SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What is Humility?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
todd

California

Re: What is Humility?

Great question. I have come to understand humility much differently over the past year or so.

Quote:
"Are there times that a proud person looks humble and a humble person looks proud? How would you know the difference?"

I don't think we can be sure to know the difference apart from, possibly, specific revelation from God. And to presume to know seems dangerous because it seems like judging people's hearts.

Check out Daniel 4:28-37.

Was King Nebuchadnezzar humble or proud when he said,

"At that time [i]my[/i] reason returned to [i]me[/i]. And [i]my[/i] majesty and splendor were restored to [i]me[/i] for the glory of [i]my[/i] kingdom, and [i]my[/i] counselors and [i]my[/i] nobles began seeking [i]me[/i] out; so [i]I[/i] was reestablished in [i]my[/i] sovereignty, and surpassing greatness was added to [i]me[/i]."

How would you have judged him?

2006/3/4 12:54Profile
sj

Re:

Was King Nebuchadnezzar humble or proud when he said,

"At that time my reason returned to me. And my majesty and splendor were restored to me for the glory of my kingdom, and my counselors and my nobles began seeking me out; so I was reestablished in my sovereignty, and surpassing greatness was added to me."

How would you have judged him?

Well if what he said was true then i guess he wouldnt have been being proud. I mean it's ok to recognize that you have splendor and majesty as long as you know who gave it to you.
That's what the C.S. Lewis quote was about when he said humility dispenses with modesty.

If you're good at something it sure seems more modest to say "God has blessed me to do this", than to say "no i'm really not that good at it".
If you were a wealthy person it would be right to say "It is God who gives me the power to get wealth" than to say "I'm really not that wealthy, Bill Gates, well there goes a wealthy guy!"
Some things just sound proud to the religious mind like:
Isn't it interesting to note that Moses was the one who wrote he was the most humble man on the earth?
Jesus said he was humble and lowly in heart. His Spirit wrote that by the way.
I mean,
The Pharasiees were offended because Jesus claimed to be God. Well...that's pretty offensive...unless it's true.

2006/3/4 21:11Profile
todd

California

Re:

Good points sj. I guess I'm not clear on the Lewis quote.

Quote:
"If you're good at something it sure seems more modest to say "God has blessed me to do this", than to say "no i'm really not that good at it".
If you were a wealthy person it would be right to say "It is God who gives me the power to get wealth" than to say "I'm really not that wealthy, Bill Gates, well there goes a wealthy guy!"

What if I just said, "Thank you" when someone told me I'm good at something? Or what if I just said, "I have the power to get wealth" or "my ability to get wealth is great"? Could I still be humble and talk like that?

I like your points about Moses and Jesus.

2006/3/5 15:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy