the Israelites sought God, but that God sought the Israelites. It is not all about us coming to Christ, but about Christ coming to us and saving us. The focus is on God and his greatness, faithfulness and mercy, not on us and our faithfulness. All the glory goes to God, not to us. Whether written in or not, God is the chief actor on every page of the Bible.

29. A final reminder: Enjoy reading the Bible.

This won’t always be easy. Your sinful nature will try to make it a chore. It’s not. (Funny, my sin nature never complains about my waisting hours watching TV, but ten minutes in the Bible can raise the firsest objections from my sin!) You have been given a wonderful love-letter from God. Read it, love it, hide it in your heart, and tell everyone else about it!

2007/4/10 15:07Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

PROFITING FROM THE WORD A.W Pink

1. The Scriptures and Sin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is grave reason to believe that much Bible reading and Bible study of the last few years has been of no spiritual profit to those who engaged in it. Yea, we go further; we greatly fear that in many instances it has proved a curse rather than a blessing. This is strong language, we are well aware, yet no stronger than the case calls for. Divine gifts may be misused, and Divine mercies abused. That this has been so in the present instance is evident by the fruits produced. Even the natural man may (and often does) take up the study of the Scriptures with the same enthusiasm and pleasure as he might of the sciences. Where this is the case, his store of knowledge is increased, and so also is his pride. Like a chemist engaged in making interesting experiments, the intellectual searcher of the Word is quite elated when he makes some discovery in it; but the joy of the latter is no more spiritual than would be that of the former. Again, just as the successes of the chemist generally increase his sense of self-importance and cause him to look with disdain upon others more ignorant than himself, so alas, is it often the case with those who have investigated Bible numerics, typology, prophecy and other such subjects.

The Word of God may be taken up from various motives. Some read it to satisfy their literary pride. In certain circles it has become both the respectable and popular thing to obtain a general acquaintance with the contents of the Bible simply because it is regarded as an educational defect to be ignorant of them. Some read it to satisfy their sense of curiosity, as they might any other book of note. Others read it to satisfy their sectarian pride. They consider it a duty to be well versed in the particular tenets of their own denomination and so search eagerly for proof-texts in support of "our doctrines." Yet others read it for the purpose of being able to argue successfully with those who differ from them. But in all this there is no thought of God, no yearning for spiritual edification, and therefore no real benefit to the soul.

Of what, then, does a true profiting from the Word consist? Does not 2 Timothy 3:16,17 furnish a clear answer to our question? There we read, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: that the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." Observe what is here omitted: the Holy Scriptures are given us not for intellectual gratification and carnal speculation, but to furnish unto "all good works," and that by teaching, reproving, correcting us. Let us endeavor to amplify this by the help of other passages.

1. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word convicts him of sin. This is its first office: to reveal our depravity, to expose our vileness, to make known our wickedness. A man’s moral life may be irreproachable, his dealings with his fellows faultless; but when the Holy Spirit applies the Word to his heart and conscience, opening his sin-blinded eyes to see his relation and attitude to God, he cries, "Woe is me, for I am undone." It is in this way that each truly saved soul is brought to realize his need of Christ. "They that are whole need not a physician, but they that are sick" (Luke 5:31). Yet it is not until the Spirit applies the Word in Divine power that any individual is made to feel that he is sick, sick unto death.

Such conviction that brings home to the heart the awful ravages which sin has wrought in the human constitution is not to be restricted to the initial experience which immediately precedes conversion. Each time that God blesses His Word to my heart, I am made to feel how far, far short I come of the standard which He has set before me, namely, "Be ye holy in all manner of conversation" (1 Pet. 1:15). Here, then, is the first test to apply: as I read of the sad failures of different ones in Scripture, does it make me realize how sadly like unto them I am? As I read of the blessed and perfect life of Christ, does it make me recognize how terribly unlike Him I am?

2. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word makes him sorrow over sin. Of the stony-ground hearer it is said that he "heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; yet hath he not root in himself" (Matt. 13:20,21); but of those who were convicted under the preaching of Peter it is recorded that they were pricked in their heart (Acts 2:37). The same contrast exists today. Many will listen to a flowery sermon, or an address on "dispensational truth" that displays oratorical powers or exhibits the intellectual skill of the speaker, but which, usually, contains no searching application to the conscience. It is received with approbation, but no one is humbled before God or brought into a closer walk with Him through it. But let a faithful servant of the Lord (who by grace is not seeking to acquire a reputation for his "brilliance") bring the teaching of Scripture to bear upon character and conduct, exposing the sad failures of even the best of God’s people, and, though the crowd will despise the messenger, the truly regenerate will be thankful for the message which causes them to mourn before God and cry, "Oh, wretched man that I am." So it is in the private reading of the Word. It is when the Holy Spirit applies it in such a way that I am made to see and feel my inward corruption’s that I am really blessed.

What a word is that in Jeremiah 31:19: "After that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded." Do you, my reader, know anything of such an experience? Does your study of the Word produce a broken heart and lead to a humbling of yourself before God? Does it convict you of your sins in such a way that you are brought to daily repentance before Him? The paschal lamb had to be eaten with "bitter herbs" (Ex. 12:8); so as we really feed on the Word, the Holy Spirit makes it "bitter" to us before it becomes sweet to our taste. Note the order in Revelation 10:9, "And I went unto the angel, and said unto him, Give me the little book. And he said unto me, Take it, and eat it up; and it shall make thy belly bitter, but it shall be in thy mouth sweet as honey." This is ever the experimental order: there must be mourning before comfort (Matt. 5:4); humbling before exalting (1 Pet. 5:6).

3. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word leads to confession of sin. The Scriptures are profitable for "reproof" (2 Tim. 3:16), and an honest soul will acknowledge its faults. Of the carnal it is said, "For every one that loveth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved" (John 3:20). "God be merciful to me a sinner" is the cry of a renewed heart, and every time we are quickened by the Word (Ps. 119) there is a fresh revealing to us and a fresh owning by us of our transgressions before God. "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy" (Prov. 28:13). There can be no spiritual prosperity or fruitfulness (Ps. 1:3) while we conceal within our breasts our guilty secrets; only as they are freely owned before God, and that in detail, shall we enjoy His mercy.

There is no real peace for the conscience and no rest for the heart while we bury the burden of unconfessed sin. Relief comes when it is fully unbosomed to God. Mark well the experience of David, "When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer" (Ps. 33:3,4). Is this figurative but forcible language unintelligible unto you? Or does your own spiritual history explain it? There is many a verse of Scripture which no commentary save that of personal experience can satisfactorily interpret. Blessed indeed is the immediate sequel here: "I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin" (Ps. 32:5).

4. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word produces in him a deeper hatred of sin. "Ye that love the Lord, hate evil" (Ps. 97: 10). "We cannot love God without hating that which He hates. We are not only to avoid evil, and refuse to continue in it, but we must be up in arms against it, and bear towards it a hearty indignation" (C. H. Spurgeon). One of the surest tests to apply to the professed conversion is the heart’s attitude towards sin. Where the principle of holiness has been planted, there will necessarily be a loathing of all that is unholy. If our hatred of evil be genuine, we are thankful when the Word reproves even the evil which we suspected not.

This was the experience of David: "Through thy precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way" (Ps. 119:128). Observe well, it is not merely "I abstain from," but "I hate"; not only "some" or "many," but "every false way"; and not only "every evil," but "every false way." "Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right, and I hate every false way" (Ps. 119:128). But it is the very opposite with the wicked: "Seeing thou hatest instruction, and castest my words behind thee" (Ps. 50:17). In Proverbs 8:13, we read, "The fear of the Lord is to hate evil," and this godly fear comes through reading the Word: see Deuteronomy 17:18, 19. Rightly has it been said, "Till sin be hated, it cannot be mortified; you will never cry against it, as the Jews did against Christ, Crucify it, Crucify it, till sin be really abhorred as He was" (Edward Reyner, 1635).

5. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word causes a forsaking of sin. "Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity" (2 Tim. 2: 19). The more the Word is read with the definite object of discovering what is pleasing and what is displeasing to the Lord, the more will His will become known; and if our hearts are right with Him the more will our ways be conformed thereto. There will be a "walking in the truth" (3 John 4). At the close of 2 Corinthians 6 some precious promises are given to those who separate themselves from unbelievers. Observe, there, the application which the Holy Spirit makes of them. He does not say, "Having therefore these promises, be comforted and become complacent thereby," but "Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit" (2 Cor. 7:1).

"Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you" (John 15:3). Here is another important rule by which we should frequently test ourselves: Is the reading and studying of God’s Word producing a purging of my ways? Of old the question was asked, "Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way?" and the Divine answer is "by taking heed thereto according to thy word." Yes, not simply by reading, believing, or memorizing it, but by the personal application of the Word to our "way." It is by taking heed to such exhortations as "Flee fornication" (1 Cor. 6:18), "Flee from idolatry" (1 Cor. 10:14). "Flee these things"—a covetous love for money (1 Tim. 6:11), "Flee also youthful lusts" (2 Tim. 2:22), that the Christian is brought into practical separation from evil; for sin has not only to be confessed but "forsaken" (Prov. 28: 13).

6. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word fortifies against sin. The Holy Scriptures are given to us not only for the purpose of revealing our innate sinfulness, and the many, many ways in which we "come short of the glory of God" (Rom 3:23), but also to teach us how to obtain deliverance from sin, how to be kept from displeasing God. "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee" (Ps. 119:11). This is what each of us is required to do: "Receive, I pray thee, the law from his mouth, and lay up his words in thine heart" (Job 22:22). It is particularly the commandments, the warnings, the exhortations, we need to make our own and to treasure; to memorize them, meditate upon them, pray over them, and put them into practice. The only effective way of keeping a plot of ground from being overgrown by weeds is to sow good seed therein: "Overcome evil with good" (Rom 12:21). So the more Christ’s Word dwells in us "richly" (Col. 3: 16), the less room will there be for the exercise of sin in our hearts and lives.

It is not sufficient merely to assent to the veracity of the Scriptures, they require to be received into the affections. It is unspeakably solemn to note that the Holy Spirit specifies as the ground of apostasy, "because the love of the truth they received not" (2 Thess. 2:10, Greek). "If it lie only in the tongue or in the mind, only to make it a matter of talk and speculation, it will soon be gone. The seed which lies on the surface, the fowls in the air will pick up. Therefore hide it deeply; let it get from the ear into the mind, from the mind into the heart; let it soak in further and further. It is only when it hath a prevailing sovereignty in the heart that we receive it in the love of it—when it is dearer than our dearest lust, then it will stick to us" (Thomas Manton).

Nothing else will preserve from the infections of this world, deliver from the temptations of Satan, and be so effective a preservative against sin, as the Word of God received into the affections, "The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide" (Ps. 37:31). As long as the truth is active within us, stirring the conscience, and is really loved by us, we shall be kept from falling. When Joseph was tempted by Potiphar’s wife, he said, "How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God?" (Gen. 39:9). The Word was in his heart, and therefore had prevailing power over his lusts. The ineffable holiness, the mighty power of God, who is able both to save and to destroy. None of us knows when he may be tempted: therefore it is necessary to be prepared against it. "Who among you will give ear . . . and hear for the time to come?" Isa. 42:23). Yes, we are to anticipate the future and be fortified against it, by storing up the Word in our hearts for coming emergencies.

7. An individual is spiritually profited when the Word causes him to practice the opposite of sin. "Sin is the transgression of the law" (1 John 3:4). God says "Thou shalt," sin says "I will not"; God says "Thou shalt not," sin says "I will." Thus, sin is rebellion against God, the determination to have my own way (Isa. 53:6). Therefore sin is a species of anarchy in the spiritual realm, and may be likened unto the waving of the red flag in the face of God. Now the opposite of sinning against God is submission to Him, as the opposite of lawlessness is subjection to the law. Thus, to practice the opposition of sin is to walk in the path of obedience. This is another chief reason why the Scriptures were given: to make known the path which is pleasing to God for us. They are profitable not only for reproof and correction, but also for "instruction in righteousness."

Here, then, is another important rule by which we should frequently test ourselves. Are my thoughts being formed, my heart controlled, and my ways and works regulated by God’s Word? This is what the Lord requires: "Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves" (Jas. 1:22). This is how gratitude to and affection for Christ are to be expressed: "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15). For this, Divine assistance is needed. David prayed, "Make me to go in the path of thy commandments" (Ps. 119:35). "We need not only light to know our way, but a heart to walk in it. Direction is necessary because of the blindness of our minds; and the effectual impulsions of grace are necessary because of the weakness of our hearts. It will not answer our duty to have a naked notion of truths, unless we embrace and pursue them" (Manton). Note it is "the path of thy commandments": not a self-chosen course, but a definitely marked one; not a public "road," but a private "path."

Let both writer and reader honestly and diligently measure himself, as in the presence of God, by the seven things here enumerated. Has your study of the Bible made you more humble, or more proud—proud of the knowledge you have acquired? Has it raised you in the esteem of your fellow men, or has it led you to take a lower place before God? Has it produced in you a deeper abhorrence and loathing of self, or has it made you more complacent? Has it caused those you mingle with, or perhaps teach, to say, I wish I had your knowledge of the Bible; or does it cause you to pray, Lord give me the faith, the grace, the holiness Thou hast granted my friend, or teacher? ‘Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear unto all’ (1 Tim. 6:15).

2007/4/16 4:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy